PDA

View Full Version : Hand drawn style... kinda

Twister47
08-28-2005, 09:02 PM
Just thinking of some ideas for a project I'm gonna do tonight.

You can take an object in 3D and render it with outlines to make it look 'hand drawn' but is there a method anyone knows of to make those lines shaky from frame to frame? To simulate a hand drawn animation style?

I'm thinking about it, and the first thing I think of is maybe just making a really long shaky line, and then using a random expression on its movement along an axis... but the more I think about it, that'll probably not be as easy as it sounds haha.

While I continue to ponder this, anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks

Mike RB
08-28-2005, 09:25 PM
you could run a fractal displacement with stepped movement through the object so each frame would be a little different, also animate on two's or three's with no motion blur to get a more cartoony look.

Mike

Mike RB
08-28-2005, 10:07 PM
I did a quick test to try and simulate the animation school type pencil test:

http://www.elementvfx.com/WebDemo/animball.mov

I played with it a bit in combustion after rendering from LW to add the flicker/smudging/jitter

Mike

Bonzodogboy
08-29-2005, 12:36 AM
excuse my ignorance but what is "animate on two's or three's"?
this effect interests me... If you could post a quick tute, reference, i would like to play with this technique...
:)

jayezon
08-29-2005, 03:33 AM
Quote: what is "animate on two's or three's"?

It all has to do with frames which then transfers into the timing of animation. Take hand drawn animation as an example. Motion Pictures run at 24 frames a second. To animate on one's means you hand draw 1 picture for each frame in the second (total of 24 pictures per second). To animate on two's means you hand draw 1 picture for every second frame (total of 12 pictures per second). And of course animating on three's means you hand draw 1 picture for every third frame which gives you 8 drawings per second. So as a result keyframing varies which effects the timing of the animation. But you can also mix the technique. You can have a picture run for 3 frames, then the next run for just 1 frame, then back to ones or twos. Animating on one's looks more fluid and realistic. Animating on two's saves some time and money (hence this method is used mostly for TV series). It all depends on the visual style you would like to achieve for your film.

Hope that all made sense.

Jay.

lillmagnus
08-29-2005, 07:46 AM
By using a moving displacement and outline you can do something like this:
http://chottomite.com/RS_trailer.mov

Twister47
08-29-2005, 01:56 PM
wow both of those examples look fantastic.

Okay so let me get this straight. Simply, you'd have a displacement texture layer thats moving. So that the texture is rough and continually changing, and then all you are doing is rendering it with outlines?

My only question is, for example in Mike's example, the lines had varying opacity/darkness (how would you do that effect) and also how'd you make the line so textured? Was that rendered like that, or did you do that in post?

Thanks for all the replies!

Mike RB
08-29-2005, 03:43 PM
all the smudgyness and texture is done in post. Also a pretty big shake on every frame to simulate poor pin registry on the paper.

lillmagnus
08-29-2005, 05:44 PM
Take a look here if you want to know in detail how i did the Red Shoe.

http://www.chottomite.com/handdrawn.html

tufif
08-29-2005, 08:09 PM
Very helpful tutorial, thanks!

Twister47
08-29-2005, 09:22 PM
Wow, just did a few tests of that style in my project and it looks awesome!

I'm going to tweak it a bit, make it a little cleaner, but this is exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks for all the input guys!

Bonzodogboy
08-29-2005, 11:19 PM
Thanks jayezon, what you said made perfect sense.
:)
Thanks

CGTalk Moderation
08-29-2005, 11:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.