PDA

View Full Version : Beach in Bahia - Need advice

DoInferno
08-27-2005, 04:41 PM
Hi guys. This is a traditional watercolor im making to give as a present to my uncle, who let me and my girlfriend use his house for ten days at my vacation. Its supposed to be the beach near the house.

I made the drawing there, and im not using reference for colors. Just leting my imagination guide the palette.

Anyway, i feel there is a lot missing, and before going on i felt i needed to hear your opinion, so... If you please... =]

http://www.carlosranna.com.br/cgtalk/praia_salvador_wip01.jpg

Euphrosyne
08-27-2005, 06:52 PM
I don't know. I used to do watercolors but they were so hard to correct if anything went wrong. It seems the clouds are a little dark. Maybe if the foliage was a little darker in the shadow areas it might help balance that. It might be nice to put some birds on the beach or in the sky. It looks like a beautiful place, and you have a nice start on it.

DoInferno
08-31-2005, 12:12 AM
Hi, Euphrosyne. Thanks for the comments.

Youre right about the foliage. Ill do that for sure. How it is at this point the cloud takes all the viewer atention and the trees doesnt quite appear.

About the birds, i wont putem. I dont think they would help me achieve the look im looking for.

At this stage, im really worried about the use of the colors. Maybe im a little afraid of the fact that they look too fantastic... That is it. Thats whats making me insecure about the pic.

What yall think about it?

walrus
08-31-2005, 02:10 AM
I don't think the colors are bad at all. I'm a sucker for a beautiful sunset. To integrate the sky colors into your scene more, it might help to bring some of those warm colors into the water on the left, which you could achieve with a couple of light washes.

You also might want to consider using a wet brush and no pigment to soften the bottom edges of the clouds some: They're a bit strong, especially for clouds.

No matter what, it's a nice piece and it's clear you've put a lot of time into it, and I'm sure your uncle will appreciate it!

-mike

Euphrosyne
08-31-2005, 04:28 AM
For the clouds you can use a brush to wet the surface of the clouds and then dab away at the paint with paper towels or kleenex to absorb some of the pigment. Also don't be afraid to put is some dark areas of green or other colors in the foliage. Leaves always have shadows and it will make your painting more lively and balanced. Don't be afraid of color, fear is the enemy of success. If it doesn't work out blot it off, put in even more of the color to balance the area. Or if the worst happens you can always start over. Remember only the daring succeed consistantly.

CGTalk Moderation
08-31-2005, 04:28 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.