PDA

View Full Version : Furry Rabbits Commercial

CoolCalb
08-27-2005, 03:03 PM
some of you might have seen parts of them on my demoreel that I put on, here, about a month ago, I thought I put it in full.
here is the rabbits ad in full, and the Citroen DS animation I did, without sound.

The story is about an impatient Kid rabbit that asks his father, how can you tell
the Carrots are ripe and ready. His Dad tells him he developed this uniqe method,
but it turns out that it has one flaw... the guys at the "SunFrost" Company,
pick it up before him...

The rabbits commercial, took about 2.5 months to make. One month of this
was for R&D. During this R&D, we had to decide what software we are going to use
for this Ad, based on the Quality/Speed/Look of the fur, Maya and XSI have to offfer.

XSI hair and Fur, gave us better results, it looked better, and we came up
with a workaround, to render it very fast, while maintaining a "semi" FG+ Occlusion lighting.
(we could render a PAL frame, with two rabbits, each have around 600K hairs,
at around 15-20 min a frame, on one dual Xeon machine..)
http://www.coolcalb.com/pix/bunds.jpg

Rabbits Ad (http://www.coolcalb.com/Animation/rabbits.zip) 15MB QT sor3
Citroen DS (http://www.coolcalb.com/Animation/ds.zip) 4MB QT sor3

Credits:

Myself, Raz Oved, and Yaniv Gorali, did 1 month of R&D.
Raz and Yaniv, modelled and textured the rabbits,
We all combed,trimmed,messed with their fur together http://www.xsibase.com/forum/YaBBImages/smiley.gif
Yaniv did the lighting and rendering
Myself did the rigging and Animation.

ivanisavich
08-27-2005, 10:34 PM
Hey man....

Well I couldn't understand a word of what was being said...but those cute furry little rabbits are soo cool!

Great job!

shakii
08-28-2005, 02:40 AM
Amazing awesome stuff...!! You guys remind me of Keytoon Animation Studios.. How did you guys come about assembling the team? Did you guys meet at work / school, ...etc.?

CoolCalb
08-28-2005, 07:27 AM
Thanks!

ivanisavich, thanks again for your kind words :) you know I am a fan of your animation skills...
I've made a version with English subtitles.. but I lost it...

shakii, we work in the same company... we met here, and actually just one of us (not me)
had studied animation and design in art school... three of us are good friends.. thats really
cool working all those hours, with friends that make each other laugh, regardless of animation..

:)

ofir3dvb
08-28-2005, 01:14 PM
Wow !

I love it, when we gonna see it on TV?

Tasimasu
08-28-2005, 04:15 PM
nice commercial , you all did nice jop. but ım so curious about the conversation :)

Cryptite
08-28-2005, 06:45 PM
I only picked up a bit of what they were saying; but the animation was excellent. I like how the little rabbit's ear kept falling down. Great stuff, and cute!

gent_k
08-29-2005, 10:59 AM
I saw some of it on your reel, and I think the final commercial turned out great. And very impressive rendertimes too, considering the amount of fur...

CoolCalb
08-29-2005, 11:55 AM
thanks guys!

Ofir, it should air tommorow (Tuesday) night...

Cryptite, hehe.. you speak a little hebrew?

as soon as the workload will decrease, I'll write a small "making of"
about how we set up the fur... it's a simple trick, nothing fancy :)

blz
08-29-2005, 12:39 PM
excellent work
rabbits are quite indeed :)

lw_dragon
09-05-2005, 02:14 PM
excellent work! the way the animation was fluid was great, and the hair was pretty amazing I must say.

CoolCalb
09-05-2005, 02:20 PM
thanks guys!!!

I hope we would do more ads with those rabbits, for the client..

thoughtcriminal
09-06-2005, 08:30 PM
Hi Man,

Great Job!

I watched it frame by frame, and it looks simply amazing.
I wonder who was the director and how much was he involved in the making of this spot. More specifically - how much freedome you got in directing the character animation and adding little gags like the ear falling on the young rabbit's face and the father shaking his tail like that.

I liked it so much that I had to find some flaws...
here's what I found - In the shots where a hand grabs the carrot, there's discontinuity in the position of the father on the ground, and the child rabbit is placed right in the path of the human hand.
The nose animation is really cute but I think it's just a bit overdone, and a bit sharp edged (I mean it should effect a larger area of the face).
The fathers tail shaking seems a bit out of timing, the last two shakes don't seem natural to me.

of course I'm nitpicking, I wish I had the abillity to work for two and a half months on something like that, and to get the level of refinement that you guys got...

All I can say is - applause! :applause:
...and it connects really well with the other works in your outstanding showreel ;-)

CoolCalb
09-07-2005, 07:55 AM
thanks Poshe'a..

The director was not much involved...
he mostly directed the studio shooting of the field.
We did a quick rough Pre-viz before the shooting, and later the director and his editor
cut the shots, around the pre-viz.

regarding the animation, I had almost total freedom.
Only the ear falling, is something that the director required.
I consider myslef the animation director on this spot.

I had alot of fun animating this... but ofcourse, did not have enugh time.
2.5 months of work, left around two weeks to animate, and as you know, the clients
want to see progress and FAST... so you finish a couple of shots, they aprove or disaprove,
and you need to move on.. so there's almost no time to refine the animation.
Most of what you see, is first pass of animation :)

regarding the flaws, we know about the dis-continueinity... the backplates shots,
determine where they will stand.. and they where inconsistent... but you can only
see this when going frame-by-frame.

You'll be surprised, but this is exactly how a rabbit nose moves.. we had a real one
for a month here, and his nose moves all the time, and *only* his nose.. it's like a seperate
part from the face.. :)

the dad's dance... well first I animted him doing a much more smooth, elegant a$$ wiggle,
but the client wanted to accent his wiggle.. it turned out not so good.. I know

anyway... thanks alot for all your compliments... just wanted to say again, that Raz Oved
and Yaniv Gorali, also worked on this and had as much contribution as I did.

thoughtcriminal
09-07-2005, 08:45 PM
Well thanks for your reply!

I liked the car too, the animation is great, and the style's awsome.
Just one last question - are you planning on doing an independent project some day?
I know that broadcast does mainly commercials and promotional spots, do you get oportunities to work on in-house productions once in a while?

CoolCalb
09-08-2005, 08:27 AM
I have tons of ideas for independent projects, but I lack the time :)

In the past two years, the workload here, became unbelievable... we hardly get
more than two weeks total, of no-work-days in a year..

Before that, I had time to come to work, and work on personal stuff... (and still get paid)
but now it's almost impossible...

recently I bought a Scripting for XSI DVD, so I take advantage of every free day,
to sit and learn Jscript... :) right now it's more important to me than personal projects..

thanks!

thoughtcriminal
09-08-2005, 05:23 PM
Hi again,
Good knowledge of scripting might even become your saviour in turms of saving time and managing projects, although I guess your projects are too diverse to fit in a heavy pipelined environment.
But diversity is a blessing :)

Anyway, you are good in what you do, and you know best what tools can help you speed up proccesses, so having scripting capabilities is your golden coin, and all I can say is - good luck with that.

CGTalk Moderation
09-08-2005, 05:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.