PDA

View Full Version : Character TD/Rigging Demo Reel

Kriz
08-26-2005, 06:51 PM
Hello,

I have recently finished my schooling at a private college with a concentration as a character TD. I offer a great passion in character rigging and scripting, as well as, many other computer skills. I am looking for employment as a character TD/rigger and I am also willing to relocate.

Critique is welcome as I'm always looking to enhance my skills.

You can also check out my website at http://www.chrisluce.com (http://www.chrisluce.com/)
Thanks,

Chris

Quicktime Mov (13.2mb)
R - Click, Save As -> Chris Luce Demo Reel (http://www.chrisluce.com/movies/chrisLuceDemoReel_QT.mov)

john_homer
08-30-2005, 08:25 PM
thats a really impressive demo reel. well done.
the only critique I have (and its very small and simple to change) is the Fk and IK joints both visible all the time, its pretty distracting, and I wouldn't want to animate with that... I would suggest only having them both visible during the blend.

you also show lots of the rigs, but no final deformations. I think you should...

nice work, good luck with the job hunt (shouldn't be too hard for ya ;)

.j

rblitz7
08-30-2005, 08:33 PM
yeah really cool, but maby different music will be better...

Kriz
08-30-2005, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the reply John

Ya i noticed on the tahoro rig I left the fk bones visible. My fault for not noticing, but you can hide those. I am currently working on some more deformation work and hopefully I can post that stuff as well.

As for the music... everyone is going to have different tastes.

john_homer
08-30-2005, 09:17 PM
My fault for not noticing, but you can hide those.
but you shouldn't have to ;)

I am currently working on some more deformation work and hopefully I can post that stuff as well.
looking forward to it.

but maby different music will be better...

unless the music is offensive, it simply doesn't matter what it is.
lots of companies will view it without sound anyway...

.j

Zoox
08-30-2005, 11:42 PM
really nice work :thumbsup: keep it up and good luck with your endevours :)

shakii
08-31-2005, 12:33 AM
Hi, first of all.. a job well done! I can see that you definitely have the skills...

From an animator`s point of view, I just want to point a few things out, that.. animating fingers using UI maybe VERY TEDIOUS.. and would love to see more mouth shapes, and more improved controls on scorpion`s tail. But nonetheless, that`s all nit-picking, as you would probably get the suggestions from lead animator/TD before starting out a new rig.

lildragon
08-31-2005, 09:58 AM
Very nice reel, excellent showcase of your skills. If you're looking for a gig a plug should help ya out. Hopefully you won't be looking for long with skills like that. Aside from that I'm also in agreement with John's comments. Good luck!

-lild

gpepper
08-31-2005, 10:29 AM
Really nice ! I th_ink U should find some work soon ! :thumbsup:

sequestrian
08-31-2005, 12:45 PM
Nice... How long have you been rigging?

Kickflipkid687
08-31-2005, 12:49 PM
Hey,

I think your reel is awesome. The scorpion rig and animation was really well done. I like how you setup all those sliders for every aspect of the character. I think the music was good, and made it fun to watch. But, maybe have music without words or something, or a piece of music that everyone might like? But, good luck, and I know you will get a job soon.

Wilson-3d
08-31-2005, 12:57 PM
the reel is looking good. I think the music is to hard though. I like it myself but I think it is still to close to the dreaded grunge techno that every reel had on it for a ten year span.
Good job.

Winner
08-31-2005, 01:09 PM
firstly you have to get rid of that music -- honestly who wants to listen to that whilst watching your reel ?

overall I thought your reel was ok. I liked your custom UI, and the process for saving poses was nice. Personally I would have shown a bit more about the custom rig scripts. My main crit would be that despite your obvious effort - your animation really doesnt do any justice to your setups - i would highly recommend getting a good animator to do a few simple but clean animations to show off your rigs... in my opinion your animations didnt really show the characters using any of your setup !

having said that - you've clearly grasped the technical side, and Im sure you`ll do fine in this industry.

edit:-

just something i wanted to note also - be wary of setting up lots of character controls via linear sliders in an interface separate from the character. The facial controls are a bit different, purely because of the way they work - they are very efficient and user friendly. You may find that lots of animators dislike animating attributes via linear sliders - most animators prefer to interact with the actual character controls on screen ( and on character ).

Bluder
08-31-2005, 01:35 PM
Hi nice reel, here my Critique. as an animator i didn't think the troll had enough facial expression.
on the rigg am animating right now has about 30 blandshapes on the mouth alone and even more on the eyes and eyebrows.
Are u able to have a locator as the point where the eyes are looking (or someting like that)? because it a pain animating the eyes to look at someting while the head is moving.
but i liked that u hade a seperate UI whit a face cam. nice.

am not a TD my self, just an animator so i have a misson for u if u want. its a problem that none of the rings i downloaded have solved. its the leg pivot problem.
On the fot u allways want the pivot to be at the ancle so the rotation allways are correct but u also want to be able to stand on the heel, toe ect. but on every rigg i'v tested when u roll for example the pivot stays at the same place as when roll is at "0".

have u solved this? =)

and i agree whit winner about that last part about sliders. avoid it if u can.

gl whit the jobb hunt.

Miezis
08-31-2005, 01:59 PM
the music rocks! :buttrock:
I was expecting some sort of groove armada, Thomas Newman, Hans Zimmer sort of stuff, but here :D this gives a new taste to whole demo.

oh, yeah and thanks for explaining why is Maya prefered in animation :) your demo reel helped!

skello
08-31-2005, 02:13 PM
server resets every 30 seconds?? :shrug:

eek
08-31-2005, 02:26 PM
Hi Kriz,

First off nice reel, its great to see people are interested in becoming TD's and showing off there work.

A few crits (not many):

The music is a tad heavy, and becomes distracting. just a little - maybe bring it down in volume.

This has been covered but yes the animation doesnt do the rigs justice, its light and the weight seems a little floaty. Either split the reel into two sections one with final results one production, or do gradient wipes.

Be specific, show off specifics well, i.e spend a chunk on facials, main controls, mid and low level controls. And importanly show off something new with each character you show!
Dont show of same tech on each character.

A good breakdown i think is:

facials, bipeds, quads, odds(wings,etc) scripts ,R&D, dynamics etc

It shows you can do basic stuff but also advance scripting and dynamics. Another really important thing with TD'ing is the ability to develop new tech and ideas. A great example of this is when Jason Ospair's morph rig came out with the quad controls - everybody went nuts (including me) and copied it!

Because a massive part of TDing is solving issues, developing tech. In a recent interview i had after showing my work - the interviewer was like "err, i didnt know you could do that stuff in.."

Another really important thing is to do a proper breakdown of your work either on your site as it plays or on the reel before each section. eg (in alphabetical order), facial rigging, facial rigging with gui etc etc I would also quote the modeller at the end with you credits and show off more TDing!

So nothing major, just specialize with flair! And again nice work!

eek

G0st
08-31-2005, 02:45 PM
thats some very nice and fluent work, is there any chance you will be releasing your Maya Scripts?

G0st

shmooel
08-31-2005, 03:00 PM
Hey I would listen to Eek on this one, sounds like he really has some good suggestions, I would have to say; "Everything that Eek said, plus one." Its obvious that you have Mad skills in the Technical side, you will do well! As far as your demo goes most people will be heavily impressed. However I would take the ending out of it. Technical stuff is your cup of tea, art, unfortunately is not! If you want to be a TD show it! Leave your chicken scratch drawings off of your demo reel. Unless asked for! They don't lend to what you are trying to show. They don't seem well done and don't show your awesome skills as a technical guy. I think the difference between a killer reel and a students reel is that students tend to want to show everthing they have ever done, were a top rate reel shows only the very best and leaves you hanging wanting more. Its a teaser of you work not an art gallery. If they like what they see in the first ten seconds then they won't have to see anymore, Think of it as you have ten seconds, in some cases more or less to impress the buyer(in this case the person looking at your reel) do you want to waste it on your name or get right into it? Remember that huge studios only have a few seconds to look at your reel and if it is awesome they will ask you for more, or just hire you. Have I driven it home? Well I think a few adjustments and there will be nobody who wouldn't want to hire you!

Neox
08-31-2005, 03:08 PM
haha and again a model done by me on the frontpage, my evil plan is working really well :deal:

;)

Nice work on the rigs!
I always thought of tahoro beeing a bit more heavy, walking slower, but you've done good work on him, the rig is great, love it :love:

loocas
08-31-2005, 03:19 PM
Great reel mate!

Very good TD abilities! :thumbsup:
Good luck with the job-hunting!

http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/rating/rating_4.gif from me! :applause:

Troy
08-31-2005, 03:47 PM
nice rigging work, shame about the music though...

agreenster
08-31-2005, 05:20 PM
How much of these scripts are yours and how many are from others? It looks like you use a lot of jsFacialWin and DW stuff and Osipa tech and Macaroni Kazoo stuff...

Nice work though! ;)

leigh
08-31-2005, 05:54 PM
I think this reel is okay for a recently graduated student, but for a TD I think it is important to show more variety - all the character models that you've shown here were very simple. You should try to get at least one or two complex characters (especially another non-humanoid one) and show that off too ;)
This will widen up your job prospects and overall appeal to potential employers :)

pearson
08-31-2005, 06:19 PM
I have to agree about the music. It's a cool song, but it didn't work with your reel. I was trying to watch what you were doing in the slider window, plus what was happening to the character, and there's essentially this guy yelling in my ear the whole time. It just became distracting, imho, and I finally turned it off.

I admit that rigging isn't my thing, but it seems to me that showing walk cycles isn't the best way to show off what your rig can do.

Good luck on the job hunt!

Kriz
08-31-2005, 06:40 PM
Thanks for all the critque guys it's really appreciated. Can't believe I got front page.

shakii - the animators have the option to use the ui or not. Except for the file i/o bit. It's great to hear from animators as they are the ones using the rigs.

sequestrian - I have been rigging for nearly a year.

winner - the animations were done by other students just starting out

bluder - it was just a matter of time that i was given to rig these characters. I would've loved to have spent more time on facial controls if I could've. About the foot pivot pm me with a more detailed question and i will get back to you.

miezis - thanks I thought it rocked too. And your welcome.

skello - I'm not sure?

eek - thanks for the crit. I have just applied to bioware and i'm hoping to get a response.

G0st - My automated rigging is still in progress and I would like to make it into a nice UI. As for the character's custom UI's they are specific to each.

shmooel - the art was required by the school to be put into the reel.

Neox - thanks for a great model to work with it

agreenster - i have never seen jsFacialWin. I used only 1 function of dw's work for joint orientation and he is credited in my script. I have never used kazoo. Everything was scripted by me.

Leigh - I've had a hard time getting good models to work with

And thanks to everyone else that has posted

eek
08-31-2005, 06:54 PM
Kris,

eek - thanks for the crit. I have just applied to bioware and i'm hoping to get a response.

Cool! , ill pm you my reel if you wanna check it out. What softs can you use apart from maya?

eek

stewartjones
08-31-2005, 07:00 PM
Man! That reel is super nice. I am inspired! :thumbsup:

Oh, and I liked the music! hehe! :D

kiaran
08-31-2005, 07:09 PM
Congratulations Kriz! It's cool to see your skills improving so quickly. Good luck with the job hunt although I'm sure 'luck' has nothing to do with it!

Cheers :)

Plus2019
08-31-2005, 08:08 PM
Nice reel.
The first thing I noticed is that it seems that your rigs are rather dependant on animating by sliders.
This may not be so but if that's the case but than I would suggest showing the controls not the sliders.
My experience has taught me that animators hate ajusting attributes/sliders to pose their characters.
Second, it felt like after I saw the first rig I saw them all.
What was lacking in my opinion is what I call rig-support tools, though the saving of poses did fall into this catgory. But you might want to show tools for replacing rigs/geometry midway during production, converting/copying animation from one rig to another, etc.
I found that work on a rig never stops after the rig has been built. Of course this highly depends on the type of production but they are nice exercices at the least.
I think the presentation of the reel is well done (not talking about the music here :)) but I think it will help you if you show off a bit more TD skills than just walkcycles and facial-animation.

Good luck job hunting, you won't have much problems.

snwbrdn7
08-31-2005, 09:16 PM
Great work on the custom interface. I think that it looks very intuitive. Seriously great work. Thanks for sharing and I'll bet you have interest already from studios who want to hire you.

I like the music. It's fine. It's not a huge deal. People want to see what you can do not your taste in music. :rolleyes:

DerPapa
08-31-2005, 11:33 PM
Very nice indeed! Did you thought about givin' credits to Neox, for the first char, instead of cgnetworks?

cheers
Michael

john_homer
09-01-2005, 01:05 AM
am not a TD my self, just an animator so i have a misson for u if u want. its a problem that none of the rings i downloaded have solved. its the leg pivot problem.
On the fot u allways want the pivot to be at the ancle so the rotation allways are correct but u also want to be able to stand on the heel, toe ect. but on every rigg i'v tested when u roll for example the pivot stays at the same place as when roll is at "0".

hi Blunder..
if I understand what you are saying, you are sorta asking for a paradox (or an i miss using the word).. sorta like asking ctl1 to follow ctl2 but also for ctl2 to follow ctl1...
you can have 1 or the other.. not both... like cake ;^)

.j

kiaran
09-01-2005, 01:36 AM

This would require automatically adjusting the pivots 'on-the-fly'. I agree with John Homer, this is sort of impossible, at least with the way Maya works.

john_homer
09-01-2005, 01:41 AM
This would require automatically adjusting the pivots 'on-the-fly'.
just imagine what that would do to existing animation :banghead:

this is sort of impossible.

haha, nice way to not over-commit... quote of the day :applause:

.j

Kriz
09-01-2005, 01:54 AM
Thanks again for the crits everyone,

eek- check out my resume that is on my website for progs. I never received that pm but i think kiaran and john may have answered your question.

kiaran - thanks for the making of leon dvds and the art of rigging book. Excellent tutorials. Couldn't have done it without your help.

plus2019 - the animators have a choice to use the UI if they want to. As i posted earlier everything in the ui except the file i/o can be accomplished otherwise.

snwbrdn7 - thank you

DerPapa - I dl'd the model from cgnetworks and I couldn't find anywhere that actually stated where they had got the model from. I just found out today when Neox posted who actually created him.

Thanks again to everyone else, and good luck on your work as well.

AVTPro
09-01-2005, 02:54 AM
Beautiful rig stuff.

What platform is your Maya on?

And how'd you learn all that? school? DVD? Book? or just futzing around?

What learning material would you suggest. Still haven't tackled the maya rig monkey yet :cool:

Kriz
09-01-2005, 03:12 AM
Hey AVTPro,

I used Maya 6.5 on a Windows XP Pro machine.

I learned the fundamentals of 2d and 3d animation from school. From there on I was pretty much on my own. I learned from a variety of books, dvd tutorials, and the internet, as well as my own exploration into the software.

Learning material I used and suggest would be Stop Staring by Jason Osipa, The Making of Leon DVD's and The Art of Rigging by CGToolkit, variety of Gnomon DVDs, the Inspired books, Complete Maya Programming by David Gould, other CG members, and a variety of websites. (i know there are many others I just don't remember:shrug: )

LordHades
09-01-2005, 03:44 AM
Yep, one for the crazy canuck who uses Maya... Wait another one woot! Great rigs, I like the sliders, maybe see if you can try your luck with a higly detailed, heavily weighted cg model. I think you'd shine with the facial expressions once you get a nice model like that.

harikatt
09-01-2005, 04:42 AM
Really a nice demo, the modeling and the boning controls are good...

good quality for bone controls...

harish
techno3dmedia.com

phoenix
09-01-2005, 05:20 AM
good work....

Bluder
09-01-2005, 11:28 AM
This would require automatically adjusting the pivots 'on-the-fly'. I agree with John Homer, this is sort of impossible, at least with the way Maya works.

it can't be impossible =) well i had a friend who came pretty close by "set driven key" the pivot to the roll value so it would move along whit the ancle. the only prob was that the motion was linear and a roll have a "arc". it can't be impossible. this "little" problem is the reason that many stop motion och 2D animators who starts whit 3D rather have a simpel fot whit no roll and stuff and just animate frame for frame when they need to stand on toe ect.

john_homer
09-01-2005, 08:40 PM
it can't be impossible =) well i had a friend who came pretty close by "set driven key" the pivot to the roll value so it would move along whit the ancle. the only prob was that the motion was linear and a roll have a "arc".

thanks not the only problem...
doing that will totally screw up any existing animation on that node.

BTW "pretty close" is easy, I came pretty close to doing a back-flip once, hurt like hell when I landed on my head :D
.j

Kriz
09-02-2005, 04:36 PM
Hello again,

LordHades - Ya for canucks! Too bad Alberta doesn't have a whole lot of TD/rigging work. I'm really looking into work around Vancouver or anywhere else for that matter. I've been having a hard time finding a high quality model to work with. If anyone has one for me to rig that would be greatly appreciated!

hari007 and phoenix - thanks

LordHades
09-03-2005, 06:31 AM
Actually I am almost done one, I'll keep you posted. add me to your msn payn1@msn.com. As for work I hear ya bud, that's why I've created my own project where I have a bunch of peeps working with me but no rigger as of yet. Keep up the great work cya soon!

warpy
09-04-2005, 05:24 AM
yo kriz,

no wonder this got front page, good stuff !

dwarns
09-18-2005, 01:35 PM
Nice to see some Calgarians on here! Dude i went to the same school as you! probaly a semester befor you. Good work on your reel.

Warns

mondo-ray
09-18-2005, 05:53 PM
hey great stuff dude,
good to see more of the canucks getting into the fray.
the automated rig scripts are awesome! also really liked the custom UI.
the reel really demonstrated the solid technical side of things, in my humble opinion the animations for the rigs didn't do justice... never the less good stuff.
g'luck on the job hunt 'n all.
music was fine. rock on. :buttrock:

Kriz
09-19-2005, 04:36 PM
Warns - Thanks. Ya I was in DA10, I didn't really talk to anyone from the previous class. I'm doing some TAing there now since Nick isn't the full time instructor. Good luck!

Mondo - Thanks as well. Like I said before the animation was done by other students in my class.

CGTalk Moderation
09-19-2005, 04:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.