PDA

View Full Version : Grass help

grafiti
08-26-2005, 06:31 PM
Hello.

I need everyones help.
I need to make a grass for residence exterior.
It has to be really low resolution but it needs to look good.

The image below showes the way that i am making the grass right now
it is a simple plain with a grass texture, but its too flat i needed to make it look more realistic.
If anyone has any idea plz tell me.
Thx

Ian Jones
08-30-2005, 02:33 PM
You play 3d games? check out how they attempt to solve the problem. A bunch of flat planes (modified a bit, maybe a couple of polys slight out of line) with alpha mapped grass. Scatter them around using the scatter tool, or particleflow to position them on the surface. If your using mentalray, theres also a way to get grass with displacement but it only looks kind of half decent.

The most important thing if your going for low poly is to prioritize where the grass should overlap other objects, an example being at the edge of the lawn. So in the open areas of the grass its not so important to see the silhouette / outline of blades of grass... but at the edges where we expect to see blades of grass silhouetted in front of other objects it would be advisable to do something about it. Well, there's some thoughts anyway... I hope that helps.

bindyeye
08-30-2005, 11:24 PM
Here's a link to a low poly grass tutorial i just did for a friend...
CLICK HERE FOR THE GRASS TUTORIAL (http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/21301131/)
It's a similar technique to the one just mentioned.
Hope it helps out a lil.

CGTalk Moderation
08-30-2005, 11:24 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.