PDA

View Full Version : Question for MadMax

el_diablo
08-26-2005, 08:02 AM
What is the case that your dual 275 Opteron is housed in? What are you idle/load temperatures? What would you characterize your noise output as (lo/medium/high/jet plane)?

I need some help to force my vendor into rethinking this workstation becouse as is its matching boeing 747 in terms of noise output. Its the http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/system/Tower/4020/AW-4020C-T.cfm. (http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/system/Tower/4020/AW-4020C-T.cfm)

If anyone has a workstation similar to this i would like to hear your opinions too.

PS. Should have gotten a BOXX, too bad we dont have a local reseller

MadMax
08-26-2005, 09:44 AM
What is the case that your dual 275 Opteron is housed in? What are you idle/load temperatures? What would you characterize your noise output as (lo/medium/high/jet plane)?

The case in my Sig is a Lian Li V2000b. A link with images is below.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811112074

This is an exceptionally well designed case and is maximized for cooling and air flow. As I have a lot of drives in my box, the layout of the Lian Li was a perfect match for me.

the large capacity, fans are nice and quiet and do a great job of moving air through the box.

my average temps rarely go over around 44c tops. very little noise at all. In fact I verify that the system is running by the blue glow coming out of it. Opteron runs pretty darn cool as it is, even with a stock HSF. And those are pretty quiet. Buy a decent sized copper heatsink, slap on a moderate fan and you are well set.

PS. Should have gotten a BOXX, too bad we dont have a local reseller

Did you call them? While I won't say that Ed is necessarily a miracle worker, if it can be done, he will make it so.

Ed Caracappa
08-26-2005, 12:17 PM
small miracles are my specialty! feel free to give me a call or send me an email.

Ed

MadMax
08-26-2005, 06:20 PM
hmmmm.... Adding miracles to my list of positives about Ed.

next thing you know he'll be picking up a scottish acent.

el_diablo
08-26-2005, 07:54 PM
Ed, thanks for the notice. For now what is done is done, as consumer protection laws arent so great in this country i will be unable to get a refund most probably. My next workstation will be a BOXX, thats 100% for sure.

But now i have a different need. Thats is for a small amount of render nodes. I see BOXX has some render node design options. However they are a bit out of my range pricewise right now. I would suggest you add another render node design to your offering. An Athlon X2 (and/or possibly Intel) 1U single dual-core render node - sub $1000 if possible. I think there may be a good amount of studios that would buy that. I know i would.

el_diablo
08-26-2005, 07:56 PM
MadMax, thanks for the info. I already forwarded your link to the vendor i bought supermicro workstation from, as a final option, if they dont manage to lower the noise from the supermicro case.

Ed Caracappa
08-26-2005, 07:56 PM
Isn't much call for single processor render nodes, even dual core. The way most software is licensed (or will be licensed) two dual core processors will give you great ROI. That's the way it's looking to us anyway.

Ed

el_diablo
08-26-2005, 07:58 PM
Yes, thats true for Mental ray and Renderman (i belive).

alanmac
08-26-2005, 08:36 PM
[QUOTE=MadMax]The case in my Sig is a Lian Li V2000b. A link with images is below.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811112074

This is an exceptionally well designed case and is maximized for cooling and air flow./QUOTE]

Yes, Apple's has made some lovely case designs, both in looks and concept ;~)

lots
08-26-2005, 08:42 PM
I have a similar setup to MadMax, well sort of :P I dont have 275s, only 246s and I'm not loaded down with drives, yet. I do have the same case. But my system is fairly quiet, and cool running as well.

I can give another thumbs up for the LianLi V2000B... Pics in my sig as well :P

MadMax
08-26-2005, 08:55 PM
nice pics :) looks very familiar with the exception of the glow. Red would irritate me. I considered green, but I figured it would look all X-Files, and I like blue better.

The drive layout really sold me on this case. I'm planning on adding Serial Attached SCSI to this very soon, and al those drive spots will come in real handy. When you are doing editing and compositing of raw HD footage, you need a crap load of storage space. It's nice to be able to pack it all into a single case efficiently.

el_diablo
08-26-2005, 09:52 PM
I hate it when replys get lost halfways.

I got a reply back from Supermicro support on the issue.They state that they tested the Aplus workstation in worst case scenario and had no overheating, while my vendor reports 62 degrees celsius at one processor(socket) and 70+ at other when using shroud + passive heatsinks combo Supermicro recommends with that workstation. And thats with only 6 drives and 6800GT. I wonder what would happen with SLI 7800GTX and full 8 drives? Core meltdown?

Who is lying to me here? I guess only way to find out is to find another Supermicro Aplus workstation user and get some info.

For now, my recommendation is:
AVOID! -> http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/system/Tower/4020/AW-4020C-T.cfm

MadMax
08-26-2005, 10:11 PM
62 and 70c seems awfully excessive. There is something seriously wrong with that. That is most definitely NOT normal operation for an Opteron system at all.

even the stock HSF combos don't run that hot.

In mine, I use BIG copper heatsinks like the Thermalright XP-90c (monster in the extreme) and then put very minimal fans on it to cool with. XP-90c and the XP-120 overhang so that it sucks air from around the ram as well.

hrd to say who is in the wrong here, there could be a number of issues here causing the problem.

I take it based on what you have said, you are stuck without option? That setup is pretty minimal to be so hot.

CGTalk Moderation
08-26-2005, 10:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.