PDA

View Full Version : what is the best way to model clothes?

tazerFX
08-26-2005, 04:08 AM
i'm stuck here, i made my basic model and dont know how to start the clothes. Is it smoothed ploygons or nurbs, or whatever... can anyone gimme a hint or online tutorial for my question, thank u

rblitz7
08-26-2005, 04:31 AM
yeah I would like to know too.

StephanD
08-26-2005, 12:26 PM
Get a shirt you like in your own stuff and study it.

Look at were the seams are and where they join and use Poly by Poly or Edge extrusion to make them first then fill the gap with more extrusions and Polygon creation.The smaller details are easy to achieve with a brush tool of some sort or simply adding polygon/edges and pulling a few here and there.

You could also create a box,make it hollow and Bridge a few hole into it then polySmooth,edit and cut/pull a bit of details.

You could select a part of your character's mesh and somply extract it as a new shape then smooth and edit it.

As with anything you model,there's no unique way to make it and it's especially true for clothing as it's topology can be forgiveful with triangles,n-gons.

The real deal is to know your tools and everything they can achieve.After that modeling anything will be easy and even fun.

tazerFX
08-29-2005, 06:42 AM
thanks for the tip, i'll try the methods but do the cloth u model just be a infinitily thin or do u give it some thickness?

polywrangler
08-29-2005, 07:42 AM
here is one way of many. presumably you have the mesh of the character's body complete. Think about how the clothes hang from the body where it is bunched up etc, it might be a good idea to draw and plan it out. create splines/nurbs curves for the cross sections around the body parts and loft them together.

StephanD
08-29-2005, 02:18 PM
thanks for the tip, i'll try the methods but do the cloth u model just be a infinitily thin or do u give it some thickness?

Hi,

Well that depends,if you want to make a still image,anything that's not seen from the camera angle you chose could be neglected at some point so for example on a sleeve,you'd just add enough polygons to curl it in a bit and have the mesh cover/hide the inner parts that you can see through.

You can make it as it is meaning you model clothes with real thickness but you really have to need it since it will add to the polycount but most importantly will take more processing power if you intend on adding any kind of simulation to them.

Splines are an excellent option too thank polyrancher and you could also follow a method similar as my polyBpoly suggestion.

CGTalk Moderation
08-29-2005, 02:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.