PDA

View Full Version : Low-poly Elf Character, Ether (3D)

ether
11-04-2002, 11:11 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/236/ether_nohie04_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/236/ether_nohie04.jpg)

Hey everyone,

Here's a low-poly character I've been working on for fun for the last 2 days :) He's 3000 polys (with shield)

Since I'm relatively new to modelling low-poly characters, I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this character.

thx

http://www.quanta-entertainment.com/ether-images/nohie01.jpg

http://www.quanta-entertainment.com/ether-images/nohie02.jpg

lildragon
11-04-2002, 12:43 PM
Wow, this is amazing ether, it's great to see you posting again...

I just love the entire feel of this character... he would love great in a game.

You must show a wire :p

salud

ether
11-04-2002, 01:01 PM
here's a wireframe:

http://www.quanta-entertainment.com/ether-images/nohie_scrnshot.jpg

& texture sheet :)

http://www.quanta-entertainment.com/ether-images/nohie_texture.jpg

BoBo-the-seal
11-04-2002, 01:08 PM
Very nice work!

The only thing I might say is that on his skin his face is too defined compared to the rest of his body.

I would either tone down the detail in face or add additional detailing (texture overlays perhaps) to the rest of his body. I would rather see you do the later.

Great work, please post more. :)

BoBo

repstosw
11-04-2002, 04:50 PM
Very nice work!

You could probably cut some polys on his forhead and around the mouth...
...and maybe a few on his feet too...

Palm
11-04-2002, 05:50 PM
The model look nice and the design aswell, however
I think u really need to get some more colors into the textures
and some more details. Unless you aiming for a cartoony
look I sugest u work play around with some overlays in ph.:surprised

Rock on.. Nice model.:thumbsup:

Cheers.

endseason
11-04-2002, 07:49 PM
wow really like the mesh, the tex and the style...

great job.

ether
11-04-2002, 09:15 PM
Thx for everyone's comments so far :)

Bobo / Palm: I was aiming for a very soft/subtle style in the texturing, but I'll be working on them some more. I'll try to experiment with adding detail in the clothes and arms, as well as variation in colour :)

For now, here are some more renders of the character rigged and posed -

http://www.quanta-entertainment.com/ether-images/nohie04.jpg

http://www.quanta-entertainment.com/ether-images/nohie05.jpg

SWOMA
11-04-2002, 11:44 PM
It looks really great, the only thing is i think his shoulders muscles are slightly too big, but maybe its just me, anyway great stuff :)

Roach[MXF]
11-05-2002, 02:05 AM
THat is gorgeous :) I love the soft skin tone you have there. I am inspired to hurry up and get my History essay written so that I can start modeling aswell :) It is artists like you and BOBO that keep me trucking -Jeremy :beer:

lildragon
11-05-2002, 06:45 AM
Now you've gone and done it ether :) job well done, that's one mighty fine wireframe, just tweak the colors a bit as I know this is the style you want.

You have recieved the CGtalk choice award. Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like :) congrats again, well done

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award.jpg

P.S. if you need a different background, please send me a PM with the RGB values.

salud

Dominique
11-05-2002, 07:01 AM
and good work,

samartin
11-05-2002, 07:20 AM
Dont' change a thing... awesome...

:applause:

had 2 edit this post :-

u're gallery is mind blowing, vema kinda stood out 4 the gnarly modelling u done on that... just out of interest how long does it generally take u 2 model these amazing models ???

Primus
11-05-2002, 08:00 AM
I must say I've been an admirer of your work for a while now Miss Delen (I've seen your website at 3DLuvr), this piece of work just reinforces that admiration, cheers :beer: to another excellent piece of work. My only critique would be, post more of your work! I like the marraige of the subtle earth colors, don't change a thing :shame:

baby
11-05-2002, 10:23 AM
:buttrock: :bounce: :buttrock: :bounce:

saj
11-05-2002, 11:04 AM
hello ether

hows it going? i take it your working at a games company now? i was just wondering if you were gonna be coming along to graduation?

ps.....love the work your doing..really really nice..as always!! :):)

saj.

JamesDeschenes
11-05-2002, 11:41 AM
Should'nt he be made up of triangles and not mostly quads? :shrug:

Im not that sure but thats what I was under the assumption of for most game models. Then again Assuming things tends to make an ass out of myself :)

gL_spear
11-05-2002, 12:56 PM
you've a cool clean style of work, that really makes your characters enique. GREAT as always :bowdown:

Liquidstudio
11-05-2002, 12:59 PM
Thats a great character! He has a real elven presence in the pose you gave him. Well done on the award, you deserve it. A real inspiration. :thumbsup::bowdown:

(sorry if my spelling sucks!)

tsuru
11-05-2002, 01:24 PM
The skin tones remind me of Alan Lee's work and the blacks remind me a lot of the Forgotten Realms book covers :) Very awesome.

The only thing that I've found a little weird is the crotch level of the pants. For some reason it just looks like he has a major wedgie :shrug: I think the slight crouching poses are giving me that impression the most... Of course the reference I am working with in my mind is that of the Japanese hakama pants that are slightly less baggy. http://images.google.com/images?q=hakama

Other wise it looks great!

ps. could we see some rear view shaded + wireframes?! :)

ether
11-05-2002, 03:36 PM
big thx to everyone for the great feedback on the character :)

Lild: Kewl, Thx Lildragon :D

saj: Yup, should be going to graduation, see u there! :)

tsuru: I've made a note of his pants and I'll try and change it, see what it looks like, thx :)

facial
11-06-2002, 12:06 AM
Nice works, Keep post man.:beer:

Cgkoko
11-07-2002, 01:58 PM
:buttrock: That is great!I love all your works.

Your elf is great and i have no comments.I just think that some kind of scar would difine more his nature.

respect:thumbsup:

fireman
11-08-2002, 04:09 PM
haha! POWER!! great model! :applause:

Titan
11-10-2002, 06:26 PM
Great work Caroline...truly inspiring!!:bounce:

Larry_g1s
11-15-2002, 03:33 AM
Wow ! ! !

Amazing job. He's fantastic. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :airguitar

gege2100
11-15-2002, 07:55 AM
woaww !!!! :thumbsup:

Mangled Poly
11-15-2002, 08:09 AM
extremely nice model what game do you have it planned for?

urgaffel
11-18-2002, 01:28 AM
Completely useless note: Shouldn't he use his left hand to draw the sword? That is, if the last pose is an about-to-draw-the-sword pose :) If not, ignore me.

Ravennome
12-10-2002, 06:36 AM
This is about on of the characters on your site. The female with the fur shawl. How did you do that. and what is the final poly count, it looks like it has to be through the roof.

Thanks.

ether
12-10-2002, 08:46 AM
zainlars: The shawl on that character was created using shag: hair and then converted to a mesh object. She has the largest polycount in my entire gallery, measuring just above 650 000 polys before meshsmooth :)

leprinoxyz
12-10-2002, 01:26 PM
YOU ARE TOO MUCH THE BEST!

your leprinoxyz forever

NileshXYZ
12-15-2002, 08:01 PM
Outstanding.

Would you please post some images of Wierframe of head?

btw Have you ever used lightwave3d?

:bounce:

keops
12-16-2002, 02:57 PM
amazing!!, if all game designer were talented as you are, the overall gaming experience could be improved by 100!
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

DaKrunch
12-16-2002, 03:02 PM
game designer? you meant artists for game industry!!
:rolleyes:

hehe

i definitely love the character... just one thing (shouldn't an elf have pointed ears?)
always my idol tooooooooooo
2 much inside:bounce:

Jonny Bubonic
12-17-2002, 01:54 PM
Cool work there :)
One question though....I noticed that the shoulders are quite light on the polys...do they deform ok when the arms are raised?

I'm only asking, 'cause its something I'm never sure about myself....I usually err on the side of caution and put in a lot of polys, but if it works the way you've done it, I'll be thinking again :)

Cheers,

-JB

ether
12-17-2002, 03:25 PM
NileshXYZ: I have used Lightwave before, although I've found I prefer working with Max or Maya :)

Da Krunch: The ears are a little pointed, I did'nt want to give him very big, pointy ears as some elfs are illustrated though.

Jonny Bubonic: I have'nt yet done any major animation with this character yet, however, from the small tests that I've been doing the shoulders deform quite well actually.

jfalconer
12-20-2002, 05:08 AM
I just want to reiterate what someone mentioned earlier (possibly in that other thread with your very cool orc and cute centaur), and that is that although your models and textures are brilliantly done, I would like to see a movement towards real-time rendering. I can tell they look good even without (global illumination) because of the on-wireframe grabs you posted.

GI will of course nicely showcase the model, but if we want to be serious here about games, lets move away from such rendering until games can do it.

Thanks for posting such great work. :drool: you show a flair for original style, and I am jealous of you.

nibo
12-24-2002, 12:31 PM
Now THIS is quality stuff!
Great! :airguitar

Eclipse
12-25-2002, 04:42 PM
Nice model, but I have to make few remarks:

1.If you want to make him real elf, you have to work on the ears. They must be little longer and sharper;
2.Elves' skin is pale, but you must include some more color spices in his skin's texture;
3.And if he's an elf, he must wear elven armor and bow
or long sword(with straight blade);
4.He must have green or brown cloak and fair hair and must have some elven shoes;
5.I think his arms are too big;
So, that's my crit. The characer is all right now, but you can make him more realistic(for elf) :thumbsup:

Jonny Bubonic
12-25-2002, 09:22 PM
Wait a minute....a REAL elf? Ahem.. If you mean the cliched old Tolkien-style thang, then thats been done to death. I like the new take on the elf and especially the orc. Really got a style going there. Each to their own, dude.

jfalconer
12-26-2002, 05:16 AM
ECLIPSE that is simply RIDICULOUS! :shame:

Thats like saying, oh, if you build a robot, he has to fit the exact description of C3P0 or something. I mean, come on!

Elves can be whatever we want 'em to be. :rolleyes:

CGmonkey
12-26-2002, 12:59 PM
Eclipse - did you know that it was Blizzard who made the orcs green. And now everyone define orcs as green.

My point is that we have all different ways of seeing stuff. That is her way! :>

MrPunkin
12-28-2002, 01:49 AM
wow eclipse. I cant believe you just put a definition and guidelines on what makes a mythical and imaginary character. Thats like saying demons need to have two horns and be red.

Eclipse
12-28-2002, 08:30 PM
Well, thet's not a definition. I'm fan of these "mistical" creatures, so I know something about them. Every race has a specific look, skills, prefered weapons.It may vary, but not vary ad infinitum. And yes, everybody has his own look.

Jonny Bubonic-He may be a half-elf;
jfalconer-I agree, but as I said, there is some specific look for every fantasy character;
SubDimension-I didn't know that, but I know that orcs are not only green;
MrPunkin-As I said, I haven't put no definitions;

Piet
12-30-2002, 10:16 AM
The model is excellent and the design of the figure and clothes is unique and beatiful - whether its elfish or not.

SIGIL
01-04-2003, 02:35 PM
Ether..... This is outstanding work. I am very new to these forums but I have gone through every page of the finished work forum from the beginning. I have to say that so far your work has stood out head and shoulders above the rest. In terms of relative quality of the model's construction, as well as the very appealing designs, I have to say that your work has been the most inspiring to me. Hell if my company were going strong I would extend to you an offer of work, but alas I am just a fledgling. Keep it up, you no doubt have a brilliant career ahead of you. :applause: :applause:

Tavi
01-15-2003, 05:38 PM
Great design, modeling, and texturing! Cant wait to see more. :thumbsup:

axxxj
01-15-2003, 06:06 PM
Wow i must say thats really cool, i love the detail in the hair etc would love to meet this kinda guy in a rpg.

Nice to see a fellow teesside uni student posting here.
I'm halfway through my second year on creative vis and loving it so far.

Nyway really cool keep up the good work.

Catch u later AJ

Ace Azzameen
01-16-2003, 03:54 PM
Thats the best thing I ever saw.

boywonder
02-02-2003, 06:17 AM
Oh, you made this also? (besides that great orc model)

Elf is very accurate work. Good job. :thumbsup:

wonder
02-02-2003, 06:34 PM
really great work!!!
but I think u use many lights and shadow for these images,but in game,there may only have 2 or 3 lights , and shadow off.

gustavogf
02-02-2003, 09:01 PM
This character is so cool! I'd love do play a game with this character! Does he have a name?

I'd only change the texture of his face... I don't know, he's too skinny! But it's great anyway!

Dogzer
02-03-2003, 08:15 PM
OH MY GOD! I love the orc, the horse woman, and this one too! MAKE A GAME WITH THOSE! MAKE MORE CHARACTERS! I... I LOVE IT!

Packrat
02-04-2003, 11:40 AM
I love this Elf...gives me so many ideas! :beer:

raelbr
02-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Just one thing to say:

YOU ARE THE BEST!!!!!!!

Plz, keep coming updates!!!!
:bounce: :applause: :thumbsup: :bounce: :applause: :thumbsup: :bounce:

Krystman
02-04-2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by CgMonkey
Eclipse - did you know that it was Blizzard who made the orcs green. And now everyone define orcs as green.

I think the Tabletop Game "Warhammer" featured green orcs long before "Warcraft 1" was published :p

mrZack
02-05-2003, 05:37 PM
i am beginning to poly model myself, first with some low polys, and i am using your work ETHER, as both inspiration and reference for anatomy.

dang, Ether, youre so good you must be like Rich now or something.

:drool:

Dogzer
02-22-2003, 08:52 PM
I agree :love:

Grooveholmes
06-14-2003, 08:47 PM
Fakkin' Great stuff! Got any new work to unload on us!?

Dancing Monkey
06-14-2003, 10:14 PM
All of you who think this is good you've been playin PONG for too long. YOu can't even tell its gender, I mean if you want to play a game with him as a character then you want to knowif its a guy or girl. In closing Im sorry you're sorry.

Signed,
(Not dancing Monkey)

Mangled Poly
06-15-2003, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by Dancing Monkey
All of you who think this is good you've been playin PONG for too long. YOu can't even tell its gender, I mean if you want to play a game with him as a character then you want to knowif its a guy or girl. In closing Im sorry you're sorry.

Signed,
(Not dancing Monkey)

This thread hasnt been done for months and you bring it up out of no where to flame it when you cant even do better? Im sorry but can we please remove the 12 year olds from this board?

Prs-Phil
06-15-2003, 01:28 AM
hmmm it might be a immature post but you dont have to awnser with a post at the same level.

Let him talk, if thats his point of view, let it be.

metal me solid
06-15-2003, 01:34 AM
real lame crap about the gender, link looks like a girl to mee man. heesh. like kuja of FFIX? and your nut gonna tell me IX is bad game and the chars look like crap, are ye?

poe
06-15-2003, 01:56 AM
its a foundation of japanese character design to blur the edges between gender in their characters, as it is used heavily in plot lines. i guess it has roots in japanese culture going back years when theatre used males as females etc.

if you do not userstand that, which quite clearly you do not, then i would suggest its perhaps not the best topic to start flaming on as you've ended up looking rather stupid

Grooveholmes
06-15-2003, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by Dancing Monkey

Signed,
(Not dancing Monkey)

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :shrug:

...oh yeah... nice site.

TETRAGRAMMATON
07-21-2005, 10:14 PM
Nice subject.Brava!:)

CGTalk Moderation
07-21-2005, 10:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.