PDA

View Full Version : Hiding geometry even if it's the only thing visible?

slipster70
08-25-2005, 10:38 PM
Hello.
I feel like this is any easy question but I can't think of a solution other than manually controlling the object dissolve which I don't to do.

I am rendering a logo on a rotating object. The logo might change at any moment though so I need to render the logo separately. Is there a way to have the rotating object "clip" the logo so that, though the rotating object does not render (Unseen by camera), the object can still block the logo from rendering to the camera as the object turns and the logo comes into and out of view? Am I being clear?

Thank you.
slipster70

BazC
08-25-2005, 10:54 PM
I'm no animator but I think this would work. If you use an alpha on the object so that only the logo is visible it will still disappear as the object rotates because the polys are one sided. It doesn't actually need something blocking the view right? - Baz

slipster70
08-25-2005, 10:58 PM
Oh, I should have specified that the logo is actually two-sided. So no, it doesn't disappear as it rotates away from the camera. Is that the only solution?

Any other ideas? Thanks!

slipster70

zuzzabuzz
08-25-2005, 11:04 PM
Front Projection of the background onto the object with logo on upper layer but only one side?

blaqDeaph
08-25-2005, 11:44 PM
I'm I being clear?

Not to me at the moment, but possibly because it's 1am here. Can you post some diagrams or perhaps a sample render of what you're trying to accomplish?

NanoGator
08-26-2005, 06:22 PM
How about using "matte object"? If the new logo may change, what you can do is set the object that's obstructing it to be 'matte' as well as making sure the alpha is black. (This can be done from the object properties panel.) When you render the final logo, the all black one will obscure it, and you can composite the two later in something like After Effects.

Sorta make sense?

CGTalk Moderation
08-26-2005, 06:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.