PDA

View Full Version : Rendering in 'blue'....what's the trick ?

BartW
11-04-2002, 10:18 AM
More and more I see these beautifully soft all-blue renders appearing all over the net.

Now, I'm sure I can figure out how it's done without too much trouble, but I was wondering if these people are using some kind of standard technique/setup, cause they all look the same. Never paid much attention to lighting setups and renders, cause I usually stop working on a project when the texturing is done :P

And cause I always learned that copying/imitating someone else's stuff (including renders/light setups) always result in bad stuff, I figure these people must somehow use some kind of standard thing/setup that I never paid much attention too :P

So, how-do-they-do-that ? (My god, it's been some time since I felt like an absolute nitwit =)

Thx!

Rork

PS Here's an example from some site...can't remember from where, but it's a good example.

Lucidium
11-04-2002, 06:27 PM
What software are you using?

And is this the kind of thing you mean?
Click! (http://www.davidmear.com/temp/fscrestrender2.jpg)

I use the free version of VRay in 3dsm, and to set that image up,
I put a single omni light in, almost straight above the object. Then turned on "skylight" in the renderer settings.

The material is just the default, but with it's ambient and diffuse colours set to blue, with almost no specularity.

There's probably better ways to do it that result in a smoother image, but I like being able to just do it quickly :).

BartW
11-09-2002, 03:10 PM
That's exactly what I meant, thanks a lot :D

Seems like a great way to quickly make a render to judge your model a bit better :)

Thanks! :applause:

Bisty
11-14-2002, 11:28 AM
Hi,
I usually make this kin of rendering with a blue light or a blue background/environment
and global illumination enabled, with 3dsmax + Final Render.:cool:

playmesumch00ns
11-26-2002, 03:45 PM
please don't render like this

Bisty
11-28-2002, 11:13 AM
playmesumch00ns:

do you have any other way to do this? please tel me..

playmesumch00ns
11-28-2002, 12:39 PM
GI methods are fine for just looking at your model, although they can hide flaws as it softens out shadows that would otherwise show up faults in your mesh. What I meant was I don't want to see any more pictures like that, it gets incredibly boring. Skylights are the new lens flare.

There are many references on lighting, both for film and CG on the internet and in books. It would be a good idea to practice these rather than just click the GI checkbox.

BartW
11-28-2002, 01:54 PM
Personally, they're a nice way to quickly present the model w/o texturing, just for the sake of showing the ammount of progress I'm making.

Now with max 5 it's dead easy, but I thought that people were using some kind of plugin, cause everybody used sort of the same color with their skylight.

Not that it's good, but it's just the easiest way w/o having to waste time on setting up lights or doing a render with the standard lighting (which is probably the worst thing in max ever ;)

Thanks though :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 08:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.