PDA

View Full Version : Some Help here please thanks.

SePu
08-25-2005, 08:56 PM
Hello guys ...
i know this is a stupid question but im confused a little .... so
when you talk about Dual Opteron you are saying actually you have two processor right i mean i gotta buy two opteron right ? if so im thinking in getting this motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813151148&ATT=Motherboards+Server&CMP=OTC-d3alt1me

so if i get this motherboard can i get just one opteron and then other one later ?

And im looking for one of this two Opteron

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80307-R&affiliate=shopping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103511&ATT=Processors&CMP=OTC-d3alt1me

do you think i will notice any difference between this two ... beacuse in money there is a difference ....

let say that i get one opteron how much ram will i need 2GB ? or if i get two processor will i need more ram to meet the requirements ? or it doesnt matter.

and the other thing its about the graphic card im thinking on getting the last Geforce 7800 GT what do think about this one.

btw i work in graphic design and i the main tools that i use are Maya, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Flash.

thx guys for the help
appreciated .

MadMax
08-25-2005, 11:09 PM
If you are concerned about costs, why not just buy a dual core AMD X2 procesor instead?

You will get the same performance as having 2 of the Opteron 250's for a lot less cost.

Asus A8N SLI Pemium 179.00

AMD X2 4400+ 545.00

2gb OCZ Platinum 260.00

lots
08-26-2005, 09:21 PM
Indeed if your goal is to have 2 CPUs, the X2 is much cheaper for the same bang. If you are shooting for a 4 way system.. then this is a different story.

MadMax
08-26-2005, 09:32 PM
Agreed.

Now I just have to figure out how to justify that Tyan K8QW AND the daughter card..........

SePu
08-26-2005, 09:32 PM
Hey guys thanks for the answers ...
i just bought my new system i cant wait to get it btw this is the first time that i bought a AMD system before i always use Pentiums ... anyways
so i got :

Asus A8N-SLI Premium
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400
BFG Geforce 7800 GT OC
Western Digital 160 GB Sata
Sony DRU800A Double Layer
OCZ 2x 1GB Platinum
Dell 2005 FPW 20"

so now the only thing that i need is the case that im not sure what to get here ... can you recomend something ? also what kind of power supply should i get ? and do i need something else like cooling systems or more fans or whatever else ?
one more thing i still can use two monitors with my graphic card right ?

thanks in advance :thumbsup:

SatoriGFX
08-27-2005, 12:53 AM
so now the only thing that i need is the case that im not sure what to get here ... can you recomend something ? also what kind of power supply should i get ? and do i need something else like cooling systems or more fans or whatever else ?

Well, depends on what your criteria are. I like cases that are not too gaudy (no neon etc...) looking and I like quiet systems (though it's harder to get one really quiet when you are building a performance system). You could loo at an Antec Sonata II which comes with an Antec SmartPower 2.0 450W power supply. My choice right now, the one I think I am going to get, is the Antec P-180 without power supply. Then pick up maybe an Antec NeoPower 480 or Antec TruePower 2.0 550 power supply (I actually may get the TrueControl 2.0 550 as you can adjust the voltage rails individually at will). With either case you should not need any extra fans unless you plan on adding more drives, SLI etc... Any of the above power supplies will also be more than enough for what you are running unless you decide to go SLI. Then, you'll probably want the 550W (or any quality 500W+ supply). You can get away with less technically but you always want to have more watts than you need. Running a power supply at or near it's peak for extended periods is a no no.

There are lots of other good cases and power supplies but Antec has always served me well. Both cases get great reviews and Antec power supplies are top notch.

Adam.

MadMax
08-27-2005, 12:59 AM

I'd say get the Antec Truepower II 550w. Great price, reliable power. Hard to beat.

Cooling. Thermalright XP-90c.

It is MONSTER copper!! it is not NECESSARY to use such a big sink, but I use it with a small fan and that makes for next to zero noise.

and yes, you can use two monitors.

SePu
08-27-2005, 04:58 AM
hey thanks guy madmax and satorigfx for you recomendations ...
im gonna get the Antec Truepower II 550 and Thermalright XP-90c it looks sweet !
ok one more thing and i guess i will be done ..
satorugfx you were talking about tthe case Antec P-180 looks nice its $131.99 in amazon ...

im also seeing others cases such as the cooler master Cavalier 1 $ 109.99
http://www.xoxide.com/cavalier.html

or MGE Quantum http://www.xoxide.com/mge-quantum-black.html $ 109.99

and the Antec Titan 550 which comes with the Antec TruePower II 550 at newegg for $ 199.00 eventough this a server case

do you know if any of this cases will give me problems with my new system or with the truepower II ??? will i see any difference between this 3 cases ? and if all of it works which will you recomend ?

thanks again

SatoriGFX
08-27-2005, 01:15 PM
I have read reviews of athe two cases you quoted SePu. They oth get good enough reviews. As to if any of these cases will have problems with the TPII 55 power supply, fit wise, I can't say. That is something I myself will have to check before I decide exactly which PSU to buy.

I personally am buying the P-180 case though. As I said, I like Antec. I have read very good reviews of the P-180 and I like it's noise reduction features.

Note, reviews of the P-180 suggest that because of the location of the power supply that cable length can be an issue. Make sure the PSU you buy has long enough cables or buy a case with a conventional power supply placement instead.

And frankly, you might want to look elsewhere if this is your first time building a PC yourself. The P-180 is not an "easy" build because of the seperate chambers. There seems to be lots of cable routing to be done and so on, more than usual.

Adam.

SePu
08-27-2005, 04:04 PM
Hey satori GFX thanks ... for your answer ...
this is not my first time that i built my own computer .... but the last time that i did was while ago ... ti was a P4 1.7, 512 Ram Geforce 2 etc and asus motherboard ... anyways so i've seen the technology has changed quite a lot since my last time ... so that's why im making sure that i get everything right.

you think that the truepower II 550 will fit in the P-180 since you gonna get pretty muchthe same ?
i might get that case ... i gotta see a little more though ... but anyways thanks for your help ..

SweetDreamz
08-27-2005, 05:38 PM
Antec PSUs should at least fit in their own cases, it would suck if it didn't. ;)

Get the PC Power & Cooling 510 if you have the money. Best PSU out there.

The P-180 is a sweet case, but the only thing I don't like about it is that it looks like a fridge. I like Lian-Li myself but they're pricey.

SatoriGFX
08-27-2005, 10:54 PM
Hey satori GFX thanks ... for your answer ...
this is not my first time that i built my own computer .... but the last time that i did was while ago ... ti was a P4 1.7, 512 Ram Geforce 2 etc and asus motherboard ... anyways so i've seen the technology has changed quite a lot since my last time ... so that's why im making sure that i get everything right.

you think that the truepower II 550 will fit in the P-180 since you gonna get pretty muchthe same ?
i might get that case ... i gotta see a little more though ... but anyways thanks for your help ..

The P-180 product page recommends a NeoPower, Phantom or TruePower 2.0 series power supply. I assume that means the TruePower 2 550W should work fine. You have to be careful with supply choice not only because of cable length but also because some power supplies are too deep to fit in the case with the included fan in the power supply chamber (I have heard for example that some OCZ supplies are a tight fit). Stick with one of the three above series from Antec though and all should be fine.

The "Phantom" series are interesting. The 350W is fanless and silent. The 500W has a fan (or fans) but they only come on when the unit is pushing higher watts.

The advantage of the NeoPower is that is has removable cables so you only use the ones you need making the inside of your case neater and making it easier to route your cables.

I would stick with the NeoPower or TruePower 2.0 series (make sure it's the 2.0 and not the old TruePower) as the Phantom is more expensive and you would need the 500W version which isn't that quiet if you have a beefy system that needs alot of watts.

Adam.

SePu
09-02-2005, 03:37 AM
hello there
well i got everything and is running smoothly .....
i got
WIN XP 64 Pro.
AMD X2 4400 Dual core
ASUS A8N-SLI Premiun
2GB Ram OCZ
Geforce 7800 GT OC
Case P 180 Antec
PS TruePower II 550

so everything works correctly i guess
just i have one thing that it concerns me that the case P180 has 3 Fans 120 mm tricool
two of them are working which are the top ones, the one that is close the the power supply isnt working the PS has two Fan connectors and one of the top ones is working with one of this connectors however the one below isnt ... i dont know which of you has this case P180 (that btw its pretty damn nice).
so any help would be appreciated . thx
one more thing to make sure that the dual core is working which is the best way to try it or see it ?
the temperature of the system its 44C the CPU its 38 is this normal temperatures ?
btw im still waiting for the Thermalright XP-90c that i should get it pretty soon will i see any improvement in the CPU temperature ? i didnt buy a Fan for it ... i dont know if its ok to use without one ... if i have to get one can you recommend something

thanks in advance!

SweetDreamz
09-02-2005, 03:52 AM
the temperature of the system its 44C the CPU its 38 is this normal temperatures ?
Damn those are nice temps...beats my 2500+ already.

lots
09-02-2005, 03:55 AM
Agreed.

Now I just have to figure out how to justify that Tyan K8QW AND the daughter card..........
You can give it to me :thumbsup: .. and a copy of windows server while you're at it :/

CGTalk Moderation
09-02-2005, 03:55 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.