PDA

View Full Version : Lighting question (self lighting objects)

assistant pimp
08-25-2005, 07:05 PM
All the modelling and animation questions are paying off I am learning and this projet is moving along nicely (I really appreciate it).

But now I have a lighting question that I cant seem to nail. Okay I have a robotic arm that moves moves around a picks something up. But here is the thing I am stuck on. The scene has to be either pitch black or transparent. With the only light coming from the parts of the robot arm that light up. So basically the only light in the scene is coming from the parts that are lit up on the robot arm. And when it comes close to the object it is picking up that object gets lit by the lights on the robot arm..... And I cannot get that to happen at all. So thats my question, how to do that. Also would it be possible to render the transparency or odes the fall off from the lights make that impossible?

AS always any ideas, advice and links are appreciated.

blaqDeaph
08-25-2005, 10:47 PM
Perhaps you need to try using Radiosity and Caustics?

If the high render times dont suit you, You could even fake it by animating adding a low intensity point light close to the objects that needs to be illuminated, and fading it up and down when the arm comes near.

Bonzodogboy
08-25-2005, 11:34 PM
Maybe you have done this, but have you tried adjusting the falloff of the lights in the robot arm,
as i see it if you reduce the falloff of the lights then you reduce the distance that the light will project.
you could also fake it, by having the lights in the robot arm not affect the object at all,
but using the graph editor, create a light situation that would then turn on as the arm picked up the object, and have that light only affect the object.
I hope that makes some sort of sense, i can see it in my head (but that isn't always right)
:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
08-25-2005, 11:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.