PDA

View Full Version : filmtestdvd?

colintheys
08-25-2005, 06:16 PM
Hey,

I'm doing some DPing again this year on student films at school and I recently stumbled across this product: www.filmtestdvd.com, which might be interesting to look at. Has anyone actually seen it / have any opinions about it?

Thanks,
-Colin

igorsandman
08-25-2005, 08:02 PM
Hello,
It seems interresting. I had never heard of it. The problem is it's only available for 16mm. It shouldn't be a problem for you. i guess your school project will be shot on that format, right? I would be inrerested to see the same for 35mm since it's almost exclusively used when it comes to professional films.
Thanks for the link and good luck with your project.
Bye
-IS-

ZaKKoS
08-25-2005, 08:16 PM
i didn't heard of it befor too, it could be interesting. Generally i ask fuji or kodak to give me a 35mm film canister loaded with the stock i want to test and then i shoot stills with my SLR. But sometimes you have to approximate the results when you end shooting with a different format (and the film is not always the same only smaller). Who knows...maybe i'll give it a try, if someone tries it let us know!

colintheys
08-25-2005, 08:23 PM
I'm thinking I might jsut get one. heck it's only 35 bucks, which is a drop in the pond when shooting film. We're shooting 16mm on an arri sr2. The school owns them so we use them. I've done it four or five times before with the same equipment and everyone always argues over stocks, but nobody really knows what they're talking about. hehe. If I get one, i'll let you know what I think here.

Thanks,
-Colin

colintheys
08-25-2005, 08:33 PM
Sorry for the double post, but I just ordered it. I'll let you know how it is.

colintheys
09-03-2005, 06:37 AM
Meh. I wouldn't rush out and buy one of these (like I did.) It's interesting to look at, but has some major flaws.

1. The quality of the footage is not very good. I've worked on a few 16mm->miniDV shoots and have the footage on my machine. It looks better than the quality of their footage. I don't know if it's bad telecine or bad DVD encode or what, but I expected better-than-DV quality for film tests... Makes it sorta hard to tell.
2. The outdoor tests are rather useless since they're clearly shot under different conditions. Shadows change from one test to the next, which would imply they were done at different times of day... which makes it hard to accurately judge the difference in color, etc..
3. The filters and bleach bypass/cross process are only shown applied to one particular stock which happens to be an outdoor stock. Thus they're not too informative because of the above problem.

That said, the CD is easy to use and allows you to compare two tests side by side. THe DVD is difficult just because of the way DVD menus work (not their fault). I would have preferred if they'd had a little more control over outdoor shoots and gotten better quality video on the discs. A lot of the space is also taken up by useless +3 stop overexposure tests of each film. They all look the same... mostly white.

CGTalk Moderation
09-03-2005, 06:37 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.