PDA

View Full Version : Can you render an object as Reflection Only?

plotz
08-25-2005, 06:36 PM
I'm trying to capture some reflections for compositting, and I can't seem to find a way to render reflection only for an object. Is there an option in LW to not render the object, but still have it cast reflections?

If there are any Electric Image users here I'm talking about something like the "reflection object only" option.

simon-s
08-25-2005, 06:56 PM
If you press 'p' for the object properties panel, then click on the 'render' tab...
Tick the box labled 'Unseen by Camera'. This will let you render the reflection of the object without the object itself appearing in the render.

If you want to render just the the refections on the objects surface, then in the surface editor set the reflection and transparency to 100%.

Hope this helps.

plotz
08-25-2005, 07:46 PM
Thanks Simon...I initially set the "unseen by camera" function for the object I want to cast reflections,but not render. Problem is I'm not getting any reflection. I think I need to go back and pick my scene apart...I may have screwed up the surface on the object recieving the reflections.

tufif
08-25-2005, 09:49 PM
I think he means he wants a poltergeist 3 type effect where you see an object in the mirror that's not in real life.

telamon
08-25-2005, 10:07 PM
There is a trick I did once but that worked for my configuration (maybe it could work with yours). I made two renders. The first one with the object appearing in front of the mirror. For the second one, I deleted or made transparent all the polygons facing the camera. I could then fix this render with the results of the initial one.

This has worked in my configuration, maybe you could test it.

Maxx
08-25-2005, 10:11 PM
plotz - check to see if you've got "Ray Trace Reflection" checked. I just tried this and it didn't work the first time, until I realized I'd forgotten to turn on reflections. Which makes sense, but heck - sometimes the easiest stuff if the easiest to forget too. Anyway, simon s's method works fine here once the reflections are turned on.

plotz
08-25-2005, 10:28 PM
It was user headspace error:(

I had two identical sets of objects with different surfaces. I had checked the right rendering options for the reflecting object, but forgot to switch back to the objects with the surface that had a reflection property assigned to them. It's all sorted out now.

CGTalk Moderation
08-25-2005, 10:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.