PDA

View Full Version : Footswitch?

Ultimatum
08-25-2005, 02:59 PM
Hi,

I got this crazy idea. I want a footswitch for the "Enter"button. http://www.graphic-forums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Especially when working with 3D applications it would be very helpfull.

When Im working the right hand is on the mouse and left hand is pressing the quick keys. For example I use a lot this combination Ctrl+w to weld points together. And after every weld the program asks to press Enter to confirm the action. And this might be done like 400 times in a quite simple job.

It would be so easy to have a footswitch for Enter and press it with your toes. http://www.graphic-forums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Does anyone have ideas of how to build such a footswitch?

- Ultimatum

Cman
08-25-2005, 03:11 PM
You could go into "Display Options -> Interface" and set your Alert Level to "Intermediate" or "Expert" and then you won't get that "OK" button for welding, and lots of other things.

tufif
08-25-2005, 03:17 PM
I know of one method off the top of my head, but it may be a bit overkill. I have a bunch of midi equipment hooked up to my computer. Next to where I sit is a midi keyboard with a sustain pedal. There is a program called mak/msp for windows and mac systems that lets you program all sorts of crazy stuff. I'm pretty sure you could program something that translates sustain pedal information to enter key presses, but I've never tried it.

Ultimatum
08-25-2005, 03:37 PM
Thanks,

CMan> Yes, I need to adjust my alert level. But this "footswitch"-thing would also be used also for other tasks as writing emails and such...

I need to start gathering ideas... :)

- U

jezsmed
08-26-2005, 07:59 AM
What you want is a USB (or PS/2) foot pedal.
Some of these have software & drivers that allow you to assign keystrokes or keystroke sequences to a pedal. One foot tap could do something as simple as press enter, or more complex like cut the current selection, change to the next layer and paste it. X-Keys produce one but it isn't that cheap.

The other (cheaper) alternative is using a programmable keypad designed for gaming and setup your most used keys on that so you don't even need the normal keyboard.

Other areas to look at are sites with ability products. One site is http://www.keytools.com/input/default.asp
They have the X-Keys pedal and something called a Joy Cable along with analog switches that might do the job.

Trench
08-26-2005, 09:05 AM
You could always get a mouse with a exorbitant number of buttons. Assing one button to Weld and another one to Enter and you're all set to go one-handed.

Ultimatum
08-26-2005, 09:27 AM
Thanks,

Those look good. Although pretty expensive.

The multi buttoned mouse is a good idea but the legs are still under the table unenployed and would be happy to take part in working with computer. :)

- u

IC12
08-26-2005, 11:10 AM
I remember a shooting game for my PS where I reloaded by pressing a button on the reduntant joypad with my toe. It meant sitting with my sock off but it worked really well.

Taking it to it's (il)logical extreme, how about getting some cymbals for your knees if you think they're not pulling their weight? A Harmonica round your neck and bells on your arm and you could entertain the whole office without getting out of your seat!
Just an idea :)

CGTalk Moderation
08-26-2005, 11:10 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.