PDA

View Full Version : An effect that make it look like it have a few shadow?

Netuok
08-25-2005, 04:39 AM
Hi guys, i want to do an effect that make it seem like it have a few shadows or shade.
like if i want a ball to move to right i want to see a shade/shadow follow it
like a motion slow blur kinda thing.
what type of effect is that? sorry if what i write people dont understand.

DreamingInDigital
08-25-2005, 06:25 AM
your best bet would be to use a 3D modeling package. track the object that is suppose to cast the shadow. then in your 3D app create the rough shape of your object and set the lightsource equal to that in the original shot. then animate the object in your 3D app to move exaclty as the original footage. tell the renderer to render out the different passes, i.e. shadows, and what ever. then you open your original footage in AE and composit the shadow animation that you rendered out from your 3D app with the original footage. you may have to apply a couple of different filters to get the shadow to blend and look like it was part of the scene, but this is the overall process that i would use.

Hope this helps,
~ Kris ~

Angryman
08-25-2005, 12:22 PM
Hmm, in this case i think ur not precisee enough...

1) FIRST CASE: Drop Shadow on the ground:

Easiest way... use the lights in after effects and create a ground layer (Activate shadows)

The other way... Clone the footage u want to drop a shadow... transform it in the 3D Space... Use Effect "Einfärben (in German ;-) " make it totally black, adjust Transparency... Maybe u could also first key out some things u dont wanna have in this comp or make a mask. Connect this Comp to the one ur animating.

2) Second Case: Some Kind of Motion Blur

Time Effect "Echo", very important this effect cant be applied to an Object in a scene, it has to be applied to a whole composition. So create a Composition (01) animate everything in it, create a new Composition (02), place Comp(01) in Comp(02) apply Echo,
So you gotta kind of Time Transitioned Effect... Maybe you gotta Color it to one color again, gotta key. etc...

3) Wanna use 3D App for this case... See the Post before ^^

tuomok
08-25-2005, 03:36 PM
Try also Effects > Perspective > Radial Shadow.

It sure beats the simple Drop Shadow with much more control. But if you have for instance some non-planar objects in the background where shadows are cast on you really need to make "real" 3D shadows. Sure you can try to fiddle with AE's 3D lights/planes or then use your preferred 3D renderer.

JohnnyRandom
08-25-2005, 07:00 PM
Or use the 3d channel and alpha channels on the objects you wish to cast shadows(, and turn on material options>cast shadows), a light or lights (as mentioned ealier)

Netuok
08-28-2005, 08:16 AM
arhh kewl
thanks
i'll try it out later

CGTalk Moderation
08-28-2005, 08:16 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.