PDA

View Full Version : Serious Comp Setup/System to build?

mdunakin
08-25-2005, 01:46 AM
I know this question has already been asked ten ga-zillion times, but as it changes all the time,
I felt I didn't want to waste time on searching for outdated threads on the subject.

So, I'm looking for either, a LW site that tells people what's the best systems to build and
use FOR LW, or at least some kind of REAL info on what would be a good setup at a decent
price and not just the best, modernest more expensive type of system.
And PLEASE, no, absolutely NO product worshiper types.
I want "objective" suggestions, as better boards come along that may be a different brand
then the last time a better board was out and same with all the rest of the hardware.
In otherds, only objective, realistic suggestions, without breaking the bank.

I'm looking to just buy the:
Case/Power Supply.
Dual Core 64bit CPU (leaning rowards AMD, but I'll listen to other suggestions)
Enough room for 4 slots for RAM and up to, at least, 4 GIGs of RAM or more.
A decent MoBo, I like Asus, but I heard MSI is a good one too.
And again, I'm open to any REAL suggestions on any brand of MoBo.
Though the last time I bought an Abit board, I had nothing but problems.
And a pretty decent Display Card, but nothing outrageous.
I mean, OpenGL is most important and NOT gaming.
This will be for graphics, though I will play some games on it, that is not very often.
Since working in LW and Vue and such, are far more fun most of the time then games, for me :)

Anyway, I don't need any suggestions for things like DVD stuff or HDs or any of the rest,
just the things I mentioned above.

And hopefully, none of you will do the generic, "send me to Tom's Hardware" type of suggestion?
Unless of course, one of those sites DOES have a LW specific suggested setup to look into?
I need to know what other LW'ers use, not what they ramble on about at sites that are tooo non-specific.

Thanx, and I hope to hear from you soon.
I have 1 to 2 grand to build my own system, but of course,
I want to save as much money as I can, duh :)

Thanx..............md :)

MadMax
08-25-2005, 05:48 AM
I guess it is a good thing you are leaning towards AMD since they ae the only ones on the market with a real dual core solution right now :)

Bottom line, no need to even look at Intel. Their so called Dual core is a kludged together mess, and it isn't actually dual core, it is a multi chip module. There is no processor integration, and requests have to travel out of the CPU, to the FSB and then back into the CPU to talk to the second processor.

If you want gut wrenching fast, reliable and stable, then this is the system to go with:

AMD X2 4400+ it's in a decent price range and you can overclock the hell out of it for a touch of extra performance. FYI, this can be done without compromising the stability or integrity of the system or applications running on it.

Asus A8N-SLI Premium. it's expensive, but well worth the cost. 179.00 average street price. Has heatpipe cooling on the chipset so no noisy fans.

Just look at the review feedback for this board at Newegg. You'll see virtually nothing BUT praise for this board. I liked it so much I got my 4th one this week.

OCZ Platinum 2gb kit, 2 x 1gb. $260.00. Rock solid, fast, stable. I have 2 kits in each of mine for 4gb. Monarch is offering a 25.00 rebate on kits purchased between yesterday and the end of the month FYI.

Video. Newtek is reworking major portions of their system. One of those reworks is the ability to utilize the GPU on your video card for OpenGL 2.0 rendering in your viewports. Not sure if this was for inclusion in 8.5 or not, or if this was a new feature for version 9.0

At this point I cannot answer for certain if this would work with 2 video cards in SLI mode or not. It would be great if it does.

That said, I would go for the 7800GTX series of video cards. They are expensive, but LW is going to be able to use the extra beef in the card. Otherwise, you certainly cannot go wrong with a cheaper 6800 Ultra. The performance is great.

Power Supply: Antec Truepower II 550w. 115.00 at newegg. It's a great power supply, it's reliable power and the price doesn't break the bank. You could buy a PP&C power supply at over 200.00, but it's not necesary.

Case is a matter of personal preference. Someone recomended to me a few months ago the Lian Li VP 2000b, it's a great case, but it's 250.00 This beast is HUGE. On the positive side, it has a very logical layout for add on drive mounting. drives are easily accesible and there are lots of drive slots. Looks to be a perfect case for expansion when Newtek comes out with the Video Toaster HD.

And PLEASE, no, absolutely NO product worshiper types.
I want "objective" suggestions, as better boards come along that may be a different brand
then the last time a better board was out and same with all the rest of the hardware.
In otherds, only objective, realistic suggestions, without breaking the bank.

I'm looking to just buy the:
Case/Power Supply.
Dual Core 64bit CPU (leaning rowards AMD, but I'll listen to other suggestions)
Enough room for 4 slots for RAM and up to, at least, 4 GIGs of RAM or more.
A decent MoBo, I like Asus, but I heard MSI is a good one too.
And again, I'm open to any REAL suggestions on any brand of MoBo.
Though the last time I bought an Abit board, I had nothing but problems.
And a pretty decent Display Card, but nothing outrageous.
I mean, OpenGL is most important and NOT gaming.
This will be for graphics, though I will play some games on it, that is not very often.
Since working in LW and Vue and such, are far more fun most of the time then games, for me :)

mdunakin
08-25-2005, 07:07 AM
You wouldn't mind posting just that list of items with the actual brand names and of them, would you?
Like the display card for example, I don't know what that card is?

I'm not too much into spending loads on a case, as I pretty much am not all that particular,
as long as they work and don't look like crap.
As for the ease of use with cases, that also isn't all that much of an issue, as I go
through computers about every 2 to 3 years and I never keep one long enough to
really worry about adding anymore to them later down the road,
as I generally end up just building a new system.

I'll start doing searches for these items while I wait for your reply,
but don't know for sure if I'll find the correct items or not?

And a major thanx too!
Oh, and I assume that dual core is a 64bit version, right?

anyway, thanx...................md :)

MadMax
08-25-2005, 07:21 AM
You wouldn't mind posting just that list of items with the actual brand names and of them, would you?
Like the display card for example, I don't know what that card is?

well with the exception of the card, I did list specifics.

Asus A8N-SLI Premium

OCZ 2gb. Platinum

Antec Truepower II 550w

7800. nVidia 7800 series GPU. Or 6800 series GPU. These are the GPU designations. There are numerous brand available, BFG, XFX, Leadtek etc. Go to Newegg.com, go to computer hardware/Video cards and select 6800 you will get a lot of descriptions.

I have 4 of the XFX PVT45GUDF3 6800GT 256mb GDDR3 video cards. newegg sells them for 309.00, and there is currently a 50.00 rebate on them.

and yes, the AMD X2 4400 is dual core AND 64 bit.

I'm not too much into spending loads on a case, as I pretty much am not all that particular, as long as they work and don't look like crap.

As for the ease of use with cases, that also isn't all that much of an issue, as I go
through computers about every 2 to 3 years and I never keep one long enough to
really worry about adding anymore to them later down the road,
as I generally end up just building a new system.

If you get a good case, you'll end up holding on to it for a very long time. Prior to buying the Lian Li, I had my last case (a server case) for the last 6 years or so. In fact, I still have it.

Silverstone makes some really nice cases, and they are a lot chepaer than the Lian Li.

RPG2006
08-25-2005, 08:09 AM
Mark,

I would say that's pretty good advice from Madmax. I've followed his and other's advice on the hardware forum, and recently put together a similar spec system.

I couldn't get my hands on a premium board so had to opt for a A8N-SLI deluxe with a decent cooling fan, and the processor I chose was the 4200+ rather than 4400+. The 4400+ has a larger cache, but in benchmarks the difference seems to be minimal. I don't know if it is better for overclocking though.

It seems that having a decent power unit is very advisable, I've opted for a 500W supply. Can't tell you the brand, as I would have to open up my kit(Being lazy).

As far as comparisons. I did a render test in LW with radiosity box. My previous system a pentium 2.8 HT overclocked rendered it out in 40 minutes. My new system in 26 minutes. I wasn't as blown away as I expected to be, but I'm hoping/guessing that the updates to Lightwave will be somewhat more efficient. Of course there's Fprime, which makes those times seem very silly.

The graphics card, I have a leadtech 7800 GTX. As far as I gather all brands are pretty much the same, but are overclocked to different settings. My previous card was a 6600GT(AGP). I've just finished modeling a trex skeleton. The model is pretty heavy, and on the 6600 I had to have patch division setting of 1. With the 7800 it spins round the screen at patch division 3. As Madmax has said Newtek are utilising the graphics cards more efficiently in upcoming releases, so this should be even better.

Games wise, it's unbelievable. Settings High, high and high.

Memory wise I went for Kingston 2x1gb sticks, which cost me about 12,000 baht/290 dollars here. I don't know how these compare to OCZ.

Just one last thing, the system is well quiet. I didn't realise just how noisy my previous pentium kit was.

Don't know if any of that helps. I'm sure if info is wrong Madmax will put it right.

Cheers

Russ.

mdunakin
08-25-2005, 08:27 AM
Ok, thanx guys and thanx especially to you Madmax.

And yes, I seen that you had already posted for the most part the brands/specs,
I just wanted to be sure, as I really didn't know much about any of those brands
or anything and just wanted to be sure I was on the same track as you were.

Tomorrow, I'll check into these things.
And as for keeping the case, I have a reason why I get a new case each time,
it's because I then either give my old system away to someone in need, or I end
up using it as a render node, which is what I'll be using my current system for.
And also, it always seems to me, that every 2 to 3 years or less, they change things all
around and the old cases become useless for the newer boards and power supply setups.
Which, BTW, I plan on getting a much more powerfull power supply then a 550.
As it is, right now I'm using a 600watt for my current system, as I have too
many drives and other things running in it and originally the power I
had in there wasn't enough and it croaked on me.

I have a moto of buying what I can barely afford, and then I buy one step up from that,
as you can generally always afford a little bit more when it really comes down to it :)

And again, thanx guys, I truely appreciate all of this and I'll post back here what I think I
can afford and all and then let you critique it and you can let me know if I chose right or not?

thanx tons!..........................md :)

MadMax
08-25-2005, 08:43 AM
A word of caution on power supplies.......

It is critical that you get a good quality unit. This is the last item you want to cut corners on.

I've seen some bad things happen to people using cheap PS's. 12v rail only supplying 11.25 and they were having system crashes frequently and other such fun.

You'll have a hard time maxing out the capacity of a 550w. Even for me that is overkill and I have a habit of doing everything as large as possible.

AND, for that motherboard, the PS MUST have 24 pins on the main connector, and there is a 6 pin connector for the video card.

As for longevity, My method is like this........

I upgrade frequently. I like to keep up on the fastest options around as I am impatient and hate to wait on renders or systems that get the occasional hiccup. Since I upgrade so frequently, my stuff is always pretty new condition when it come time to buy upgrades. I frequently just sell my old stuff on eBay in pieces, which gets more money than selling completely assembled systems.

The end result is my upgrades cost very very little. Of course I also keep my eyes open for good buys, like for rendering, I bought a ton of Asus SK8N single Opteron moterboards off of eBay. 65.00-100.00 each. Pop them in a 2u case, add ram and a drive and instant render node. With ther price of the 100 series Opterons dropping so much, it makes for a very stable and cheap render box without skimping on performance.

mdunakin
08-25-2005, 09:57 AM
Well, I'm dead meat tired tonight and it's almost 3am, but since I'm still up test rendering,
I might as well check out some of these things you mention. And yes, I would ever want
to go el cheapo with a power supply, as I've already been down that route LOL

I am curious though, why the system you mention differes from the lone you list in you sig?
I thought I just seen that you're using a Tyan or whatever I just read?

Anyway, let me try and find these items, as I've never heard of a brand called, OCZ?

Thanx again, and my eyes are starting to blur out LOL
Aren't we who are computer geeks always this way?
I know it's true for me.
Sometimes I mess around with LW (or Vue now too) till almost the sun comes up!

............................md :)

MadMax
08-25-2005, 10:20 AM
I am curious though, why the system you mention differes from the lone you list in you sig?

I thought I just seen that you're using a Tyan or whatever I just read?

I have a number of systems.

The Tyan in my sig just happens to be my best decked out system. Multiple workstations, an Avid editing system, an audio production system, a render farm and a couple of test platforms.

generally I am not finding people asking for help here wanting to spend 7k+ on a system, so the Asus A8N-SLI is the next best thing.

mdunakin
08-25-2005, 10:59 AM
Ahh,,, it's OK :)

I was just being curious?
Right now I'm up to $1,266.91 sub total.
Still need the display card and the case/power.
But I'm too tired now to think straight anymore,
but I've made a new wish list and am saving things to that and will post it for you to check it over tomorrow.
So far, I think I'm going to be a very happy camper.
I decided to go with the next step up on the CPU though, to the 4400.
The display card, I haven't decided which to go for yet untill I really look through things there.
I read some complaints about heat issues with the one card, so I want to investigate further.
And I think I picked out the right RAM, it was the $269.00 2gig deal with a $27 dollar rebate.
I of course, placed 2 of these into my wish list, for a total of 4gigs :)

Anyway, thanx and I'll be back later............after some sleep :)
.......md :) zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

adrencg
08-25-2005, 02:15 PM
I just built a new system with the following specs:

dual core athlon x2 +4400 (2.2 ghz)

2 gb pc3200 ram

ati x800 radeon

asus a8n-e motherboard

The speed difference working in LW 8.3 is just about double what I was getting from my 3.0 ghz Intel. All aspects -- modeling, scene manipulation, rendering, after Effects...it' was a worthwhile upgrade.

ended up costing me about 1300 all together with the case PSU and hard drive.

Mike

adrencg
08-25-2005, 02:20 PM
Mark,

As far as comparisons. I did a render test in LW with radiosity box. My previous system a pentium 2.8 HT overclocked rendered it out in 40 minutes. My new system in 26 minutes. I wasn't as blown away as I expected to be, but I'm hoping/guessing that the updates to Lightwave will be somewhat more efficient. Of course there's Fprime, which makes those times seem very silly.

Russ.

Was that 8.3 LW? that's the dual core optimized version.

RPG2006
08-25-2005, 02:46 PM
That's right Adreng 8.3. I was expecting double the speed, as you've mentioned. That's got me a tad concerned now. I think I'll try out some other benchmark software to see how it compares.

I know it's probably a bit of a broad question, but could there be any particular thing that's slowing my kit down?

hmmmm

mdunakin
08-25-2005, 07:40 PM
Well, now that I'm awake again (lol) I'm thinking clearer.
The one thing I may want to check into and change, might be the RAM.
I've noticed in the past, that when I wanted to buy more ram per stick, that it
ended up costing me a lot more then if I would of broke that down into smaller sticks.
Cuz I still have a ways to go for spending and I'm already up there.
I don't NEED to have 2 2gig sticks, if it's cheaper to get 4 1gig sticks.
Cuz I deffinately want 4gigs in my new system.

I'm currently running on an Intel 3ghz, 2gig RAM setup and though it's nice, I want more :)
Running long render times with Vue is one reason I want to move up with power as well.

Also, I'm not all that interested in OverClocking, as I have enough heat problems with a normal setup.
The suggested temp for my Intel is 30c and it's always running at around 47c and can go
up from there when it really starts to working and even worse on flippin hot days like today.
And I have a fan in every place that can have a fan and the largest that will fit.
So, for me heat issues are always a major problem and something I need to worry about.

Just out of curiosity, is there that much of a difference between the 4200 and the 4400?
I figured, about 100 bucks difference in price wasn't that bad, if it truely makes a difference?

Anyway, I am totally appreciating all the help in this area and am so far going with MadMax's suggestions.
Though, like I say, I may change how I setup the RAM, if I find it cheaper to use more sticks.
And I may change the vid card, but so far I like it, but I still need some other thoughts on that one.
300 smackers for a card I'm not that thrilled about spending, though I may not have much choice?
But, like he points out, you can get a $50 rebate on that card so that's a real help.
But I was worried about some of what I read about that particular card ove at NewEgg.
Some, or all were saying it puts out a lot of heat.
MadMax, are you having any issues with heat and that card?

And BTW, I really love that board you suggested.
Looks to be very awesome!

I still haven't found the case you're talking about, but last night, errr, this morning I mean,
I was blurring out and couldn't read anymore anyway LOL

thanx....................md :)

assistant pimp
08-25-2005, 07:46 PM
Speaking of systems and power vs. price and all that good stuff.

Has anyone bought a computer from here? www.ibuypower.com (http://www.ibuypower.com) ?

There prices seem ridiculously low.. So low in fact that I thinkit is a scam. i too am thinking about buying another computer so I am going to watch this thread as well.

Sorry for the small - Hijack of this thread.

MadMax
08-25-2005, 08:02 PM
Well, now that I'm awake again (lol) I'm thinking clearer.
The one thing I may want to check into and change, might be the RAM.
I've noticed in the past, that when I wanted to buy more ram per stick, that it
ended up costing me a lot more then if I would of broke that down into smaller sticks.
Cuz I still have a ways to go for spending and I'm already up there.
I don't NEED to have 2 2gig sticks, if it's cheaper to get 4 1gig sticks.
Cuz I deffinately want 4gigs in my new system.

The ram I suggested, the OCZ, is 2 sticks of 1gb dimms. I have 2 sets, or 4 1gb sticks.

Just out of curiosity, is there that much of a difference between the 4200 and the 4400?
I figured, about 100 bucks difference in price wasn't that bad, if it truely makes a difference?

cache size. people will say that the extra cache doesn;t do much and use benchmarks to prove it. However the flaw with this is that none of the benchamrks like LW, Maya, Cinebench etc. do anything that would show cache performance.

300 smackers for a card I'm not that thrilled about spending, though I may not have much choice?

250.00, since it has a 50.00 rebate. LW OpenGL performance. that pretty much should clinch it for you. It's a lot to spend, but it's worht the cost.

But, like he points out, you can get a $50 rebate on that card so that's a real help.
But I was worried about some of what I read about that particular card ove at NewEgg.
Some, or all were saying it puts out a lot of heat.
MadMax, are you having any issues with heat and that card?

Not really. I noticed the one comment about being hot, but the guy also says he has modded the card and didn;t check heat prior to modding. based on that I wouldn't be too concerned.

I still haven't found the case you're talking about, but last night, errr, this morning I mean, I was blurring out and couldn't read anymore anyway LOL

go to newegg and search SILVERSTONE TEMJIN SST-TJ06B-W

mdunakin
08-25-2005, 08:34 PM
That really wasn't a highjack, as it's on topic.
And I think it's just beginning to be that time for upgrading to a new system.
Especially, since LW and other apps, more and more of them including XP will
be taking advantage of the 64bit setup, which I really can't wait to get into.
And I for one can't wait to get me a dual core 64bit setup running!
If I already knew exactly what I wanted, I'd be purchasing it right now!
But, I've found that patients is always worth the while.
Though I hate waiting LOL

................md :)

mdunakin
08-25-2005, 09:05 PM
First, MadMax, you rock!
thanx major tons for all this help.
So far you haven't wasted any of my time or anyone else's
either with a bunch of hardware Worship, which I for one appreciate.
And you'r opinions seem to be right on track for what I'm looking for, which makes all the difference.
So, a big thanx!

Yeah, that's right about the 50 buck rebate, which then I wouldn't mind that really so much.
And in fact, I wouldn't of minded the 300 smackers either all that much, as I was just
more worried about the heat and the performance, since some were saying things about
HL spazzing a bit with frmae rates, but yet, none of those messages there bothered to
talk about important things, like 3D work or graphics, which is the way I usually see things
in those reviews from people. Everyone plays games and it's almost impossible to get
decent reviews when it comes to 3D or any type of graphics work for that matter.

Anyway, I'll go and check out that case you mention and see what I see.
It'll probably get added to my wish list thingy along with the rest of what you've
suggested so far, as I've thus far have gone with everything you suggested.
And yeah, I see now, that I was screwy on what I said about the RAM.
Obviously, I was up too late to think clearly :)
But!, I learned a lot more about DOF while rendering away the whole time :)

I'll get back and post up my list and let you check it over, just to make
sure I got the correct things, that is if you don't mind?

thanx again too, I appreciate your help greatly!................md :)

mdunakin
08-25-2005, 09:41 PM
OK, I'm probably becoming an anoyance, but do you have another suggestion for the case?

What I mean is, I prefer the mid tower sized cases as I don't have that much to put
in there other then the few HDs, and the new system will probably only have two in it.
One for the C drive and one for my videos and animations, and maybe one more later down the road.
Well, look bellow and you will see what my current system is, and I'll be taking those out
of the old comp and putting them into the new one, namely the CD/DVD drives and like that.

I guess, is it required to use a full sized tower for the MoBo or anything like that?
I've ordered from NewEgg the last time I built a system and am a very satisfied customer too :)
Oh, and I'll assume that I'll want to go with nothing but SATA for all my drives, correct?

My current system, which will end up as a render node later:

XP Pro sp2 5.1 (build 2600)
P4 3ghz HT 800 FSB
2gigs DDR RAM
ATI Radeon 9600XT 256megs Driver: 6.14.10.6553
Asus MOBO
1- 120gig IDE HD C Drive
1- 40gig IDE HD
1- 160gig SATA HD
DVD-RW 12x
CD-ROM 52x
Wacom Tablet 6x8
And 4 USB ports all being used, but I'll be wanting more later.

Thanx, and I'm almost ready to order! :)

...............md :)

mdunakin
08-26-2005, 01:08 AM
OK, this is everything, except for the case.

http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/WishShareShow.asp?ID=1645909&WishListTitle=NEW+AMD+64+2X (http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/WishShareShow.asp?ID=1645909&WishListTitle=NEW+AMD+64+2X)

Just need to decide for sure what case I want I I'll be there.
I also spent some time comparing prices with other places, including my local outfit.
They beat out everyone with their pricing, plus they had rebates or sales on some of the items.
I'm about out of loot though, fur sure!
It's already up to $1,680.91 and that's without the case AND the taxes.
I'll have to think this through for a few days and decide if I can get a similar setup and
save any money, though so far it looks like this setup is the best one and the best pricing.
For what all I would be getting, which would be THEEEE killer system! :)
I'm actually, practically drooling already, just aching to get to play on a setup like that!
I'd love to see how it handles narly Vue scenes, and also my complex Sas scenes.
And of course, radiosity.

..................md :)

MadMax
08-26-2005, 01:46 AM
Well there ae some Silverstone Mid tower cases there. Doesn't need a full tower, it's just a standard ATX layout. Only if you have a ton of drives would you really need to get a full tower, or if you had expansion stuff that needed the room.

OK, I'm probably becoming an anoyance, but do you have another suggestion for the case?

What I mean is, I prefer the mid tower sized cases as I don't have that much to put
in there other then the few HDs, and the new system will probably only have two in it.
One for the C drive and one for my videos and animations, and maybe one more later down the road.
Well, look bellow and you will see what my current system is, and I'll be taking those out
of the old comp and putting them into the new one, namely the CD/DVD drives and like that.

I guess, is it required to use a full sized tower for the MoBo or anything like that?.

mdunakin
08-26-2005, 01:52 AM
Ahh... OK.
You answered me exactly what I was having questions about,
i.e. if one type case or another was required for that MoBo or not?
So thanx, you've been of great help! :)

Can't wait to order!
And NewEgg seems to deliver pretty dern quickly too!

Anyway, sounds like I'm good to go and again,
I appreciate you brains on this one :)
I bet you love your systems, don't ya?
Cuz this thing looks like it'll kick some major butt with render times
as well as with just plain old dealing with graphics in general.
To think, I'll finally have my very own dual core 64bit 4gig awesome system to play with!
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........

MadMax
08-26-2005, 02:10 AM
It's already up to $1,680.91 and that's without the case AND the taxes.:)

Looks perfect to me.

If you want to shave about 100.00 off that order or more, Order the video card and PS from Newegg. Look closely at the listings for the antec PSU. There are 2 models, I has one fan, the other has 2 fans.

If you get the one with 1 fan, it has a rebate on it. 20.00 but it has to be purchased from newegg. it's only good through the 27th though so you would need to hurry.

Order the rest from Monarch. Monarch has a rebate on the OCZ memory. 25.00. AND if you go through their combo link, they will test it for you for free before it is shipped, flash latest bios etc.

No tax which will save a bunch. I spent like 1400.00 for the exact same parts this week on the 4th one I bought.

K. Scott Gant
08-26-2005, 02:28 AM
I agree with the people here talking about AMD. I just finished putting together my new system that I started with my tax rebate.

Coolermaster CM/Stacker Case w/Crossflow MB fan
DFI Lanparty nF4 SLI-DR
PC Power & Cooling 510 Express/SLI PSU
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester Dual Core w/Stock Heatsink (not overclocking at the moment...but will in the future and I'll switch to an XP-90c heatsink)
(4x512mb) OCZ EL DC Gold VX PC4000 RAM
WD Raptor 10,000RPM 76GB (Start-up Drive)
Seagate 200GB 7200RPM SATA NCQ (Data Drive)
NEC 16X Double Layer DVD±RW Drive
AOpen 16X DVD-ROM 52X CD-R 32X CD-RW 52X
Leadtech nVIDIA GeForce 7800GT
Samsung 19" 1280x1024 LCD monitor with 8/ms

I got the DFI over the Asus only because of the layout of the board. The RAM slots go horizontal instead of vertical...this way the Crossflow fan on my CM/Stacker can blow right between the slots and keep them cooled off. The CM/Stacker is a beast of a case...With the wheels on this thing you could also ride it if you really wanted to.

mdunakin
08-26-2005, 02:29 AM
Hmmm,,, OK.

I've never heard of Monarch until this thread and though it was a brand name or something?
Guess it's an online store or something, similar to NewEgg then?
I'll do a search.
And yeah, I'll be going with who ever gives me the best rebates and all that, like you say :)
Rebates always help.
I got my 600 dollar digital camera on sale for 400 and then got a
rebate from that for 200 and only ended up paying 200 for the thing!
Couldn't pass up that deal.

Anyway, let me try and find this Monarch place and see what I see?
Oh, and as far as the PS goes, I seen those two and figured I would
go with the one with two fans over the larger single fan.
Do you agree that it's better to have the two fans over the
one 120mm fan, or is the two 80's better for cooling?
I think those were the fan sizes?
On a 20 dollar rebate for something like that, I don't mind
if I pay a little more, as long as I get the one that stays cooler.
My appartment is hot enough as it is and I'm always battling the heat.
Oh, and that was the ONE THING I didn't like about NewEgg, is that they
charge me for tax, while other places don't, and that can add up really,
really fast with this much money being spent.

....................md :)

MadMax
08-26-2005, 02:39 AM
Hmmm,,, OK.

I've never heard of Monarch until this thread and though it was a brand name or something?
Guess it's an online store or something, similar to NewEgg then?

Yep. I buy a lot from them. Never had a problem.

http://www.monarchcomputer.com

Anyway, let me try and find this Monarch place and see what I see?
Oh, and as far as the PS goes, I seen those two and figured I would
go with the one with two fans over the larger single fan.
Do you agree that it's better to have the two fans over the
one 120mm fan, or is the two 80's better for cooling?

I have not noticed it being an issue in a well cooled case in a good location.

Oh, and that was the ONE THING I didn't like about NewEgg, is that they
charge me for tax, while other places don't, and that can add up really,
really fast with this much money being spent.

That's because you are in the same state. If you orderd out of state, then there is no tax.

mdunakin
08-26-2005, 02:57 AM
Thanx and I had just found it :)

And yeah, I knew what the deal was with the tax bit, but the problem is, NewEgg tends
to have the best pricing around, for almost everything except for a few items.
At least when I do searches for an item I'm interested in and try to find the best pricing.
Like if I use PriceWatch or something like that to search out the best deals.

But, I'm kinda amazed I don't remember ever seeing this Monarch site, though I might
have but just can't remember or something, but if I can save more there with taxes,
then I'll be the happy camper of course :)

That site already looks to be pretty awesome, just from a glance.

............md :)

MadMax
08-26-2005, 03:16 AM
they are frequently recommended in the hardware forum.

mdunakin
08-26-2005, 08:32 PM
OK, today I realized a few other things I haven't yet brought up.
And for me, they're pretty major issues.

Is it true that practically NO programs out there yet run on the 64bit setup?
And if so, does this mean I only have the two choices of:
Either have a dual boot system, one for 32bit and one for 64bit,
which I DO NOT want to have to do, or:
Have to run two machines all the time, eating up my electric bill like crazy
just so I can get to all the other apps that won't run in a 64bit environment?

Cuz most of the time, I only need to run one system at a time.
And right now, I can have LW rendering in the background,
while I wait, I mill around on the internet or work in PS or something else.
When I'm working with LW, I almost always also have PS running at the same time,
since I go back and forth between the two AND the internet and FTP program running too.

If it's better to just get a normal dual core system setup, and wait for more programs,
and of course, drivers for whatever else to get caught up, then I could do that?
I mean, I build a new system about every 2 to 3 years anyway.
And if I'm building this pretty expensive (for me at least) system, only to be used for
a 64bit LW, then that's pretty much a bust, as far as I'm concerned.

Let me know what you out there who already are using such setups think?
Thanx!
.................md :)

MadMax
08-26-2005, 08:50 PM
You are understanding this wrong.

First off, the hardware recommended will run everything you use. No exceptions.

64 bit vs. non 64 bit. This deals with the OS primarily so lets look at that. All the hardware that was recommended will run the 32 bit version of XP no problems. All your software will work with it no problems. You do get the majority of the benefits of the advanced procesors capabilitie except for large memory addressing.

Windows 64. A 64 bit version of XP. Ther eis little software that actually takes advantage of Win64 natively yet. And drivers are somewhat sparse so far. However, virtually ALL applications ecept for those with 16 bit installer will run just fine, and in some cases faster than on 32 bit XP.

I have Lightwave, Modo, Maya, Digital Fusion, Avid Expres HD, adobe Creative Suite and a few others installed on Win64 and they run just fine.

So although you THINK it may be an issue, it isn't.

There is no need for dual booting anything, or having multiple computer going. One box doe it all, just like you are now.

OK, today I realized a few other things I haven't yet brought up.
And for me, they're pretty major issues.

Is it true that practically NO programs out there yet run on the 64bit setup?
And if so, does this mean I only have the two choices of:
Either have a dual boot system, one for 32bit and one for 64bit,
which I DO NOT want to have to do, or:
Have to run two machines all the time, eating up my electric bill like crazy
just so I can get to all the other apps that won't run in a 64bit environment?

Cuz most of the time, I only need to run one system at a time.
And right now, I can have LW rendering in the background,
while I wait, I mill around on the internet or work in PS or something else.
When I'm working with LW, I almost always also have PS running at the same time,
since I go back and forth between the two AND the internet and FTP program running too.

mdunakin
08-26-2005, 09:09 PM
Ohhhh... OK.

I was reading from a thread in the comp.graphics.apps.lightwave froup, under a thread called:
8.5... end of sept?
And it was like everyone was going on about this sort of thing and THAT'S when
I began to worry and why I said it was a major issue for me.
Because, if all that was true, then that would of been a major issue.
And of course, it's quite possible that I just missunderstood what they
ALLL were saying, though that's what it looked like they were say, to me?

So, I'm glad to hear this good news, cuz I was really getting excited about
building me this awesome (and it does look to be very awesome) system.

So, Will I need to get the 64bit XP Pro or stay with the current XP Pro that I am using?
Just want to be clear on that.
It sounds like you are saying that I should go ahead and get the 64bit XP Pro and run that?
And that the only problems will be that some programs still won't be able to take
advantage of the XP 64bit aspect of things quite yet, correct?

Thanx again too!
I'm gonna go ahead and order the main parts listed for this and worry about the case
and some other items a bit later, as I'm still debating what I want to do in those areas.
And besides, after the last time when I ordered a case from online, it came broken and
took me forever to get it replaced, which meant I wasted my money on the 2 day shipping.
Now I have a fobia against ordering things that are big online, where
you can't just run down to the store and replace the thing.

MadMax
08-26-2005, 09:15 PM
Ohhhh... OK.

I was reading from a thread in the comp.graphics.apps.lightwave froup, under a thread called:
8.5... end of sept?
And it was like everyone was going on about this sort of thing and THAT'S when
I began to worry and why I said it was a major issue for me.

I rarely read that newsgroup as it i often filled with extreme misinformation and poor advice. Often you se people who have no idea what they are talking about as if they were an expert on the subject. Jeff (DarkScience) is pretty good, he knows his stuff, even though his info is outdated sometimes.

So, Will I need to get the 64bit XP Pro or stay with the current XP Pro that I am using?
Just want to be clear on that.
It sounds like you are saying that I should go ahead and get the 64bit XP Pro and run that?
And that the only problems will be that some programs still won't be able to take
advantage of the XP 64bit aspect of things quite yet, correct?

I would say go with the stndard XP Pro for now. When 8.5 comes out, you will also have the 64 bit version of 8.5 out as well. And Lightwave kicks all kinds of major a$$ under 64 bit.

trying to sort out drivers might be an issue for you at the moment. in a couple of months when thigns like LW64 are out, then worry about it.

mdunakin
08-26-2005, 09:35 PM
I rarely read that newsgroup as it i often filled with extreme misinformation and poor advice. Often you se people who have no idea what they are talking about as if they were an expert on the subject.
I tend to agree with this, for most things, but when I also don't know what I'm
talking about, i.e. I am new to a subject, I then can't decern quality info from bad info.

Jeff (DarkScience) is pretty good, he knows his stuff, even though his info is outdated sometimes.
Yeah, I agree with this as well, though I haven't really seen Jeff around for some time.

I would say go with the stndard XP Pro for now. When 8.5 comes out, you will also have the 64 bit version of 8.5 out as well. And Lightwave kicks all kinds of major a$ under 64 bit.
And exactly! :)
Cuz this is what I'm really aching to try out with the 64bit, is to see how LW will handle in it?
Should be pretty fun AND pretty awesome!
Plus, 4 WHOLE GIGS! of RAM!, that's gonna be REAL FUN! :)
And I'll love to see how Vue will handle with this power system as well?
Though I'm fully aware of all or most of the current issues they are having to deal
with Vue right now, but I know they'll all get worked out down the road soon enough.

BTW, thanx for your really fast reply times here, I appreciate it.

Anyway, I guess I need to get this stuff ordered, so I can get it by next week and
that'll give me plenty of time to think about the case I want and some
other little things I'll be adding to that system as well.

BTW, it seems like I heard that the XP64 will be able to handle
more RAM better then the regular version, is that true?

...............md :)

MadMax
08-26-2005, 09:56 PM
BTW, thanx for your really fast reply times here, I appreciate it.

No problem. I have to do something while rendering.

BTW, it seems like I heard that the XP64 will be able to handle
more RAM better then the regular version, is that true?

OH YEAH...... And then some. Bottom line, zoic wa having isues with the Galactica model because it was 4 million polys. it was so big LW couldn;t handle it.

at the intro demo in LA earlier in th year, they opened 8 instance of the Galactica.

Other than that, I cannot say more.

mdunakin
08-26-2005, 11:22 PM
OH YEAH...... And then some. Bottom line, zoic wa having isues with the Galactica model because it was 4 million polys. it was so big LW couldn;t handle it.

at the intro demo in LA earlier in th year, they opened 8 instance of the Galactica.
Wow!
That IS something awesome!

As long as I'm asking questions, something has come up that I'm not sure about.
What's the difference between a Serial ATA and a SATA drive?
Or are they the same thing?
They LIST them with both titles so that confuses me.
What I want to know is, can I use that kind of drive for a C drive and if so, which type would I use?

Cuz as long as I'm ordering right now, I might as well get the C drive while I'm at it.
I was just gonna drop my other drives into this new system and worry about the
old one later, when I get a little more cash flow, but now I'm rethinking that,
since those drives are faster access speeds then the typical IDE drives.

And besides, drives are sooooo cheap these days, it's no big deal anymore.
I just know I want to get my order placed today so that way I still have time to send in for my rebates.
I just had to take a swim in the pool for a while, as it's blazing hot out here right now in San Diego.

thanx.............md :)
And yeah, while you're rendering and doing the net while you wait, is what I always do LOL

MadMax
08-26-2005, 11:37 PM
Wow!
That IS something awesome!

As long as I'm asking questions, something has come up that I'm not sure about.
What's the difference between a Serial ATA and a SATA drive?
Or are they the same thing?
They LIST them with both titles so that confuses me.
What I want to know is, can I use that kind of drive for a C drive and if so, which type would I use?

Serial ATA, SATA. It's the same thing.

I have an 80gb SATA drive as my boot drive, and several 250gb. SATA II drives in raid.

mdunakin
08-26-2005, 11:49 PM
Ok, thanx.

That's what I thought.
Now I can finish up my order and get that over with.
Next week I'll worry about the rest, but first things first.
Not in a big hurry, but I am for these things, as some of them have
rebates that I NEED to get sent out right away or I forfiet the rebates.

thanx....................md :)

RPG2006
08-27-2005, 09:24 AM
Mark,

I had x64 installed for a bit, but have since gone back to 32bit. Thought I would hold on for a while.

My wacom intuos 3, Logitech cordless and epson printer are supported. As is my Momo Steering wheel and audigy2.

However my canon scanner and my usb adsl modem aren't supported. I had to buy a new ethernet modem, which was pretty easy to setup. The ironic thing is that I bought a new microsoft media pro keyboard with my kit, and that isn't supported by win x64.

In addition if you are planning to buy any games, and it seems that isn't a priory for you, you will need to check whether they will work. There's a 32 bit starforce protection system used on quite a few games, which will prevent the game from running in 64 bit. Farcry has a patch for this, but it seems quite a few don't.

http://www.planetamd64.com/lofiversion/index.php/t7546.html

I wasn't sure what other issues I had to look forward to, so albeit I like x64 and it's seamless multi-tasking, personally I thought best to hold on. In addition, and this maybe an obvious result, Lightwave 32bit, didn't render any faster in x64 than 32 bit.

Just my experiences anyway.

RPG:)

ps. On the psu, I did finally open up my kit, and it's an Enermax EG651P-VE. Seems the reviews are favourable.

mlmiller1983
08-27-2005, 03:30 PM
I'm saving up to build a AMD X2 workstation and a second AMD X2 pc so I can network render. I think I will stick with a pair the AMD 64 X2 4600+.By the time I am ready to build I am sure they will drop. The AMD X2 processors are simply amazing, both in performance and power usage. Kudos to AMD.

Lightwave 9 MIGHT actually benefit from a card that uses OpenGL 2.0 but since I am a gamer I am going with a GeForce 7800 GT.

As for OS I am sticking to 32bit Win XP pro. 64-bit is still releatively knew mainstream and until more of my software like After Effects, Photoshop, and Premiere Pro go 64 bit I ain't jumping ship.

mdunakin
08-27-2005, 06:15 PM
4600+ sure sounds awesome!
That should really scream!

My current card already has had the OpenGL 2.0, and sadly, most things aren't even
up to that yet, and I've had it for a year or more now... I think it's been that long.
Maybe longer, and it's never really gotten the chance to be used for all that much.

But, my new card will still be the same deal, with OGL 2.0.

..............md :)

MadMax
08-27-2005, 06:24 PM
4600+ sure sounds awesome!
That should really scream!

4600 is one speed step up, but half the cache of the 4400. Since it is quite safe to overclcok these, it's easy to save a couple of hundred bucks.

getting 2.7 stable isn't all that difficult, and that is a bit faster than the current top end, the 4800 which is like 800.00+

mlmiller1983
08-27-2005, 06:30 PM
4600 is one speed step up, but half the cache of the 4400. Since it is quite safe to overclcok these, it's easy to save a couple of hundred bucks.

getting 2.7 stable isn't all that difficult, and that is a bit faster than the current top end, the 4800 which is like 800.00+

I have yet to see the extra 512KB Cache per core make any difference in anything other than gaming. Unless your a gamer there is really no point to getting the X2s cores with 1MB cache from all the benchmarks I have read on the net.

krimpr
08-28-2005, 10:48 PM
Wow... this has been an educational thread to watch. MadMax... I'm impressed. Umm; at the risk of hijacking this thread (not my intent; it is harware related) I just took delivery of my new system with a Tyan Thunder board and less than 20 minutes ago was ready to load up LW. I have a parellel port dongle but... what the heck? No parallel port on the board! I've tried a couple of adapters via USB and serial port to Parallel, but LW insists that the dongle isn't there. Is there any way to point out to LW that it is indeed there or is this a hardware problem? I've been soooo excited about finally getting something really hot but this puts my fire out bigtime. I've resisted exchanging the dongle because of the plugs tied to it. Is there a solution? Thanks to anyone with any good ideas.

MadMax
08-28-2005, 11:11 PM
Your best bet is to contact newtek, tke the plunge and switch to the USB Duo dongle.

Wow... this has been an educational thread to watch. MadMax... I'm impressed. Umm; at the risk of hijacking this thread (not my intent; it is harware related) I just took delivery of my new system with a Tyan Thunder board and less than 20 minutes ago was ready to load up LW. I have a parellel port dongle but... what the heck? No parallel port on the board! I've tried a couple of adapters via USB and serial port to Parallel, but LW insists that the dongle isn't there. Is there any way to point out to LW that it is indeed there or is this a hardware problem? I've been soooo excited about finally getting something really hot but this puts my fire out bigtime. I've resisted exchanging the dongle because of the plugs tied to it. Is there a solution? Thanks to anyone with any good ideas.

krimpr
08-28-2005, 11:20 PM
Somehow I knew that would be the right way to go but thought it was worth asking anyway. Thank you.

mdunakin
08-29-2005, 01:20 AM
Yeah, I bit the bullet recently as well and got me the USB dongle.
But don't have a heart attack like I did, when I found out it cost a
whopping $100 smackers for the stupid thing!
Waaayyyy over priced!
I'd say it's worth maybe 5 bucks tops.

Someone sure is laughing their asses off, knowing they're totally ripping
people off with those stupid little things that Pirates get around anyway with.
Punish the honest good guys, by forcing them to use a dongle, is the motto.
And rub salt into that wound by charging you $100 bucks for the stupid little @&%$#.
Yes, I have issues :)

.................md LOL

BTW, MadMax, I order the first stage of parts for my system yesterday, but
have to wait till Monday to order the rest, as I need to let my bank know what's up.
My protection plan won't let me spend more then a certain amount,
unless I authorise it first, which I can't do till then.
Can't wait to get that thing built and have me some REAL fun with it!
Plus, now I'll have two computers so I can network render and all that,
just like normal people do LOL
And my current 3ghz, 2gigs RAM system, isn't exactly slow.
Should all be some real fun!

MadMax
08-29-2005, 01:45 AM
Yeah, I bit the bullet recently as well and got me the USB dongle.
But don't have a heart attack like I did, when I found out it cost a
whopping $100 smackers for the stupid thing!
Waaayyyy over priced!
I'd say it's worth maybe 5 bucks tops.

WOW.

I got mine for 29.00 each

mdunakin
08-29-2005, 02:26 AM
Hmmm,,, well, come to think of it, I think it was cheaper then that, but I think I got
myself screwed with the "shipping" and not so much with the price of the dongle.

So, I take that back, but I was totally confused when I ordered it, so that would
explain me getting the wrong shipping deal, as I needed the thing right away and
thought I had to do and overnight shipping thingy and later found out that that
was the old way, that now you don't have to send them in your old one first before
you can get the new one, which was what I thought I was supposed to do.
So when you add that 60+ bucks for shipping, then yeah, it cost my about a 100 smackers.
So, it was really me just not understanding how the new rules worked.

So, I was wrong about the actual cost.
My appologies.
I still hate the damm thing, but my appologies for giving out missleading info.

And no, I didn't figure out the whole return policy till it was too late.
................md :(

architook
08-29-2005, 02:59 AM
I have yet to see the extra 512KB Cache per core make any difference in anything other than gaming. Unless your a gamer there is really no point to getting the X2s cores with 1MB cache from all the benchmarks I have read on the net.

Do you have any links to LW benchmarks run with the 4600 vs 4800 or 4200 vs the 4400?
Or any 3D benchmarks with those? I have never seen a head to head matchup, even on Blanos's Lightwave benchmark site.
http://www.blanos.com/benchmark/bprint.cgi

MadMax
08-29-2005, 03:34 AM
Do you have any links to LW benchmarks run with the 4600 vs 4800 or 4200 vs the 4400?
Or any 3D benchmarks with those? I have never seen a head to head matchup, even on Blanos's Lightwave benchmark site.

Actually there is one listing for an X2.

Go to 1 CPU, Raytrace, and all. Don;t be specific about versions, OS etc.

the top listing is an X2. It says Athlon 64 2500mhz or something like that. Click info and it details what he has.

Also do a search at techreport.com they had some really good benchmarks done a while back when the first X2's came out.

There will be more listings at Blanos within the week with X2 scores. :)

architook
08-29-2005, 04:49 AM
Actually there is one listing for an X2.

the top listing is an X2. It says Athlon 64 2500mhz or something like that. Click info and it details what he has.

Also do a search at techreport.com they had some really good benchmarks done a while back when the first X2's came out.

Yes, but we need an X2 4600+ vs a X2 4800+ comparison in order to see if indeed the cache matters. A 4200+ vs 4400+ would also work.
Unfortunately the Tech Report tested a 4200+ and a 4800+, which shows a good range, but doesn't tell us specifically the cache advantage.

But thanks for the heads-up about more X2 benches coming on the Blanos site. Eventually we'll get tests from a full range and we can finally compare.

mdunakin
08-29-2005, 09:07 PM
MadMax, I just wanted to say a GREAT BIG THANX! to you for all your help and advice.
I've placed all my orders and now I just get to wait for them to show up.
Both NewEgg and Monarch are great places to deal with and as I'm new to Monarch,
I have to add that I can see they are proffessional in their dealing with me and I
appreciate that and I let them know as well, which they appreciated.

I should get everything by week's end.
It's going to be a truely awesome system when it's all setup and done!

Again, thanx, you've been a great help to me....................md :)

MadMax
08-29-2005, 09:09 PM
thanks for the props Mark.

I do my best to help people get the most they can for their hard earned dollar.

Niklas Collin
08-30-2005, 07:03 AM
Sorry to hijack the thread but my question is related and don't want to start a new thread.

I've been considering an update of my system and the system I'll most likely go for is quite similar for the one MadMax was recommending.

AMD A64 X2 4400+
2 gigs of memory
GeForce 7800 GT
Asus A8N-SLI Premium

I really don't have any problem with the system and I've all but bought it. The only thing that is bugging me is my PSU. Currently I'm running with Antec silent 430W PSU and I love it (really silent). I *think* that it should be enough for that system but I'm not quite sure since we are talking about dual core processor and 7800-series GeForce which both require huge amounts of power to run. So if someone could possibly tell me if I'll have to also buy a new PSU too (I'll go for new case then and create a rendering computer right away from my old system).

MadMax
08-30-2005, 07:09 AM
Sorry to hijack the thread but my question is related and don't want to start a new thread.

I really don't have any problem with the system and I've all but bought it. The only thing that is bugging me is my PSU. Currently I'm running with Antec silent 430W PSU and I love it (really silent). I *think* that it should be enough for that system but I'm not quite sure since we are talking about dual core processor and 7800-series GeForce which both require huge amounts of power to run. So if someone could possibly tell me if I'll have to also buy a new PSU too (I'll go for new case then and create a rendering computer right away from my old system).

Isn't that a 20 pin power supply? A8N SLI uses a 24 pin power supply. and 430 might be a bit weak for the 4400+ and the 7800. The video card is a power sucker.

Niklas Collin
08-30-2005, 09:36 AM
Isn't that a 20 pin power supply? A8N SLI uses a 24 pin power supply. and 430 might be a bit weak for the 4400+ and the 7800. The video card is a power sucker.

Really can't remember if it was 20 pin. Anyway, you confirmed my suspicions and I'll propably go for a new case and PSU. Gonna pay me more so I'll have to make few calculations before rushing into the store... :D

mlmiller1983
08-30-2005, 11:06 AM

I haven't seen any Lightwave benchmarks but here is a Maya(which I do use) and 3DS Max rendering benchmark from GamePC:http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=a64x2&page=7

mdunakin
08-31-2005, 12:37 AM
Well, I'm here to bother you again, MadMax :)
I know you recommened a certain brand ond model for the PS, but I'm curious,
if it really matters on that or not?
Cuz that's some real loot to fork out and if I can get a cheaper brand that does the same job, then I will.

And what's some GOOD fans to get?
What brands are better and mostly, "cooler"?
I want this system to be cool.

thanx..................md :)

MadMax
08-31-2005, 04:37 AM
Well, I'm here to bother you again, MadMax :)
I know you recommened a certain brand ond model for the PS, but I'm curious,
if it really matters on that or not?
Cuz that's some real loot to fork out and if I can get a cheaper brand that does the same job, then I will.

unfortunately it does make a difference, and this is the single most important item not to go cheap on.

I'm not even recommending an expensive PS. top of the line would be 200.00 Basically a 50.00 PS from the local computer store that just says POWER SUPPLY on the box in big letters is crap. The cheapies virtually never provide a steady voltage.

Cheap power supplies have been responsible for HUGE numbers of problems for people who go to the forums aking why my computer reboots after 15 minutes. Or random lock ups or any number of other annoying issues.

And what's some GOOD fans to get? What brands are better and mostly, "cooler"?
I want this system to be cool.

Panaflo makes some really nice high volume low noise fans. Check out

www.heatsinkfactory.com

for great deals on them. I put the high volume Panaflow, 92mm on my XP-90c, works great. Very cool. Vantec makes some great fans too, but avoid the tornado. It cools great, but it's signature profile sounds like an F-14 throttling up for takeoff.

IF you ordred the XP-90c, look for fans in the 80-92mm range, (if you get the 92 mm you can get a lower CFM rating on the fanm db is usually lower as well.

Look for fans around 20-30db to keep the noise level decent. Over 30 and you are starting to get into runway simulations.

mdunakin
08-31-2005, 08:06 AM
OK, well, I guess I have no problem with the PS then.
Though I did notice they had two types of that same model, one with one fan and the other with two fans.
I think I want to go with the two fan deal, for obvious reasons, no?

As for the fans, you mention the 92mm, but that might not get to
happen if the case only holds some 800mm's and 120mm's, right?

And I was also amazed they only went up to 550watt,
when the one I have in my current system is a 600watt'r.
Is this going to be any major problems for me?

These two items are the only items I haven't ordered yet, as I wanted to wait to
see which case I wanted to buy, which BTW, I still haven't figured that out yet...uhg.

thanx...................md :)

mdunakin
09-06-2005, 09:29 PM
OK, MadMax, I "finally!" got all the rest of my parts delivered today, from the FedEx guy!
I am soooo excited to get this thing put together that I can't stands it :)
I just wanted to let you know that I got all the items you suggested other
then the case, which is no biggie there. And that MoBo looks totally killer too.
But I had to let you know, that I didn't even realize just how awesome that CPU really is?
When I opened the box, I noticed they have this totally cool/awesome radiator like
cooling system under the fan! Way too cool, plus, it just looks neat :)

Gonna spend the rest of today putting things together and probably will flow into tomorrow too.
And when I get LW installed onto THIS system, I'll let you know what some of my render
times differences are from my current system, which I already suspect will be killer :)

Thanx again for your help with all of this too!

You truely know your stuff, there is no dought in my mind on this.
Pretty soon, I'll have me my own little render farm going :)
Thanx!
Yes, lots of smilies, but that's how happy of a camper I am right now.
I'll be back in a couple of few days.

MadMax
09-06-2005, 10:00 PM
That HSF is called a heatpipe setup. there is a coolant/liquid inside the pipes. heat is transferred, the fans cause condensation etc. The stock unit is more than sufficient for cooling needs.

you'll love playing with this.

nt65
11-02-2005, 01:00 PM
Madmax,
I have noticed you have a setup similar to what I am currently looking to buy.
I use a HP XW9300 at work and absolutely love it - but its damn expensive.

Could you list out everything you have please? You obviously know your stuff.

I have heard that the NVIDIA cards can be modded to a Quadro card.
I was looking at the Quadro 3450 256MB, but its too expensive.
Can I get away with a 6800 and modding it? I must admit I am reluctant to flash the bios and then find it doesnt work anymore!

thanks in advance,

MadMax
11-02-2005, 03:54 PM
That would take awhile, I have more than one system and they vary from dual CPU, single CPU, dual core, quad (dual dual core) etc.

I am going to assume however you mean the system in my sig file?

That is a Tyan K8We

Opteron 275 dual cores

Pair of nVidia 6800 Ultra video cards (not in SLI mode)

4gb OCZ registered server series PC3200 ram (my suggstions are usually for Corsair or OCZ)

Plus I have a few WD SATA II drives in the 250gb variety.

Not really much to tell beyond that as most components are built in these days.

Madmax,
I have noticed you have a setup similar to what I am currently looking to buy.
I use a HP XW9300 at work and absolutely love it - but its damn expensive.

Could you list out everything you have please? You obviously know your stuff.

I have heard that the NVIDIA cards can be modded to a Quadro card.
I was looking at the Quadro 3450 256MB, but its too expensive.
Can I get away with a 6800 and modding it? I must admit I am reluctant to flash the bios and then find it doesnt work anymore!

thanks in advance,

nt65
11-03-2005, 12:13 PM
Thanks matey, thats exactly what I was after.
Where do you recommend I buy this stuff from, and will they shop OS to Australia?

Also do you recommend buying a Quadro card or modding a "games graphics card" to get almost similar results?

thanks again, much appreciated.

MadMax
11-03-2005, 04:33 PM
Thanks matey, thats exactly what I was after.
Where do you recommend I buy this stuff from, and will they shop OS to Australia?

Also do you recommend buying a Quadro card or modding a "games graphics card" to get almost similar results?

thanks again, much appreciated.

I buy a lot from Monarch and Newegg. No idea on international shipping though.

Quadro, not really necessary. 6800/7800's work just fine for a fraction of the price.

CGTalk Moderation
11-03-2005, 04:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.