PDA

View Full Version : Surface Baker and TB's Normal Map shader?

Lasercade
08-24-2005, 08:48 PM
-I also posted this question at Spinquad...

I'm using Surface Baker to try to bake normal map to an image using TB's Normal Map shader.

I have "Bake Shaders" selected in Surface Baker, but when I render, the shader doesn't appear.

Has anyone gotten this to work?

(I'm using 7.5d on Xp service pack 2)

thanks,

mm

[Sanaloria]Snake
08-24-2005, 10:26 PM
Don't worry, I have some shaders that are not baked too. You have to try something else, but ... what do you want to obtain in fact ? (what the picture you want to get should look like ?)

Lasercade
08-24-2005, 10:33 PM
I'm making what's best described as an animation of a surreal landscape I guess - but I'm using background radiosity, normal mapping and oher things that make rendering each frame costly. Since theres not any animation going on except the camera, Baking the textures is a great solution for rendering.

Unfortunately it looks like it doesn't work with this shader. You've had problems with shaders being rendered as well with surface baker? Which ones?

thanks,

mm

[Sanaloria]Snake
09-02-2005, 03:28 PM
Hi,

Have a look here :
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=2597299&postcount=12
I made something that can help you to RENDER an already existing normal map, if you use TB_ShaderTree.

Some shaders don't get baked, like GRIT that put dirt in hard to reach parts of the objects (holes, negative angles etc) but TB_Dirt is baked, and normal mapping is something very special that needs some tools to be really baked. Well, I don't really know why some shaders are not baked.

If you want to bake geometry in a normal map you should use the programs and plugins in the above link, but it seems you already have those ?

Good luck,
Snake

Lasercade
09-02-2005, 06:30 PM
Hi,
No I have never used the rendertree plug-in, so thanks for letting me know about that. I'll try it out. Does this allow suface baker to bake the normal map or does this actually save out a rendered version of the normal map?

thanks,

mm

[Sanaloria]Snake
09-08-2005, 02:37 PM
No, it renders the effect of the normal map (you will see the object as if it were more detailed, as if you applied a bump map in fact). If you want to render a normal map itself from a complex geometry to a simple one, it's a lot more difficult ! TB_ShaderTree is just a shader for rendering purposes, with the normal map tree I made you can just replace your old bump maps with cool and beautiful normal maps :love:you will get the same result (and even better).

To bake a normal map from a high polygon model to a low polygon model you need a plugin called Microwave edited by Evasion3D (not free). You can also look for a command line standalone called Orb (Open Render Bump), or eventually Kaldera for 3DSmax (if you have 3dsmax and some money to buy Kaldera).

Another way is to use the plugin from ATI (url available in the link above).

=> These plugs use both HP and LP models to bake the details from one to the other, it's just a projection engine in fact. The normal map will be drawn in the UV map coords of the LP model. To worry about the texture coordinates of the HP model, but :
- If you use ORB you won't be able to bake the textures (color ones) of the HP to the LP,
- I never used microwave so I don't really know what it does and does not,
- But I know that Kaldera does everything :) it can make a normal map, an alpha map, a color map, a lightmap, a shadow map and some custom maps.

Bye
Snake

Lasercade
09-08-2005, 05:00 PM
Hi,
I already have my normal map, exported from zbrush. What I want to do is use surface baker ot bake the normal map to an image file, along with background radiosity.

I downloaded TB's Shadertree, but it seems pretty complicated and the instructions aren't in English, so I can't figure it out. Are there any tutorials around?

thanks,

mm

[Sanaloria]Snake
09-09-2005, 06:37 PM
Hi,

Download that tree :
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/jcmerlin/Sanaloria/UsineAGaz/NormalMapping_TangentSpace_Generic.shd
Just open the shader and do Open>Open and load "NormalMapping_TangentSpace_Generic.shd", then apply your map (double click on the upper-left box). I made it for the rendering of tangent space normal maps.

Well, if you want to render the effect of the normal map, try using TB_ShaderTree instead of TB_NormalMapper. But I don't know ! I tested it quickly using ShaderTree and I did not work. If you know someone who has 3dsmax, it can handle normal mapping I think. It may work.

... and you can wait for Lightwave 9, it may integrate normal mapping !

Bye
Snake

CGTalk Moderation
09-09-2005, 06:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.