PDA

View Full Version : Sony Corp is adding Internet access to Play Station Portable

RobertoOrtiz
08-24-2005, 03:28 PM
Quote:
"Sony Corp is adding Internet access to its Play Station Portable in a bid to increase the mobile gaming device's appeal as a handheld entertainment center, the company said on Wednesday.

Sony Computer Entertainment America is offering PSP users a software upgrade that will allow wireless Internet access on the device, including a new Web browser to connect to news, entertainment content, online searches and e-mail."

>>Link<< (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050824/tc_nm/sony_psp_dc;_ylt=AjrGloCDKlv3eYzsjOpHi4UjtBAF;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl)

-R

t-toe
08-24-2005, 03:38 PM
I don't own a PSP so I could be wrong... but I thought this patch was already released and people had been browsing for a month or so now on their PSPs...

digitalshaman
08-24-2005, 04:34 PM
i dont think the patch was released previously, but there was a hack within wipeout or something that enabled you to browse the net ...

PhilWesson
08-24-2005, 04:34 PM
what happened was last month the japanese patch was released for japanese psps. However, the patch was compatible with the US psp, so people who didn't want to wait downloaded that one.

Sony for some reason wasn't too happy about this and told people that the japanese firmware update would damage their psp, then they said it wouldn't damage it, but would void their warrenty. They then said that those who did install the japanese firmware update should install the american update available aug 12th. The aug 12th update was then pushed to the week of aug 15th... and then was finally released today.

Funny thing is, as far as I can tell, the japanese and american firmware updates are EXACTLY THE SAME.

So yes, the american psps can now search the web, even though they've been able to for a while now.
I guess its 'official' at this point.

Phew
(pm me if you have any psp 2.0 questions )

T Bomb
08-24-2005, 06:55 PM
This patch just makes it legal for US PSP owners to have 2.0 Previously for installing the Jap 2.0 Firmware you violated your warr.

08-25-2005, 02:27 AM
CGTalk looks good on the PSP. Actually most sites look good. Text are clean and images look as good as in the regular monitor. I like the psp as a browser better than some PDAs.

Beamtracer
08-25-2005, 03:04 AM
Wasn't Sony going to use code from the open source KHTML (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khtml) browser? I may be wrong on that one. The article just says Sony is using a "new browser", whatever that means. It would be interesting to know what browser it is based on, or if Sony wrote a browser from the ground up, which you wouldn't think would be necessary.

It's good that there are more devices connecting to the internet, running on software written by different companies and organizations. It helps prevent one company from controlling the protocols.

Picture of new PSP browser:
http://www.bargainpda.com/assets/4052.jpg (http://www.bargainpda.com/assets/4051.jpg)

08-25-2005, 03:47 AM
I think it's based on Mozilla.

Beamtracer
08-25-2005, 04:43 AM
I think it's based on Mozilla.

Ah. Mozilla. Thanks '201'.

Well, if Sony is basing its browser on Mozilla, that's good. I assume that means they'd have to release the source code to the public, so anyone who wants to can modify it as they choose.

Good to see Sony jumping on the open source band wagon. It was only a few weeks ago that we heard that the next generation Sony PlayStation 3 (with Cell processors) will be running the Linux OS. Being open source, you should be able to tweak and modify that as well.

Cronholio
08-25-2005, 05:28 AM
Ah. Mozilla. Thanks '201'.

Well, if Sony is basing its browser on Mozilla, that's good. I assume that means they'd have to release the source code to the public, so anyone who wants to can modify it as they choose.

Good to see Sony jumping on the open source band wagon. It was only a few weeks ago that we heard that the next generation Sony PlayStation 3 (with Cell processors) will be running the Linux OS. Being open source, you should be able to tweak and modify that as well.

Actually I don't think they are bound by any license to release the software source to the public in this case as technically they aren't distributing compiled software. They are selling hardware with embedded open source software. In cases like this, a company like Sony surely has permission from the software copyright holders to wave certain conditions of the GPL (these sort of agreements are actually part of the GPL and many other open source licensing agreements). They may likely have even paid for the right to use it. These sort of deals are revenue generators for comapnies like Mozilla and the Free Software Foundation.

CGTalk Moderation
08-25-2005, 05:28 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.