PDA

View Full Version : Pixar's "Cars" preview - Ultimate Disney

FloydBishop
08-24-2005, 02:08 PM
http://www.ultimatedisney.com/animatedpreview0506.html

I really like the wide open spaces type shots...

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/images/a-c/carsprev14.jpg

swardson
08-24-2005, 02:11 PM
wow, those landscapes are beee aaaa utiful, especially because I live in the desert and see how well they re-created that.

-Brad

spmonahan
08-24-2005, 03:03 PM
I was skeptical that this movie could live up to the Pixar name when I saw the initial trailer before The Incredibles but now I'm really looking forward to it.

polygun
08-24-2005, 04:48 PM
I was skeptical that this movie could live up to the Pixar name when I saw the initial trailer before The Incredibles but now I'm really looking forward to it.

Im still skeptical, and I hate how the eyes arent the headlights.

Rudity
08-24-2005, 05:03 PM
Man, I'm really liking the look of this movie.

Everyone else is doing furry animals, and pixar is doing cars. Neato.

About the eyes being in the windshields. I personlly think thats genius.
Instead of a hollow interior now, it feels like there's a brain behind the eyes. A living car.
There's twice as much room for character with that. And the roof can act as an eyebrow. Half the front of the car is all eyes. Soooo much more expression. It also eliminates the need for a "ghost car" look, or a driver sitting in there. I think it brings us further into this world of cars :)

hypercube
08-24-2005, 05:12 PM
I never had a problem with the eyes on the windshield, and the more characters I see with it the more I think it works..aside from referencing the older car cartoons as has been mentioned in other threads, Rudity makes great points..it allows the whole car to be a head and body, rather than a mobile face on a brick. It also opens up the use of more design elements of the car as part of the face.

If they had done the headlights as eyes, it would be like too many things done before it, and everyone would just be complaining they ripped off the forever-associated "Aardman/Chevron cars" look. Can't please anyone. :shrug:

Anyway, looking forward to it, cool to see more trickling out..since I got the Ultimate Toybox I'm not getting the 10th anniversary edition just to see this, but I will give it a rent I think..heh.

JMcWilliams
08-24-2005, 05:32 PM
6th row down, right side caption... "Wow, computers!" :scream: :rolleyes: **sigh**

JeroenDStout
08-24-2005, 06:21 PM
I really don't like the look of it so far, but I think I had the same with The Incredibles (until I went "awww" over Violet, I guess) - so it may very well be great. I mean, great movies take great risks.

Neil
08-24-2005, 07:05 PM
Reminds me of Thomas the Train or whatever that PBS cartoon is, haha.
I actually love those Chevron commercials and wish they did copy that style!

animatty
08-24-2005, 08:26 PM
http://www.autobgood.com/

agreenster
08-24-2005, 09:15 PM
Man, I'm really liking the look of this movie.

Everyone else is doing furry animals, and pixar is doing cars. Neato.

About the eyes being in the windshields. I personlly think thats genius.
Instead of a hollow interior now, it feels like there's a brain behind the eyes. A living car.
There's twice as much room for character with that. And the roof can act as an eyebrow. Half the front of the car is all eyes. Soooo much more expression. It also eliminates the need for a "ghost car" look, or a driver sitting in there. I think it brings us further into this world of cars :)

Word. I think I posted the same thing when the teaser trailer came out...where ever that thread is now..

liquidik
08-24-2005, 09:26 PM
Well, those characters are really comunicative...I love them..

G

DorkmanScott
08-24-2005, 09:36 PM
I have a better feeling about it -- now that there's a storyline; the teaser made it really hard to figure out how they were going to make a feature out of the concept -- but I'm still not sure I buy into it completely. I'll see it though. They haven't failed me before, they've earned some blind faith on this one.

agreenster
08-24-2005, 11:20 PM
They haven't failed me before, they've earned some blind faith on this one.

I'm sure they've had sleepless nights making sure not to fail you! ;)

Seriously though, this is Pixar we're talking about. If anyone can do it, they can. (and have, according to all the inside scoop I've heard)

chow-mein
08-24-2005, 11:36 PM
I'm sure they've had sleepless nights making sure not to fail you! ;)

Seriously though, this is Pixar we're talking about. If anyone can do it, they can. (and have, according to all the inside scoop I've heard)

I really doubt they have sleepless nights...

08-25-2005, 12:22 AM
Reminds me of Thomas the Train or whatever that PBS cartoon is, haha.

Yeah, it reminds of those PBS shows... the one with the train and the one with the helicopter. Wasn't George Carlin in those shows?

My Fault
08-25-2005, 12:35 AM
I really doubt they have sleepless nights...

Oh man I was at Pixar having lunch with my mentor last month and let me tell you the Cars animators looked beat! You can tell they were really busting their butts. So yes I do think they have had some spleepless night.

shehbahn
08-25-2005, 12:41 AM
>So yes I do think they have had some spleepless night.

hard to keep up with all that partying...

FloydBishop
08-25-2005, 12:42 AM
Is anyone else reading the headlights as eyes in some images? I don't know if it's the lights' close proximity to the mouth, the distance of the real eyes from the mouth, or a combination of both.

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/images/a-c/carsprev18.jpg

Some of the camera angles don't help either, as shown in the image I've posted.

I'm sure it's not as big an issue when you see the character moving.

Ryan-B
08-25-2005, 03:19 AM
The lighting in those shots is beautiful. I'm always inspired by Pixar movies.

BillB
08-25-2005, 03:40 AM
Of all the days to be late onto CG Talk...

"Screencaps removed at Pixar's request"

:(

zukezuko
08-25-2005, 03:43 AM
who is directing it,
Brad bird or is it the nemo guy?

heney
08-25-2005, 03:52 AM
Of all the days to be late onto CG Talk...

"Screencaps removed at Pixar's request"

:(

Same here, guess we'll just have to wait for the dvd preview. Oh and John Lasseter Director and Creator of Toy Story and Bug's Life is directing Cars, not Bird, Stanton, or Docter.

Sean MacNeil
08-25-2005, 04:24 AM
I really like the look and feel of those pics that were up...too bad that they had to be removed.
If Lasseter is at the helm, it should be amazing!

PhantomDesign
08-25-2005, 06:30 AM
Dissapointing that the screens were removed, but completly understandable. It's nice to hear other's positive feedback though.

Remi
08-25-2005, 06:52 AM
Looks great...if I remember correctly Disney did a cartoon a while back that had a little street rod car(Yellow) that had it's eyes in the windshields. Looked good then....hope it looks good now. Wet Cement did autobgood and looked good IMO....pretty cool stuff.

jason-slab
08-25-2005, 06:52 AM
ok so who has them in their browser history? cause i'd really like to see em anyway:)

thematt
08-25-2005, 07:40 AM
I don't see anything on that link..?????

zukezuko
08-25-2005, 08:06 AM
and there is nothing out there
just tried all the picture search engines
nothing...strange

BigErn
08-25-2005, 08:10 AM
I don't see anything on that link..?????

Screencaps removed at Pixar's request. :(

ReBootedOne
08-25-2005, 01:16 PM
Maaaaan, I'm a Pixar junkie and I need my fix! I really wanna see those pictures!!

And being the Pixar junkie I am, I am totally confident in "Cars," although I must confess I had a weak moment when I saw the preview the very first time in front of the Incredibles....
Of course, by my fourth viewing of "Incredibles" in theaters, that preview was looking much nicer. :D

In my opinion, I love the eyes on the windshield thing, it's totally different, and so insanely expressive. Major props to Pixaaaaah.

On a side note, did anyone see the previews for "Kronk's New Groove," "Leeroy and Stitch," and "The Emperor's New School" at the bottom of the page? :curious: :argh:

-eric

FloydBishop
08-25-2005, 01:44 PM
Not Pixar cars, but here is some art from Ward Kimball (If you don't know who that is, shame on you!) that was posted to Cartoon Brew a while back:

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/archives/kimballcars.jpg

It would be nice to see flexibility like this in "Cars". When I think of an automobile, I think of a big metal box with wheels. It will be interesting to see just how much squash and stretch they are able to achieve in this one. The faces seem pretty flexible so far, and that's a good thing.

Here's the link to Jerry Beck's post on November 21st 2004 that went with this image:

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/archives/2004_11.html

(It's down the page a bit)

ReBootedOne
08-25-2005, 07:41 PM
That would be awesome to see the characters with that flexible of a rig.....

I had forgotten Ward did that thing with the car... I've actually seen that before.....

-eric

H2
08-25-2005, 11:35 PM
Yeah, it reminds of those PBS shows... the one with the train and the one with the helicopter. Wasn't George Carlin in those shows?

Budgie the little Helicopter? Thomas tank engine?... Dont ask how i kno..

Joe Sandstrom
08-26-2005, 06:51 AM
Looks great...if I remember correctly Disney did a cartoon a while back that had a little street rod car that had it's eyes in the windshields. Looked good then....hope it looks good now.

Remi: You remember correctly. The short is called "Susie the Little Blue Coupe" and was released in 1952. It was written by Bill Peet and is still one of my favorites!

http://www.bcdb.com/cartoon/4131-Susie_the_Little_Blue_Coupe.html

You can actually find it on "The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad" DVD as an Easter Egg by winning the trivia game. Apparently it's also on Herbie "The Love Bug" Special Edition DVD as an extra.

gabe28
08-28-2005, 12:58 PM
Errrr... I don't know. I'm trying to keep an openmind but I just don't think this movie is going to be for me. No tragedy though, I don't feel compelled to love every Pixar movie. Like for instance, I didn't really care for Bug's Life but I still got Pixar love. I'm sure cars will be technically brilliant as usual for Pixar... it's just the premise that doesn't interest me what so ever. Hopefully Pixar will prove me wrong. I'm not even sure what they should do now anyway. Incredibles was by far my favorite thing they've ever done but I guess it didn't make them nearly as much money as their other movies did. I guess they'll have to keep making these cute movies that are more for kids. I'm not saying that's a bad thing... I just really liked the direction they were going with Incredibles. I guess when you're a "One movie every two years" company it's pretty important every movie make a lot of money.

jussing
08-28-2005, 01:58 PM
I like the look of this too, and can't believe how bad buzz it's getting...

And what's with the headlights-nonsense? How is it more "right" to have the eyes in the headlights than in the windshield? Because it's been done before, so all must do it like that? Or because real cars have real eyes in the headlights? Pffft.

I agree it doesn't look like Toy Story 2-standards tho, but really, it's too soon to tell.

I love how the cars are animated to be really alive (the two sidekick types, that is - not the racecars). Pixar really leads the race (no pun intended) in that field.

Cheers everyone,
- Jonas

My Fault
08-28-2005, 07:32 PM
It is funny, people who I talk to who are animators or students studying animation seem not sure of cars buty almost everyone i speak to who aren't (i.e. regular folk) are extremely excited about this movie. I especially think this is going to be big for parents of younger boys. Pretty much all of my nephews under 10 are crazy in to cars and trucks so this movie will be gigantic with them (and obviously the parents who are buying the tickets LOL)..

DJ_
08-28-2005, 09:11 PM
Try not to call me stuped, but where did you find the preview??? The only thing I found on that link was links to amazon, no images or preview movies... eh... help!

FloydBishop
08-28-2005, 10:40 PM
And what's with the headlights-nonsense? How is it more "right" to have the eyes in the headlights than in the windshield? Because it's been done before, so all must do it like that? Or because real cars have real eyes in the headlights? Pffft.

I don't know that it's more "right" to put the eyes in the lights, but because of the location of headlights, if you put the mouth on the grill, then the headlights start to look like eyes. I think that's why in the "Little Blue Coupe" short from Disney, the headlights were downplayed as much as possible in the character design.

http://www2.pos.to/~kono/html/0506-5.jpg

RocketBoy
08-28-2005, 11:20 PM
It is funny, people who I talk to who are animators or students studying animation seem not sure of cars buty almost everyone i speak to who aren't (i.e. regular folk) are extremely excited about this movie. I especially think this is going to be big for parents of younger boys.

I find it funny that my experience has been the exact opposite of this. I have found far more people excited about it here and on other 3D forums than I have in the non-3D, "real world." I went to see Incredibles with a bunch of "regular folk" friends whose response to the trailer was that they thought it looked like pre-school crap. They all loved Incredibles, however. Sure, everybody might be proven wrong later, but for now, all we have to go on is that first trailer until they wide-release another one.

My Fault
08-28-2005, 11:22 PM
I find it funny that my experience has been the exact opposite of this. I have found far more people excited about it here and on other 3D forums than I have in the non-3D, "real world." I went to see Incredibles with a bunch of "regular folk" friends whose response to the trailer was that they thought it looked like pre-school crap. They all loved Incredibles, however. Sure, everybody might be proven wrong later, but for now, all we have to go on is that first trailer until they wide-release another one.

Well that means between you and I we have all the bases covered. :)

I am sure once the pr machine starts cutting loose this movie should make a decent chunk of change. I know at the very least my family will be thre, probably many, many times.

Smartypants
08-28-2005, 11:56 PM
Oh, I think PLENTY of people are curious to see it. I don't think everyone has bought into the premise, but loads of people have their eye on what Pixar does.

Not to sound negative, but I think a lot of people are waiting to see when (and if) Pixar stumbles. "Will this be Pixar's first flop?" I think that regardless of what the movie is about, people are interested in it simply because it's being done by Pixar.

I mean, we're all reading this thread, right?

RocketBoy
08-29-2005, 12:25 AM
Well that means between you and I we have all the bases covered.
My point exactly.

BillB
08-29-2005, 01:00 AM
And keep in mind Pixar don't generally use footage from the film in the teaser, so we can't judge the film on that. I was really sceptical about Nemo at first, and look how that turned out. I've learned to hold my crit until I've seen the thing.

June next year - arghhh! Can't wait until they're popping out one a year.

gabe28
08-29-2005, 01:26 AM
I was really sceptical about Nemo at first, and look how that turned out.

I was skeptical about Nemo too.... and to tell the truth, I was disappointed with it. It was wonderfully done but I really felt like it was for a younger audience. Same thing with Bug's Life. My fave by far was The Incredibles but obviously that's not where the real money is so I doubt Pixar will go down that path again. Too bad but I don't think there's a big enough market for the types of movies I really want Pixar to do.

mangolass
08-29-2005, 04:28 AM
I agree on wanting to see more Brad Bird films from Pixar ~ and soon!

On the headlight thing, you know that race~cars don't have headlights ~ most NASCAR vehicles have stickers that look like headlights but there aren't any lights there.

LT

vicky_1
08-29-2005, 07:21 AM
Originally Posted by Smartypants
I think that regardless of what the movie is about, people are interested in it simply because it's being done by Pixar.
I agree there. Its hard to find monopoly in creativity! Thats a good thing.

Shrek and Ice Age just made the point that there is room for animator's love for all who deserve.

I just hope that all this pressure of high expectation doesn't stifle the original motive - of entertaining and being entertained!

SamChen
08-29-2005, 08:42 AM
I too have been lukewarm in year's past by Pixar trailers: (A Bug's Life, Nemo, and even The Incredibles) but they have batted 1000 as far as I'm concern. Maybe their strategy has always been to set realistic expectations thru their teasers, and over-deliver on the end product. I doubt that Cars will be any different. It's well publicized that the film went thru a funk phase and everyone was concerned.. but so did Toy Story 1 as we now find out (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=270099), along with Toy Story 2's initial direct-to-video storyline. I know Monsters Inc also went thru a long rewrite phase so perhaps the best thing that could've happened to Cars was all the concerns that came out of their first trailer.

For myself, after seeing these stills, lots of things clicked for me that didn't when I watched the trailer. Perhaps it was the believable worlds that these characters have been placed in, or the ensemble of car characters that were revealed in these images. Anyways, I think they'll still be batting 1000 come next May/June.

Kaszub
08-29-2005, 11:41 AM
My fave by far was The Incredibles but obviously that's not where the real money is so I doubt Pixar will go down that path again. Too bad but I don't think there's a big enough market for the types of movies I really want Pixar to do.

That's strange... I thought that The Incredibles was the second highest grossing Pixar's movie so far. Not too bad in terms of "real money" ;)

As for "Cars" - I really like those environments :) Can't wait to see that preview in action!

gabe28
08-29-2005, 12:49 PM
That's strange... I thought that The Incredibles was the second highest grossing Pixar's movie so far. Not too bad in terms of "real money"

Did it make that much money? I was under the impression that it didn't do as well as the other films. Maybe I'm mixing up the box office sales with the DVD sales. Well, at any rate, I'm really happy to hear that. I was pretty upset to think that a movie like the Incredibles didn't do too well.... The Iron Giant all over again....

Kaszub
08-29-2005, 02:14 PM
Did it make that much money? I was under the impression that it didn't do as well as the other films. Maybe I'm mixing up the box office sales with the DVD sales. Well, at any rate, I'm really happy to hear that. I was pretty upset to think that a movie like the Incredibles didn't do too well.... The Iron Giant all over again....

Yep... Weaker than expected DVD sales may be a source of your confussion :) Check boxoffice results - over 261 mln $ domestic and 631 mln $ worldwide. Only Shrek 2 and Finding Nemo were more successful in global boxoffice (talking about CGI animated flicks only). So now it is very hard to say if Cars will be able to reach that boxoffice level - not so easy: recent big CG animated titles like Sharktale, Robots, Polar Express and even Madagascar didn't get even close to The Incredibles result.
Cars probably will be (more or less) financial success, but I just hope it will be also at least what it looks like now: warm, sweet, wise, beautifuly executed, touching children friendly story - something as charming and timeless as Monsters Inc. is :) And I have no doubt that someone in Pixar's kitchen (maybe Brad, maybe someone else) is cooking someting more spicey for us again. It's good to have a break from candies sometimes...

Smartypants
08-29-2005, 03:49 PM
I think it's interesting that people pay so much attention to box office performance these days. While box office take is important, it doesn't necessarily indicate if the film is any good, or if you'll like it. Let's compare the movie White Chicks (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0381707/) with the movie Finding Neverland (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0308644/), for example. White Chicks, a comedy in which Shawn and Keenen Ivory Wayans dress up as white women (but still seem to act like black men), made $70,831,760 at the box office domestically (according to Box Office Mojo (http://www.boxofficemojo.com).) Finding Neverland, an Oscar-nominated film starring Johnny Depp in the role of J.M. Barrie, the writer of Peter Pan, scored only $51,680,613 domestically.

Does this mean that White Chicks is better than Finding Neverland? Absolutely not. Finding Neverland was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Picture last year.

But even more importantly than that, does it mean you'll like the film? Absolutely not! There's no accounting for taste....

What does all of this have to do with this thread? Well, I think Pixar's main goal is NOT box office. Sure, they're a business like everyone else. But I think they're mainly interested in making good films. They seem to believe that the money will follow. But history proves that it doesn't, always. Iron Giant is a great example of that. It's an excellent film that did poorly at the box office.

Kaszub
08-29-2005, 04:10 PM
What does all of this have to do with this thread? Well, I think Pixar's main goal is NOT box office. Sure, they're a business like everyone else. But I think they're mainly interested in making good films. They seem to believe that the money will follow. But history proves that it doesn't, always. Iron Giant is a great example of that. It's an excellent film that did poorly at the box office.

Well... That's the point of talking about box office results. We want our beloved or highly aticipated films to do good in boxoffice just because it means to us that execs behind every big player in this industry will be happy to continue making such movies. Unfortunatelly without lots of money there is no way to make such as expensive movies as those created by Pixar, Disney, Dreamworks, BlueSky etc., etc. So let's hope they won't bomb anytime soon. Sad but true... Animated films are much more expensive than those good and inspiring but still quite modest in terms of production costs life action films - they just can't bring less money than they cost and still being considered as success (from execs point of view)!

Smartypants
08-29-2005, 05:15 PM
Well... That's the point of talking about box office results. We want our beloved or highly aticipated films to do good in boxoffice just because it means to us that execs behind every big player in this industry will be happy to continue making such movies. Unfortunatelly without lots of money there is no way to make such as expensive movies as those created by Pixar, Disney, Dreamworks, BlueSky etc., etc. So let's hope they won't bomb anytime soon. Sad but true... Animated films are much more expensive than those good and inspiring but still quite modest in terms of production costs life action films - they just can't bring less money than they cost and still being considered as success (from execs point of view)!

This is VERY true. I wish more good movies did better. I also wish that studios would take a risk once in awhile, instead of making remakes of old tv shows and movies, and ruining perfectly good comic books (with a few exceptions, such as Sin City.)

Instead, heaven forbid we take a risk! So let's re-make The Manchurian Candidate or The Poseidon Adventure. They were good movies the first time around, why not see if we can rake in some more cash by re-making them?

Gak. Makes me sick. One advantage that Pixar has is that they have creative control over the movies they make. And so far, that model has proved to work.

jussing
08-29-2005, 05:53 PM
Well, I think Pixar's main goal is NOT box office. Sure, they're a business like everyone else. But I think they're mainly interested in making good films.
All respect for Pixar, I think they are such a big corporation now, their primary goal has to be box office. They just happen to be better at following the "story and character means all" mantra than other studios.

Cheers,
- Jonas

studiomaxer3d
08-29-2005, 07:51 PM
For the guys that run the company all that matters is MONEY. As for the artists - they are concerned with the quality of the film.. but if the ""MaN" says, 'make this crappy movie because we think its gonna make millions' ,they have no choice, unless they want to walk. Eventually a bad idea is gonna come up.. and a bad idea will be turned into a film. It will happen....all we can do is wait. maybe cars is the bad idea?

Shaderhacker
08-29-2005, 08:28 PM
For the guys that run the company all that matters is MONEY. As for the artists - they are concerned with the quality of the film.. but if the ""MaN" says, 'make this crappy movie because we think its gonna make millions' ,they have no choice, unless they want to walk. Eventually a bad idea is gonna come up.. and a bad idea will be turned into a film. It will happen....all we can do is wait. maybe cars is the bad idea?

Agreed. And good ideas can also get canned - as I've seen recently.

-M

mangolass
08-29-2005, 08:42 PM
The thing people forget is that it doesn't matter if the story is "about" toys or cars or rats or space aliens or paper clips or whatever, if there is a great story. People watch the teaser and think "do I want to see another movie about super heros" or another movie about bugs or whatever, then you see the movie, and you're like "oh, there's a story!" and you forget about all that. If they don't give away the whole story in the teaser that doesn't mean there isn't a plot, it just means they haven't given it all away in spoilers before the film comes out.

LT

FloydBishop
08-29-2005, 09:44 PM
I think the best trailer for a Pixar film so far has been the one with Mike and Sulley where they come out of the bedroom closet and do a little back and forth conversation. It wasn't a clip from the film, but set up the relationship of the two main characters, told you a bit of what the film was about, and fit the mood of the movie.

Most trailers either give too much away, trick you into thinking one movie is going to be like a different one, or they just fall back on cliches ("In a world..."). The worst trailers do all three!

Bentagon
08-29-2005, 10:22 PM
Yeah! Isn't it funny that there's lots of complaining at these forums about trailers giving too much away, while there's also concern about a film because it might have not given enough away?

I definitly second the Monsters Inc. trailer comment. That one was great. All MI trailers were great!

- Benjamin

ReBootedOne
08-29-2005, 10:37 PM
The worst trailer in recent history HAD to be the initial teaser for 'Madagascar.' :D

The first one was all like: "Let's go to the wild! Let's escape!" and people thought it was a movie about animals wanting to escape the zoo.

Then the 'real' trailers come out and suddenly we discover it's actually about spoiled animals wanting to get BACK to the zoo. :)

-eric

BillB
08-30-2005, 12:01 AM
For the guys that run the company all that matters is MONEY. Who would that be at Pixar? Jobs? Lasseter?
Guess it depends on what you mean by "runs the company". There's the guys who balance the books and talk to the shareholders, and there's the guys like Lasseter and Jobs who chose stories and decide future direction of the company. I'm guessing at Pixar (unlike many studios) those are two very different roles. It's one of the reasons they do so well.
I'm no blind Pixar fanboy, but I do admire the artistic integrity that they seem to exude. You get the impression they tell the stories they want to tell the way they think is best, and that just happens to make them money.

Terrell
08-30-2005, 08:04 AM

That was once said about Disney. Pixar will hit a wall sooner or later, where whatever they churn out will be mediocre or just plain bad. Disney's had a number of runs like Pixar is having. But it doesn't last forever. Never does.

This looks like the first bad stuff they've turned out, and I think it will be the first disappointing film financially, from what I've seen.

vicky_1
08-30-2005, 10:29 AM
If that happens, we aren't talking about a bubble burst here. It will be painful to watch. Like in the case of disney.
But life goes on and the will be another new kid on the block...
I hope so!:sad:

FloydBishop
08-30-2005, 02:56 PM
This looks like the first bad stuff they've turned out, and I think it will be the first disappointing film financially, from what I've seen.

To quote someone with TONS of animation experience, who has actually seen the film:

So much talk about Pixar's first flop.

Are we really that intimidated by Pixar Animation Studios that we can't wait for them to fail? Sure, they're only human, but they're damn good.

How about a little respect for their late head of story, Joe Ranft. And, I might add -- a movie that none of you have even seen.

My Fault
08-30-2005, 03:06 PM
Dang straight Floyd, when Floyd talks (in this case not our own Floyd Bishop but story demi-god Floyd Norman) people really should listen.

tatiana
08-30-2005, 09:00 PM
It is funny, people who I talk to who are animators or students studying animation seem not sure of cars buty almost everyone i speak to who aren't (i.e. regular folk) are extremely excited about this movie. I especially think this is going to be big for parents of younger boys. Pretty much all of my nephews under 10 are crazy in to cars and trucks so this movie will be gigantic with them (and obviously the parents who are buying the tickets LOL)..

heh, well all I can say is that of my "regular folk" friends who have younger girls...the girls aren't at all interested in a movie that's all about Cars. Personally, that subject is not something I'm interested in either, even though I really like Pixar movies.

The Disney style guide that's provided for the Cars license does give quite a bit of the plot away...it helps to get some insight into the characters and the story when you're creating toys and so on. I will say that it makes the movie sound much more interesting than what I saw in the trailers. ;)

t

Les t
09-01-2005, 02:07 AM
If someone was quick enough, and lucky enough, to get a copy of the cars images, would you be willing to e-mail them to me? Personal message me for e-mail address. I am a fan of pixar, as is everyone else, and really want to see the images.

Thanks in advance.

FloydBishop
09-01-2005, 01:31 PM
You can get a copy of the teaser trailer the images are from on the "Toy Story 10th Anniversary Edition" DVD set next week. It comes out on September 6th here in the states.

Like most other DVDs, you can also order it online.

pearson
09-01-2005, 09:27 PM
About the discussion about the eye placement, I did a little mock up. I think the Pixar way is a lot more expressive, and easier to read, but either way could work, as we've seen with the chevron cars.

As for Pixar quality going down hill at some point, yes it will. But it won't until there is a significant change of key personel, where the people coming in won't have the same sense/values/methodology as the current people do. Hopefully the recent death of that story guy isn't the start.

vicky_1
09-08-2005, 06:11 AM
pearson

Thats a nice mock up. The headlight eyes make the car feminine (IMO)! And also gives it more sexy look, while the original maintains the cuteness quotient.

Will be interesting to see how ur version develops as a character...

ThomasMahler
09-08-2005, 07:20 AM
Anyone remembers the Super Nintendo Game "Stunt Race FX"? I always loved the design of those cars and they had their eyes in the headlights - Also, the design looks super Pixar'ish. Before any screenies were released, I always thought that Pixar would go for a similar style.

For those who don't know this game, I just uploaded some scans:

http://members.chello.at/mahlerism/wildtracks_05.jpg

http://members.chello.at/mahlerism/11.jpg

http://members.chello.at/mahlerism/Bike.jpg

What ya say? I really love the design of those cars, I think they're extremely expressive, animation would have been so much fun with them. And - as you can see - headlight eyes. Doesn't read well? I don't think so.

tatiana
09-08-2005, 06:37 PM
Anyone remembers the Super Nintendo Game "Stunt Race FX"? I always loved the design of those cars and they had their eyes in the headlights - Also, the design looks super Pixar'ish. Before any screenies were released, I always thought that Pixar would go for a similar style....
What ya say? I really love the design of those cars, I think they're extremely expressive, animation would have been so much fun with them. And - as you can see - headlight eyes. Doesn't read well? I don't think so.

From the trailers I've seen for Pixar's Cars, it doesn't look like there are any people involved...which makes more design sense for placing the eyes of the vehicle on the window I think...these cars don't need a driver.

Whenever you see the headlights as eyes, seems you'd still have room for someone else, some other "person" to do the driving. Just my opinion. :)

CGTalk Moderation
09-08-2005, 06:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.