PDA

View Full Version : brazil or finalrender?

tAstyBITs
11-03-2002, 10:56 PM
I'm wondering if anybody has any links to reviews comparing finalrender 1.4 to brazil 1.0.

I'm looking to find any speed tests between the two.

JuRrAsStOiL
11-03-2002, 11:19 PM
if you don't need it RIGHT NOW,
you should wait for finalRender Stage-1
otherwise... finalRender stage-0

Russo
11-11-2002, 06:06 PM
Final Render Rulez over 'em all

Ian Jones
11-12-2002, 12:14 AM
haha, look where Russo lives. Traitor! haha. :D

I like Brazil, but I can't compare cos I've never tried FinalRedneck. Oops, I mean FinalRender.

ThirdEye
11-12-2002, 01:06 AM
Brazil has a better quality and a better raytracer, finalRender is many times faster than Brazil.

Russo
11-12-2002, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by Ian Jones
haha, look where Russo lives. Traitor! haha. :D

I like Brazil, but I can't compare cos I've never tried FinalRedneck. Oops, I mean FinalRender.

hahahahahhaahahah

ilasolomon
11-12-2002, 09:04 AM
VRay

Russo
11-12-2002, 05:13 PM
But Ila, if we need a fast and powerfull renderer? Final Render doesn't match?;)

dew_back
11-12-2002, 07:58 PM
Hi, mind if I highjack this thread?

Okay then.

I've been considering one of three renderers also, and I think that you should consider more than just speed. I've tested Brazil v .4.xx or whatever, and I am not impressed. In order to get an image close to the quality of MAX's built in LightTracer, Brazil tool just as long, or longer. However this WAS just the beta and I've heard that it's much faster now.

I've tried the Vray demo, and I'm impressed at the speed and quality of the renders, but the usability is less than impressive. Setting up material (at least for the uninitiated (sp?)) is not terribly intuitive, and take a LOT of tweeking to get just the right look. That is one of the reason I would consider Brazil, for the preset textures. Again, I'm not a very experienced texture creator.

I wish there was some demo version of FinalRender to test its usability, but for the price I would sure consider it.

Sorry, I just didn't want to start another Vray, Brazil, FinalRender thread.

Thank You.

ilasolomon
11-12-2002, 11:18 PM
But Ila, if we need a fast and powerfull renderer? Final Render doesn't match?
IMO....NO! Just VRay
:beer:

Virtuoso
11-12-2002, 11:25 PM
I have Brazil and V-Ray.............Lucky me.:p

But somehow in the end I would go for V-Ray. It just would be the one if I could have just one choice.

V-Ray.............I am with Ila on this one......:beer:

mlykke
11-13-2002, 12:25 AM
I've been considering one of three renderers also, and I think that you should consider more than just speed. I've tested Brazil v .4.xx or whatever, and I am not impressed. In order to get an image close to the quality of MAX's built in LightTracer, Brazil tool just as long, or longer. However this WAS just the beta and I've heard that it's much faster now.

First of all.. the pub test 0.4.xx is far far away from being the same as the full 1.0. Mainly because the pub test is a test and NOT a beta, meaning that not all features are in.

0.4.xx beta has never been public released, only the pub test.

dew_back
11-13-2002, 12:53 AM
First of all.. the pub test 0.4.xx is far far away from being the same as the full 1.0. Mainly because the pub test is a test and NOT a beta, meaning that not all features are in.

Sorry, I just meant that I understand that it is not the full, complete version, so I really have no way of fairly comparing the speed and user friendliness of the three renderers. Though from what I've seen and read the full version appears pretty powerfull and intuitive.

I have Brazil and V-Ray.............Lucky me. But somehow in the end I would go for V-Ray. It just would be the one if I could have just one choice.

For those about to rock...Why?

beatoperator
11-13-2002, 07:18 PM
I had lots of problems with FR. it is so unstable that I thought Windows98 is the most stable program I tried. :) :)
Although, I must admit it is good. And fast.
Brazil is much stable application (I was lucky too try final version).
I saw (never used) VRAY. My friend was satisfied.

I think u must somehow try all of these, to see what's good for ya.

JuRrAsStOiL
11-13-2002, 07:39 PM
for me:
VRay vs. Brazil = VRay
VRay vs. fR = fR
Brazil vs. fR = :D fR

Can't wait for fR Stage-1. VRay is nice,
but fR is just more flexible and really
accurate to adjust.

jtothec
11-13-2002, 07:48 PM
We bought Brazil R/S a few months ago and have absolutely no problems with it.

It's fast, the interface is understandable, and the material shaders rock!

Haven't tried VRay (not enough time in the day to try everything!) so I can't say anything about it.

Brazil rocks for us at least.

IamRocky
11-20-2002, 07:17 AM
I like Vray~

tAstyBITs
11-20-2002, 07:35 AM
Wow I haven't checked in on this tread for over a week and people have the posting thoughts.

I bought a license of fR for my personal use cuz it was avalible I really like it. It works inside max's scan line to it was fast and it let me used some of max5 photometric stuff.

It seems to have the most features of all the renders, but I don't know all of them so I could be wrong. I was really happy with fRs volumetic light, it kicks ass. I don't know if other renders have the same thing but they are much better than max's much more control and they even emmit light. fR's raytrace engine isn't fast they really take advantage of max's scan line to get fast renders but when you use fR render engine it's takes it time.

It too bad there isn't more art work on FinalRenders web sight I think brazil appeal is the art they show, there're all nice renders. But when I got to the direct comparisons of render of the same scene I'd have to say Lightwave kicked ass and brazil and fR looked about the same.

I can't wait for stage 1 they truely have the most features of any render out there for max.

tAstyBITs
11-20-2002, 07:49 AM
One more thing I find fR very easy to use. The material import features makes it easy to work with and give alot of control over settings. Brazil crams everthing into the render dialog box which means alot of scrolling around and opening and closing menus.

I hope fR dosen't do the same thing with Stage1

tAstyBITs
11-20-2002, 08:17 AM
This is the sight I found that is haveing a render competition.

http://hdri.cgtechniques.com/%7Esibenik2/

I only looked int the Sponza Atrium. when I get more time I'll check out the rest.

mlykke
11-20-2002, 10:20 AM
[QUOTE]One more thing I find fR very easy to use. QUOTE]

Strange... the user interface in fR must be one of the things that most people said they didn't like. Me included. And as far as I could tell from the stage-1 videos on the trinity3d site they have changed some things for stage-1 about the userinterface.

Feature wise... I would have to say Brazil got the most, just all the psecial shaders, the new brazil lights and brazil cam and the render passes control is all features neither fR or vray has. AFAIK.

If I had no money I would go for brazil pub test or vray free. If I had a little money I would use the same plus maybe vray basic. But its most likely I would wait a few months, and try to find some money for the full Brazil. In the meantime more info on stage-1 would come, but also info on next versions of Brazil and Vray would be announced.

Yay! Good to be a 3dsmax users these days.

Khepri
11-20-2002, 05:53 PM
Brazil crams everthing into the render dialog box which means alot of scrolling around and opening and closing menus.

I think that is because it has more features, and the only way to organize it abit is to put the stuff in menus.

I believe all advanced renders/apps do it that way..

could be wrong though because I only have worked with softImage/MentalRay/Max/Brazil....

tAstyBITs
11-21-2002, 04:06 AM
fR has their own lights, it has a fisheye render that uses fR's own render engine with bucket rendering. fR has a material library. Don't know what render passes are I could find out if fR has it if I knew what it was.

I think fR has everthing Brazil has maybe even more and when stage one comes out it will definatly have the most and it 500 bucks cheaper.

Vray renders from what I've seen from the web sight I posted in a earlier post looks dam good to.

mlykke
11-21-2002, 01:34 PM
From the Brazil features gallery:

http://www.splutterfish.com/sf/FeatureGalleries/blightVP.gif

As you can see blights are not like the default lights. They actually help you get a better and faster workflow.

And its not just a material library... its psecial shaders. There is a difference. :) Check the Splutterfish site for more info.

Render passes are not something I could discribe shortly here. It got alot of options and possibilities. But you can se a few examples here:

http://www.splutterfish.com/sf/sf_gen_page.php3?page=FeatureGalleries/components

Don't you think the guys at Splutterfish are working on the next version of Brazil? So when stage-1 comes out then there might be a new brazil and a new vray. And its not like stage-1 will be a 100% finished render. There will alway be room for improvement and new features. Liker in every render.

And ofcause fR has something Brazil doesn't, and Vray has something Mental Ray doesn't.... But saying fR has everything Brazil has is just not true. No render got everything.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.