PDA

View Full Version : Exporting from Motionbuilder

noamabta
08-24-2005, 07:54 AM
Hello there
I hope someone can help me with this one because im really confused.
The usual pipeline Ive seen people explain about is that you build a character and bind a skeleton to it in any 3d aplication (Maya in my case), then you export to Motionbuilder, animate, and export back the animation (only the animation!!!) back to the 3d application.

BUT since motionbuilder has such great tools such as lights, cameras and the amazing story tool. I was wondering if there is a way to export the whole scene (with lights and cameras and props - basicly everything) to maya, or at least render it directly from Motionbulder Using an external rendering engine like mentalray.

If not than why did they bother to create the story tool and other special features that cant be exported?

Thank you all
Noam Abta

Anssi
08-24-2005, 10:02 AM
Hi,
to start with... .fbx supports:
"all major NURBS and polygon surface types, keyframe and mocap animation, shapes and morph targets, materials and textures, lights, cameras, hierarchical information and character animation data including IK, envelopes and deformations."

...so that is the information you can exchange between MB and whatever 3d package
you are using. Then you can use a renderer you prefer. Obviously lights and cameras in MAX or Maya have a lot more parameters than the ones in MB, so some of that information in not included in .fbx. But there are some things made so easy to do in MB that is worth switching between two softwares.

You can export the animation made story, but
you have to plot to characters skeleton first...
or plot whatever animated properties to keyframes
on a base layer.

I see MB more as animation software than rendering software.
...thoug has a powerfull real-time rendering engine and you can render
clips to videos amizingly fast.

That is just few ideas, now back to work!-)

A

noamabta
08-25-2005, 06:55 AM
Hi,
to start with... .fbx supports:
"all major NURBS and polygon surface types, keyframe and mocap animation, shapes and morph targets, materials and textures, lights, cameras, hierarchical information and character animation data including IK, envelopes and deformations."

...so that is the information you can exchange between MB and whatever 3d package
you are using. Then you can use a renderer you prefer. Obviously lights and cameras in MAX or Maya have a lot more parameters than the ones in MB, so some of that information in not included in .fbx. But there are some things made so easy to do in MB that is worth switching between two softwares.

You can export the animation made story, but
you have to plot to characters skeleton first...
or plot whatever animated properties to keyframes
on a base layer.

I see MB more as animation software than rendering software.
...thoug has a powerfull real-time rendering engine and you can render
clips to videos amizingly fast.

That is just few ideas, now back to work!-)

A

Thank you Anssy your answer was very helpful.
by the way There Is one thing that doesnt go from MB to Maya and that is the camera switcher. but you can bring the cameras and lighting.

All The Best
Noam Abta

CGTalk Moderation
08-25-2005, 06:55 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.