PDA

View Full Version : Demonic Executions

KielFiggins
08-24-2005, 06:50 AM
Upon leaving TKO Software, I was able to clear these animation to show publicly. These are contextual Death Animations between two of the hero characters of different factions of the game, Heaven Vs Hell. I also threw in some of my prefered cycle sets. Enjoy.

Additional thanks to Chris Adams (http://www.csa3d.com) for the amazing setup, Adam Schuman (http://www.one-lung.com) and Hector Marquez for the great models, Justin Albers (http://www.justinalbers.com) for the killer concept art and the rest of the TKO Dallas HvH team.

http://sato.asap.um.maine.edu/%7Efigginsk/kiel/CDA3.gifhttp://www.3dfiggins.com/scrap/MCDA3.gif
Contextual Death 3 (http://www.3dfiggins.com/gallery.php?id=40&item=102#102) :2mb:

http://www.3dfiggins.com/scrap/MCDA2.gif
Contextual Death 2 (http://www.3dfiggins.com/gallery.php?id=40&item=101#101) :1mb:

http://www.3dfiggins.com/scrap/MCDA1.gif
Contextual Death 1 (http://www.3dfiggins.com/gallery.php?id=40&item=100#100) :2mb:

http://www.3dfiggins.com/scrap/MSati.gif
Heaven Sati Cycles (http://www.3dfiggins.com/gallery.php?id=40&item=99#99) :3mb:

http://www.3dfiggins.com/scrap/Mtemplar.gif
Heaven Templar Cycles (http://www.3dfiggins.com/gallery.php?id=40&item=92#92) :2mb:

Now onto the road ahead...

KIel

blz
08-24-2005, 09:20 AM
wow,awesome stuff.
i love the animation, nice physics
keep up the good work.

R-B
08-24-2005, 10:42 AM
awesome motion in the demon vs angel scenes...would love to see it textured and some blood splattering fx

Hyphen
08-24-2005, 11:08 AM
wow, great stuff.

KielFiggins
08-24-2005, 09:20 PM
Glad you guys are liking the anims. The CDAs where done progressively, and as they were starting to get more complex i got more time to flush them out. CDA1 = 1 day, CDA2 = 2 days, CDA 3 = 3 days. Those days included most of the idea phase, dynamics, and all the animation. The cycles are about 1.5 days a set (a set also included a locomotion and idle), and Sati was one of the most gimbal locking characters ive ever done, trying to offset and logically move four arms and keep them from twinning is a hard task at best. Though none of it would have been possible without Christopher Adams, www.csa3d.com (http://www.csa3d.com) , for some of the most amazing character setup I've had the pleasure of working on.

rblitz7
08-25-2005, 05:51 AM
Yeah great job!:thumbsup: this kind of what I would like to create.:)

Bladestorm
08-25-2005, 05:56 AM
In Ctex Death 3 it looks like some body geometry slips through the wing as the characeter flies backwards. Other then that some perfect animating here, awesome handling of physics!

ShriekWrought
08-25-2005, 06:06 AM
ay what up kiel.........good to see some new animations from ya. I really like the death scenes. Weight, timing, anticipation and follow through look really tight on all keep it up ;)

Hyphen
08-25-2005, 08:03 AM
Glad you guys are liking the anims. The CDAs where done progressively, and as they were starting to get more complex i got more time to flush them out. CDA1 = 1 day, CDA2 = 2 days, CDA 3 = 3 days. Those days included most of the idea phase, dynamics, and all the animation. The cycles are about 1.5 days a set (a set also included a locomotion and idle), and Sati was one of the most gimbal locking characters ive ever done, trying to offset and logically move four arms and keep them from twinning is a hard task at best. Though none of it would have been possible without Christopher Adams, www.csa3d.com (http://www.csa3d.com) , for some of the most amazing character setup I've had the pleasure of working on.

i was really amazed with the movement of the 4 armed creature. it really looked fluid enough to be mocap, in my opinion anyway. i've followed your work for quite a while and i'm thoroughly impressed. (i also stole some of those rigs from your site :P)

shakii
08-25-2005, 11:51 AM
Your animation is inspiring, it is always smooth, stylistic, and dynamic. Keep up the good work, and please update us on new animations!

teflonron
08-25-2005, 11:27 PM
Cool stuff man.. can't wait to see what happens with the afro ninja stuff

HenningK
08-26-2005, 06:04 AM
Wickedly. Wish we could see em textured, but thanks for sharing what you got. Is the game going ahead without you?
I enjoyed the lyrical motion of the Sati best. Beautiful animations.
-hen

Guy In Rubber Suit
08-26-2005, 07:05 AM
Oh my god that's friggin awesome! I loved the decapitation animation most. I bet that would've been damn gory in the game. Helped that I was listening to Decapitated at the same time. :P

KielFiggins
08-28-2005, 10:39 PM
Cool, nice hearing the feedback. thanks and keep it coming.

rblitz- practice and get into games and youll get your chance for some cool animations

bladestorm- there was an on going debate during the game about the "consistancy" of the wings on the various creatures. I accepted that the legs, arms or accessories might push through them if they were "real feathers" but i can understand why it looks odd.

eric- thanks man, good hearing from you

hyphen- thanks man thats a great compliment. Enjoy those rigs, more coming soon hopefully

shakii- much appreciated, im acutually trying to break the fluidness and add more dramatic snap and such to them, more difficult then i though. Stay tuned to my site, i got a few WIPs that are coming along and some projects that should be pretty cool.

teflonron- yeah, im storyboarding and gathering up assets for Afro, i think the style of that piece is gonna be the hard part more then much else, we shall see.

HenningK- it was a preferred choice not to rendering them with their textures. Since it was an RTS the textures are very loud and bold and with that much movement and overlap I wanted the focus to remain on the motion, not the textures. The Sati seems to be a growing favorite. I have no idea what will happen to HVH, hopefully it comes out, i think it would be pretty cool.

Guy- HVH was gonna be pretty gory from start to finish, so hopefully it hits the shelves one day, gald you like the decap, music always helps

AndrewHwang
08-29-2005, 03:29 PM
Wow Kiel! Great animations, glad you posted these up havent been to your site in a while, where are you headed now after TKO? I also love the creesh wall smash as well as the bug swarm, I know you did them a while back but they still look great to me. Good luck at your new job.

Andrew

aliasfreak101
09-04-2005, 12:44 AM
all of the animations are very well timed, good work.

Lambchopo
09-04-2005, 06:06 PM
Cool work Kiel. I especially liked Heaven Sati's anims.

Twp things that caught my eye was Heaven Templar's right leg kept going through the ground on his death anim and in Contextual Death 3, when the winged character gets pushed back, the flapping of the wings was a bit odd to me.

How did you like working at THQ?

lildragon
09-04-2005, 08:24 PM
Keil, nice work man, really impressed with the fluidity and timing on the animations, stellar work! Really surprised TKO would let you go :). I would like to plug the thread especially since you're looking for work, the exposure would surely help, but can you get some mirrors setup just in case beforehand?

-lild

KielFiggins
09-04-2005, 11:51 PM
Thanks again for the added feedback.

Andrew-Working on figure out where im headin now. Gald you like the other pieces, i wanan finish a few of them up soon...

Aliasfreak- thanks man, appreaciate it.

Lampchopo- Sati is a favorite, glad you liked her. Yeah, that templar leg and foot needs to be addressed and i agree that the flapping is a bit stiff and off. I like what i had going on for CDA2, have to rework that even still. I acutually worked at TKO not THQ, but TKO was cool, really great guys and an extremely talented team.

lildragon- Glad you liked that anims man. I was a bit surprised i was let go as well, but hey, it happened. thanks for the additional help, mirror now provided.

Keep the comments coming, always more then welcome.

RicardoAriza
09-05-2005, 01:01 AM
Congrats on the top page! Keep those great animations coming.
cheers,
Ricardo

XavierG
09-05-2005, 01:18 AM
kiel,

damn! I saw these a little while ago on your site and i was impressed. You have improved a lot since last time I saw your stuff. The deaths are very inspiring and the cycles look natural and attractive. Great work! You should something soccer related ;)

clodhopper
09-05-2005, 01:28 AM
awsome stuff as usual. Good to see you on the front page. See you in Cali sooner or later!

EricLyman
09-05-2005, 03:07 AM
Wow, really great animations here! That first one with the decapitation was so good looking it was actually physically painful to watch.

nemirc
09-05-2005, 03:19 AM
I really dig the 4 arm creature. That was a wonderful animation (even if the hammers penetrate the ground when she strikes with that low blow).

SheepFactory
09-05-2005, 06:29 AM
Nice stuff Kiel , been doing death animations for 3 months at work myself so i can appreciate those even more :)

BuendiaCG
09-05-2005, 06:30 AM
your animations are just beautiful, I cant stop playing them, great job, superb:thumbsup:

Pixelcritter
09-05-2005, 07:17 AM
really amazing stuff. the only thing missing are sound effects. that would really emphasize the motions they are going through

Neox
09-05-2005, 08:56 AM
haha again someone using my Tahoro for his work, the evil plan is doing very well :deal:

:twisted:

nice work, really cool animations and tahoro with a gun, hahaha cool work!

andy_maxman
09-05-2005, 09:15 AM
Hi Kiel,
or may i call you the 'supermove maestro'...?! :thumbsup:

OT: just remembered the Supermove Animation session here....Polyninja came out with some awesome supermove.....incredibly inspiring action then.....and now being treated to some more cool supermoves by you....

that's a much deserved plug since you posted your reel here first.....loved the reel and the animation style....the mecha-claw and bug are still my favourites......and what's more cool is the kind of contribution in the form of rigged characters to the community......that's way out man....

and man....like always....how can i not sound greedy enough....more cool rigs please....;)

goodLuck for the times ahead....
cheers!
-andy

losttogether
09-05-2005, 11:41 AM
thanks for showing us your nice animation clips! hope you keep updating. good job!

Blusoul
09-05-2005, 11:44 AM
Nice work man!

The death anims are solid. I really enjoy the decapitation anim.
Keep up the good work, you'll be in a new place that apprieciates you:thumbsup: very soon!!!

kamsvag
09-05-2005, 12:29 PM
Hi!

Most of the animations you posted looks rather solid, though there are a couple of things you might wanna look a bit closer at. I'm only saying this in a constructive way, not to put you down in any way. The animations do keep a high standard.

In your first animation, where he decapitate the angel. The motion where the demon cuts his head off are way to quick in my opinion. If you give att a couple of more frames I'm sure you can make it look realistic. It just looks like you've put that part of the animation on highSpeed playback. Slow it down to give some more weight and power to the motion.

The second animation looks more solid. Though you might wanna try and give the demon a frame or two more hangtime in the last jump. Other then that it looks just fine the way it is.

I have no remarks on the thrid animation.

The 4th animation, the one with the four armed blue hammer creature. I don't feel much weight in those hammers. It's just a feeling I get... You could try to give 'em some overlapping and draging actions to add some weight.

The 5th animation with the Heaven Templar... There's some realy weird movement of the sword once it's been stuck into the ground. The movement doesn't feel conected to the movement of the Templar. Take a look at it frame by frame and you'll see what I'm talking about....

The 6th animation wich consist of a whole bunch of animations looks just fine. I have no critics on theese. The motions are more cartoony and the ogree with the club looks snappy and interesting. The only thing I would look at would be the walk-cycle... Just before the foot is about to hit the ground you could give it a bit of overlapping.

The 7th animations with the characters with the big rifles... The clip with the woman lifting the rifle looks good, just give her some overlap 'n drag on the rifle before it settles as she hits her pose. The guy is harder to tell, when I played it back it seemed to be rendered with stepped f-curves.

The last of the animations with Larry looks about right I guess, though the last pose is completly off ballance. I would have him adjust his ballance and strike a pose after the spin, but that's just my opinion again... :)

These are the most obvious things I spotted, but please don't think I'm trying to put you down. Animation is all about tweaking and reviewing to make it better... At least that's my opinion.

Cheers!

TETRAGRAMMATON
09-05-2005, 01:52 PM
Amazing works,really fluid and spectacular.:applause:

Darko11
09-05-2005, 06:13 PM
Wow great work, I really liked that decapitation. I would like to see them at a closer camera view or different perspective if you ever get the chance. Nice!

onelung
09-05-2005, 07:28 PM
ah, the mighty fig. look at you, showin off, lookin all hard. :) good work brother, it has been a pleasure, shame i won't get to make your characters anymore.... well for work atleast..... guess i need to finish up our side projects. rock on, always remember "ownership".... hahaha.
lata playa
-schu

SkyePhelps
09-06-2005, 12:31 AM
Haha... I see all the guys are stumbling across your post up here. Not to hard with the Front page now is it ;)

Anyways as Always your stuff is rocking, I hope you are having good luck finding that new job, take it easy and I'll yell at you later for some more help. :thumbsup:

Finotti
09-06-2005, 01:25 AM
Im impressed... :eek:

In particular the sword.. Really have weight sense .

Congratulations

zukezuko
09-06-2005, 01:57 AM
high quality animation
the hammer lady rocks
amazing fluidity

so in 1.5 days you made the cycles of one character,
that is very fast in my opinion,
does 1.5 half days mean 12 hours of work
or 36?

kamsvaq dude relax
your animation doesnt look that good,
how can you judge it?

pixel-challenged
09-06-2005, 02:19 AM
I'm thoroughly impressed by all the animations, especially the Heaven vs. Hell ones. Total pwnage by the devil.

One minor note: I don't quite like how the Templar slumps down to his death, in terms of the use of the sword as well as its motion. It would be much more interesting and natural if, after he put the sword into the ground, he slumped over it a bit, losing his grip over the course of a second, then falling to his end, instead of going smack into the ground after making one final (and rather awkward) swing of his sword.

toonboom
09-06-2005, 04:27 AM
Great work! Nice timing, weight, and movement

I only have a few suggestions

1)After a quick movement, you may want to add a key frame “PAST” the movement and slow-in to your final key. - Such as a swing. –I love the timing, but you need a recover.

2)On the animatics with a camera move, add a ground surface, that way the camera move does not look like the character moving….

Say hello to Adam, Hector and Justin,

Stephen

Sparty
09-06-2005, 04:58 AM
Great Job Kiel!
Good Luck in the Job hunt =)

micrypt
09-06-2005, 06:30 AM
Awsome! :eek: The head slicing ones my fav! :applause:

zuman
09-06-2005, 01:28 PM
this is great stuff, i like it

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

dcmoutinho
09-06-2005, 02:27 PM
great work man !!!:bounce:
5 stars !!!

Razorb
09-07-2005, 04:44 PM
Wow those are some of the best character actions ive seen and the follow through and secondary animation is incredible, love the head chopped off and flopping away.

Great work.

foofinu
09-07-2005, 04:50 PM
Really amazing work! Thanks for sharing. :)

Tilstrom
09-07-2005, 06:33 PM
nice work on these, good job. :)

3D-ima Green
09-07-2005, 09:03 PM
great animations there! nothing to crit really o.0

Lee3dee
09-08-2005, 02:28 AM
animations are awesome! Your secondary animation was also amazing, I liked the flipping of the hammer for the 4 armed girl character. hehe.

Question - The punch wall animation on your website, the pieces of the wall was that done using dynamics or by hand? and what app did you animate the game characters with?

Likesyrup
09-08-2005, 03:41 AM
Amazing Work Kiel. Can't wait to see more from ya.

Darktwin
09-08-2005, 05:02 AM
yeah awesome animations I really enjoyed the them all, great stuff. :)

Sneakybunny
09-08-2005, 06:18 AM
yeah i think the girl one was my favourite one too.

Really cool man

hesido
09-08-2005, 01:37 PM
Superb stuff.

Tho I'd have preferred, in the first two, that the reaper-like weapon had some weight to it, so the creature would have swinged it slower.

The animation detail is amazing, congrads.

-KDX-
09-08-2005, 03:28 PM
First off, gorgeous animations...the character animations for the templar and the 4-armed woman are especially lovely.

I have a question for Kiel:

As someone who loves animation and would like to get better at it, what would you recommend for me to get better "aside" from practice, practice, practice (because this is obvious and I am working at it constantly). In other words, are there any tips, special inside info, good books, etc you would recommend. I love your animation style and have been a fan of your work for as long as I've known about your website...so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-KDX-

michaelmueller
09-08-2005, 07:41 PM
Not bad. I'd like to see a bit more weight on them, though. The Demon character looks a bit too light in his movements. He swings that scythe like it's made of plastic. You're close. A bit more work will send them over the top.

kamsvag
09-08-2005, 09:19 PM
First off, gorgeous animations...the character animations for the templar and the 4-armed woman are especially lovely.

I have a question for Kiel:

As someone who loves animation and would like to get better at it, what would you recommend for me to get better "aside" from practice, practice, practice (because this is obvious and I am working at it constantly). In other words, are there any tips, special inside info, good books, etc you would recommend. I love your animation style and have been a fan of your work for as long as I've known about your website...so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-KDX-

I would recomend you studdy other peoples animations, and not only what doesn't work, but more important what does work. Buy Richard Williams book "The Animator's Survival Kit" and Disney's "Illusion of Life". Get a copy of zoomplayer and browse animations frame by frame, reason why I recomend zoom player iss simple, you can go back 'n forth frame by frame using the scrollwheel of your mouse to studdy what happens in an animation. This feature works best on mpeg files since they're not compressed in the same way as a divX or similar files.

Get a stopwatch and time different motions and take notes of timing and propper spacing, just to get a feel of how certain actions should be timed out to look good on screen. It's also important to act-out what you wanna animate if possible... It helps to get an understanding of how the character should move. Also, it's very important to make a character analysation before jumping into the matter of building poses and timing of the animation.

All these things I've mentioned can be studdied in the books I've mentioned. There's also a great book called "Acting for Animators", however it doesn't explain animation in the aproach of how to set keyframes and inbetweens, it focus on the acting part of animation.

Cheers!

-KDX-
09-09-2005, 02:38 PM
thanks, =) I'll download that tonight.

-KDX-

Jalbers
09-13-2005, 05:52 PM
Great work dude, meant to post on this baby much much earlier but ya already know your stuff rocks. It's definitely a shame that these probably won't ever be in a game, sure would have looked cool. Good luck in Austin man, you got this. ;)

KielFiggins
09-23-2005, 07:40 AM
Thank for the large number of responses everyone. Its much appreciated. I ended up landing a job at NCSoft (http://www.ncsoft.com) working on Tabula Rasa (http://www.playtr.com) 's Creature Team.

Pretty amazing project, really excited about it. Learning Max while im their since its their package of choice. A fun little endevour.

Also for all those wanting to see the models textures and concepts, ect
Adam Schuman - Modeler - www.one-lung.com
http://www.3dfiggins.com/djinn.jpg
Justin Albers - Concept Artist - www.justinalbers.com
http://www.justinalbers.com/concepts/hero9.jpg

http://www.justinalbers.com/concepts/sati.jpg

http://www.justinalbers.com/concepts/djin.jpg

Once again, Christopher Adams, www.csa3d.com . for the amazing setup

In response to everyone:

Jalbers- thanks man, its all good, your stuffs looking great!

michealmuller- yeah, the sci needs some weight, probably would need to snag a better prop to really get the feel for it, good point.

kdx- muybridge is a great reference, other then that, getting out of your seat and actingit out is always more then helpful. If you got stuff you want

crit on, feel free to send me a link.

hesido- yeah, the sci weight issue, definatly watching for that one again, thanks.

noonegas- thanks Sati was a really cool character.

darktwin- thanks

lucid- thank man, more to come

lee3d- i use maya for all my current anims, but im curretnly learning 3ds max, the pieces on the wall punch are roughed out dynamics, and the hammer

flip was a fun little touch i threw in as a joke that came out looking pretty sweet

3d-ima- thanks man

tirlstrom- thanks again

foo- welcome, more to come, check out my site for more www.3dfiggins.com

razorb- yeah, they gave me free reign on volience made for a fun experience

zuman - thanks

micrpt - my fav too

sparty - got the job, appreciate it

toonboom - thanks for crits, i'll look into your recovery poses, sounds solid, and the camera move was half intent for various reasons, but balid

points.

pixel chal- yeah, the timing and poses of the templar death could use some work, a revision is really necessary

zukezuko- thanks man appreciate it. I did a character set (idle, attack 1,2, death, locomotion, and usually a special) in about 15 hours, working aobut

10 hours a day.

Finotti- thanks man

Skye - send them my way when you get them done, ill try my best to crit and get them back to you.

onelung - ahh schuman, your word choice is always amusing. thanks for the post.

darko- the camera was set to show the entire anim without the cam moving and show ing the anim, not so much the camera work. Though it would be a fun

test to do some cutting or different angle. Maybe later.

tetra- thanks

blusoul- thanks man, already there

kamsvag- thanks for the indepth crit, much appreciated. Pacing was an issue in many of these due to the nature of them and how they were presented in game. Valid points though about the timing. Those hammers where odd, but heavier props would have been a plus, right there. The templar sword has been addressed a lot, ill look into fixing it. The cartoony ones where fun, glad you enjoyed. Those anims where rendered sprites and where played at 12 frames a sec on a cell phone, their more for nostailiga then real animation quality. Larry's pose is a bit odd i agree, might even be takin that one off.

losttogether- thanks, more coming.

andy- haha, glad you liked my "supermoves" more rigs might be on their way, maybe even max rigs if i get time

Neox - yeah Tahoro and guns, a good combo, thanks for providing the model, made my school life much more interesting

PixelCritter- sound effects on the way.

Buendia- thanks

Sheep Factory- Death anims are some of the best anims to do, second by attacks.

nemirc- yeah those second hammers where a pain, ahh well, a comprimise i suppose

mezza- haha, great reaction, thanks for that

cloddhopper- looks like im in Austin for now, but CA soon enough, see you when i get there

xav- bah.. soccer? nah, rather beat things up and kill them : )

RicardoAriza- thanks Ricardo, you'll get your modeling plug soon enough...

zukezuko
09-23-2005, 09:43 PM
Thanks for your info Kiel
i wish you the best in your new job.
I think its a though job to animate a character set in 15 hours
can i ask if those are the expectations of a company like NCSoft?

CGTalk Moderation
09-23-2005, 09:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.