PDA

View Full Version : Fprime and lightdomes

assistant pimp
08-24-2005, 04:52 AM
I searched but found nothing on the topic. I am using fprime 1.7 and notice that frime does not recognize lightdomes. Or is there a setting I can fool with? Also is there another way to achieve that lightdome look with regular lights? More than likely area lights I guess. But any resources you can point me too would be great.

Zarathustra
08-24-2005, 05:59 AM
Are you talking about how to activate radiosity in FPrime?

BazC
08-24-2005, 08:56 AM
I think you're getting your terminology confused, a lightdome is simply an array of ordinary lights. I think you're talking about image based illumination/HDRI? I'm sure FPrime will handle this too but you will need to use radiosity to make it work.

To create a Lightdome try the following:

Create a sphere in modeller and delete the lower half leaving you with a dome. Then select all the polys in the dome and Set>Layout Tools>Add Luxigon.
Open this object in Layout and convert your Luxigons to lights, spots are the fastest to render, no need for area lights! This will produce a soft GI like lighting but won't really look like HDRI based lighting. You can simulate this better by varying the colour and intensity of the lights in your lightdome - darker blue or grey at the top, brighter less saturated at the sides and maybe fawn cream at ground level? you could also add another light at a higher intensity to create some directional light and stronger shadows.

Hope that helps! - Baz

Freak
08-24-2005, 09:40 AM
I'm having no problems with my Lightdomes, (which are just Halfspheres with luminosity applied)
This way you apply radiosity to the luminous poly's of the sphere, and light the object.
And not use any other lighting. They are not Luxigons, as mentioned above.......... Nor do you need to use IBL with them. (although you can)

Fprime 1.5 and Prime 2.0 are working fantastically with them...
Do you mean G2 1.7?

Perhaps try something like the Spyder scene from the LW8 Content, to see a Lightdome.
work really well with Fprime (turn the standard light to zero) and watch instant GI.
Spinning Lights, or Luxigons..... or Specific Lighting rigs can give similar results...

Hope it helps.

assistant pimp
08-24-2005, 03:03 PM
Yea I think I have the terms mixed. I was trying the tutorial from newtek. Where you do the half sphere thing (but no luxigons) up the Luminosity and turn affect diffuse (and another property I forget) of the main light so it basically leaves the effect of it being disabled. When I do a f9 it looks good. But fprime it shows up as black. I will look into the other methods mentioned. I was just following the tut. But the tut does not mention fprime, I was just trying it with that. Thanks guys.

telamon
08-24-2005, 03:22 PM
fprime options > enable radiosity.

Zarathustra
08-24-2005, 03:28 PM
Well that's why I asked if you were talking about Radiosity.
Fprime doesn't recognize LW's radiosity settings. You have to turn radiosity on in FP.
Masterplugins>FPrime. There you'll find the panel to turn Radiosity on in FP.
When in doubt, check the manual.

That NT tut has you set up a light so you can see what you're doing in OGL, but that's not necessary since you're using FP. The tut I think you're talking about is pretty old, long before FP.

assistant pimp
08-24-2005, 04:04 PM
Thanks Zara, Telamon and others, thanks for being patient with me. I do search and consult the manual most of time before I post. but sometimes I dont know the right terminology to search for.

CGTalk Moderation
08-24-2005, 04:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.