PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a few good critiques:)

jjburton
02-22-2002, 07:05 PM
This is my first humanoid character I've done. I just got Lightwave last month and decided to slightly modify Dan Albans tutorial from Inside Lightwave 7 (great book, greta author). He was doing the head of a girl and I wanted to do my own characer. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated. I'm not completely decided on the body yet, so any ideas down that road would be fine with me too. Thanks.

jjburton
02-22-2002, 07:06 PM
He's gonna have hair and a gotee as soon as I figure out how to do it:).

leigh
02-22-2002, 07:38 PM
Hey there. Interesting model. Need quite a bit more work, though? (I was never a fan of Dan's stuff myself...) Cool colours - very unusual.
To make hair, why not use Saslite? It comes with Lightwave 7. Just define which surfaces you want hair on, and then add Saslite as a displacement in the object properties. Then, in order fo it to render, you have to add Saslite in the image process window as well. Have fun!

Koma
02-22-2002, 08:10 PM
cool model ,funny one .
iam looking forward to it with hair and body

sgiuoco2
02-22-2002, 09:09 PM
I like your design very much. I can already see him talking. It is also very good that you gave him such large eyes. That is something many people forget. Eyes show the most emotion. If your character has tiny eyes, then you have to create the emotion through over exagerated movements with its appendages.
The only thing that I could tell you to fix on your great model would be the eyelid area, eye brows, and upper lip.
The inner-eyelid should be touching the eye.
I don't know how you made them, but it seems like the eyelids were a last minute creation. They look smooth-shifted a couple of times and that is it. It will be tough animating with those big brows.
I don't know what your creation is so this might not even matter, but it looks like the upper lip is a little stretched out. I think it needs a little brim around the upper portion of the lip. Also the corners of the mouth could use a little tucking. But these would all just be minor changes. Sweet model though.

It is always easier to critique, but you don't know what you have until somebody tells you.

BASSit
02-22-2002, 09:31 PM
Nice work ! I like her (his ?) eyes . . . the only things that could use more details are the big brows and maybe some wrinkles on the nose.

Keep it up - wanna see more of it !!

jjburton
02-22-2002, 09:59 PM
Thanks for all the great critique.

sgiuoco2, that image is from a couple of days ago. I've played with the eye lids and stuff since then. If you, or anyone could check out this eye test animation, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

www.jjburtonstudios.com/media/test_animation/perok_eye_Test2.avi

Thanks again.

sgiuoco2
02-23-2002, 03:22 AM
Well great animation by the way and texturing. There is some stretching of the map right above the upper lip and around the trapezious muscle. That is on the side of the neck. One thing in an animation you want to ask yourself is what is your force and what is draging behind it. Look at those huge eyebrows. Feel your forhead and now raise your own brows. What do you feel? Your brows are being controled by the muscles above them (the force). When the force is acted opon, you have a drag (brows) that follow it. You might need to make and endomorph, (if using Lightwave), with the wrinkles above the brows. Now when you animate the forehead wrinkling, wait about 2 frames before you move the eyebrows up. Force and then Drag. Those brows need a lot of force to drag them upward don't they.
Also time your own blinks. Unless he is getting tired those eyelids are blinking way to slow.
One more thing. I think I still see a gap between the eye and the corner of the eyelids.
Sorry one more thing on character development, (I am writing all of this because I see so much potential in your character), how does your character listen? Does he have ears at all? Maybe he communicates with his mind, so if he does, what sends the messages to other beings like himself.
Just a little advise before you go too much further.

Thanks for letting me critique and I hope it helps. Give me some updates when you finish them.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.