PDA

View Full Version : A few questions

Zachrias
08-23-2005, 09:54 PM
Hi there!
I have a few question that a need good answers for. So let's get started!

Question One:
When can you say that you are an CG-Artist?

Do need you have to have a work, freelance, or education before you can call your self a CG-artist, or is it just enough that you have used a 3D program for a year or so (with out making any money on it)

Question Two:
Can a choose a complet differnt Artist name then my own name?
This is my biggest problem. Lets say ive made a nice picture, and i need to write who made it. And i think my name (Christopher Svensson) is a pretty boring name, and if you are going to make a home page and you will get adress similar to this "www.artofchristophersvensson.com"

Question Three: (not really a question)
I've made a good image, and people think im a 3D Guru, but im not!

When i made the picture "The one ring (http://sprite.t9.se/tor.jpg)" for a school project, almost everyone thought it was a real photo. But when i explaind how i did it, they just looked puzzled at me (I was the only one in my school who is intressed in CG) So now they say "Can't you make this and that, and when i say "Im not experinced enough to make it, they always reply "hey you made that awesome ring, if you can make that you can make everything"

Question Four:
When can a charge for the stuff i make?

If someone ask me "Can you make a nice picture for my homepage, and i pay you well for it" And i just Can't accept the cash, because im just self learnd in 3D (No education/school) and i think im not good enough to charge for the things a make!

So, when do i know when i can charge for stuff i make?

Question Five:
How can i prove that i made that picture/animation?

Let's say i make a really realistic image, and show it for someone, and they dont belevie that i made it! How can i prove it was me who actully me who did it?

That's was all the questions for now! And watch out for all the spelling error! :)

hiphopcr
08-23-2005, 10:22 PM
My first piece of advice is to think for yourself, your questions sound like a child who needs to ask his mommy for permission to do everything. Take hold of your future and call yourself an artist and charge as much as you can for work! Surviving in this industry required loads of self-promotion and you sound like you lack loads of self-confidence.

As for "how can I prove that I made that picture/animation"... oh please, you spent days on that 3D image of the ring and you can't figure out how to show your work? Wire frames!

Now, I have a question for you (and it's really the reason I'm taking the time to respond to this thread). You're not Chris Svensson (http://www.atarihq.com/cgi-bin/ji2_showmsg.pl?56849) of the Unofficial Atari Jaguar Homepage, are you?

Zachrias
08-24-2005, 06:43 AM
My first piece of advice is to think for yourself, your questions sound like a child who needs to ask his mommy for permission to do everything. Take hold of your future and call yourself an artist and charge as much as you can for work! Surviving in this industry required loads of self-promotion and you sound like you lack loads of self-confidence.

As for "how can I prove that I made that picture/animation"... oh please, you spent days on that 3D image of the ring and you can't figure out how to show your work? Wire frames!

Now, I have a question for you (and it's really the reason I'm taking the time to respond to this thread). You're not Chris Svensson (http://www.atarihq.com/cgi-bin/ji2_showmsg.pl?56849) of the Unofficial Atari Jaguar Homepage, are you?

Wow, good answer! Boost my seld-confidence, Got it! :)
No, im afriad im not that guy, thou.. I have an Atari 1040ST! Ahh That was some good days back then!

AmyScott-Murray
08-24-2005, 09:40 AM
I don't yet feel confident enough with my skills to actually set out looking for work, but (it's happened a few times) if someone I meet says 'I like that, will you do X for me, I'll pay you' then that's fine by me too. If they think that my work is worth paying for.. well, it's their money :)

And I agree with hiphopcr, self-promotion is something I'll need to get better at as my cg skills improve too.

ralphmanning
08-25-2005, 04:02 PM
When can you say that you are an CG-Artist?I'd say when you have been working with a 3d program for a while and have produced something relatively "good".

Can a choose a complet differnt Artist name then my own name?Use your own name :P but if it is a really common name, then perhaps if you have any middle names you could use those as well - OR - you could adopt a pseudonym, but use it in conjunction with your real name (Christopher 'nickname' Svensson).

When can a charge for the stuff i make?You can charge. If you have the knowledge and are able to produce results that the client is happy with, then in my opinion, it doesn't matter whether it was self-taught or gained from schooling.

How can i prove that i made that picture/animation?Wireframes, 'clay' renders with no mats, screenshots etc.

Goon
08-25-2005, 04:29 PM
Question Two:
Can a choose a complet differnt Artist name then my own name?
This is my biggest problem. Lets say ive made a nice picture, and i need to write who made it. And i think my name (Christopher Svensson) is a pretty boring name, and if you are going to make a home page and you will get adress similar to this "www.artofchristophersvensson.com"

If you really care about that, use an alias, or just make up a creative name for your site. For example, Linda Berkgvist uses "Enayla" as her online tag. Just make sure that your actual name and information is available on the site, so people tie your work to yourself

CGTalk Moderation
08-25-2005, 04:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.