PDA

View Full Version : typical texture painting workflow.

joshone
08-23-2005, 08:25 PM
i have a question about the typical method of getting properly proportioned hand painted texture into the texture editor.

after i setup all of my prjections and subprojections in xsi, am i supposed to bring a screenshot of my texture editor into photoshop? is there another/better way to do this that does not call for a 3d paint program?

JDex
08-23-2005, 08:36 PM
Load a white image the size of which you want to paint on into the texture editor (up to 2048x2048, larger may not work). With the UVs visible, Edit>Stamp UVs.

Save the file as necessary (.tga is recommended) then open the file in PS or whatever painting app you so desire.

In PS Ctrl click the layer and invert the selection... fill with black and deselect. Set the layer mode to Multiply and reduce the opacity to around 50% then lock the layer. Add a layer beneath the UV guide you've created and paint away.

joshone
08-23-2005, 09:19 PM
thanks jdex! i was hoping for something along those lines.

gooseass
08-23-2005, 11:50 PM
yes, thanks, i'm trying to get the hang of this too. much appreciated.

phonicsmonkey
08-24-2005, 10:58 AM
Yeah, and adding to what JDex said about the size of the texture map (maximum of 2048x2048) if for some reason you need it even larger for extreme closeups or something similar, just change the image size of your stamped image to the larger size you desire. The UV's will look really pixellated but once you paint your texture ontop it will actually be fine....hope that's relevant and helps some people out.

joshone
08-24-2005, 01:08 PM
...hope that's relevant and helps some people out.

you gotta believe that every little bit helps. thanks!

CGTalk Moderation
08-24-2005, 01:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.