PDA

View Full Version : Aurora_Attractor version 1 release

aurora
08-23-2005, 07:16 PM
I have finally called it good for a Version 1 release on a plugin I have been working on for a while called Aurora_Attractor. Basically Aurora_Attractor is a plugin that creates strange attractors in LightWave. What are strange attractors you ask? Well simple put they are a class of differential equations which generally have no analytical solution but does have numerical solutions. What makes them unique is that each viable solution for an attractor has successive points which orbit around one or more basins of attraction. Think of the classic demonstration of a marble circling around a bowling ball on a large rubber mat to demonstrate gravity wells.
So basically thats what Aurora_Attractor does, it draws out these attractors. There are actually two plugins right now, one for Modeler and one for Layout.
More info and on the plugins plus the downloads can be found here
Aurora_Attractor Home Page (http://www.auroragrafx.com/Software/Attr/index.shtml)

But more importantly for real information, updates and other things dealing with Aurora_Attractor as well as strange attractors and other artistic forms of chaos can be found at 3DRecursions (http://3drecursions.com/forum/index.php) .

http://www.auroragrafx.com/Software/Attr/Attr_Images/DemoMovie_1.jpg

http://www.auroragrafx.com/Software/Attr/Attr_Images/DemoMovie_2.jpg

http://www.auroragrafx.com/Software/Attr/Attr_Images/DemoMovie_3.jpg

http://www.auroragrafx.com/Software/Attr/Attr_Images/DemoMovie_4.jpg

The above images are from a short movie clip.This movie is just over a minute long and demonstrates a little of what can be done with Aurora_Attractor, both Modeler and Layout versions.
The first part is an animated attractor from Layout with only one parameter being animated. The same attractor was also created in Modeler using point polys which where then used to create the particle effects with the emitters set to emit from the vertex normal.
The second part is another single attractor with two different parameters being animated over time as the camera first moves around the attractor and then through it to show the dimensionality of attractors.
The third part is the bug genesis and was done in Layout using a single attractor with a single animated parameter. In addition the attractor used mirror symmetry and a projection to create the bug form. (A tutorial on creating the bug is coming shortly)
The next phase in bug genesis is the same attractor setup created in Modeler and rigged for animation. The ground plane is a second attractor.
The final phase of the bug genesis is the transform from the bug to yet another attractor and finally to the Aurora Attractor title. The transform was a short series of morphs which was orchestrated with TAFA (Timothy Albees Facial Animation Studio.) The path the bug transform follows is also an attractor that was created in Modeler using curves and then setup as a motion path. The title text and end credits are the only things that were not created with the Aurora_Attractor.
The whole project was render with the native LW renderer and comped in Digital Fusion.
The song is from 'More Then This' by The Cure, (LTD/BMG Music Publishing 1998).
Yes I know there are a couple of really jerky camera moves and the bug animation is weak at best but this was just a quick and dirty test demo to show some of the capabilities of Aurora_Attractor. Also note that no attractor was created with more then 10,000 iterations which is actually very, very low res for a decent attractor but provides extremely fast development and rendering. There's much, much more and better to come!

Download the clip here (right click save as)
AuroraAttractor_Demo Movie (http://www.auroragrafx.com/Software/Attr/Files/AAttractor_Demo.zip)

spellis32
08-23-2005, 07:33 PM
Very Very Impressive!It reminds me of the 80's music videos effects.. Only this looks far far better.
I'll be visiting the links soon.

WOW!

Nu Visual Science
08-23-2005, 07:36 PM
These are great.
I tried Chaoscope in the past but didn't really like it even though some of the renders are super cool.
These though are easy to use and you can get some really crazy stuff that looks great.
It doesnt take long to get something nice and a lot of variation is possible too.

Chaos theory wins for me, I just mess with this setting and then mess with that setting.
Using the chaos technique i have gotten water and stuff besides the usual abstract stuff.

I have to be honest if i'm bored this baby goes on, It lets me mess create and achieve without thinking about it at all :)

uncommongrafx
08-23-2005, 07:57 PM
Aurora,
This thing has taken SO much of my time, it's not funny! Nothing like watching the magic of math come to life.

If you are going to give this a try, save your sanity and only animate one parameter at a time: the chaos that might ensue may be more mesmerizing than you have will to pull away from.

Kudos, Aurora, this is a quality plugin. Fun with FPrime, too.

colkai
08-24-2005, 08:27 AM
Aurora.
You're not a well person, no sane person would consider this level of math fun! ;) :p
So this is "the thing" you've been up to eh? - most cool, but then, of course, look who coded it. :D :thumbsup:

T4D
08-24-2005, 10:10 AM
cool plugin must have a play with it soon :thumbsup:

Exper
08-24-2005, 10:41 AM
Very cool public release! :thumbsup:

I know how much Aurora devoted himself to this tool; the results are all there: masterpiece! :buttrock:

aurora
08-24-2005, 03:11 PM
Actually I have had this release pretty much wrapped up for a month and a half to two months. Whats been sucking my time is the next release and two other plugins I'm working on. All three have a nodal based section in it that I have been working on to make work for all my plugins as well as working on the plugins themselves. The next release of this plugin is cooler then cool. It has a bunch of new attractors (which takes billions of hours to add a couple of them thanks to the way the SDK handels xpanels, happily it all easy coding just extremmmmmllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyy repetitve.) It also includes the ultra cool and oh so important Flame class of attractors. Flame attractors you are all aware of since you have seen them time and again in movies, TV, commercials ect. I just left them out since they require a high HV count to actually look like anything and well pre-LW9 just can't do that and keep you sane at the same time.
In addition there are a few new methods for coloring the attractors. I'll have a way to make the change to the parent Null be reflected in the attractor itself without killing the calcs. Actually I have that done now but the data structure is to tied into the new stuff that I can't (OK won't) untangle it till then.
But the big daddy is the nodal based animation system I'm working on for it. Basically it will allow you to animate from one attarctor layout to another. So say I create a PolyC attractor and want it to morph into a alien (a icon attractor with symmetry and projections applied) and then into something esle. Thats what I'm spending a ton of time working on. Its a royal nightmare because it requieres vast amounts of memory to do since each attractor needs to be pre-calculated and the data stored to make it all happen. Math based transitions have so far failed miserably.

Exper
08-24-2005, 03:36 PM
Awesome features-list for the next versions! :thumbsup:

Nu Visual Science
08-24-2005, 11:46 PM
Yep defo cool stuff coming

Activator
08-25-2005, 04:59 PM
Awesome plugin. I'm happy to see that you will be porting a Mac version! Please post in this forum when it's available. :thumbsup:

jontz71
08-26-2005, 05:02 PM
is there anything like this for mac users?

aurora
08-26-2005, 05:49 PM
Thanks guys. I'll be posting a new thread at 3dRecursions next week with a next release feature list for mu and you guys to add to. Exper, you'll need to restrain yourself:D

As for a Mac version. Not yet but I do have an old machine that I'm using for something else for another couple weeks. As soon as I'm done with that stuff I'm going to dump everything off of it, reformat the drives, add on VMware and a Mac emulator so I can convert and test on a Mac platform. At least thats my plan. As for finding a free Mac emulator if anybody knows of one that will work please let me know because I don't currently know of any (of course I have yet to look for one either.)

Kid-Mesh
08-26-2005, 10:19 PM
Awesome looking plugin, cant wait to try it.

Exper
08-29-2005, 10:35 AM
Aurora... what can I say? I'll restrain! :wip:

gerardo
08-31-2005, 02:05 AM
:applause: WOW! Astonishing plugin! :applause: You have very impressive results there, Aurora! (very nice library)
Thank you very much, man! :thumbsup:

Gerardo

annaleah
08-31-2005, 02:23 AM
Wow!

Thanx!!

CGTalk Moderation
08-31-2005, 02:23 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.