PDA

View Full Version : Making import plugin for MQO?

TiKiMoN
08-23-2005, 06:37 PM
Hi MEL scripters! I was wondering if anyone out there has any experience in making import plugins for Maya, and would be interested in making or helping me with creating an import plugin that would read Metasequoia (*.mqo) files directly into Maya? I'd like it to be compatible with Maya 6.5, but I'm not sure where to even begin. If anyone would be so kind to help me out, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks for your time!

AndersEgleus
08-23-2005, 11:23 PM
metasequoia (the free version) can export to dxf, and maya can import dxf files if you load the dwgTranslator plugin.

TiKiMoN
08-24-2005, 06:50 AM
but what about UVs? doesn't dxf lose UV mapping?

AndersEgleus
08-24-2005, 09:16 AM
Perhaps, I've never used it.

An alternative (much harder) approach would be to write a mel script that reads .mqo files, which are ascii (see the maya docs->Using Maya->General->I/O And Interaction on how to open, read, write and save files) and convert the information into an .ma files which are also ascii (they are in fact mel scripts). After all it's all a bunch of lists describing vertex positions, face connectivity, UVs, dependancy graph connections and dag hierarchies. One tip is to create a simple polygonal object in maya, delete history, maybe assign a second UV set, export it as .ma and opening the .ma file in notepad to see how it's constructed. That way you'll have an interactive visual reference in maya to what you're reading. Difficult, but doable.

CGTalk Moderation
08-24-2005, 09:16 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.