PDA

View Full Version : Disney HATED Toy Story

Shade01
08-23-2005, 06:30 PM
Not sure if this is an AP story or a local one, but interesting. I tried to search but too many references to disney and toy story here so sorry if its been posted before.

"Not only did the big-money folks at Disney who bankrolled the film not understand the vision of "Toy Story,'' they hated it so much they shut down production."

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/08/23/BAGDKEBPAB1.DTL

Slurry
08-23-2005, 07:08 PM
a company that Steve Jobs started in a Richmond garage.

I thought Pixar was started by George Lucas?

When I see stuff like that in an article, I question the validity of all the "facts".

Art

mummey
08-23-2005, 07:18 PM

When I see stuff like that in an article, I question the validity of all the "facts".

Art

Actually, both are partially correct.

Wikipedia and google to the rescue!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixar#History

Slurry
08-23-2005, 07:33 PM
Sorry, I couldn't find anything that said Jobs started Pixar in a garage in the link you posted. Can you point it out to me? :)

Art

mummey
08-23-2005, 07:41 PM
Sorry, I couldn't find anything that said Jobs started Pixar in a garage in the link you posted. Can you point it out to me? :)

Art

Yeah, yeah, but its more info than your lazy butt provided. ;)

Speaking of which, here's even more info.
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~afuah/cases/case14.html

Slurry
08-23-2005, 08:18 PM
LOL

The truth does indeed hurt.

Art :)

Martin_G_3D
08-23-2005, 08:56 PM
As far as I know the production only got shut down once because of story problems, they hired a scriptdoctor in the name of Joss Whedon to fix the script. Altough he's not credited, he did a LOT of work on the script and many of the characters are his.

percydaman
08-23-2005, 09:14 PM
cool...the same guy involved with Titan AE and Firefly, among others...

Lunatique
08-24-2005, 04:51 AM
cool...the same guy involved with Titan AE and Firefly, among others...

and Buffy, Angel, Alien: Ressurection, The Simpsons, and the upcoming Serenity movie.

f97ao
08-24-2005, 07:35 AM
Yes, he is quite amazing. Firefly was very promising and Buffy was very good imho. :)
Hope to see more from him.
/Andreas

MacRonin
08-24-2005, 08:24 AM
Yes, he is quite amazing. Firefly was very promising and Buffy was very good imho. :)
Hope to see more from him.
/Andreas

Buffy the Vampire Slayer...

Mmm... Nothing like a good vampire soap opera with lesbians...!

;^p

AmbiDextrose
08-24-2005, 08:34 AM
Just imagine- he started out as a line writer for 'Roseanne'.

Polar
08-24-2005, 11:15 AM

Art

Pixar was started by Steve Jobs...but not in a garage.

AmbiDextrose
08-24-2005, 11:22 AM

That's true- Steve Jobs did start Pixar BUT the people who made up Pixar came from ILM's computer graphics division. Lucas sold this group to Jobs AFTER his ouster from Apple for a measly $10M.

mgarward
08-24-2005, 12:02 PM
As far as I know the production only got shut down once because of story problems, they hired a scriptdoctor in the name of Joss Whedon to fix the script. Altough he's not credited, he did a LOT of work on the script and many of the characters are his.
He is credited. He was co-nominated for the acadamy award for Original Screenplay for Toy Story. :) (He's also stated in an interview that the Toy Story script fix was one of the best and most fun that he's done.)

sergioKomic
08-24-2005, 12:15 PM
Yep his name is at the titles (big bad letters mind you not some mention in fine print...)

JasonA
08-24-2005, 03:19 PM
Steve Jobs (along with Stephen Wozniak) started Apple computer in his garage in the 70's while he worked for Atari, and Wozniak was at Hewlett Packard. As already mentioned he became the owner of Pixar after that division and equipment was sold by ILM in the mid '80s

chow-mein
08-24-2005, 08:42 PM
I believe Mike Eisner also hated "The Black Cauldron". I recalled asking about it's video release back in 1995 and a sales "rep" in a Disney store told me that Eisner or someone up in the hierarchy didn't want to release it because they considered the animation to be sub-standard.

Bentagon
08-24-2005, 09:19 PM
A lot of people hated the Black Cauldron. That's one of the reasons why I haven't seen it yet.

- Benjamin

pearson
08-24-2005, 10:24 PM
A lot of people hated the Black Cauldron. That's one of the reasons why I haven't seen it yet.

- Benjamin
I loved the books as a kid...never seen the movie.

greyface
08-24-2005, 10:29 PM
Ed Catmull started pixar. He is founder and president.

mangolass
08-24-2005, 10:37 PM
Ed Catmull started pixar. He is founder and president.

Co-founder (http://www.computerhistory.org/events/index.php?spkid=1&ssid=1114720561) and president, actually ~ he founded Pixar Animation Studios along with Steve Jobs who is the co-founder and CEO.

LT

Bentagon
08-24-2005, 11:09 PM
Steve Jobs didn't found the group, but did found the company. The group grew as a part of Lucas' empire, and when Jobs bought it he co-"founded" it as an independant company.

- Benjamin

JMcWilliams
08-25-2005, 12:26 AM
History of pixar video, with Ed Catmull, Alvy Ray Smith (another co-founder)etc (http://www.computerhistory.org/events/index.php?id=1114720561)

monovich
08-25-2005, 12:53 AM
so much trivia in one thread!

Lunatique
08-25-2005, 05:25 AM
History is full of cases where projects were shopped around and EVERYONE hated them and even went as far as laughing at the creators of these projects. Then a small minority of people with good taste decided to fund the projects, and they became some of the most successful/revered/critically acclaimed films, books, music albums..etc ever.

What that tells me, is that the people in charge at the top have BAD taste.

BillB
08-25-2005, 05:31 AM
History of pixar video, with Ed Catmull, Alvy Ray Smith (http://www.computerhistory.org/events/index.php?id=1114720561)
Shhh! Ixnay on the Alvy Ray!

jeremybirn
08-29-2005, 12:59 AM
Shhh! Ixnay on the Alvy Ray!

Just finally watched the video - so what's supposed to be wrong with Alvy Ray?

-jeremy

BillB
08-29-2005, 01:37 AM
Just finally watched the video - so what's supposed to be wrong with Alvy Ray?
-jeremyWasn't it Alvy Ray that Jobs got miffed with, and purged all reference to him from the Pixar web site etc? Sorry, I just read "Icon" - it was a bit of an obscure reference on my part :)

jeremybirn
08-29-2005, 02:11 AM
I never heard anything bad about Alvy Ray Smith, only references to him as one of the pioneers of computer graphics. I'm glad he was a part of the panel that got interviewed in the video.

-jeremy

Lunatique
08-29-2005, 04:19 AM
I just watched that video a couple days ago, and Brad Bird just kept cracking me up over and over. I know a lot of animators who have that same wacky and animated sense of humor. It's like they all grew up in the same family or something (or worshipped the same animations while growing up).

BillB
08-29-2005, 10:31 AM
I never heard anything bad about Alvy Ray Smith, only references to him as one of the pioneers of computer graphics. I'm glad he was a part of the panel that got interviewed in the video.
-jeremy I certainly wasn't intending to convey he's done anything bad, it was more like "shh, don't mention Alvy Ray..."
Sigh. Always sad when you have to explain a joke. Too obscure for my own good :)

splintah
08-29-2005, 11:30 AM
thanks for the link

thats such a great video

psyop63b
08-29-2005, 04:41 PM
What that tells me, is that the people in charge at the top have BAD taste.

The people in charge who decide the business end of things and care only about turning a buck, often lack vision.

moo214
08-29-2005, 10:06 PM
There are many, many elements to Pixar successes and one of them is like Andrew Stanton said "We hired people who are better then us!"
I see many supervisors who will not do this because they are afraid that person might takes food away from their mouth. I'm working for a company that does this. I'm afraid to make suggestions for fear the supervisor will think I'm going after his job. I just put in my 9 to 5 and go home and do my own project. If I own a company I would sit in on the hiring process with the supervisor and make sure I get the best and PASSIONATE person for the job. I bet you Brad Bird would never get hired at my studio. (1)The supervisor would say he is too much of a animation nerd. But deep down he is afraid and know that Brad is way too talented and his job is history if the owner know about it. (2) I noticed that they hired people who they like to hang out with and talents and skills for the job come in second.
"Hire Brad Bird? the guy talk about films all day long. No, I'm going to hire Joe Six-pack who can do a good enough job and because I can hang out with him and he like to play golf". In the end the company will never grow.

Just out of curiosity, did the moderator explained why John Lasseter wasn't part of this amazing panel?

Thanks

Terrell
08-30-2005, 08:55 AM

No, Pixar was started and founded by Lucas. He then sold it to Steve Jobs. Pixar was a name used at Lucasfilm before Lucas sold it Jobs. Ever heard of the Pixar computer. But the core of what eventually became known the Pixar we know today, what started by Lucas at Lucasfilm. End of story.

Bentagon
08-30-2005, 03:01 PM
Just out of curiosity, did the moderator explained why John Lasseter wasn't part of this amazing panel?

ThanksNo, but Lasseter was in the middle of production then. I think he just didn't have the time, as opposed to Stanton and Bird who are probably working on a slower pace in preproduction/writing.

- Benjamin

enygma
08-30-2005, 04:38 PM
No, Pixar was started and founded by Lucas. He then sold it to Steve Jobs. Pixar was a name used at Lucasfilm before Lucas sold it Jobs. Ever heard of the Pixar computer. But the core of what eventually became known the Pixar we know today, what started by Lucas at Lucasfilm. End of story.
I believe it was Lucas who created the Pixar Computer, but it is jobs who bought it and started Pixar Animation. The computer may be central to what the company was then, but it is a computer, not a company.

digital verve
08-30-2005, 05:07 PM
http://www.pixar.com/companyinfo/history/1986.html

:)

slaughters
08-30-2005, 05:52 PM
The people in charge who decide the business end of things and care only about turning a buck, often lack vision.And to be fair the people who decide the vision end of things and care only about their vision, often lack a business sense, making many employees jobless as a result.

You need both business savy and creative vision to become a success in the entertainment industry. Disney had both for many years, but have sadly lost a lot of their vision in the last decade. Pixar has both right now, and here's hoping that they continue with their success for decades to come!

Neil
08-30-2005, 09:44 PM
I thought Bill Gates started Pixar ;)
j/k

But jeesh, 10 year anniv? Has it been that long? Crazy.

CGTalk Moderation
08-30-2005, 09:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.