PDA

View Full Version : A replacement for the #$%& bend tool

assistant pimp
08-23-2005, 03:15 PM
I cannot for the life of me understand this tool. I did a search and found a few solutions but I still cant get what i am trying to do. I am trying to bend up a piece of sheet metal like it has been attacked by an animal or a harsh storm. I am thinking the only way to do it is by physically draggin verts. Any ideas or plugins recommended?

Also If I UV-map a decal on should I do it after I deform the mesh or before so the decal bends with it?

BeeVee
08-23-2005, 03:35 PM
You should map it before - if you are happy using morphs, you don't even need to use UVs you can planar map your sheet of metal and LightWave will deform the decal along with the metal itself. Rather than using the Bend tool, I would use the rotate and move tools and select the points I want to affect. Should end up taking less time... :)

B

telamon
08-23-2005, 03:39 PM
I do not understand which effect you are trying to achieve. If you could show an example that will be fine... Thoughhhhh.

Before claiming for any tool replacement, try to master them. There is a very nice tool in lightwave called numeric (n). The bend tool has plenty of falloff modes as most of LW tools. Even the stupid move/rotate/scale tools have plenty of falloff setups including killer ones such as weight maps.

Though it is a bit fussy and contains a few redundant tools, the "modifier" tab in LW is full of amazing tools (twist, taper, pole, dragnet, magnet, shear, bend...) I use them daily when modelling.

Cman
08-23-2005, 03:45 PM
Then there's plugins - like c_bend

http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=1341

"Bends an entire object or selection of points to conform to a background rail or curve. Selections for precision, scale from source or stretch and knots and length."

By the flay comment section it seems some have trouble getting it to work, but once they do they like it.

Good luck.

assistant pimp
08-23-2005, 03:53 PM
yea I agree telamon....But this is a timed project and I spent alot time on that tool already, but I will revisit it. Most of it is my inexperience. I will re-examine the mod tab as well.

Never thought of using morphs, actually never used morphs period. I will look into that. I was thinking on using the move tools and rotate to move verts but it seems LW would have put other tools in there for that.

Gracias for the insight

KillMe
08-23-2005, 04:30 PM
magnet tool is the one you want for putting a dent in something or some weightmap falloffs on the move tool for precise control

plotz
08-23-2005, 05:35 PM
Your description made me think of corugated roofing material being blown off a barn (which is what I'm working on at the moment).

If this is the case then a combination of spline guide and magnet are the ideal way to go IMO.

Here are the steps I'm taking to make a bunch of bent debris:

1. Create a thin box that's nicely subdivided.
2. In a new layer create a curve that you wan to use to shape the bend in the box. (see first pic.)
3. Apply the Spline Guide tool and set it to bend on the proper axis for the effec you need then hit the "Get Backg..." (see next pic.)
4. After you've applied the spline guide tool your object will be bent into the proper shape. (see next pic)
5. Once you've got the basic "bentness" worked out use the magnet tool to pop and pull yor dents into the piece. (see last pic)

Don't forget to make use of the falloff functions in the tools (including rotate and scale tools) to add precise bends. They're little akward to set up, but they work great.

All the debris I'm doing is going into another app for animation and rendering, but LW modeler is so easy and fast for this kind of stuff it just made sense to make my mess in it:)

plotz
08-23-2005, 05:37 PM
Last piccccc

assistant pimp
08-23-2005, 08:58 PM
yes my man plots that is exactly what I am looking to do. Kinda make the metal look mangled and chewed up....Man I love this board....sniff

Thanks for the blow by blow.

In your example or project are going to sub-d (tab) yours? Just curious because in my example I will be, so I still see alot manual editting in my future. But thats cool I love your method. Never knew about spline guide. Yet another reason why I am not jumping on the modo band wagon, I dont know squat about LW yet.

plotz
08-23-2005, 09:35 PM
In your example or project are going to sub-d (tab) yours? Just curious because in my example I will be, so I still see alot manual editting in my future.

My objects aren't going to be sub-D'd. Just straight polys...although a few of them will start out as sub-D and then be frozen after they've been bent and twisted I'm guessing.

assistant pimp
08-24-2005, 01:55 AM
Awww man I dont have the spline guide tool in modeller. ANone know where tofind it in the plugins folder so I can add it? Help files said it is supposed to be under the modify tab>>transform>>more.

assistant pimp
08-24-2005, 02:19 AM
I found it....You first image was throwing me for a second. but you actually have to have the spline in the bgrd then press get bgrd.

Darth Mole
08-24-2005, 07:40 AM
A really quick cheat is to maybe make a nice corrugated shape (easy enough) and then use the Jitter command to randomly move your points along a certain axis. Possibly.

CGTalk Moderation
08-24-2005, 07:40 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.