PDA

View Full Version : using project messiah vs LW

frank
12-13-2001, 07:26 PM
Is there anyone out there that did character animation in LW and also with project messiah?

What's better in PM and how does the pipeline work between LW and PM?

Thanks.

-F

Chewey
12-13-2001, 08:56 PM
The old version of messiah operates as a plugin that launches from within Lightwave's layout. You load in lightwave geometry in Messiah and create your animation effects and then finish the texturing and rendering back in Lightwave's layout.

The soon to be released pmg:messiah standalone of course doesn't require Lightwave. You load in models and animate, light, texture and render in pmg:messiah. I'm using the advance release (beta) of pmg:messiah and there are features that haven't been activated yet, but there are a few very nice features like "Spherize" that allows for deformation similar to what you acheive with muscle skinning effects.

Check out pmg's site for a breakdown of the feature set.

peterpro
12-14-2001, 06:59 AM
I've got a second seat of messiah studio 3.0 for sale
email me at peter@peterpro.com if interested.

frank
12-14-2001, 03:11 PM
But is the character animation and the character setup usable in LW?

Is it a lot better in PM?

Chewey
12-14-2001, 03:50 PM
Yes, Lightwave 7b is quite capable of character animation. Endomorphs and morph mixer, motion mixer, improved bones setup, weight maps and more allow for a much better set of CA tools than before. Foundation Imaging uses Lightwave 7 for character animation.

Messiah works mighty fine but the tools available are quite different so comparing the two is a bit difficult. Since pmg: messiah has yet to be released in a final rev it's too early to discuss the final feature set. It has a much more developed expressions engine than Lightwave's expressions and much easier to setup. The interactivity in Messiah is quite quick as is the ability to set up skeletons and animate. Since messiah's main focus is animation you'd expect it to have a leg up on LW's CA tools.

trevlb
12-14-2001, 04:38 PM
does LW7 or project messiah have something resembling the dope sheet in maya.

the dope sheet provides an overview of all the keyframes (it represents them as blocks) which makes it very easy to adjust timing

does LW7 or PM have anything similar?

Chewey
12-14-2001, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by trevlb
does LW7 or project messiah have something resembling the dope sheet in maya.

the dope sheet provides an overview of all the keyframes (it represents them as blocks) which makes it very easy to adjust timing

does LW7 or PM have anything similar?

Lightwave7 has their "Speadsheet" which is not as extensive as Maya's or SI's "dope sheets" etc. also the graph editor for keyframe editing and more.

Too early to comment on what will make it to the final release of pmg:messiah in terms of a "dope sheet" or similar data display.

Grab the demo of LW 7b and the pdf docs. They're free!!

ftp.newtek.com

trevlb
12-17-2001, 01:16 PM
thanks for the tip chewey. i didn't know LW 7 had a demo. very nice. i wish all software did

David Lightbown
12-18-2001, 04:04 PM
I personally stopped using Messiah as soon as I got my hands on LW6. LW7 just made it better. I will take a look at pmg:messiah when it comes out, but I think that I prefer having everything integrated into one package. However, for those who are interested, from what I understand, Taron swears by Messiah...

David

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.