PDA

View Full Version : The SkyTracer Repository.

dark_lotus
11-03-2002, 12:23 PM
Yes well here's an interesting idea, submit you best skytracer skies, and post a link up to the JPEG or tiff file.

We can build up a whole collection of images!!!

And we can share in the rewards; just some things though,

1) they should be suitable for spherical projection

2) Please make them usuable, so no 100x75 pixel renders.

I'm about to render on out now, so get em started!!

Jinxo
11-03-2002, 06:04 PM
I sure hope your repository idea works, but...

Do people actually use SkyTracer? I mean, to render a spherical map at decent rez that won't fuzzy up (2000+ x 1500+), wiiiith medium/high volumetric clouds, would take...

Well, I dunno how long it would take. Only time I tried to SkyBaker one, I aborted it after ~8 hours of work...

I have since resorted to employing really hi-rez sky pics, which I'll tile up in PS, modify enough to mask the tiling, etc.

A fighter jet scene I've been toying around with is wearing a 4000x3000 such bg, which I cooked up with a 4000x1000 that a friend took. It's a killer for memory, but renders really fast and the resolution allows for up to 640x -convincing- renders before image artifacts start showing.

cheers
Alex

Mike RB
11-03-2002, 06:45 PM
Skygen by Eki is amazing, see thread:

http://forums.newtek.com/discus/messages/2/29096.html?1035365336

wgreenlee1
11-03-2002, 07:46 PM
Skytracer tips! (http://forums.newtek.com/discus/messages/2/33918.html?1036324775)

erikals
11-03-2002, 07:56 PM
Skygen is pretty cool but the clouds look a bit too "cotton" in my opinion, as far as the clouds animate, it's pretty close to the real thing. I'm sure next versions will kick ass though.

KillMe
11-03-2002, 09:46 PM
why not save sky tracer presets takes up alot less space then people could share them

Jinxo
11-03-2002, 11:38 PM
If you read the rest of the thread, you'll see being mentioned how long it can take for a production quality sky to be baked.

It should then become obvious that it would be much better for people to spend 5min and download a finished hirez image, rather than having to lock up a station to do a 8-12hr bake themselves.

cheers
Alex

KillMe
11-04-2002, 10:57 AM
yeah but once baked you dont get aniamtion options - and unless your using it as a lightsource why bother baking it?

Jinxo
11-04-2002, 04:50 PM
Well, I dunno abt others, but I really don't care much about animating the sky, since it's not my work's focus. If anything, it would probably work as a distraction.

So, baking the sky comes into play.

Besides, if I plan to use an animated sky, at the very least I'd need a baked version for reflections etc, to do the first pass of the animation, before doing the sky background alone seperately.

In any case, this is a fairly pointless debate. I'm sure that most people offering baked skies would offer the settings as well.

On a side note, I did a new hirez non-AA bake last night. At high detail settings, it seems that the job was done in about 1hr, but LW simply wouldn't restore itself (un-minimize) properly afterwards. I'd venture a guess and say that's what led me to think that a bake takes 8+hrs last time I bothered...

Finally, SkyGen seems to be a fairly good way around Skytracer.

However, IMHO neither produces photoreal skies, at least definately not without a lot of fine tuning...

cheers
Alex

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.