PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice please

UhChris
08-22-2005, 09:50 PM
This is my first post on these forums (i think considering i tried posting in an already exsisting thread and it didnt show up lol) anyways, i need some help in improving my abilities and style and technique and about everything, seems i've been in a slump for the past idk how long. Anyways i would much appreciate any advice for improvement, and if im in the wrong place for something like this please point me in the right direction, i have know idea what im doing really on these threads lol

So this was drawn from reference, something i found on the net, actually sent to me by someone else, so i dont know who the original artist is, but i drew this from that. so tell me what you think please, and how i can improve, any advice would be much appreciated, thank you!
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/UhChris22/sexyangelcopy.jpg

Baker17
08-22-2005, 11:25 PM
hey man,
this is a good start! are you planning on colouring it in a paint programme?? i find, its really good, to do the line art, void of shading. this can be argued, but it enables you to really focus on the form, and then deal with the shading in greyscale in photoshop (or whatever you are using)
anatomically, i found the body a little small for the head, and no disrespect, i made some adjustments, in photoshop using the liquify, just highlighting what i mean. i work visually, and this is the best way for me. mines not perfect,its juts an idea of what mean, his body looks a little feminin, and shoulders and ribcage need a little broadening. but maybe you were going for a more feminin look?? le me know if this helps. its going to look cool thugh n colour. keep us posted

UhChris
08-23-2005, 02:32 AM
hey man,
this is a good start! are you planning on colouring it in a paint programme?? i find, its really good, to do the line art, void of shading. this can be argued, but it enables you to really focus on the form, and then deal with the shading in greyscale in photoshop (or whatever you are using)
anatomically, i found the body a little small for the head, and no disrespect, i made some adjustments, in photoshop using the liquify, just highlighting what i mean. i work visually, and this is the best way for me. mines not perfect,its juts an idea of what mean, his body looks a little feminin, and shoulders and ribcage need a little broadening. but maybe you were going for a more feminin look?? le me know if this helps. its going to look cool thugh n colour. keep us posted

no disrespect taken, i was actually hoping for someone to do exactly what you did lol, though im very new, and not very bright when it comes to terminology and such, for instance i dont comprehend what you mean by "void of shading", do you mean to cancle chading till after i outline it? Yes i use photoshop and illustrator for my coloring, though i dont have access to a pen tablet atm, and i find those to be the best when drawing or coloring in photoshop. I seem to have a habit of drawing the head too large, i seem to do that to all my drawings, you see i am more accustom to drawing cartoons and what not and i always draw their heads huge for some reason but that is something i need to think about when redrawing this, so thank you for pointing that out. As for the body, the reference that i was working off of was very feminin to begin with or so it seemed to me, i dont know if i can post the original or not since its not my own work, i will definatly keep up the work though, thank you very much for your feedback

Euphrosyne
08-23-2005, 03:52 AM
This is a nice start, I agree with what Baker17 said and his modifications look close to being right on. I do believe that he meant to get the line are correct before adding any shading, that it makes it easier to see any anatomical flaws. That way you don't go to far, before finding problems with your figure.

I would love to see you make the corrections and paint it. It's the best way to learn. Keep going.

UhChris
08-23-2005, 05:10 AM
This is a nice start, I agree with what Baker17 said and his modifications look close to being right on. I do believe that he meant to get the line are correct before adding any shading, that it makes it easier to see any anatomical flaws. That way you don't go to far, before finding problems with your figure.

I would love to see you make the corrections and paint it. It's the best way to learn. Keep going.

thanks for the feed back, when i get a chance i'll take it into photshop and redraw it, though i think i'll stick with the feminin or slender look over the more masculin look, thats what the original was like anyways, though i think im gonna try to redraw it both ways, according to some texts, i believe, angels are supposed to be without gender anyways lol, though whether that looks like an angel or not, well thats open to interpritation, thats what its supposed to be anyway lol
thanks again for the advice!

Baker17
08-23-2005, 07:58 AM
hey man,i like the idea of angels being one sex. and i mean, void of shading, without shading. cause its easier to sort out anatomical difficulties.
even still, on a more feminin body there are some issues with the ribcage, so still take a look there. heres a good sight for human reference. its good to look at a whole bunch of different angles of the body, as to get a good look at the whole. im going to be postingg some of my anatomical studies on this forum soon. when i have the time!! but check this sight out. also, the liquify tool is awsome to make, and check out adjustments!

human reference (http://www.3d.sk/)

UhChris
08-23-2005, 02:30 PM
hey man,i like the idea of angels being one sex. and i mean, void of shading, without shading. cause its easier to sort out anatomical difficulties.
even still, on a more feminin body there are some issues with the ribcage, so still take a look there. heres a good sight for human reference. its good to look at a whole bunch of different angles of the body, as to get a good look at the whole. im going to be postingg some of my anatomical studies on this forum soon. when i have the time!! but check this sight out. also, the liquify tool is awsome to make, and check out adjustments!

human reference (http://www.3d.sk/)

oh i imagin, even with a feminin body theres still anatomical errors, always anatomical errors on my works lol, thanks for site on human reference i will definatly use that when come time for fixing it. And i did check out your adjustments, i sat there comparing the two side by side for some time last night lol. I'll definatly be looking for your anatomical studies posts when you post them now. Thanks again!

Euphrosyne
08-24-2005, 05:35 AM
Don't worry we all make mistakes, I'm just glad when someone else catches them before I think I'm finished and post it as a finished work.

UhChris
08-24-2005, 05:39 AM
Don't worry we all make mistakes, I'm just glad when someone else catches them before I think I'm finished and post it as a finished work.
nothing i ever do is finished lol, seriously, but i plan to fix that! lol

UhChris
08-31-2005, 10:22 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/UhChris22/angelnew.jpgokay, it was suggested to me to use a mapping technique, to try and see how certain points relate to others, well i tried that, and so far this is what i've come up with, however, it seems to me that the figure looks to masuline, when in this particular case he or it should look more feminin, but maybe thats due to lack of shading, idk, anyways heres what i got so far with the technique.

MorganRalston
08-31-2005, 10:38 PM
I think if you followed Baker17's advice the wings perspective would be off a titch.... The head could use some shrinkage.

UhChris
09-01-2005, 04:53 AM
I think if you followed Baker17's advice the wings perspective would be off a titch.... The head could use some shrinkage.

im not quite sure what you mean, but thanks for the imput, however the wings are the least of my concern, as i am more concerned with the body and anatomy, but thanks anyways, for taking the time to post, and yes i have a problem with drawing huge heads lol, im comming form a more cartoony background, so i have a habbit of drawing huge heads...and feet for some reason lol but im trying to expand...so thanks again!

TheTon
09-01-2005, 08:33 AM
Hey UhChris! I always used to have similar problems to you when drawing people. I could never get the proportions right even though it was right there in front of me! I was taught the "mapping" way and it worked for me. The best advice you can ever use is "Practice, practise, practise!" The more you draw from life, the more you begin to understand how things work. Take a sketch book with you wherever you go (Bobby Chiu's Subway Sketch forum is a great place for inspiration. It's fantastic!) And also take full advantage of the workshops that RebeccaK is doing. You will learn a lot! I am still learning myself and these places are a brilliant source of inspiration and knowledge!

Also, have a look at this book by Andrew Loomis. It tells you practically everything you need to know about figure drawing! IT'S ACE!!!

http://d538518.u320.bigcrawler.com/FigureDrawing/figure.htm

Nice one! Keep practising! :thumbsup:

The Ton

PS I always thought Prince had a head far too big for his body anyway.

Baker17
09-02-2005, 09:00 AM
hey chris,
howsit coming along?? trying the old mapping technique are we. can be quite a dawnting task. just always remember, art is not an exact science, however, observation is. learning to study visually, what it is you are looking at, takes, alot of practice, something all good artists have to learn to master. find oout what it is works for you, copy other artworks (to practice, not to use) and see if what works for them, works for you. i used to love, when i was younger, copying comic book drawings, eg, the hulk. cause i love the musculature, guess, thats why im so a fussy abou anatomy.
i dont beleive the wings perspective would be off at all...but thats my opinion.
youre never going to please everyone :hmm:
keep us posted dude. and dont forget the liquify tool, its a saviour for anatomy, and proportion!!

dont forget, there cant be a victory, without a battle!! :thumbsup:

UhChris
09-02-2005, 07:20 PM
heya, old mapping technique to you, new to me lol but when i used the mapping technique it felt kinda weird but kinda familar at the same time..weird...but it felt like problem solving, like math lol...idk, thats just what came to mind as i was doing it, kinda felt unnatural too for some reason, but i think thats just me being weird lol i know what you mean about copying, or emulating others art, when i was younger i didnt think about the benifits of that, was too worried about copying others, and didnt want to be dubed a "copy-cat" lol, though i wish i would have tryed emulating more now, and im not worried about the wings for now, just the figure, the anatomy, thats all i really care about on this particular project lol not trying to please everyone, just trying to please myself, anyways, heres what i have so far, as you can tell i pretty much started over lol here ya go
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/UhChris22/angelnew2copy.jpg
well there ya are, crits welcome, also i started another thread with really old work of mine , check it out if ya get a chance, just go to all threads posted by me, its the only other one other then this lol, but check it out and you can see where im comming from as an "artist" if you want to consider me that lol, you can see all my common errors and mistakes and such lol, thanks again for the posts everyone!

Baker17
09-04-2005, 09:48 PM
hey man,
looking better,
still feel theres an issue in the arm, and ribcage, just bradening them a little might help. but i like the style, and its coming on. keep up the good work! :buttrock:

UhChris
09-04-2005, 11:44 PM
hey there, which arm do you speak of? i know that that the character's right arm is a little too short, i think..idk, still need to fix stuff, but right now, studiing for SATs lol so i'll have to get back on this soon, thanks for posting!

Baker17
09-07-2005, 11:54 PM
good luck with the exams!
im talkin about the right arm, just by the armpit there, looks alittle too close to the shoulder.
anyway, good luck! :buttrock:

CGTalk Moderation
09-07-2005, 11:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.