PDA

View Full Version : Exporting maya layers and groups into OpenGL

Elohssa
08-22-2005, 06:56 PM
I am using Maya 6.0 to create 3D scenes to export into our software in openGL.

We are exporting the files as .OBJ with its associated texture files. This is no problem, the objects and textures look fine, but we would like to have the ability to export layers and groups so that we can turn selected objects on/off just like the Layers Display in the channel box in Maya.

Is there a way to keep this "layers" information so that we can turn the same objects on/off visually in openGL?

Is there a format that we can export from maya to openGL to keep this information?

mlanser
08-26-2005, 12:24 PM
i don't know. there are just some .obj import stuff i've seen so far.
but maybe you can do that turn on/off layers thru the accumulation buffer.
it's normally used to do some effects, but it's a sort of a drawing buffer where you can put some data into (copy or add to the pixel values). then you can program some switch functions. should be a lot of copying the drawing buffer to the acc-buffer and back, but that could work.
good luck

nurcc
08-26-2005, 04:04 PM
This may be a bit simplistic, and depends on how many layers you have in your scene.
You can turn specific layers on and off, and output an OBJ for each layer. Then it'd be easy to tell the different layers, by keeping track of which objects were in which OBJ file.

playmesumch00ns
08-26-2005, 06:43 PM
As soon as you get beyond "I want to export this poly soup with these uv's", you really have to write your own exporter.

Writing a plugin to export to your own format is not hard at all, and allows you so much more flexibility: it's absolutely worth it.

CGTalk Moderation
08-26-2005, 06:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.