PDA

View Full Version : Normal Mapper Plugin

G3D
08-22-2005, 05:18 PM
I've been working with a normal mapper shader plugin that has yielded some good results, but as of this am has become pretty flaky. Renders quit LW about halfway through a render. Anyone else haver this happen and have a solution?

TIA

doc sampson
08-22-2005, 07:53 PM
Which one are you using?

G3D
08-22-2005, 08:03 PM
Seriously, though, I didn't know there were two.I'm using TB's Normal_Map Shader version 0.28

G3D
08-24-2005, 11:21 PM
or where it can be found? I really like what Normal Maps can do, but the instability of the TB_Normal_Map_Shader is making it impractical.

brunotag
08-25-2005, 11:00 AM
you can try melody, free normal map generator http://developer.nvidia.com/object/melody_home.html

G3D
08-26-2005, 09:00 PM
I can generate normal maps just fine; I have ZBrush. Its actually using them within Lightwave through a stable shader or plugin that is what I'm interested in.

Aegis Prime
08-26-2005, 09:57 PM
Here's (http://amber.rc.arizona.edu/lw/normalmaps.html) the other one - there's actually a 3rd (commercial) one too that comes with Evasion 3D's MicroWave

G3D
08-27-2005, 10:30 AM
I was hoping to find another shader that can let Lightwave use the Normal Mpas. Like I wrote before: making the normal map in the first place is not my problem; its gettig Lightwave to render models that have normal maps applied that is the issue. The TB Normal Map Shader is exactly what I have already---its just too unstable to use.

Thanks for the link to Evasion 3D, though.

kevman3d
08-27-2005, 11:55 AM
You did realise that the 'TB' shader is not the same as the Link that Aegis posted to Marvin Landis' Normal Map creator and Shader? :shrug:

I know other ZBrush users have used Marvin's shader - Though not sure myself just how good it is, not using Zbrush and all... :)

I noted that there's a lot of handy links at the bottom of that page for Zbrush > LightWave and other stuff related to normal maps too. Probably worth a read through them to see if there's any good advice in this area...

Fongool
08-27-2005, 06:20 PM
Actually, if you look at Marvin's page, he actually suggests you use TB's shader instead of his own due to the fact that his doesn't play nice with morphs and IK. :)

kevman3d
08-28-2005, 06:17 AM
Do-oh! I didn't really read the page - lol! :D Obviously that means we're back at TB_Normal shader again... :shrug:

[Sanaloria]Snake
09-02-2005, 03:19 PM
Hi all,

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/jcmerlin/Sanaloria/UsineAGaz/NormalMapping_TangentSpace_Generic.shd

Here is a shader tree I made for TB_ShaderTree 0.51 that can render tangent space normal maps, the result is quite good. Just go to the shader interface in layout and load the file. Then click on the first box on the top left (the one that allow you to apply a texture) and place the one you like ; your not obliged to use UV coords and your not obliged to use a normal map (but you will get shading bugs hahaha :bounce: ). To make object/world space there is several nodes to rearrange, just look by yourself.

The highlight boxes just amplify the normal map strengh ; to much make some bugs visible and not enough make the normal map effect barely visible.

Enjoy :)
Snake

CGTalk Moderation
09-02-2005, 03:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.