PDA

View Full Version : New cel shaded project

tufif
08-22-2005, 06:06 PM
Here's a test render for a new cel shaded animation project I'm working on. I'm still playing with how realistic vs how cartoony I want it to look, but I made this pic and thought it looked kinda' cool. So far it's all modeled textured and rendered in lightwave 7.5 using procedural textures.

http://www.kevinhammer.com/animation/ed.jpg

lillmagnus
08-23-2005, 12:33 PM
I think you have to, as you said yourself, decide how cartoony you want it to be and then render it accordingly. Right now you have a bunch of shadows and textures that say 3d but surfaces that are flatly shaded. It makes a confusing overall appearance.

i would limit the shadows and the textures to make it a little bit less 3d and make it more 2d. Also it would help the 2dness if you zoomed in more.

tufif
08-23-2005, 02:15 PM
Thanks! I'll play with that and see how it turns out. It's weird because I could make it look like a cartoon, but I don't want to, and I could make it look realistic, but I don't want to, so I'm trying to find a new look. The problem is that most hybrid looks end up looking like something out of a chewing gum comercial or something, so I'll just have to keep playing with it until I stumble across something.

lillmagnus
08-23-2005, 02:50 PM
I know what you are saying about chewinggum commercials. Something you could try is to make objects reflective while still being flatshaded, a hybrid that sometimes work out well.. It will be interesting to see what you come up with.

tufif
08-23-2005, 03:11 PM
Flat shading with reflection is cool. I actually used that for the tables and bottles in the picture. The tables also have a texture. The tables bottles lamp and couch all have a 3 tone flat shading. The guy in the pic (I haven't rigged him yet and he looks dumb just standing there with his arms out) uses 2 tone flat shading. The walls, shelves, blinds, floor, and books are just using normal shading with outlines. The floor also has a bump map to simulate carpet.

The lighting and shadows are weird in this set. This is for the first scene of the cartoon. The guy fell asleep watching tv and a phone call wakes him up in the morning. The rest of the sets will be lit more and look more cartoony hopefully.

tufif
08-25-2005, 05:18 PM
I think I like the look of the environment so far since even in cartoons the background is generally painted. For the guy I'm going to try making him more cartoony looking without all the textures and see how that turns out.

tufif
09-06-2005, 06:05 PM
I started rigging the cartoon guy over the weekend and I made a goofy test render of his eyes moving. It's not anything special, but I think it looks funny and I felt like sharing...

http://www.kevinhammer.com/animation/eyetest.avi

CGTalk Moderation
09-06-2005, 06:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.