PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Variables

davidbasalla
08-22-2005, 05:49 PM
Hi,
I just stumbled across this and cant seem to solve it...

{
float $a1 = 1;
float $b = 0;

$i = 1;

$b = ("$a" + $i);
}

How would I do it so that ("$a" + $i) actually equals the value of $a1? At the moment I just get:

// Warning: line 8: Converting string "$a1" to a float value of 0. //
// Result: 0 //

Any help would be appreciated!
Cheers, Dave

AndersEgleus
08-22-2005, 06:19 PM
I don't really understand what it is you want to do.

the line

$b = ("$a" + $i);

just tells maya to assign the string "$a" plus the integer $i (which has the value 0) to the variable $b. Since $b and $i are numbers, the string "$a" (note that "$a" is a string, i.e. a piece of text and not a variable) must also be converted to a number - you can't (mathematically) add a number to a text, that's meaningless. Since maya has no clue what number the string "$a" is supposed to mean, it automatically converts it to the number 0.0.

If you explain more clearly what you want to do we'll probably be able to help you.

davidbasalla
08-22-2005, 06:33 PM
i wanted to use the variable $i to iterate through a bunch of variables (eg $a1, $a2, $a3, $a4,...)
so that if I say ("$a" + $i) (where $i = 1, ,2 ,3, 4....) it returns the actual value of the variable $a1 that I had declared previously...

so in my example (where it says
$b = ("$a" + $i);
) I would like $b to equal 1 (from my original declaration
float $a1 = 1;
near the top)

so basically I want ("$a" + $i) to equal the variable $a1
hmmm, its quite hard to explain, i hope this makes it a bit more clear?
Cheers Dave

sporadic
08-22-2005, 06:34 PM
I think I know what you're trying to do. To make this work, you could use the following:

eval ("$b = $a" + $i);

eval will take the created string ("$b = $a1") and evaluate it as MEL. This avoids the early interpretation that you're facing.

Does that help?

davidbasalla
08-22-2005, 06:45 PM
genius!
yeah, exactly what I wanted...
sorry for explaining it so badly...
Thanks alot!
Cheers, Dave

CGTalk Moderation
08-22-2005, 06:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.