PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Armored Knight

Afftor
08-22-2005, 05:19 PM
Greetings.
This is my latest wip work. Now, i got stuck a bit in texturing and environment. :banghead:
So c&c are welcome, especialy in aspect of alternative textures or environment. :)

Gadzooks
08-22-2005, 05:54 PM
very nice. Would love to see a wire shot.

gardogg
08-22-2005, 08:24 PM
I really like the face that shows through. I think the metal shader needs work though. You should try to find a chrome shader or something - like what people use on car rims.

Afftor
08-23-2005, 07:16 AM
Thanks for comments. :)
So, i definetly agree that metal requires more work and everything else requires enchencement also. Well, i'am using Vray and i have lots of car shaders and car rims too (as long as i've made a car myself) but i doubt that this is what an armor would require. So, i think i'll drop textures for now and go for environment - planning to make my knight standing on a cliff with mace and shield actually.

So - here's the grid - symbols are not there cause they're made using displacement maps.

Augh
08-23-2005, 07:19 AM
Try some of this man; http://www.secondreality.ch/tutorials/materials/wornmetal/wornmetal.html Sorry if it's old news to ya, there's definitely really good methods and ideas in there.

I'm liking the armour and the character, metal can use a little work sure, but metal is tough ;) I'd go the "beat it up" route personally.

Nice stuff, keep it coming :thumbsup:

Afftor
08-23-2005, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the tutorial. :)
However - i am using procedural textures, cause unwrapping would be very tough with all that much armor parts.
Guess i'll post a modeling update soon.

blz
08-23-2005, 09:32 AM
looks good to me,nice work.

Afftor
08-23-2005, 01:04 PM
A small texturing update for now. Working on weapons and cliff right now.

Afftor
08-24-2005, 09:23 AM
Another update - modeling this time.

AndrewHwang
08-24-2005, 10:10 AM
You have some really nice modeling going ont here, but i think that the textures on the armor could use some work, it jsut looks too repeated overall. Keep going with this one, i would like to see more.

Afftor
08-25-2005, 11:58 AM
An update using modified textures.
Let me know if you can't see the image.
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/5416/knight189gr.jpg

Augh
08-25-2005, 12:04 PM
Metal looking a LOT less linear/tiled now, good job :) I really like the shield design hehe.

Cheers! :thumbsup:

mjkennedy
08-25-2005, 02:43 PM
Metal looking a LOT less linear/tiled now, good job :) I really like the shield design hehe.

Cheers! :thumbsup:

Agreed on all accounts. I still think he looks a little stiff though. A think a few little tweeks with the arms and legs would go a long way.

Still really great work though!

Matt

Teemu
08-25-2005, 03:36 PM
Awesome model and textures! However the armor looks like its brand new. I don't know what kind of look you are going for, but you might want add some dirt to it. I don't mean it should be covered with mud but it would look a bit more realistic with some dirt in corners and some small scratches around moving parts. You could paint some bigger scratches aswell if you want him look like hes been in fight. Also you could add some marks how the armor was made. Now its slighly bit too even almost like it was made in modern factory by a machine. Imagine middle age blacksmiths forging it. I think it would leave some visible marks.

Afftor
08-25-2005, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the comments. :)
First of all - yes, i'm still going to enchance the image. Secondary - i'am not sure what look of armor i would like, but i don't think that it would be rusty - i like it to be a fashionable armor better.
And the last but not the least - i'am working on environment now - planning to put this knight into some old crypt. :)

Bladestone
08-25-2005, 06:16 PM
This is cool, would be really neat to see a front / character pose style shot -

D-E-A-N
08-25-2005, 06:21 PM
looking great, nice modeling and texturing. :)

keep it up.

cheers,
dean

Rebuiltworld
08-25-2005, 08:29 PM
It's perfect! Can't wait to see final render!

mjkennedy
08-25-2005, 09:20 PM
And the last but not the least - i'am working on environment now - planning to put this knight into some old crypt. :)

With such nice, clean armor, I would picture this knight standing on the steps of a citadel, as a royal guard or something. Even the angle you're rendering at now I think would lend itself nicely to that sort of noble atmosphere. I dont think a crpyt would be very becoming of such an honorable looking knight! :)

Well, that's my opinion anyways, for what its worth.

Matt

Afftor
08-26-2005, 09:38 AM

0ken0
Actualy, it wouldn't be a kind of a normal crypt - i've recently come up with interesting idea about what it could be like - but it would maintain the style for sure. :)
Considering the citadel - well, i've thought of it myself but it looks like it would screw the composition as long as it is a grand object. Thanks anyway. :)

Hope that i'll post an update soon.

Afftor
09-07-2005, 04:28 PM
So - an update. With environment and some lightning and texturing work too.
http://img322.imageshack.us/img322/8849/knight211nn.jpg

Afftor
09-08-2005, 10:06 AM
No C&C so far? Well, i think i'll finish with this one for now, then. And move on to the next work. :)

Athidi
09-08-2005, 10:47 AM
Think you should try to make the hands take a grip around the weapon, it doesnt look very natural when he doesnt even hold it..

but other then that, good work..

blz
09-08-2005, 11:08 AM
i agree that theres a lil issue with the hands and the sword
still, very good work!
keep goin'

CGTalk Moderation
09-08-2005, 11:08 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.