PDA

View Full Version : final cut newb please help

splintah
08-22-2005, 02:42 PM
i prefered sony vegas when i was on pc but since i moved to mac i thought i give final cut a try
since i hear so much good about it, it seemed a wise thing to do
so i borrowed a friends machine with final cut on it (hes on vacation) and started cutting
but some things really, really annoy me (they can probably be switched off somehow)

for example

how can i turn off this annoying "jump to start or end of clip magnet thing" when i scrub ?

is there an easier way to zoom in out and move sideways in the timeline ?

more to come

splintah
08-22-2005, 02:50 PM
can i make scrubbing faster ? (lower some quality)

since i am doing music based stuff i need to scrubb a lot in order to get the videos in place
so they start and end with the beats and so on

maxx10
08-22-2005, 03:04 PM
to turn off the snapping look on the timeline on the far right there should be some buttons above the playhead space one is to separate audio and video of a clip and one is the snapping

http://www.geniusdv.com/final_cut_pro_courseware/final_cut_pro_timeline_editing_files/image069.gif

to lower quality of the video playback there is a pulldown menu on the far left of the timeline window

http://www.kenstone2.net/fcp_homepage/images_fce_2_stone/02_fce_2_stone.jpg

also to scrub around (maybe you know already...) you can use the J-K-L keys control reverse-normal-forward direction of the play head. If you press the L key just once, it will travel a little faster; press it succeessfully, and the speed increases. Of course, at some particular speed, it becomes unintelligible.

finally, THE finalcut resource site is ken stone's if you haven't been there yet:

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/fcp_homepage_index.html

splintah
08-23-2005, 09:36 AM
wow thanks a lot

works way better now
also thanks for the link

one question remains:
zooming in and out
scroll (not scrub) left and right
in the timeline
i found "apple" - and +
but well
it doesn't work as smooth as say
maya lmb, mmb & rmb . THAT would be great

maxx10
08-23-2005, 01:06 PM
hmm... the closest you can get to a maya-like behavior is to use the hand tool "H" to move about the timeline, while using the hand tool if you press OPTION it toggles to zoom out, if you press CMD (Apple key) it zooms in, if you click and drag the selected area will zoom and by pressing SHIFT-z the whole sequence will be scaled to fit the window, by pressing "A" you'll be back using the arrow, "B" blade and so on
....also, if you have a scroll-wheel mouse, put the cursor at the top of the timeline, where the timecode numbers are, and you can scrub the playhead by rolling the wheel.

splintah
08-24-2005, 11:37 AM
thanks a lot man

i am slowly feeling more comfortable working with FC

one last thing
since i edit the video to fit to the audio track
its very important to SEE the audiotrack (beats and breaks and so on)
is there a way i can make the frequency show up in the audio bar in the timeline
so i can SEE when the beat comes ?

maxx10
08-24-2005, 01:46 PM
thanks a lot man

i am slowly feeling more comfortable working with FC

:thumbsup:

one last thing
since i edit the video to fit to the audio track
its very important to SEE the audiotrack (beats and breaks and so on)
is there a way i can make the frequency show up in the audio bar in the timeline
so i can SEE when the beat comes ?

apple(cmd) + option(alt) + W in the timeline, make sure you aren't at the lowest magnification level (those small vertical rectangles) otherwise it wont show
you can also use the pop-up menu by pressing the little arrow on the right of said magnifying boxes and given the type of work you're doing you might want to turn on video filmstrip from the same menu...if you click on the button on left of the magnifying boxes you toggle the clip overlays that allow to work with the audio levels with the pen tool

CGTalk Moderation
08-24-2005, 01:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.