PDA

View Full Version : transfering pencil sketch

Vyliss
08-22-2005, 02:01 PM
ok, this is a tradtional art question: I was wondering how do ppl transfer or duplicate a pencil sketch from 1 paper to another, especially when they are thick paper. I also have no idea how tracing paper is meant to be used, I don't understand what you do with it (besides the obvious, but I don't see the point of just tracing something onto tracing paper)

help this noob please :)

paperclip
08-22-2005, 02:19 PM
Carbon copy paper, my dear, carbon copy...

Trace onto tracing paper

then

Use the carbon copy paper under the tracing paper over the new piece of paper. Use the marks made by the carbon copy as a guideline for the new drawing.

cheers.

Vyliss
08-22-2005, 02:26 PM
ohh.. where do you get carbon paper from? only art shop?

also this means I have to go over the drawing twice correct?

paperclip
08-22-2005, 02:29 PM
I think you can get it in office supplies stores as well, they use it for typing multiple copies simultaneously.

Try stationery stores also.
Yes, you do need to go over the drawing twice. Most people wouldn't have the patience for that, but if it's something important....

dbclemons
08-22-2005, 02:36 PM
It's pretty easy to make your own. Just rub charcoal or graphite on the back of the drawing, or on the back of the areas you'll be transferring, and then re-draw the image.

Saral sells transfer carbon paper in rolls of different colors.

Vyliss
08-22-2005, 02:46 PM
ohh good idea dbclemonsthanks for the help

puntoypixel
08-25-2005, 09:28 PM
Why don't you try a light box? Or use the cheaper way: use a window (or your computer screen) to see through the blank paper.:)

Lunatique
08-26-2005, 03:30 AM
Lightbox is the cleanest, and it's indispensible for many things. Having one makes huge difference in one's workflow. You can also try a projector. It's also a good idea to keep one handy in case you need to blow a drawing up larger.

Kirt
08-26-2005, 08:47 AM
You don't need to draw the same thing twice if you're doing the carbon paper routine. Make a photocopy of the drawing (handy for enlargements and reductions as well), slip the carbon between your copy and the new page. Then you draw it once to transfer.

This method also preserves your original drawing much nicer as tracing on top of the original risks smudges, tears and other nasty "oops" moments.

Alex Morris
08-26-2005, 11:50 AM
You can also use jewelers rouge, which doesn't need to be fixed and doesnt muck up any overpainting.

CGTalk Moderation
08-26-2005, 11:50 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.