PDA

View Full Version : No more demos?

Leonardo Vega
08-22-2005, 12:56 PM
How come Newtek stopped releasing demo versions or 30-day trials of their software? It's too bad, it's always nice to "play" with the new features before buying.

- Leo

kennez
08-22-2005, 03:53 PM
I think you have to contact Newtek or a reseller for a demo version.

assistant pimp
08-22-2005, 04:11 PM
I was able to get a trial of 8.3 by contacting them directly. I think you gotta beg a bit too.

Kurtis
08-22-2005, 06:21 PM
Nope. No begging required. :)

vegabros,

Since you're in North America, you can call our Sales department directly at 1-800-843-8934. They can set you up with a LightWave [8] Discovery CD and one of the new Demo Reel DVDs.

PetterSundnes
08-22-2005, 06:59 PM
Any chance of a download version soon?

Kurtis
08-22-2005, 07:08 PM
We're working on a completely new demo version of LightWave, which will be based on LightWave 9. When the new demo version is released, we plan to make it available via download.

The Demo Reel DVD can be viewed on NewTekTV.com, or downloaded in pieces from our SIGGRAPH 2005 video clips page.

Phyrea
08-22-2005, 07:28 PM
Awesome Kurtis! That's really great news. I've been wanting to give people links to a downloadable version for a long time. :applause:

Leonardo Vega
08-22-2005, 07:34 PM
Super! I hope it will be a 30-day trial and not a non-saving version. Just because it's hard to test the software with 3rd party apps like Messiah when you can't export. I really like Messiah and I'm trying to find an app that works very well with it.

- Leo

funfun
08-22-2005, 07:52 PM
We're working on a completely new demo version of LightWave, which will be based on LightWave 9. When the new demo version is released, we plan to make it available via download.

The Demo Reel DVD can be viewed on NewTekTV.com, or downloaded in pieces from our SIGGRAPH 2005 video clips page.

When can we get the Demo Reel DVD, approximately?

assistant pimp
08-22-2005, 07:56 PM
When can we get the Demo Reel DVD, approximately?

Since you're in North America, you can call our Sales department directly at 1-800-843-8934. They can set you up with a LightWave [8] Discovery CD and one of the new Demo Reel DVDs.

Sounds like you can get it now.

fletchman
08-22-2005, 10:23 PM
Super! I hope it will be a 30-day trial and not a non-saving version.
- Leo

Hi Leo,

If my own experience with the Discovery Edition of Lightwave was anything to go by (back in the day when I was trying it out) it is not save disabled and is a fully functional version for about 14 days (I think, may have changed now). After which, you are restricted by the number of points or polys you can create in it and renders with a watermark of sorts but still able to save scenes and Lightwave Objects.

Leonardo Vega
08-23-2005, 02:56 AM
Thanks Fletch!

Btw, I like your choice in apps! :)

- Leo

fletchman
08-23-2005, 03:03 AM
Hey Leo,

No probs....i bought Messiah when it was ver 1.5 and it still is a good app for complementing Lightwave 7 when I first got it. The other apps are to build user experience and my next purchase is Zbrush.

Leonardo Vega
08-23-2005, 03:42 AM
How good is the connection between Lightwave and Messiah? Do you use Point-Oven or direct connection?

Thanks!
Leo

fletchman
08-23-2005, 04:03 AM
There is a host Api within lightwave. Select your charachter in Layout, properties , deform tab, add messiah:displace. Double click and it launches the Messiah interface. You are then able to bone it and animate. When you save the scene it maintains a link between Lightwave and Messiah. You make changes by going back to the Deform tab and double clicking it. The connection is good. The thing I like about Messiah is that you don't have to worry about weighting. Use bone and animate straight away.

Leonardo Vega
08-23-2005, 04:27 AM
Nice! Although I'm sure a little weighting is necessary right? I've been toying with Messiah for a bit now. I was hoping to use it with C4D but the connection is bad :\ So I'm checking out LW :)

What happens if you do an animation, and then your client tells you to change the mesh. He wants a big tail on him now or something. Will you have to re-rig and re-animate?

Also, when going from Messiah to LW, do you have to bake the animation or pretty much what you see in Messiah, you see in LW?

Thanks again for your insight. I'm confused on what tools to buy lol.

- Leo

fletchman
08-23-2005, 04:32 AM
Dude,

I don't want to turn this thread into a Messiah one. Check your PM.

Leonardo Vega
08-23-2005, 04:53 AM
Oops, sorry... kinda drifted off topic :eek:

- Leo

Sbowling
08-23-2005, 06:42 AM
How come Newtek stopped releasing demo versions or 30-day trials of their software? It's too bad, it's always nice to "play" with the new features before buying.

- Leo

They're probably too embarrased to show it off.

Phyrea
08-23-2005, 07:24 AM
They're probably too embarrased to show it off.
They've offered a demo for a long time. It hasn't previously been downloadable, but it's always been easy to get.

CGTalk Moderation
08-23-2005, 07:24 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.