PDA

View Full Version : How to: Starting Character Modeling

kishan
08-21-2005, 07:53 PM
Dear artists,

I was wondering what the correct way to start character modeling is, in other words how do you begin with character modeling? I have tried some tutorials (Joan of Arc) but they always left me fustrated and made me just quit half way through.

I know this isn't a good quality but I have been trying for ever to start creating my own characters(One of the main reasons why 3d Art interested me), so could anyone help me?

Are there any tutorials I need to read/follow to begin? Or should I try something else?

Thanks for reading this, I'm Looking forward to reading you wise replies.

Kind Regards,
Kishan "Kishu" Krishnasing

pnoland
08-21-2005, 09:05 PM
Everybody has a different approach to modeling. It all boils down to what "clicks" with you so keep trying as many tutorials as you can. There are LOTS of them out there. There is a tutorials sticky in this modeling forum that has links to a good amount of tutorials and besides that, google google google. When starting character work it can be VERY frustrating when you're not getting the results you would like but it takes lots of time and practice to get good at Modeling. :)

Cozmo
08-24-2005, 08:10 AM
Well, first of all you shouldn't, no you mustn't get frustrated, frustration leads to the dark side.You should be very, very patient. First you should know your tools, if don't know them, you won't be able to model anything that's decent enough. Spend as much time on one part of the model as you want, if you're not happy with it don't hesitate to delete it and start all over again, unless you have deadlines of course. Don't be hasty, you can spend 2 days just modelling the ear. Find as much reference material as you can, anatomy books, photos...you name it, draw you ref material if can, if you can't, learn to draw well enough.

Joan of arc iwas probably the best tut I found some time ago, I learnt a great deal from it, just by looking at the pages.

billrobertson42
08-26-2005, 06:02 PM
I know how you feel. I started polygon modelling earlier this year. It took me quite awhile to get to the point where I could complete simple tutorials. It can be very frustrating.

What software are you using?

kishan
08-26-2005, 09:26 PM
I am using 3ds Max atm.

Davidxt
08-26-2005, 10:45 PM
Try to not model when you're aggravated because you will normally turn out poor results due to impatience. Atleast I do. You have to practice. Of course it is a lot easier said than done, and that a key difference I see in "good" character modelers and ones that remain amateurs. If you have the endurance to outlive the first several months of trial and error. You will always have something new to learn, but the first projects will be let downs unless you're willing to learn from your mistakes.

JuddWack
09-02-2005, 08:19 AM
In addition to this question if you are modeling in the T pose should the character always be nude and have the clothes as a seperate model?

Opelfruits
09-02-2005, 09:11 AM
In addition to this question if you are modeling in the T pose should the character always be nude and have the clothes as a seperate model?

if you wont see the parts covered up then you dont need to model them, but if your doing a cloth sim or if the character will show any of these parts at a different time then yes.

also, if you dont need to and you are limited for time then it would be silly to spend ages making the body.

CGTalk Moderation
09-02-2005, 09:11 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.