PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave vs. Maya

LordMolotov
08-21-2005, 05:43 PM
Ok, I searched the forum and couldn't find a thread about this so here it is. I'm going to graduate soon from Art School and I need to buy a 3D package for myself. I know how to use Maya pretty well and I'm learning Lightwave too. Now, the only thing that turns me off about Maya is the price(only worth buying the Unlimited version anyways), and that it's darn complicated and ugly to get stuff done in. (Unless you put every plug-in in the world). Other than that I like most of it. Lightwave, however, seems to me to be elegant and user-friendly, (not to mention inexpensive!); however I am concerned with its power/potential/ability. Can Lightwave do the things that Maya does? One of the other things that I like about Maya is the sheer amount of training/tutorials/videos/etc...that are available. In the Lightwave front I haven't seen much. I would appreciate any comments (intelligent please, no kiddy bashing) that Lightwave users could provide me!

Thanks a bunch!

Molotov

Eddie_rossi
08-21-2005, 05:52 PM
The reason you haven't seen anything about comparing these two is because were not aloud to compare the two on the forums, the best thing to do is try them out yourself, or PM someone who is experienced with them both!

webhead
08-21-2005, 06:00 PM
Every time someone asks a question like this, they open up a can of worms.
You are going to get so many personal and often passionate replies about this.
In all honesty, I haven't used Maya but, I have used Lightwave. I like Lightwave, but if I could also afford to get Maya Unlimited I would buy it, too. Maya and Lightwave are sometimes used along each other in studios because Maya is so deep and powerful and Lightwave because it can do the job and do it quickly. Maya is said to be dominant in the film industry and Lightwave more dominant in television, however both are used in either.
Budget was the deciding factor for me, and it may be for you as well. Maya, I understand is both more expensive to buy initially and to continue to upgrade than Lightwave.
You are going to have to weigh the facts and decide which is the best choice based on the pros and cons. That's my take on it anyway.

Cman
08-21-2005, 06:09 PM
Ok, I searched the forum and couldn't find a thread about this so here it is.
One of the other things that I like about Maya is the sheer amount of training/tutorials/videos/etc...that are available. In the Lightwave front I haven't seen much.

Both of these comments tell me you haven't searched very much, if at all.

To sum up, there's a HUGE and fairly tight online community of LW users - same for most other 3D software.
There's a HUGE variety of tutorials available for LW - same as for most other 3d software.
There's thousands of animations completed with LW - same as for most other 3d software.

IMHO, the key for you is you said "Lightwave, however, seems to me to be elegant and user-friendly, (not to mention inexpensive!)" - that tells me you should work with LW.

But don't base your decision on just using two softwares - try 3ds Max, XSI, A:M, etc etc.

FWIW, you might want to get both LW and XSI Foundation for character animation.
(LW to be used primarily for modeling and rendering.)
Or wait for LW 9, and see what's there.

LordMolotov
08-21-2005, 06:22 PM
Man, I apologize for sounding like a complete newb on this. I appreciate your comments on the packages. I've worked for about 2 years on Maya and and only just starting to experiment with Lightwave. It's tough to have to face an important decision like this because aside from a monetary expense, you also have to put in a lot of time learning the software. I know that it might be considered "rude" to 'compare' but in this case, I think it's viable. My short-term goal with either package is to make a few CG short films. I'm interested in discovering my own artistic ability with CG tools and I would like to be able to apply most of the techniques/tools/conventions that are used in the industry these days. Hence, I require a fully equipped toolset/program. However, ease of use, workflow productivity and stability are of course a major concern. Either way, again, I appreciate your comments/thoughts on this subject.

Sincerely,

Molotov

RobertoOrtiz
08-21-2005, 06:25 PM
IMPORTANT: "Which 3D app should I use?" (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=19315)

-R