PDA

View Full Version : Texture sizing ...?

threedeesketch
08-21-2005, 06:05 PM
I'm not exactly a newbie but I need a bit of help/advice.

I've been working on a model of a structure and of course until you
texture or render, etc. the size is relative.

However now I'm starting my texturing process and I've got a texture
that's 1600x1200 pixels. When I just use a standard 1:1 planar
projection on the geometry, the texture is tiled because it's
relatively small.

This model is going to be basically low-res and I'd like to use
1024x1024 textures at the most. So how do I go about down-scaling it
so this wall I'm trying to texture (the largest single plane of
geometry I'll have to deal with) will fit a 1024x1024 roughly 1:1 ?

I want to clarify: I know how to scale geometry. I want to know how to
measure the size of the geometry (in this case a flat plane "wall")
relative to the pixel dimensions of my texture file.

assistant pimp
08-21-2005, 06:14 PM
Yo dude I had this question not too long ago, but a search pulled up this article by leigh. Might help you, it did me.

http://leigh.cgcommunity.com/pdf/size_does_count.pdf

doc sampson
08-21-2005, 10:41 PM
Keep the aspect ratios the same.
If you have a texture map thats 640x480 then create a poly thats 6.4m x 4.8m or 640mm x 480mm etc etc. Experiment with a single poly and a texture to get a feel for it. :)

threedeesketch
08-21-2005, 11:29 PM
Keep the aspect ratios the same.
If you have a texture map thats 640x480 then create a poly thats 6.4m x 4.8m or 640mm x 480mm etc etc. Experiment with a single poly and a texture to get a feel for it. :)

Hmmmm I hadn't thought about it like that. Thanks...

...ok so my second question, how to I got about quickly measuring a pre-existing piece of geometry? Is there a numeric panel or "properties" menu or something?

evan
08-21-2005, 11:56 PM
You could use the measure tool (CTRL-E I think) or draw out another box and watch the details in the numerical editor.

Evan

blaqDeaph
08-22-2005, 01:56 AM
A few things you can do to increase the efficiency of texturing.

1. You can use point information to find the distance between two points by taking the distance between a set of coordinates.

2. You can use the Auto-size on the texturing menu. This will give you the dimensions of the texture so that it exactly fits the surfaces. One thing about LW's interface, is that you can perform calculations on the fly in the numeric boxes. Try adding a "/ 2" after any numeric value, and LW will divide that value by 2! This is particularly handy for scaling textures, although you can apply this to almost every text box with numbers in it.

CGTalk Moderation
08-22-2005, 01:56 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.