PDA

View Full Version : Now OPEN!!! Open Figure Drawing Workshop with Hong Ly and Rebecca Kimmel 002

Pages : [1] 2

Rebeccak
08-21-2005, 02:29 PM
NOW OPEN!!! OPEN FIGURE DRAWING WORKSHOP 002!!!

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a35/rebeccak4/Open%20Figure%20Drawing%20Workshop/Hong-Ly-Announcement.jpg

Welcome to the Inaugural thread of the Open Figure Drawing Workshop!!! I am truly excited about this, and am very grateful to good friend and old Art Center chum Hong Ly, with whom I spent many hours in the Open Figure Drawing Workshops from 6:45 - 9:00 pm back in our art school days.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a35/rebeccak4/Open%20Figure%20Drawing%20Workshop/hong_work.jpg

I had the idea for this thread, but was unsure how to procure decent photographs ~ but, having reconnected with Hong in LA during SIGGRAPH after many years, I discovered that he was an accomplished photographer who already had taken model reference photos for use on his website, dedicated to Character Art and Design, at which Hong is an accomplished professional. It is lucky for us here at CGTalk that Hong has agreed to be a part of this community and to allow us to use his photographs as model reference. Thank you very much, Hong! :)

>>RULES FOR THE THREADS<<

1. Photographs are the property of Hong Ly and are copyrighted as such.

2. Photographs are NOT to be used for ANY other purpose apart from Figurative Drawing Reference for this thread on CGTalk.

3. The drawings created from the photo reference provided here MUST be TASTEFUL, SINCERE, RESPECTFUL, and for the purpose of serious study of the human figure. Those who post silly, disrespectful, or tasteless work will have their posts deleted immediately
and will no longer be allowed to post on this thread. Hong Ly, Rebecca Kimmel, and Roberto Ortiz reserve the right to determine which drawings are considered to be in poor taste and / or disrespectful to the model/s, who have generously agreed to allow their images to be used on the condition that they be used for the tasteful and serious study of Figurative Art only.

4. There is NO TIME LIMIT for posting on this thread.

5. New threads containing new photographs will be posted on a bi-weekly basis, depending on the number of photographs available.

6. There is NO LIMIT to the NUMBER of posts an artist may make. However, we ask that you post only your BEST WORK, even if it is considered unfinished.

7. Artists who post comments and critiques of other artists' work on this thread must be RESPECTFUL, POLITE, and offer CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM. Flaming will be NOT be tolerated, and constitutes dismissal from this and other threads.

8. Hong Ly has generously offered his time to critique work on occasion; however, with a full-time job and a demanding schedule, he will not be able to answer everyone's requests for assistance. He has agreed, however, to stop by the threads when he has time to offer comments and critique. Hong is a great guy and incredibly generous ~ however, please respect his time. I will also be offering the occasional comments / critique ~ however, the main focus of the Open Figure Drawing Workshop threads should be on Group Critique and interaction. :)

9. ANY MEDIUM or STYLE may be used: Traditional or Digital Drawing or Painting, Gestural, Sketch, Finished Render, etc.

10. EDIT: 3D Artists who wish to use the reference for 3D models are free to do so. I just ask that you post your work here as well as in any 3D forum in which you post your work.

11. Please limit the SIZE of your POSTS to 600 pixels WIDTH x Appropriate pixel LENGTH. No huge posts, please!

12. Have fun, enjoy, and create great art! :)

LINKS to Photographs: WARNING: Nudity:

MODEL PHOTOGRAPH 1. (http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/Open%20Figure%20DrawingWkshp_002/characterdesigns004_done.jpg)

MODEL PHOTOGRAPH 2. (http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/Open%20Figure%20DrawingWkshp_002/characterdesigns003_done.jpg)

Good luck! :)

Hong's Website is Now Open! (http://characterdesigns.com/)
http://characterdesigns.com/

~Rebeccak and Hong Ly

Rebeccak
08-21-2005, 02:45 PM
Space reserved for Internal thread LINKS

Rebeccak
08-21-2005, 02:47 PM
Please note that:

ALL Open Figure Drawing Workshop threads will remain OPEN on a continuous basis.

So all are free to continue to post on any Open Figure Drawing Workshop thread of their choice.

The emphasis here is on QUALITY, and not QUANTITY or SPEED.

Thanks! Looking forward to everyone's posts!!! :)

~Rebeccak

EDIT: Also, please let me know by email or PM if there are any broken links, or if Hong Ly's concept image or banner announcement does not appear. Thank you! :)

Llynna
08-21-2005, 03:44 PM
*wuhhhh* thanks rebecca :)

now this boring rainy day got at least something fun to do^^. hopefully i will posting my first sketch soon :)

btw. i wanted to thank you for your great work and teaching you do here. i feel like i improved more in this 1 week i participate here, than in my 2 month of study from normal anatomie books. your opposing curves lecture was a real eye opener :). i was really stunned after returning from hospital to see how much work you and all the others put in here :)

Rebeccak
08-21-2005, 03:50 PM
Llynna,

Thank you very much! Your compliments mean a great deal to me. :) We are all happy to see you here. Indeed, the amount and quality of work and effort put into the OFDW 001 thread by everyone has just been phenomenal!

I hope your hospital stay was for nothing very serious? We all wish you the best and hope you are now healthy! :)

Looking forward to more great work from you! :)

~Rebeccak

Harrad
08-21-2005, 05:09 PM
Had some free time today so i thought that i'd give this a go... been trying to do more drawing recently anyways. Quiet happy with it... few things are a bit off like the foot (can't do feet) and the mouth, but decided that it look good enough, if i did any more i feel that it would be too over worked.

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/7858/drawing3iv.jpg

Rebeccak
08-21-2005, 05:31 PM
Harrad,

WOW! Congratulations on being the first to post! :)

Do you want to do a painting of this pose as well? :)

~Rebeccak

Harrad
08-21-2005, 05:39 PM
Woot! Do i win a prize? lol...:D

Erm... Yeah i might try a painting. It'll have to be digital, cos i've got no paints!

Question:
Where in the photo the back ground is black, how would you sergest showing this in a drawing... would you shade in the background or leave it mainly white as i have. I didn't really know how to handle that part?

Rebeccak
08-21-2005, 06:05 PM
Harrad,

When beginning a digital painting, I highly suggest filling the entire canvas with a mid-tone gray first. Then you work your lights up in value, and your darks down in value. If you are new to digital painting, then I highly suggest doing a grayscale study / painting first.

Here is a demo (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=266229&page=20&pp=15) (see Posts #294 and #295) ~ for digital shading using only Black, White and Gray as your VALUES ~ from the previous OFDW 001 (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=266229) ~ I also recommend checking out Lesson 003 (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=259291), which covers traditional and digital shading.

Hope this helps! :)

~Rebeccak

Harrad
08-21-2005, 06:32 PM
Oh sorry, don't think i made my self clear... erm... i ment in my pencil drawing. I didn't know if the shading i've done to have her sitting IN the paper rather than ON the paper was enough as in the photo the whole background is black but my drawing is white. But if i filled the background in i don't know if that would be a bit overkill?

Rebeccak
08-21-2005, 07:23 PM
Harrad,

Whoops, sorry about that! No, my thought on the pencil drawing is that I rather like it as is ~ I agree, filling in the bkgrd entirely with black is rather overkill. Plus, most folks don't need practice filling in a bkgrd, but learning how to construct the figure, so I would always suggest spending more time on that! :)

~Rebeccak

pushav
08-21-2005, 07:26 PM
yippie number 2! I think thoose are better poses than in the other workshop. I'll post some thing soon.

Rebeccak
08-21-2005, 07:28 PM
Pushav,

Schweet. Just watch the spam this time 'round. :)

If your popularity begins to swell (and along with it your head, lol!) Just remember that you are more than welcome to create a tutorial on the main Anatomy forum in the format I previously described. :)

Looking forward to seeing your work, pushav! ;)

~Rebeccak

pushav
08-21-2005, 07:58 PM
Rebecca- Spam? I have never heard of this word. (Just kidding). Lol. Lets see how big my head can get this time. 30in, 40in, 50in. Lol!
Anyway I left mistakes in my drawing for you guys to find.
It is kind of like "where's Waldo" (Yeah I took you guys wayback on that one lol.)
I made this around noon but had to cut my lawn then I finished it now. (it is a warmup 1st pic of the day)

Materials used printer paper and my brand new papermat clickster brand .07 pencil (Lol using crude technology) Hopefully my scan is clear this time.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/pushav/sketches/lifedrawing1pose3.jpg

Oh boy school starts tommorow:twisted: (that means more drawing when the professor is giving lectures::thumbsup:

Rebeccak
08-21-2005, 08:06 PM
pushav,

I definitely like this one...that pushav style is balanced with more careful attention to detail than on your previous drawings, which I like. I think it would be cool to see a 'Paul Gauguin' style painting from you ~ not too crazy with the colors, but with some nice subtle, warm grayish reds, greens, oranges, and blues might be nice ~ with the focus on VALUES, of course!

I think this drawing has a nice emotional quality to it lacking in your other pieces. Plans for a painting? :)

...And you're right, it's often true that better poses (or poses which artists better like) elicit better drawings/paintings... :)

~Rebeccak

pushav
08-21-2005, 08:14 PM
Rebecca- Ctrl+t new tab (mozilla) Lol I just checked out his work. the work of Paul Gauguin. His colors are vivid but that goes with the tropical settings of his paintings. I am more of a Mucha fan along with Brian Stelfreeze. Thanks for the Refence though. I guess that you did not see my perspective mistake rebbecca lol.
That means another drawing soon.

Rebeccak
08-21-2005, 09:33 PM
Ok, this is so far a bit s*****, but I will post it anyway ~ default.rol / Mike has subtly kicked my a** into posting more work (yes, thanks a lot, Mike, I don't have anything else to do, lol! ;)) so here goes! :) WIP, of course.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/Open%20Figure%20DrawingWkshp_002/1st_pass_small.jpg

~Rebeccak

pushav
08-21-2005, 09:55 PM
Yay I can crit the teacher now! Finally.

Here we go.

1. Her forearm in bigger than her biceps
2. the bottom of her ribcage should be sticking out more.
3 her right leg should be raise more.
4. too much of the underside of her back is shown.

Hopefully that helps.:thumbsup: Lol no spam this time but a helpful crit.

And please post more of your drawings.

default-rol
08-21-2005, 10:38 PM
default.rol / Mike has subtly kicked my a** into posting more work (yes, thanks a lot, Mike, I don't have anything else to do, lol! ;))

~Rebeccak

I'm impressed Rebecca ~

Good for the timeframe, but I'm not buying the foreshortening on her right forearm just now. I know you haven't rendered it yet, but (to me at least) the linework isn't reading right...

You will have to wait for my first go as instead of doing anything tonight I got sucked into the new football (soccer to American readers) season highlights from the weekend action. Tomorrow though, I promise... :)

Rebeccak
08-21-2005, 10:41 PM
Lol, you give and give, then at the first opportunity, they try to eat you!! Hahahahaha! I will try harder for my next update. :)

~Rebeccak

Zoontjens
08-22-2005, 12:35 AM
Sorry Rebecca I posted in the opening thread...could you move the reply to here?

Anyway, this is my sketch...
http://fotorack.wickedminds.biz/images/zoontjens/woman1enhance.jpg

Zoontjens
08-22-2005, 12:45 AM
Actually i'd like to crit the teacher too :twisted:

I don't know whether or not you meant to exagerrate the anatomy, but it kinda makes the (pretty) woman look dried out...like she's been in that pose for a week :) but in some other drawings of you it turns out great.

My drawing almost shows the opposite i know, but that's due to a bad scanner...there's more subtlety in the real sketch.

pushav
08-22-2005, 12:51 AM
Crit the teacher time lol!

Zoontjens- The only clear problem I see is that the woman needs more of an arch in her back. other wise it is nice. Is that pencil?

Oh yeah Rebecca, what types of pencils are you sketching with? I need a pencil like that.

Noiram
08-22-2005, 01:40 AM
heres my attempt at the first photo about 1 hour

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v672/Tranoiram/Cgant3.jpg

stipick_S
08-22-2005, 02:32 AM
Zoontjens:

I like this sketch. I am not sure how much time you put into this. I am going to assume you didn't sink 12 hours into it. I am not saying this to be insulting . It is actually a lead up to my compliment. I think that considiering the amount of time this thread has been available and the speedy response by you, that your interpretation of the photograph is quite nice. I have to say I really appreciate your line qaulity. it is not a photoreal rendering
( it doesnt have to be) and I think you accomplished what you set out to do.

Rebbecca: I can say that appreciate your stylistic approach to drawing anatomy. You scream hogarth!! Which I think is great. Don't people have the same crits. regarding Michealangelo's women? Your style is pleasing to the eye and very dynamic but probably doesn't do your talent justice when i it is in the working state or viewed at such a small scale. I wish my screen was 18"x24"! I agree with default.rol in regards to the forearm but then again since it has yet to be rendered I wonder if those are temporary gesture marks....

GJ. guys
Shaun

P.S. Please tell Mr. Ly that this set is outstanding. very dynamic but elegant.

Rebeccak
08-22-2005, 02:51 AM
stipick_S,

Woo! Defense! :) (Hi-fives stipick_S)! ;)

Thanks for the words of defense ~ shakes stick at default.rol / Mike. :scream: Just kidding, lol! :) No, I was just telling default.rol / Mike that I am pleasantly surprised at how little offense I take at being critiqued. I never considered myself beyond critique in the first place, and it is nice to get a kick in the pants, as my ability level has rather plateaued ~ and without honest feedback (which frankly, I have not gotten much since school, as heretofore my drawings had been hiding in my closet, under the bed, and under the couch) ~ so it's actually quite nice to get some honest commentary. I was not lying when I said that for every 'good' drawing I created, there were 7-10 'bad' ones just waiting for the landfill. I would not have posted this WIP frankly were it not for the fact that everyone else here has been willing to share their trial and errors freely, and it is not fair for me not to do the same, as Mike pointed out to me (yeah, thanks, Mike! ;)) ~ hence, you are seeing me without makeup, lol! :)

Enough about me. Thanks to everyone for the crits. :)

Zoontjens,

I love your pencil style! The one crit I would have would be that the back of her head needs a lot more volume. Currently she is suffering from encephalitis. ;) But I really love the rest of the piece, and I really hope to see more of your work on the forum! :)

Noiram,

I like the mood of this piece. My crit would be to try a second one and try to fit the whole figure in ~ I think her pose is great, and her feet and ankles are crucial to its success. I had to go out today and buy a giant newsprint pad, lol, as my tendency is to draw really large ~ I really like details, and with the way I sharpen my pencil, I can only get so much detail when working small.

Are you considering doing a digital painting? I think this is a great pose which warrants such a treatment should you have the time. Good luck, and I hope to see more of your posts!

Great to see stuff so early in the game! Rock on, guys! :)

~Rebeccak

Rebeccak
08-22-2005, 03:45 AM
Slight update, CU:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/Open%20Figure%20DrawingWkshp_002/2nd-pass_partial_small.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/Open%20Figure%20DrawingWkshp_002/3rd-pass_full_small.jpg

~Rebeccak

Zoontjens
08-22-2005, 07:14 AM
Hey!

I is back again.
The sketch was done in 20 minutes at 4PM here in Holland (in the middle of the night:)) now i'm at work again drinking coffee coffee and more coffee...and yes, with a simple pencil.

anyway, thanks. Agree on the head and the back, I just did not evaluate the sketch, immediately scanned it. But there are always a few of these big flaws, when it comes to anatomy...that's why I'm here! And no, I did not really go photorealistic indeed. But it was no conscious choice, this is more my style I think (variable line thickness etc.) coming from my industrial design education. When drawing people for design drawings clarity is a big issue. Therefore outlines are important, of course. Next time I'll try photorealism!

Cheers,Ralph

zhuzhu
08-22-2005, 08:08 AM
still pencil on sketchbook, tough pose catch this time...

http://usera.imagecave.com/zhuzhu/2ofd01.jpg

default-rol
08-22-2005, 12:15 PM
Here we go - my first blast at one of the new poses -

http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/8847/stage1lineartalt14pb.jpg

Around 30 - 40 minutes in Painter. This one might well become a painting once I have adjusted a few things, (like her small head, lol!)

MIKE

Harrad
08-22-2005, 12:22 PM
Rebecca I've done my digital paint version of my sketch, but its on my other computer at the moment (with out the internet). I'll post it later today.

Just a little bit of crit from me on the work posted so far...

Pushav - I really like the lower half of your drawing, the stomack and legs are really good. They have a really good line to them. And your feet are much better than mine! lol I think where the toes go down then back up shows the form better. The breast seems a little big and to the side, the crease lines need to be half way from her nipple to her arm pit. I think that would make the flow a lot better and the whole body would be really good. Theres something about the face that doesn't look quiet right... i think it might be her eyes, they look painted on, i think if you made them dark with a highlight would really make them pop!

Zootjens - 20mins! thats well good. The face and neck look really good, i find it hard to draw face's from the side. Her right breast seems a bit too pointy. I like the volume that you've got in the left leg, but her right leg is way too small. I know what you mean about the scanner losing the subtleys.

Noiram - Love the shading on the legs, shows a realy sence of volume and muscle. Ie, the subtle shadow showing the bulge of the calf (Gastrocnemius). Its a shame that the right arm isn't as good as the legs, it almost looks broken. Its mainly becasue of the dark line that runs on the underside of the arm, this needs to flow (slightly outwards). Other than that i really like this picture, has a nice mood.

Rebeccak - I aggree with Zootjens a bit in that you've made a pretty woman in to a 'muscle freak' (lol). At first i didn't like it, but I really love your quality of line and the way that you show volume... Then i was thinking thats what arts about anyways, it doesn't need to look exactley like what your drawing... it more the representaion of it... anyways... i now like it! :D Bit hard to crit in its WIP state, other that the arm that the others have poited out, but i'm sure you'll fix that when you come to render it.

Zhuzhu - Are you finished? (not head or left arm?) Really good picture, just a shame that you left the head and arm out. Good use of shading, and yet another FOOT thats better than mine! lol

Default.rol - Really nice line work, good form and volume, Can't see anything really wrong with it apart from the head (but you said that). Be nice to see this turned into a painting. Really good so far!

Pshygon
08-22-2005, 12:47 PM
wow great place to learn and practice

Rebeccak
08-22-2005, 01:21 PM
Harrad,

Thanks for your thoughts! :)

zhuzhu,

Good to see you back!

default.rol / Mike,

Doin' me proud! :thumbsup: My boy! *Sniffs* :scream:

~Rebeccak

Llynna
08-22-2005, 02:48 PM
@zhuzhu: great sketch, very inspiring. hopefully we will see more :)

@default.rol: i would try to do something about her breasts too ;) they look a bit hm... not very esthetic. i am really curious how this is going to turn out

@rebecca: thank you for your concern, but i had just some annoying checkups to be done. the female lineof my family is suffering from epilepsy, so those have to be done on a regular basis.
anyway, back to the topic. i did this last nichgt and today and am qute fond of it, especially about the foot (i did it^^).

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b269/Llynna/0044Kopie.jpg

default-rol
08-22-2005, 04:00 PM
@default.rol: i would try to do something about her breasts too ;) they look a bit hm... not very esthetic. i am really curious how this is going to turn out

Take another look at the breasts, check!:D Will take another look at those when I do the head. Thank you for the feedback! :)

Like your pic - is it going to become a (full colour) painting too? Like your Birdqueen piece?

MIKE

Rebeccak
08-22-2005, 04:03 PM
Llynna,

Great work so far, her right leg is looking fantastic, especially the foot! Makes me eager to start painting, darn job! *grumble grumble*. :)

Her rib's a bit pointy, but that's an easy fix. What're your plans for the bkgrd? :)

This is going to be another great thread! It's great to see all the hard work already! :thumbsup:

~Rebeccak

Llynna
08-22-2005, 04:22 PM
@default.rol: yeah i am going for a full colour piece, i am doing the detailing and texturing for the skin now and i have to figure out how i get the colour on the greyscale (never did it this way before). and do not remind me on the birdqueen..... i am loosing my nerves over her... i think she will never be complited^^

@rebecca:thank you for your nice words :)

currently i am thinking about the background and such... but i haven`t finished yet ;)

Rebeccak
08-22-2005, 04:25 PM
Lynna,

One good way to 'get color on grayscale' is to create a new layer above your grayscale image and paint with the color of your choice. Set the blending mode of that layer to "Color" and you will see magical stuff happen. :) Experiment with different blending modes on this Color layer ~ they work better or worse depending on what layer they are on top of.

Make sure to keep your grayscale imagery separate.

Good luck! :)

~Rebeccak

Lemog
08-22-2005, 04:30 PM
Llynna,
congratulations... very impressive work... leg and foot :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I've planed to do something tonight... but I'm a little bit afraid by your skill. Ahahahahahah...
Very good exemple of the good way...

But the most important is to participate, no ? :)
Then, I will try nevertheless...

seeya :scream:
(now, I'm obliged to take part :D )

Rebeccak
08-22-2005, 04:32 PM
Here is a really fast example of using Color mode on a separate layer over grayscale...pardon my early stage drawing, *ahem*... :)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/Open%20Figure%20DrawingWkshp_002/fast-example.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/Open%20Figure%20DrawingWkshp_002/fast-example-2.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/Open%20Figure%20DrawingWkshp_002/fast-example-3.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/Open%20Figure%20DrawingWkshp_002/fast-example-11.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/Open%20Figure%20DrawingWkshp_002/fast-example-12.jpg

EDIT: Erm, a slightly less embarrassing example...

Orange (in this case, just a fast choice) goes on the layer called "Blending Mode", and that layer has been set to "Color". As you prolly know, there are many other Blending Modes which you can toggle thru by pressing Shift + "=" while on the layer of your choice.

Hope this helps! Stahlberg has a much more in-depth demo of this process on his website, Android Blues, I believe?

Here is the link to his tutorial. (http://www.androidblues.com/JealousyStepbystep/jealousystep.html) Erilaz pointed out his tutorials on the Art Theories forum. :)

~Rebeccak

Llynna
08-22-2005, 05:03 PM
@rebecca: thank you for your tip :). i had a look ad stahlbergs tuts, i think i have a rough idea now ;)

@lemog: don't make me blush :) but i thank you for your kind words. post whenever and whatever you can... it helped me a lot :thumbsup:

default-rol
08-22-2005, 07:20 PM
O.K, I worked my line drawing up into a prep study for the first pose. This piece is not going to be my digital painting, its just a "look and feel" mock up for something (hopefully) far more substantial, (hence the line art is still visable etc.)

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/144/stage2prepstudy9gy.jpg

Around 2 1/4 hours in PS.

I will be trying it in Painter too...

MIKE

pushav
08-22-2005, 07:34 PM
Llynna-Nice greyscaling. Was acrylic smudge used?

Rebecca- Did you see what I was talking about on the back of the female?

*Trying to relax after first day of school lol*

Good work everyone.

Now time to break in my new sketchpad.

Rebeccak
08-22-2005, 07:35 PM
default.rol / Mike,

Ah, very nice, my friend, very nice! :) The overall pose looks very natural, and the little kinks here and there will be easy enough to tweak as you paint this 'for real'. :)

One minor suggestion is that her forehead is a bit long ~ but, I will leave you to your own devices, as I know you're smart enough to figure these things out. ;)

Schweet! Thanks for posting this! :)

~Rebeccak

pushav
08-22-2005, 08:52 PM
Finally I finished this warmup sketch.I left some problems for you guys to find. I just had to break in my new sketchpad.

I used .05 pentel and sketchpaper. Snadford color leads. (Color erase kind) 15 mins.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/pushav/sketches/lifedrawing1pose4jpg.jpg

Harrad- Thanks for the crit!

Crits?

Lemog
08-22-2005, 09:10 PM
Well... there's my first test here... In fact, my second work with Painter, I must learn more cause that don't totally agree me... and in particulary feet and hands... the most difficult for me...
I don't have a big skill of numeric painting... and I think my size of work is too small (2640 pixels) ?, hard to really detailed feet and hands for me. Next time, I will try with a bigger size.

For the technic used : in Painter, I begin to draw basicly the edges with various colors. And for each colors, I select 4 or 5 different ranges, and I paint coarsely some larges touches of colors, which I standardize with the palette knife. For the completions, I prefer to use Photoshop for the moment, I know it better :)

First part, with Painter : 1 1/2 hours

http://lemog.club.fr/wip/opdw1_600.jpg

And second part : 1/2 hour in Photoshop

http://lemog.club.fr/wip/opdw2_600.jpg

I hope to have time to do more exercices here... finally, very funny (thanks to RebeccaK)... that push to learn :thumbsup:

pushav
08-22-2005, 09:16 PM
Lemog- drawing hands and feet are at times hard. Usually I take the disney animator's approach about draw 4 fingers or toes and draw a tiny nub at the end to represent another toe or finger. And when drawing fingers, I tend to bend the finger in 2 places. I is an excellent trick. (I learned this from artists on the little mermaid.)

I may make a tutorial on it one day if my school schedule permits. Lol.

Rebeccak
08-22-2005, 09:17 PM
Lemog,

Second work with Painter?? Really??!! You have some envious people here. :) Great job! I really think you nailed the proportions, and I particularly like the color palette of your second piece! Glad you are participating in the OFDW 002! :thumbsup:

I like the confident linework around her right thigh ~ that's a really nice, calligraphic stroke. The only thing I would say right now is that your edges look a bit ragged ~ so I would recommend working larger next time, and everyone should make sure to work at a large resolution, like 300 dpi, if they would like to print their pieces eventually.

Great work! Do you plan to tackle the second pose? :)

~Rebeccak

PS ~ Really cool font, too!! :)

default-rol
08-22-2005, 09:31 PM
Lemog

For details such as hands and feet, have you ever tried copying the offending section into a new document, blowing it up to 200%/400% (depending on what you want to achieve) and detailing it there, copying that piece back into your main painting, then rescaling it down and re-calibrating it up to the original?

That can work. I'm seriously going to have to improve my painter skills, the program is so sooooooo beautiful when done well.... (I want to cry at my lack of ability with this program...)

MIKE

pushav
08-22-2005, 09:42 PM
Lemog

For details such as hands and feet, have you ever tried copying the offending section into a new document, blowing it up to 200%/400% (depending on what you want to achieve) and detailing it there, copying that piece back into your main painting, then rescaling it down and re-calibrating it up to the original?

That can work. I'm seriously going to have to improve my painter skills, the program is so sooooooo beautiful when done well.... (I want to cry at my lack of ability with this program...)

MIKE

Don't worry painter is simple it is kinda like photoshop. I use it the same way in my process. Better bushes like real paintbrushes. I like the acrylic brushes to get that old school feel like a frazetta painting.

The shortcut hotkey are just about the same
b-brush
[-decreases brush sizes
]-increases brush size
k-paintbucket fill

etc......

One thing that is really different is the opaccity levels. 10percent in painter is not 10percent in photoshop for example.

default-rol
08-22-2005, 09:55 PM
Don't worry painter is simple it is kinda like photoshop.

Painter....... is......... SIMPLE!!? <flatlines....> LOL! I bought the program around 3 months ago and have been trying it out with varying degrees of ineptitude ever since. :scream: I look at what can be done in it and it beats the pants off PS for this sort of work, (as the two product names suggest their intended audiences I think,) and I'm desperate to get to grips with it now

I have half decent PS knowledge, but (for me at least) PS is nothing like painter...

Cheers tho. :thumbsup:

MIKE

BrittanyRichardson
08-22-2005, 10:08 PM
Okay, here's mine. I spent a lot more time on it than I did on the last one. I'm fairly pleased with how it turned out, although I suck at doing drapery.

Done in Painter 9 ... I don't know how long it took... 6-10 hours? maybe. I lose track when painting.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/Brillustrator/002.jpg

pushav
08-22-2005, 10:11 PM
Okay, here's mine. I spent a lot more time on it than I did on the last one. I'm fairly pleased with how it turned out, although I suck at doing drapery.

Done in Painter 9 ... I don't know how long it took... 6-10 hours? maybe. I lose track when painting.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/Brillustrator/002.jpg

Hmm.........:bounce::buttrock::applause::drool::bowdown:
Real nice. I liked how you added your own spin on the colors.
Could you please make a tutorial one day:deal:

BrittanyRichardson
08-22-2005, 10:23 PM
Wow, thanks, Pushav :D

I guess I could make a tutorial. The thing is, I'm not very methodical. It's usually just: a little bit of color here... some more over there.. etc. There's thought behind it, but it's all so very random, I don't know if I could describe it in steps. :shrug: maybe sometime, who knows :)
I still have a lot to learn.

pushav
08-22-2005, 10:26 PM
You should try it. You might like it. That is a nice pic along with that beauty and the beast one you made.

Rebeccak
08-22-2005, 10:43 PM
-Brittany-,

Amazing work!!! This will definitely be going into the "Best of" section when I get around to it...Awesome job!!! :bounce:

~Rebeccak

Zoontjens
08-22-2005, 10:52 PM
Some thoughts of a non-authority :)

Brittany: mighty great...best work here I think. although i find the skintones contrasting a lot ..the beige and the pink do not blend in very nicely I think. the pink should be a little cooler i think, now it's like she spilled hot water all over her body...could be my monitor anyway, crappy machinery here...
(And about not being methodical: chaos breeds life, when order breeds habit.--Henry Brooks Adams)

also love Lemog's work esp. with blue background. Although i crave a more detailed face! the eye is sucked to it, but when it arrives it is disappointed by vagueness..

cheers!

allenatl
08-22-2005, 10:58 PM
Wow, Brittany, that's just....wow! I was scrolling down the page and just came to a dead stop when I got to your painting. This one jumps off the page. Great work!

dbclemons
08-22-2005, 11:28 PM
Brittany, I'll join in on the praise for that painting. It's quite lovely. I like your personal take on the contrast and how you've exaggerated some of the bone angles.

Some suggestions: there are a few spots of shading I would re-think, like at the left clavicle and right ankle. Consider toning them down a bit.
The shape of her right breast is shaped a bit differently than how you've drawn it.
There's a bit of a "pinkness" to her left calf that seems out of place with the rest of her coloring.
Looks like she lost an arm under that right sleeve. It should have a bit more volume to it.
Her left arm bends back more, and the forward joint seems to push forward rather than curve back.

I love how you've rendered her hair, and the cloth is very well done.

Thanks for sharing it with us.
-David

Rebeccak
08-22-2005, 11:38 PM
Ok, I had better jump in the mix here, or I will just spend the rest of my days ogling everyone else's work! :)

Rough beginnings...

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/Open%20Figure%20DrawingWkshp_002/RK_small_1.jpg

~Rebeccak

BrittanyRichardson
08-22-2005, 11:42 PM
-Brittany-,

Amazing work!!! This will definitely be going into the "Best of" section when I get around to it...Awesome job!!! :bounce:

~Rebeccak

Oh cool, thanks so much! :bounce:

And I want to thank you, Rebeccak, for creating these threads and helping us improve our figure drawing skills. It's certainly motivated me to work hard at it.

Rebeccak
08-22-2005, 11:58 PM
-Brittany-,

Awesome, you are most certainly welcome! I think the inspiration I'm receiving in return is more than thanks enough *tears running in rivulets down cheeks and collecting in Hallmark jar*, lol! :)

No, I really needed the motivation myself, and this forum has given me the kick in the butt I've needed for ages, and which I think we've all been needing on some level, so I am happy to be able, along with Hony Ly, to facilitate this cool thread series...without Hong's photos, there'd be no OFDW, so I am really thrilled he was willing to supply us with his excellent photo collection.

Rock on, guys! :)

And for those of you still lurking in the shadows, afraid to post your work...I see you. ;)

~Rebeccak

pushav
08-23-2005, 12:18 AM
I posted work lol. I'l try to post more when I am "fresh"

Rebeccak
08-23-2005, 12:33 AM
Small update...just blocking in the shapes the old fashioned way. :)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/Open%20Figure%20DrawingWkshp_002/RK_small_3.jpg

~Rebeccak

Psst ~ pushav ~ I'm going the distance. I'm going for...speed. ;)

pushav
08-23-2005, 12:44 AM
to Rebecca-I want to see you finish this greyscale all the way to colors. I wanna se what you can do:thumbsup:

Psst~Rebecca~go for the gold! not bronze nor silver but gold!

Dark3D
08-23-2005, 03:52 AM
Hello, heres my try. Sorry I can never chat to much, only have alittle spare time.
SketchBook Pro on a Tablet PC - 35min.

http://www.dark3d.com/Gallery/images/page_Pose4.jpg

Lemog
08-23-2005, 06:28 AM
pushav -> thanks for the tips... I'm waiting your tutorial :thumbsup:

rebeccak -> second work with painter, yes (my first : http://lemog.free.fr/lemog_v5/albums/lemog/2d/coco800.jpg )... but I think that the most difficult is not to learn a new tool, but really to feel anatomic proportions and for sure, transcribe them... There's many years, I stop traditional drawing or oil painting for 3d... but at this time, my problems were the same about foot and hands.
The second pose... I don't have a lot of time, but it's finally a real pleasure... I can certainly find a couple of hours. I don't know if many drawer are in the same case than me, I always have the impression that I wouldn't manage to finish something acceptable, so much they's dreadful and failed.

About your work... Nice update... I like your precision and you have much patience. I'm waiting the next steps impatiently. :)

default.rol -> good idea you have... In fact, for the moment, I don't have the same feeling in Painter than in Photoshop... and things which are logical seem less for me in Painter... The principal problem to trait these parts in bigger size will certainly to have to much contrast of brush size I think. For the next one, I will adopt a bigger size for the entire work.

pushav 2 -> "painter is simple it is kinda like photoshop"... perhaps I say... but when we used Photoshop for several years, the philosophy of Painter seems really very different and very diverting. But for really drawing, I'm conscious that Painter is the incoutournable tool , even if Photoshop allows to carry out beautiful pictures

-Brittany- -> Respect... another good example of what I like and which I would like to be able to carry out one day. I have only one word to say, cheer!

I'm okay with pushav... the tutorial is essential. And I can say why...I'm not very methodical. It's usually just: a little bit of color here... some more over there.. etc. I've the same "method", but without the same "result" :scream: hahahahaha

Zoontjens -> me too, I'm disappointed by vagueness... maybe to so much work.. but I also try to not spend too much hours. I acknowledge that it's not always easy to find the good compromise.

Dark3D -> What can I say... for 35min, is fantastic... :beer:

Noiram
08-23-2005, 02:58 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v672/Tranoiram/Cgfig04.jpgthanks for the crits harrad and rebeccak
default.rol - good line work but your proportions need some tweaking, consider the front leg.
brittany- great work!!
zhuzhu-nice rendering in the lower body, really like the foot, though the solid outline flattens the image.
dark3d-good start but watch some of your proportions.
rebeccak-the movement in your drawings breath life. I am interested to see how your painted progress.

Rebeccak
08-23-2005, 03:28 PM
Dark3D,

Glad to see you back! I would say that you should slow down a bit, and find some of the more subtle articulations of her figure ~ tho I know you're short on time, so I understand! :)

Lemog,

Thanks for your comments! I am impatiently waiting, too! ;)

Noiram,

Thank you! :) Nice work so far! I like the approach you're taking to this...what's the medium? Painter, or traditional? I think it's kind of cool that I can't tell! :) I would suggest adding more darks so that you can get a greater range of values. Looking forward to seeing your progress! :)

~

Gah! Is the website slow today? I think maybe with everyone returning to school, perhaps they're hitting the site en masse...I can barely surf! :eek:

:)

~Rebeccak

pushav
08-23-2005, 07:57 PM
Good stuff in here.
Just got off from school. So tired lol. But I must still post.
*REACHES FOR PENCIL WITH DROOPY EYES*

Lemog- Are you becoming a "Pusha V-ite" I'll try on that tutorial.

*Falls asleep into a deep nap....maybe*:surprised

Llynna
08-24-2005, 01:31 AM
well, here is some update :) i am planning on making here an succubus because with those legs you can definetly be not human ;)

@brittany: wow, really amazing sketch; but i would really lower amount of pink

@rebecca: keep it coming teacher :) i am curious how this is going to turn out

dbclemons
08-24-2005, 01:42 AM
Adding mine to the mix. It's about a 30 minute sketch in ink on bristol @ 8x10". The red is a bit brighter here than in the actual drawing. Will do another full figure pose when time permits.

http://www.dbclemons.com/tutorials/wkshp02_02A.JPG
-David

Rebeccak
08-24-2005, 02:10 AM
Llynna,

I'm sorry, I can't see your post from home (my dumb computer, sorry!) but I will take a look at it tomorrow. :)

dbclemons,

Nice work so far! Do you have enough paper there to draw the legs as well? Looking forward to more posts! :)

~Rebeccak

Rebeccak
08-24-2005, 03:31 AM
Gah! Not much time today, but little bit o' progress...the lower body is still in gray chunks, and too embarrassing to show as yet... :)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/Open%20Figure%20DrawingWkshp_002/lil-progress_2.jpg

~Rebeccak

flaeticia
08-24-2005, 04:15 AM
Hello to all ! :scream:
Before leaving for halydays, I wanted to show you my participation :
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/vfx.infographia/painter_challenge_final600.jpg
here is!
Its on painter, I dont know exactly how long it took me, but I think that turns around 2 / 3 hours !!

Bye ! enjoy u like it :D

Kdeezy
08-24-2005, 04:28 AM
heres my poor attempt, i think maybe 2-3 hours after many failed attempts at colouring it.

[img=http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/2041/figuredrawing028nu.th.jpg] (http://img389.imageshack.us/my.php?image=figuredrawing028nu.jpg)

Rebeccak
08-24-2005, 04:31 AM
flaeticia,

Welcome to the forum! :) I like this painterly approach, particularly in the bkgrd...the proportions are really nice ~ tho I think the leg has grown a bit, tho this is a particularly difficult pose proportionally, lol! ~ I have changed the darn leg more times than I can count, and it's still not there yet! :)

I like your color scheme and the face and arms are particularly well~rendered. Thank you for posting this, and I hope you enjoy your vacation! :)

Kdeezy,

Welcome to the forum also! :) This is not a poor attempt at all, but merely a WIP, as it should be. :)

I think what I would suggest is take the focus off of the bkgrd by just filling it with a neutral, mid gray or grayish~brown layer. The focus of the workshop is the figure, and you want to simplify things as much as possible from the get~go.

I would also begin to focus on blending a bit ~ and I recommend rotating the canvas 90 degrees clockwise to work on the face, as it makes things infinitely easier!

If you start to get lost when painting, go back into a mentality of drawing, and sketch with black or dark grey lines areas which have gotten confusing (for example, the hands and face). Don't get overwhelmed with color and think that there is no recourse ~ the beauty of working digitally is that you can always go over and correct what you've done. :)

Good luck with this, and definitely post your updates! :)

~Rebeccak

Rebeccak
08-24-2005, 04:42 AM
Ok, it's a long, long way from the finish line, but at least it's a bit more safe for showing the full figure...

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/Open%20Figure%20DrawingWkshp_002/lil-progress_3.jpg

~Rebeccak

Lemog
08-24-2005, 08:23 AM
Noiram -> really good pic... I like a lot you're way and your original style :thumbsup:

Pushav -> Thanks to try a tutorial... :bounce:

dbclemons -> You can be proud... I like this simple sketch... just a minor thing disturb me... (I'm not a specialist), the front part of the left arm... but I'm sure that will be better with the future version, on a larger paper sheet. :scream: hahaha

flaeticia -> as I had said you before you post here, you can really be proud of your realization, especially for a beginer with Painter.

Good holidays to you, we're waiting your come back for an another picture... :wavey:

RebeccaK -> that come really good... just the muscle of the calf of the left leg which seems a little painful. The road is long, but seems good. :)

I began the second image yesterday evening. And I listened the councils, a large size allows me to put details much more easily (8000 pixels of large).

But it's also much longer. Here where I'm after 2 hours of work. :banghead:

For the moment... the hand appears a little coarse, no ? but remain me much work I think...

http://lemog.club.fr/wip/opdw3_600.jpg

http://lemog.club.fr/wip/opdw4_600.jpg
I will try to finish the image this evening. Seeya :beer:

PSR
08-24-2005, 10:11 AM
So many posts already.

Brittany, marvellous piece of work. May I suggest though, that the figure could be integrated better with the background. You know, make better sense of the surface she's resting on for example. Also, her left kneecap may need a little adjustment.

Noiram, I really like the graphic style and the colours in this piece.

Lemog, Very nice. The stark contrast of the flat black, against the the warm pale flesh of the figure, works very well imo. The hand, thumb and little finger look the wrong way round.

Rebeccak, I love the sense of rhythm you've found, very nice sensation of torsion.

Well here's my mornings effort. Although I'm mildly embarrassed to show it after seeing the quality of work already up.

Rebeccak
08-24-2005, 11:04 AM
Lemog,

Great work so far! Can't wait to see how this turns out! :)

Wow! That is one awesome webpage you've got there! :thumbsup: Lol, Lemog is a great texture site...you're not responsible for it, are you??? :eek:

PSR,

Keep going with this! :) I would recommend using a smaller brush, or, if your image size is too small, increasing it to accomodate smaller brush strokes.

I think the problem you are running into is that the values on the figure are all too light, and so you can't go lighter to define form, and you are afraid to go darker. To help you see the Values of the real figure, I would suggest Desaturating (a copy of) the photograph and noticing how DARK some of the values in her skin are. We often think that someone with light skin has light values everywhere, but look how dark her feet are in comparison to her shoulder ~ you will see what I mean.

Good work so far, and looking forward to your update! :)

~Rebeccak

dbclemons
08-24-2005, 11:24 AM
dbclemons,

Nice work so far! Do you have enough paper there to draw the legs as well? Looking forward to more posts! :)

~Rebeccak

Here's one of them. Now if I can just find another piece of paper... :P

http://www.dbclemons.com/tutorials/wkshp02_02RL.JPG

-DBC

Llynna
08-24-2005, 11:33 AM
here we go :bounce:

@lemog: wow... i think you are on a really good way! the hand is really annoying........ i spend approximatly 2 hours on it (felling a bit ashamed -.-.. im so slow). so go for it^^

@rebecca: this is really coming along nicely :) but i have one suggestion: isn't the upper part of the body a little bit tooo long? plus it looks a little bit like she has a sallow back. no office ment, just my 2 cents after getting out of bed (you there in the us are not good for my sleeprhythm ;) just kidding though)

i think i will move my painting to the wip section, so i don't spam in this thread when it comes to background and such...... as you can see, i gave her another head and slightly different pose for it. she is resting on a white marble altar and there is going to be a mirror wich reflects a little bit of the original succubus form. i think i will give here some hints of it in the real form as well. all comments and critiqus are welcome :)

http://666kb.com/i/10pf8nzl2u22o.jpg

Rebeccak
08-24-2005, 12:06 PM
Llynna,

WOW!!! Awesome!!! :) I can't wait to see this finished...two suggestions for the pedestal texture...burl...wood... :scream:

Great job so far, can't wait to see where this goes!!! :thumbsup:

~Rebeccak

BrittanyRichardson
08-24-2005, 01:09 PM
awesome, Llynna! :thumbsup:

Very creative spin for this thread.
I, too, look forward to seeing this one completed.

Kdeezy
08-24-2005, 05:44 PM
thanks alot for the input Rebecca, i can never get the colouring and blending down pat. the one i posted was my 3rd attempt at colouring it and even then it wasnt what i expected.

Either way i should be practicing more and this thread well thank god for this thread lol cause atleast now there is some fun / challenge and inspiration from others works.

Again i appreciate the input.

pushav
08-24-2005, 07:36 PM
Lemog-That is awesome What type of brush did you use?

Llynna-Nice work!

I save the best for last

Rebecca- :arteest::arteest::bowdown::bowdown::drool:
Lol nice work!

Arctis
08-24-2005, 09:07 PM
Here's my attempt to photo 2
Sorry if the black "dress" is bad rendered, but I printed the pict to do it, and on the print, it looks all black...

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/Arctis/Nu1.jpg

allenatl
08-24-2005, 09:08 PM
Finally got started on this one. Learning a lot just from seeing everyone else's work and
reading all the comments here.

http://www.allen3d.com/ac_recline1.jpg

tuzz
08-24-2005, 09:26 PM
hi,
first theres a really high level and great work in here.
with that said i await your crits on my piece :)

i did this as a sketch and to see if i can get the proportions right. if you guys think i did okay then i will transfer this into a clean lineart and try some shading because i need some serious exercise in that area ;)

thanks in advance
done in painter 15mins ca. (liquidink)

edit: just noticed: i forgot the left foot :argh: and she looks too thin....yeah but i first wanna see what else is wrong ;)

http://www.holgerfrohloff.de/images/figure_workshop_1.jpg

jl034090
08-24-2005, 09:59 PM
Here's my attempt at the second pose done in traditional watercolor.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b125/james2/figuredrawing3.jpg
James

Rebeccak
08-24-2005, 10:06 PM
jl034090,

Wow, kudos for using watercolor, the most notoriously difficult medium on the planet to use (apart from gouache)!!! I really like the subtle blue color, and overall this is a really nice piece ~ can you go back in to add a few touches of darker value here and there to kind of offset the whole piece? Do you plan on editing it digitally as well? Great job so far! :)

~Rebeccak

Rebeccak
08-24-2005, 10:18 PM
Gah, didn't see the other posts! :)

Arctis,

Welcome to the thread! Thanks for posting. :) I really like your line quality, and the drawing you've done is really nice! I think there's something a bit funny in the face, which doesn't feel as confidently drawn as the torso, which is really, really nice. The upper part of her cheek should curve in beneath her eye, and instead it's doing something a little funny, with the nose being a bit misplaced. I would also say to study the ankle area of her right leg a bit more ~ right now her foot looks a bit stuck on, which takes away from the really great naturalistic thing you've got going on with the torso and upper leg. Great job so far ~ planning to paint? :)

allenatl,

Really beautiful start to this piece! :) No real crits so far, I look forward to seeing where this goes... :)

tuzz,

Great to see you here! Welcome to the thread. :) I think you have a nice start here. The main thing that I notice is that her lower right leg is too thick ~ double check these proportions against the photograph. One trick to try is to rotate both your image and the photo reference 90 degrees clockwise ~ this can sometimes help you to see mistakes (and correct angles) more clearly. It was much easier for me to paint the face this way than lying on it's side. :) Her arms are also a bit thick, so I would slim those a bit.

One trick to try is to either fill her in with the same color blue as your outline, or fill in the bkgrd with that blue, leaving the figure white. This will help you to see where the proper angles are, etc, and then you can just easily switch back and forth between blue and white (or whichever colors you prefer) to rough in her form. This is a particularly effective technique for seeing the positive and negative shapes in a really foreshortened pose such as this.

Good luck with this, and post your results! :)

~Rebeccak

Arctis
08-24-2005, 10:29 PM
Thanx for your reply, Rebecca.
I must confess I totally neglected the face, and in the pict coming below, I've done the same :/
Next time I'll take care more ; about the right leg, I totally agree. The angle isn't good and the foot too small.
I Feel like at school, it's hard, but necessary ;)

Here's the second one :

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/Arctis/Nu2.jpg

Rebeccak
08-24-2005, 10:35 PM
Arctis,

No problem! :) I'm noticing that with your work, in areas in which you are very confident, you are VERY confident ~ for instance, the foot in this piece is really nice, as well as the legs and torso. I think the problems you are encountering are with the face and arms ~ and this is pretty natural, as it's hard for any of us to get everything right in one go, particularly in a traditional medium ~ I always go thru 10 drawings before hitting something I like, lol. :)

I would suggest doing a drawing of JUST the face, or of JUST the face and arms ~ this will give you the chance to focus entirely on that area and not feel rushed to get the entire figure done. It seems you are really confident with most of the body but the face, so perhaps it's a good idea to do a portrait study of her face by rotating the photo 90 degrees clockwise, and drawing just her face first. I notice that the old masters frequently did this ~ on areas which are sort of worlds unto themselves, like faces, feet, and hands, they dedicated detailed studies to just these features in preparation for a larger work. Just a suggestion. :)

~Rebeccak

Arctis
08-24-2005, 11:34 PM
Thanx a lot for your precious advices.
I followed your proposition, taking more space to develop the face and hand.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/Arctis/visage01.jpg

Arctis
08-24-2005, 11:55 PM
sorry double post

Rebeccak
08-25-2005, 12:00 AM
Arctis,

Wow, damn that's fast! :thumbsup: The face looks really great, I would just say that the hand looks a bit large...it should be about the same size as just the face alone...but nice portrait! :)

~Rebeccak

Arctis
08-25-2005, 12:15 AM
You're right about the hand, and you're fast too !
Enough for me tonight (2am !), let's continue later. ;)

Rebeccak
08-25-2005, 12:23 AM
Arctis,

Lol, no problem! :)

PSR
08-25-2005, 01:30 AM
Here's an update to the previously posted piece. Working with smaller brushes, as suggested, and reduced the overall values somewhat. Working at higher res was much better, don't know why I didn't think of it myself.

Now I need to work out how to blend colours together effectively. I can't seem to make it happen with the smudge tool.

Many thanks.

Rebeccak
08-25-2005, 01:33 AM
PSR,

Wow, this is really looking great! And head and shoulders above the last version, so great job! :)

The only thing I would say at this point is to watch the thickness of her lower (hanging) leg~ ~ it will be pretty long, but also rather thinner than her upper leg in appearance.

But great job so far, :thumbsup: and pushav...any thoughts on the smudge tool? :)

~Rebeccak

PSR
08-25-2005, 01:48 AM
Still awake?

Thank you very much. It's quite a tricky pose all round, I really struggled a bit around the ribcage and abdomen. I'll have to take a look at the legs after the weekend. Too much work on.

I'm really enjoying the photoshop workout, and following the thread.

Cheers :)

Rebeccak
08-25-2005, 01:49 AM
Some progress... :)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/Open%20Figure%20DrawingWkshp_002/lil-progress_4.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/Open%20Figure%20DrawingWkshp_002/lil-progress_4_CU.jpg

CU...

~Rebeccak

Somhairle
08-25-2005, 03:41 AM
Wow guys, there has been some beautiful art posted on this thread! Kudos to everyone!

- Sam

Rebeccak
08-25-2005, 03:47 AM
Sam / Somhairle,

Hey, we miss seeing you on the forum! Hope all is well in your world. :)

BTW, you're in the SPOTLIGHT: Best of the Artistic Anatomy and Figurative Art Forum (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=267958)thread ~ the thread's still under construction, but definitely check it out! :)

Cheers!
~Rebeccak

Dark3D
08-25-2005, 03:57 AM
Hello All. Hereis my next try. Time A simson and half of king of the hill. SketchBook Pro.

http://www.dark3d.com/Gallery/images/page_Pose8.jpg

Rebeccak
08-25-2005, 04:07 AM
Dark3D,

Good to see your next post! :) I really like how the face is going...the linework and the painting are really nice! :)

One thing I notice about your drawing style (and it's one of the things I like) is that you tend to represent one side of a form really quickly, with a single or almost single stroke. I think it would be cool to see what would happen if you broke your fast, longer strokes into shorter, more descriptive strokes which give more detail to the form than you currently suggest. I really like your style, but I think it would be interesting if you tried sketching (as an experiment) with a new approach. Just my suggestion. :)

Great stuff! :)

~Rebeccak

Rebeccak
08-25-2005, 04:24 AM
A few changes...adjusted the leg, which was wonky...

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/Open%20Figure%20DrawingWkshp_002/lil-progress_5.jpg

~Rebeccak

Dark3D
08-25-2005, 04:42 AM
Dark3D,

Good to see your next post! :) I really like how the face is going...the linework and the painting are really nice! :)

One thing I notice about your drawing style (and it's one of the things I like) is that you tend to represent one side of a form really quickly, with a single or almost single stroke. I think it would be cool to see what would happen if you broke your fast, longer strokes into shorter, more descriptive strokes which give more detail to the form than you currently suggest. I really like your style, but I think it would be interesting if you tried sketching (as an experiment) with a new approach. Just my suggestion. :)

Great stuff! :)

~Rebeccak

Rebeccak - Thanks, I might try some some short strokes. I kind of have a tablet issue where as sorter slower strokes start to freak out the tablet digitizer and scribble around. It would be easier with pencil and paper with the Grip n' Tooth of the surface. I don't think I will be jumping backwards to that however. I will take your critique into consideration my next sketch and see what I can do. J

Rebeccak
08-25-2005, 04:49 AM
Dark3D,

Thanks for being a good sport! :) I understand about a tablet pc...I've tried to draw on one, and it's tougher than I thought it would be! I'm just hoping one day a tablet will be able to mimic in some ways paper...hmm, technology! Hope to see more of your work! :)

~Rebeccak

Lemog
08-25-2005, 07:22 AM
This thread is increasingly interesting, and increasingly instructive, a true pleasure. :buttrock:

PSR -> You're right... I will try to remake them, at the end, thank you.
About you're picture... I like this style, just one point disturb me, the contrast of details... some parts are very detailed, and other no... I prefer when exist a real unity of things. But it's only my taste, and that doesn't prevent me to find this picture very pleasant to look at.

Wow! That is one awesome webpage you've got there! Lol, Lemog is a great texture site...you're not responsible for it, are you??? Thanks Rebecca... you will make me blush :blush:, but finally yes, this website is really mine:beer: .

Pushav -> I only used 2 tools... the Dry Brush in first, and after, the Dry Palette Knife. It's very funny, I manage to have almost same the feelings as when I made oil painting, but my hands remain clean :arteest:.

Arctis -> Very good sketch... the only thing that I less like in this realization, it's her face. But I don't know exactly why. Perhaps it's because the shape of the nose, or the chin is ahead. But that doesn't remove of anything with quality and "le touché du crayon"... Bravo !

allenatl -> Whaouw... I'm waiting the continuation...

Tuzz -> Liquidink don't seem very easy to used... perhaps it preferable to work at the same time on edges and shades, rather than only on edges. Would that be used for better suggesting the forms, no ?

jl034090 -> yes... rebeccak have right... watercolor is a very hard art and don't permit to tweak easily when is done... then, congratulations...

Arctis 2 -> I've just see your next posts... I apologize about my first comment for the face... Now I know... thanks for post close up of the face... :bounce:

PSR 2 -> héhé... really better know.... the body starts to unify, very good !!

Rebeccak -> Some progress... but very good progress... just on thing about the face... the shade under the nose appears too strong, like a kind of moustache, and perhaps there's too much difference of size between the 2 eyebrows? The rest agree me.

Dark3D -> Really beautiful melting style... :thumbsup:

I hope to post the final picture nearly... remain me foot, background and some parts to tweak. Sorry... I don't have a lot of time to work on it.

http://lemog.club.fr/wip/opdw5_600.jpg

Rebeccak
08-25-2005, 11:11 AM
Lemog,

Thank you for all these great comments, it's great to get your feedback! :applause:

And wow, that leg is really starting to shape up!! :thumbsup:

~Rebeccak

Lemog
08-25-2005, 11:39 AM
Thank you for all these great comments, it's great to get your feedback!
You know, that changes me much of the 3d, it's good for my mind, a little like holidays (before the next CgTalk Challenge... :scream: hahahaha), but which would also make it possible to progress. :)
Then... thanks to you :thumbsup:

Arctis
08-25-2005, 11:47 AM
Hi everyone !

Lemog : thanks, nice to see a french dude ! Your painting is coming along very nicely, but take care about the attach of the right arm and the torso, just aside the breast : I think Rebecca caught the structure quite well.

Rebecca : you and lemog gave me the envy to paint (and correct) my sketch of yesterday with your good looking paintings ! I like the "wet" texture, like if there was sweat on her skin.

So I did this one in the morning, fully digital, except the sketch. The background may be a bit rough, maybe I'll retake it later ;)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/Arctis/Nu1b.jpg

Lemog
08-25-2005, 12:01 PM
Arctis -> thanks for councils... I will try to correct these things this evening... but when I saw your latest pic... I think that's time for me to return to the 3d... hahaha...
Well, seriously, with my eyes, I don't see nothing to crit... it's exacty what I like... :arteest:

:beer: bravo, j'adore :thumbsup:

Rebeccak
08-25-2005, 12:09 PM
Arctis,

WOW! WOW! WOW! :bounce: Now I am the one with 'painting envy', lol, this is beautiful work!!! :thumbsup: *Whistles*...sigh, will have to wait til after work tho to start again...Great job!!! :applause:

Lemog,

I looked for your Maya textures site this morning ~ I couldn't find it, are you doing something new? I swear, I have used your site a million times! I can't believe I'm meeting THE Lemog!!! :)

Off to work with me! :)

~Rebeccak

Lemog
08-25-2005, 12:19 PM
Lemog,

I looked for your Maya textures site this morning ~ I couldn't find it, are you doing something new? I swear, I have used your site a million times! I can't believe I'm meeting THE Lemog!!! :)

Off to work with me! :)

~Rebeccak
Hahaha "THE Lemog"... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: you make me laugh... (it's a good thing at work :D )

Old internal links in html doesn't work now... I start a new PHP version of my website in july, but "all" is not finish... but all the 3712 seamless textures (more soon) and all my artworks are here...

The new adress is : http://lemog.free.fr (http://lemog.free.fr/)

Enjoy :love: (and thanks to appreciate my textures...)

Rebeccak
08-25-2005, 01:13 PM
THE Lemog, :love:

Awesome, thanks! I know this is off~topic, but ~ Wow! how did you compile all of these awesome textures?! A friend told me about your site a few years ago and I have used it religiously ever since ~ all of the textures are fantastic! Don't tell me you created them all??!!! :eek:

~Rebeccak

Noiram
08-25-2005, 01:22 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v672/Tranoiram/Cgfig04b.jpg

this is photoshop elem. about 4 - 5 hours. where does the time go.

Arctis - really lovely drawings, I personally liked the face one your first drawing, though it was not the models, vastly improved in your painting though.

lemog- strong start, would be nice though to have a little indication of ground. Your legs are really coming along well.

rebeccak- it is coming along well. Is her buttock really that flat? I think that it might angle back more, though I could be wrong.

dark3d- i like the line work and the colouring is nice. watch the face, your profile seem almost straight.

thanks everyone for your comments.

Rebeccak
08-25-2005, 01:40 PM
Noiram,

Thanks for all the comments! :thumbsup:

Definitely coming along well! I would like to see the bkgrd go even a bit darker, to offset all of the work that's been put into the figure. :)

~Tough to look at things today, the boss is back (past couple of days have been breezy with barely anyone here, lol!) ~ but hope to see more work later on today. :)

~Rebeccak

Lemog
08-25-2005, 02:15 PM
Rebeccak -> the major part of these textures are my creations, and also many were sent by friends.
But totality was seamed by me.
In fact, with many years of work as graphic designer, I began to have a large collection of textures, but without they being truly arranged and are indexed.
A day, I decided to put order, and to divide them freely with all those who could need some textures for their pleasure or work.
I limited the size to 512x512 to don't too much compete with the companies which earn their living by selling textures.
But soon, I think of adding a gallery for registred people with textures in 1600x1200, but not seamless.

This is the story of 3dTextures :)

Noiram -> you're right... in the next step, I will add a background... rapid black is here only to present the wip...

Rebeccak
08-25-2005, 02:21 PM
Lemog,

Wow, that is just incredible! And a huge service to everyone who has benefitted from the high quality (and quantity) of the beautiful textures you (and your friends) have created! Thank you for your explanation ~ and definitely thank you for the site! :applause:

Great to have you on the forum, and look forward to seeing more of your work! :thumbsup:

~Rebeccak

tuzz
08-25-2005, 04:07 PM
Tuzz -> Liquidink don't seem very easy to used... perhaps it preferable to work at the same time on edges and shades, rather than only on edges. Would that be used for better suggesting the forms, no ?

thanks. you are most certainly right, but that is exactly my problem...shading this...
well i will try to get back to it and give it another try, but first i have to solve damn server/board/cookie/database problems....i hate it :banghead:

pushav
08-25-2005, 07:00 PM
Lemog- 2 tools only. wow. Is that photoshop?

Arctis-nice jpb!

Everyone- good job.

But great job so far, :thumbsup: and pushav...any thoughts on the smudge tool? :)

~Rebeccak

Here I go.....

Psr- If you are using photoshop's smudge, try to create a brush with ruff edges and dont use the "round brushes"
a way to blend with out smudge tool is to put your painting brush on 50 percent opacity and make a single stroke and hold alt and click on that "inbetween color" and paint on that value so on and so on. If you have painter, it is mush easier with just add water.

Lemog
08-25-2005, 08:29 PM
RebeccaK -> Thanks a lot for your good words... :drool:

tuzz -> I don't know exactly if I'm right... but I see something possible with the style you try... I must test this tool one day.
...and sorry, but for "server/board/cookie/database problems..." I can't help you... good luck then :thumbsup:

Pushav -> no photoshop... only with Painter.. I must learn it...
...and for sure, remain me a lot of tools to try then :scream:

And now... I think my second participation done... I hope you like. For me, it's better than the first one.

With a bigger size (8000 pixels), it's really easy to work on details, but longer too... between 4 and 5 hours. Thanks at all for the councils that I try to follow.

Click on the picture for a 1600x1200 version ->

http://lemog.club.fr/wip/opdw6_600.jpg (http://lemog.club.fr/wip/opdw6_1600.jpg)

Rebeccak
08-25-2005, 08:49 PM
THE Lemog :),

Wow, this is really coming along beautifully!!! It looks like you've gotten it to an overall state of resolution, which is great! There are a few small suggestions I would make to improve it even more ~ bear in mind that these are only suggestions! :)

First, I would definitely save this version, and maybe start on a new flattened version, as psychologically this can give you the sense of having a 'fresh start'.

I think the hand is looking a little thick because the thumb is not distinct from her forefinger, causing her to look as tho she has a really thick thumb. I think if you made her forefinger just a bit darker, it would cause the two fingers to separate out.

I would suggest taking some time and focusing strictly on the face ~ I think it looks really good at this point, but could be taken a lot further if you only worked on that for a bit. Her right eye is flattening out a bit because it is outlined with basically the same color (brownish/black) ~ whereas her left eye appears to have more depth.

I would finally suggest tweaking her ankle and softening some of your edges a bit and adding a darker tone behind her upper torso so that she appears a bit more grounded.

I always comment more the closer someone is to being 'finished', so I hope you don't take these suggestions the wrong way! Overall your piece is looking fabulous, and I really look forward to your updates! :)

~Rebeccak

pushav
08-25-2005, 09:32 PM
lemog-Hopefully you'll do more 2d work. :bounce: 2d 2d 2d 2d 2d 2d lol.
all you need to do now is define her foot more.
and I pm-ed you.

rebecca-It looks like her back is broken:cry:
Mybe you should add a hint of lighter gray to the far side of her back(the side of her back furthest from the veiwer.)
Keep it up.

dbclemons
08-25-2005, 10:57 PM
Whoo-boy, if I wind up completing that last sketch on a non-digital surface, it's gonna be a big one. At least 2 feet wide. The largest thing I have that big is either newsprint (nope) or canvas paper that I use for paint tests, which might work. It'll be too rough for pen though, which is what I wanted to use... hmmm. Painter instead? Descisions, decisions.

-David

Rebeccak
08-25-2005, 11:01 PM
dbclemons,

Why not try large format hot press illustration board? If I remember correctly, hot press has the more porous, softer surface vs. the cold press, which is really too slick/smooth and dense for for my taste...hot press has a more receptive drawing surface, IMO.

You can get fairly thick illustration board which isn't expensive and which will take acrylic paint, and even oils if primed with gesso (for temporary studies and things).

Or, what about Reeves BFK paper? That might be really nice too, tho prolly a tad more expensive.

You can also get really nice toned Canson paper, which takes charcoal pencil beautifully. On a nice toned Canson paper, you can also highlight with white, which is really nice.

Up to you. :)

~Rebeccak

dbclemons
08-26-2005, 12:45 AM
Yeah, I'm hip to all the options, I was just going by what I have on hand that is big enough. I do have some large toned charcoal paper, but it's 11x17. The largest illo board I have is 15x20 which might work. We'll see. Funny how a surface that's only @$3 seems so precious :)

-DBC

allenatl
08-26-2005, 05:09 AM
Lemog, very nice painting. I agree, though, that the hand looks
odd.

Latest updates.

Line layer
http://www.allen3d.com/ac_recline_lines.jpg

Line and Paint layers
http://www.allen3d.com/ac_recline_combo.jpg

Paint layer
http://www.allen3d.com/ac_recline_paint.jpg

Somhairle
08-26-2005, 05:55 AM
Hi Rebecca, thanks for the thumbs up on the "Spotlight"! it was a nice little surprise after been away working more on my 3d stuff.

allenatl: VERY nice line work!

Rebecca, -Brittany-, Arctis, PSR, Noiram & Lemog (and I know I'm missing a couple): one word ... WOW! :buttrock:

this is turning into one of the best Works In Progress threads here.

I'll have to have a stab at this!

- Somhairle

Lemog
08-26-2005, 06:59 AM
Miss Rebecca -> I can reassure you, I don't take these suggestions the wrong way, at contrary, they're all very judicious... I will try to correct that, if I can... the final touch then. Thanks to take time. :bowdown:

Pushav -> more 2d work... :scream: hahaha... I can't stop 3d... but a thing is sure, I can alternate.
In first, I don't have any real technic for drawing... maybe I can learn much things here.
But for the moment, I have the impression to have much less imagination in 2d than in 3d. It will be needed that I experienced interesting things, interesting subjects which seem to me, if I want to really continue in this another way.

allenatl -> Thanks, definitively, I must redo these hands... hahaha and thanks for your updates, and details of your work :thumbsup:

Rebeccak
08-26-2005, 09:52 AM
Here is my creepingly slow update...it's getting there, I swear it is! :)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/Open%20Figure%20DrawingWkshp_002/lil-progress_6.jpg

~Rebeccak

Rebeccak
08-26-2005, 10:02 AM
dbclemons,

Lol, I know what you mean! :)

allenatl,

Beautiful work, and thanks for posting your stages! :thumbsup: I love your use of browns and the subtlety of some of your line work ~ great job!! What I really like is that despite the digital medium, your piece, even in it's painting stages, retains the quality of a traditional drawing, which is refreshingly nice.

Look forward to seeing more! :)

Somhairle,

Great to have you back! We've definitely missed you around here. :) No prob about the SPOTLIGHT, I still need to finish it ~ I've saved all the images, just need to format them.
Hope you can join in, it's fun! :) And I'd love to see your WIP painting stages, as I'm sure it would be intstructional and interesting for all of us. :)

THE Lemog,

Thank you! :) Lol, it's great to have you on the thread ~ I was looking at your website earlier, and OMG your work is just amazing!! :applause: I had seen the piece with the Jules Verne~like setting (with the flying contraptions and the museum~like building) before, but I did not know it was yours! That is a fantastic piece, along with all of your other incredible work! I am thrilled that you're posting on our humble thread! *does the happy dance* :thumbsup:

~Rebeccak

PSR
08-26-2005, 10:34 AM
Just having a quick peek, on my break. WOW. I'm stunned at the pace of this thread, the bar just keeps on getting raised.

Rebaccak, The rhythm flowing through the figure is great. Be careful that it doesn't get too smooth and mannered though. I'd love to see some of the chiselled and defined quality you have in the face, echoed from time to time in other areas of the figure. The knees and knobbly bits of the feet perhaps.

Arctis, I don't know what to say, except, that looks absolutely brilliant, congrats.

Noiram, I like the way this is going. Really nice feeling of the luminosity and texture of pastels. Now that you've give her a surface to rest on, don't forget the whole bottom section of the work.

Allenatel, Lovely work, very beautiful quality of line.

Lemog, Somehow I knew you would do a stunning rendering. I have to say that I do miss the stark black background. There was something very Klimptian and ethereal about that image.

Pushav, thanks for the smudge advice, I need it.

Argh I've stayed too long got to get back to work, I know what I'd rather be doing now.

PSR
08-26-2005, 10:37 AM
Lemog, what Rebecca said about your site. Same here, Utterly brilliant.

allenatl
08-26-2005, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the comments, guys.

RebeccaK, in your painting, the highlight on the lower leg sort of makes the
shin bone look off-center. In the photograph, the highlight runs down the leg just outside of
the knee. Your highlight is in the same place, but maybe because of the knee placement, it reads as a shin bone highlight instead of the calf muscle highlight.

Still learning a lot about painting from you guys. Keep posting.

gpepper
08-26-2005, 12:10 PM
RebeccaK -> Thanks a lot for your good words... :drool:

tuzz -> I don't know exactly if I'm right... but I see something possible with the style you try... I must test this tool one day.
...and sorry, but for "server/board/cookie/database problems..." I can't help you... good luck then :thumbsup:

Pushav -> no photoshop... only with Painter.. I must learn it...
...and for sure, remain me a lot of tools to try then :scream:

And now... I think my second participation done... I hope you like. For me, it's better than the first one.

With a bigger size (8000 pixels), it's really easy to work on details, but longer too... between 4 and 5 hours. Thanks at all for the councils that I try to follow.

Click on the picture for a 1600x1200 version ->

Nice job my friend ! it will be nice ! :thumbsup:

Lemog
08-26-2005, 12:55 PM
Here is my creepingly slow update...it's getting there, I swear it isno... I think we're very patient... and so curious to see the final masterpiece :bounce: let's go girl...

THE Lemog,
Thank you! :) Lol, it's great to have you on the thread ~ I was looking at your website earlier, and OMG your work is just amazing!! :applause: I had seen the piece with the Jules Verne~like setting (with the flying contraptions and the museum~like building) before, but I did not know it was yours! That is a fantastic piece, along with all of your other incredible work! I am thrilled that you're posting on our humble thread!
tsss tsss tsss, nothing extraordinary here... only the passion, and a little bit of work.
But when I see works of certain 3d artists and other, I think that the road is still really long, and that much progress is still necessary, but will be they sufficient ?

Lemog, Somehow I knew you would do a stunning rendering. I have to say that I do miss the stark black background. There was something very Klimptian and ethereal about that image.
Thanks PSR... I try to don't repeat the errors of the previous one... and I'm okay with you, this one is better, but need more work, but It's a exercice, and I know my weak points.

Lemog, what Rebecca said about your site. Same here, Utterly brilliant.:bowdown:

Gpepper -> Thanks to take a tour here my friend... as you see, that change a lot with my traditional creations... but it's very pleasant you know.

I just receive yesterday the Ballistic book about Matte Painting... and that, represent to my eyes a very good way, an interesting way for me... with the possibility to blend 3d and 2d... creations inside this books are really awesome and inspiring...
...remain me to find an another good subject to applicate what I need... :scream: and to do what I can... hahaha

Rebeccak
08-26-2005, 01:11 PM
PSR,

Thanks for the advice ~ I totally agree! :) It is looking too smooth right now, I will try to go back in after all the values have settled and try to 'chunkify' the paint, lol! :) Indeed, it is more interesting this way, and I don't wish for the figure to look like plastic! :)

allenatl,

You're totally right, and I've been meaning to fix that ~ I'll probably go back in tonight and try to do some heavy repair work on the leg. Thank you! :)

gpepper,

Hey, I hope you join us! :)

Lemog,

Thanks for inviting gpepper along for the ride! :) Lol, I will try to get going!! :scream:

Cheers, :)

~Rebeccak

Arctis
08-26-2005, 01:30 PM
Hi folks,

Lemog : beautiful render, strong harmony with the background : don't give up 2d ;)
There's something strange about the way her foot is bending.

Rebecca : I like the way you exagerate the hidden structure of her body, to make it clearer ; great face.

Allenati : I like the "sanguine" esthetic, very renaissance. you felt well the attach of her left leg, and her hand is well suggested. Be careful about her back, it is no that curved.

allenatl
08-26-2005, 01:43 PM
Thanks, Arctis. Things are moving so fast in this thread that I didn't get a chance to comment on your painting. It's one of my favorites so far. Like the tones. Also it's another example of work that looks very traditional. After spending the past year looking at mostly
3d art, I'm amazed at how so much work in these workshop threads looks more traditional than digital. Some very impressive stuff.

Rebeccak
08-26-2005, 01:48 PM
Arctis,

Thank you! I agree with allenatl, your painting is wonderful! :) Will you have time to tackle the second pose? That would be awesome!! :bounce:

allenatl,

I really agree, I think it's great how 'traditional' digital work is looking here ~ I think most folks sometimes need a break from the hard core reality of 3D, and it's really cool to see the fantastic 2D work that 3D artists are producing. Keep it up, guys! :thumbsup:

~Rebeccak

gpepper
08-26-2005, 02:06 PM
gpepper,

Hey, I hope you join us! :)

Lemog,

Thanks for inviting gpepper along for the ride! :) Lol, I will try to get going!! :scream:

~Rebeccak

Yeah, it would be cool but I can't and I won't ! I'm a bad painter ! and to watch U making those incredible things let me speechless...
Maybe if I had time I would but this is what I have the less...
Keep going ! I will follow your Workshop !
:thumbsup:

Rebeccak
08-26-2005, 02:13 PM
gpepper,

Lol, thank you! I just checked out your "Big Fat Red Neck" tutorial, and I'm doubled~over with laughter! Your 3D stuff is incredible, I can see why you have no time! Thanks for following the workshop! Please feel free to jump in at any time! :)

~Rebeccak

gpepper
08-26-2005, 02:46 PM
gpepper,

Lol, thank you! I just checked out your "Big Fat Red Neck" tutorial, and I'm doubled~over with laughter! Your 3D stuff is incredible, I can see why you have no time! Thanks for following the workshop! Please feel free to jump in at any time! :)

~Rebeccak

Thanks Rebecca !
The big fat guy isn't really a tutorial but a wip... Thanks again to find my 3D work cool, but I had things to learn again and to do to be a really good 3D artist...
I would like to be part of your workshop, but I'm still working on a 3D still, "le cabanon" and I have to prepare the next session of my school before it starts. But if I find time and a nice subject to work on it, why not !
What does mean figurative art ?

Rebeccak
08-26-2005, 02:55 PM
gpepper,

No problem! And you are much, much further along in your 3D quest than me, lol!! :thumbsup:
"Figurative Art" just means any art that relates to the human figure ~ we have tons of threads here on the Artistic Anatomy and Figurative Art Forum (http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=177) which are dedicated to the study of painting, drawing, sculpting, and 3D modeling of the human form.

A couple of threads which you might be interested in are:

Orthographic Drawings - 2D TRADITIONAL / DIGITAL Drawings For 3D Modeling (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=258842)

3D DIGITAL ARTISTS (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=257442)

(the next one is a thread started by CGTalker jmBoekestein):
Concept for 3D (woman yes)...Need Pointers I Guess... (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=258150)

and there are just lots more, so feel free to check 'em out! :)

Hope to see you more on the forum! :)

~Rebeccak

SpiritDreamer
08-26-2005, 03:31 PM
Hi Rebecca
Just exploring the muscles on the last one. Who photographed this model? El Greco? lol
Just Kidding.
Foreshortening, elongation with a double twist. Nice.
This is what I have so far:
Oil brushes, liquid lens, just add water, and spotlights.
Take care
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/Nudes_5.jpg

AmyScott-Murray
08-26-2005, 03:47 PM
Hi everyone

Here's my attempt at the second photo. Value study so far, let me know what you think :)

http://www.grannys-attic.co.uk/images/amy's/drawing2-1.jpg

Thank you!

Amy

Arctis
08-26-2005, 04:22 PM
Spirit Dreamer : interesting colors, and nice flow ; However keep in mind the overall structure, the way legs are attched to the rest of the body, and the ground where the model is sitting. Right now everything seems too soft and fuzzy. Keep it up, interesting start on a difficult pose.

amy_517 : the structure and attitude are good ; It would be even better if you add a more natural flow to your lines ; right now, they are too many, too separated, as if you didn't dare to draw it ;) ; to me, the right sensation of the body is more important that exact proportions. And draw the ground.

tuzz
08-26-2005, 05:42 PM
hi, had time to get back to sketching...
this time i tried the traditional way ;)

cant say i am very proud of it, but i dont know how to improve the shading with my pencil anymore. any tips would be most welcome. proportions seam quite okay now, was no tracing involved ;)

thanks in advance tuzz

edit: should include the pic haha

http://www.holgerfrohloff.de/images/akt_tradi_1.jpg

Llynna
08-26-2005, 07:42 PM
@amy: i think her upper part of the body is too big for the lower part. the hip is the main problem i think. it is too small and is placed to low (wahhh, i think its time for me to go to scottland again, my english is getting really poor -.-)

@tuzz: try not to shade in downward strokes but try to see the volume and built it via more horizontal strokes.

@rebecca: coming around nicely :) i know what you mean with slow.... i am really slow at painting too.

@lemog: wow... i had a look at your homepage too. the textures are really nice :). i should push myself more and keep up practicing 3D.

i hope to post the sketh for the second pose soon. i have some tweaking to do and will then post.
there will be an update for the succubus posting out of pose one too.

Rebeccak
08-26-2005, 07:46 PM
Wow, guys! It's like a total burst of energy all of a sudden, that's great!!!

Spirit Dreamer,

Great to see you on the new thread! I like your second to last version best ~ I agree with Arctis in terms of focusing more on the drawing than the effects. One thing I notice with your artwork is that you are very capable of drawing, but sometimes go a little too wild (at least in my opinion, and that is totally subjective :)) with color and abstraction. I LOVED your last figurative piece for OFDW 001, and would love to see you do more strictly realistic work, as I think you're quite capable of taking realism very far. I think some of your images, when loaded down with effects, lose the raw power and impact you achieved so well in your OFDW 001 painting, which just blew all of us away!! As always, it's also great to see your process ~ it's amazing to see how loose you start out! :)

amy_517,

Looking good so far, and great to see you on OFDW 002 too! :thumbsup: I also have to agree with Arctis on this one ~ don't sacrifice the flow of the figure for the details. But, having seen your other piece, I know that this one will come a long, long way as well, and I can't wait to see your updates! At present, I think the leg looks a bit short, as well as her arm. I also recommend drawing her hidden arm so that when you paint the cloth over top, it looks more believably to be following the form underneath. I would also add the ground as Arctis suggested and also darken the bkgrd. Good work so far! :)

tuzz,

This is a good effort so far! :) If you are interested in improving your shading techniques, I recommend checking out this thread: Anatomy Review 003: SHADING TUTORIAL AND HUMAN SKULL EXERCISE (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=259291), which contains demos of both Traditional and Digital Shading.
Lots of great work was posted there by folks, which I think will be really valuable to take a look at! :)

One thing I would recommend is to do a study of JUST the face ~ I think right now you are constrained from drawing details due to the small size of the face, and I think it would be a really great exercise to turn the photo ref 90 degrees clockwise and draw JUST the face (and a bit of the hand if you like). I think it would be great if you did studies of each of the individual sections of the body ~ the face, the torso, the legs, the arms and hands, etc. ~ if you have time, lol! :) But small studies are definitely beneficial, as you allow yourself to take time to focus on one particular area at a time. Good luck, and I hope you post your results! :)

Lynna,

Feel free to post your 'succubus' updates here as well in the main WIP forum! :)

Great to see so much new work! Keep it up, guys! :thumbsup:

~Rebeccak

pushav
08-26-2005, 07:46 PM
tuzz- One way to help shading and pencil control is to make scribbles with different stroke pressures. I normally hold my pencil high torwards the uppermid part of the pencil and use light strokes. you can build more light strokes on top of the other light strokes to build up a darker gradeint. It is kind of like glazing. And try to use only 1 pencil. A lot of people use 2h h and 2b pencils all at the sametime but if you do that, you will not have the masterful control.
My teacher had us do this and it worked.

spirtdreamer- el greco. lol. Oh no another masterpiece is underway!:eek::eek::eek:. I still don't get how you do it lol.

Rebecca- the left knee on your picture looks kinda funny. I would give her a bit more "knee"
Her shin sticks out further than her knee. Nice work so far.

Lemog-Thanks!

Thank goodness it is friday. I can acctually draw now! lol.
I am free free I tell ya!:bounce:

jl034090
08-26-2005, 08:38 PM
Thanks rebeccak and lemog for your comments. And also for reminding me how unforgiving watercolor is. Well, here's an update.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b125/james2/figuredrawing3b.jpg

James

tuzz
08-26-2005, 08:49 PM
tuzz,

This is a good effort so far! :) If you are interested in improving your shading techniques, I recommend checking out this thread: Anatomy Review 003: SHADING TUTORIAL AND HUMAN SKULL EXERCISE (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=259291), which contains demos of both Traditional and Digital Shading.
Lots of great work was posted there by folks, which I think will be really valuable to take a look at! :)

One thing I would recommend is to do a study of JUST the face ~ I think right now you are constrained from drawing details due to the small size of the face, and I think it would be a really great exercise to turn the photo ref 90 degrees clockwise and draw JUST the face (and a bit of the hand if you like). I think it would be great if you did studies of each of the individual sections of the body ~ the face, the torso, the legs, the arms and hands, etc. ~ if you have time, lol! :) But small studies are definitely beneficial, as you allow yourself to take time to focus on one particular area at a time. Good luck, and I hope you post your results! :)

~Rebeccak

thank you ALL for your answers. they ARE helpfull :)

yeah. different sections of the body..hehe the time issue instantly came to my mind when reading this :argh: but you are right, that serves me better than doing this other stuff, even yeah even if it is more fun to me :rolleyes:

will see what i can do in the next days. thanks anyways
tuzz

Rebeccak
08-26-2005, 08:55 PM
jl034090,

Looking good so far! I really like the mood in this piece. Ok, don't take this the wrong way, but, the breasts look great! The shadow cast on her arm is really nice, and I like that it is blue and not black or gray. Have you run out of paper for the foot, or is this just the cropping of the digital image? I think for the most part, this image is really coming along well! Do you plan to do a digital version also? That would be cool! :)

tuzz,

No problem! Also, do what you feel like ~ all I am offering here are suggestions. :) I agree, it's far more fun to do the full figure. I usually take multiple cracks at the same one. Just check out how many updates I have so far... :rolleyes: :)

~Rebeccak

Llynna
08-26-2005, 09:01 PM
so, here are the lines for the new one. my imagination is running loose these days, so i will make her one fairy in a forest^^. well after i finish the succubus.

http://666kb.com/i/10po0mhri9mgw.jpg

Rebeccak
08-26-2005, 09:07 PM
Llynna,

Wow, really cool!! When you start to paint, I would suggest inverting your outlines so they are slightly darker than your bkgrd (just so you can see them ~ you may have to lighten your bkgrd to do so) ~ I did that, as I think it's really hard to paint dark over light to satisfaction, tho I like to DRAW light over dark, as I am able to see certain things more clearly. Just a suggestion, tho. :)

I would say the top of her head needs a bit more mass, bearing in mind that her hair has to accomodate all of the back of her skull and will be raised above it just a bit, esp. as she has pouffy hair. :)

I'm sure this will be great, keep going! Updates!! :)

~Rebeccak

AmyScott-Murray
08-26-2005, 09:15 PM
Thank you all very much for your advice and comments. I'm working on fixing these things atm :)

I just noticed when I went back to it just now that her left foot is completely missing - did no-one else spot it? LOL :) :)

Lynna - that looks fantastic! I love what you're doing with her hair. I've been trying to think of a background/setting for mine for ages - a couple ideas but nothing I want to sketch yet. Sounds like it will be great, and the high contrast makes her look so alive.. even if it does cause problems for working with :)

I'll have an update soon I hope.

Thanks again

Amy :)

Llynna
08-26-2005, 09:18 PM
the real one is with dark lines, but i thougt that you wanted to see the figure and not only guess it ;)

i will lighten the background. that will be the darkest colour of the wood and i will build up the shapes of the background first for this one and paint in colours not greyscale.

you are right about the head. i am thinking about another form of the head... i don't like it as it is. she should have more delicate features. but i will do that as i paint i think.

http://666kb.com/i/10po2cx858074.jpg

some update on the succubus

Rebeccak
08-26-2005, 09:27 PM
Go Llynna! It's your birthday! :thumbsup:

Looking great so far!! I cannot wait to see how this turns out...the curtains so far look fabulous! Ooh, how about some cool large window (maybe round?) in the bkgrd there? This is looking really schweet!! Rock on Lynna! :applause:

One tiny comment ~ make sure she has a visible neck. Right now her head is a wee bit disconnected, but that is easily fixed. :)

~Rebeccak

tuzz
08-26-2005, 10:04 PM
damn lynna, this right leg of her looks gorgeous...wonderfully shaded...still have a long way ahead of me ;)
please paint these two sketches...just incredible what you can do :bounce:

edit: congratulations! :)

and could you somewhere on your way post a high res of that succubus? would love to take a look at the leg and the right foot

allenatl
08-27-2005, 12:13 AM
Lynna, really good work so far on the succubus. Like the tone and definition in the legs.
The left knee looks great. The shading on the right knee looks like it should taper inward a little more. The left knee has sort of an inverted triangle shape which looks great, but the right knee seems to have more of a square shape.
The only other thing that I noticed was the right forarm, near the elbow, appears too large and puffy.
Love the overall shading. Has a good sense of shadow and dramatic lighting. And you're a lot braver than I am. I'm not ready to tackle that kind of detail in the background.

Llynna
08-27-2005, 12:07 PM
@amy: thank you for your compliment :) i am looking forward to your update. i must admit that i didn't spot the missing foot *gg*.

@rebecca: birthday :shrug: *confused*
a window would be an idea. i had the idea of a hm lets call it ornament. has anyone seen the devils advocat? in the last scene there is this really cool moving sculpture in the background, i thought about painting something in this style.

@tuzz: you've got pm ;)

@allenatl: ah, thank you for pointing this out. something bothered my about the knee but i couldn't lay my finger on it :). i will try to fix it right away.
well bravery....... hm i don't think so. i just need to practice backgrounds and settings and if you never try you never learn ;). just do it :)
By the way, i had a look at your homepage. i really love the sketch of the fighting girl, it looks so alive :)

Rebeccak
08-27-2005, 05:01 PM
Llynna,

Lol, I'm really stupid sometimes in dropping all of these American pop culture phrases which just make no sense to normal people in the rest of the world! :) That phrase really just means: Hey ~ you're cool! :)

~Rebeccak

Rebeccak
08-27-2005, 08:49 PM
A lil' bit of vertical progress... :)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/Open%20Figure%20DrawingWkshp_002/lil-progress_8.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/Open%20Figure%20DrawingWkshp_002/lil-progress_10.jpg

~Rebeccak

mrtristan
08-28-2005, 01:49 AM
Hello! This workshop thread is so awesome I had to contribute. It's so nice to have great stock to practice from.

Here is my take. I'm trying to work more "painterly" these days, otherwise things end up looking so stiffy. But somethings kind of wonky there. If you help me find my wonk, I'll love you forever.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a382/mr_tristan/006-sm.jpg

ps: full view here (http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a382/mr_tristan/006.jpg).

Rebeccak
08-28-2005, 05:50 PM
mrtristan,

Welcome to the forum! Good to see you here. :) It looks like you've got a great start! I like that you've established your values in a midtone range from the get~go, this will help you tremendously as you start to build your dark and light values. :thumbsup:

In terms of 'wonk' *my favorite word! Wonky!* I would say that the light value you have on the back of her hanging legs' calf is wonkifying things a bit for me ~ I think if you darken that stripe and blend it into the bkgrd, it will help the reading of the leg tremendously. Also I notice that the hanging legs' foot needs more structure, so it doesn't look limp ~ check the photo again, and, if necessary, actually trace it on a separate document, just to get the feel of the foot's form, which can be quite subtle. After you've traced, then go back into your painting, and you will have a much better feel for what is missing in the foot. :)

Also, I think you need to exaggerate the rhythm of the form ~ in terms of Opposing Curves. See this Lesson thread which describes in depth the Drawing concept of Opposing Curves: Anatomy Review 002: OPPOSING CURVES (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=255700). It's all about getting a rhythm going in the picture which leads the viewer's eye about and gives the image more visual interest.

Great job so far, and I look forward to seeing your update!

~Rebeccak

SpiritDreamer
08-28-2005, 08:12 PM
Thanks Rebecca and Arctis for the great advice. Really appreciate it and need it.

Rebecca:
Number one is your pick of last sequence I posted.
Number two is after some refinement to proportion and muscles. Added foot also needs alot of work everywhere.
Number three, playing with lighting and thinking about flesh color.
Number four, am partial to this lighting and color so far, don't know yet?
Now back to more detail, face hands etc.
Will put background in shortly, too.

And now it is my turn to crit the teacher (as Pushav would say)
Hope I don't get kicked out of class. lol
Minor crit: Under her shoulder is divided into armpit top, wing muscle middle, and shoulder blade bottom, all showing. I don't think skin or muscles would make the lines or creases you have covering these three surfaces from top to bottom in a continuous line.
Makes good flow and rhythm on your piece, though. If I'm wrong, disregard.
Just been bothering me since I first saw your figure. Thought I would mention it.

Take care,
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/Nude_6_to_9.JPG

Rebeccak
08-28-2005, 08:29 PM
Spirit Dreamer,

Great to see this sequence! :thumbsup: I really like the last one ~ the color combo really works, even if the flesh tones are really nice in the second to last piece also. :)

And no, lol, no one (esp. not you) will be kicked out of the workshop for critting the 'teacher'. :scream: ~Everyone here has taught me something, so the term 'teacher' is rather shared by everyone, I think. ;) I definitely have miles to go on my piece, so I take all comments / crits with good cheer, as this workshop thread has been pushing me as much as anyone else to improve. :)

Great stuff so far, and look forward to seeing your updates and finished piece! :)

~Rebeccak

mybutterflyiris
08-29-2005, 01:23 AM
Ok, since I really haven't had much training in anatomy, i decided to take on only one piece of the puzzle...aka. the foot. This took me several hours...any crits would be much apreciated
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/mightyevilbunny/anatfoot.jpg

Rebeccak
08-29-2005, 01:32 AM
mybutterflyiris,

Welcome to the forum! :) Glad to see you here. :)

Firstly, I think that your color choices are really nice ~ you have a nice play of desaturated reds and greens going on that is really effective when painting skin. One thing I would suggest is to fill in the bkgrd with a solid tone, whether it be a mid ~ dark gray, or black as you have it ~ but I would completely fill it in with 100% opacity, as this will enable you to more accurately place the values of the foot in relation to the bkgrd.

I also really like the mottled and painterly approach which you are taking ~ this is really nice, and effective with skin. One thing you might try is doing a black / white / gray version ~ doing so enables you to focus mainly on the drawing, and you will think less in terms of 'painting', which sometimes psychologically puts artists off from thinking properly about accurate depiction of their subject(s).

If you'd like to try this, I would suggest just saving a copy of this piece and desaturating it in Photoshop (Ctrl + Shift + U) ~ then going in to really tweak and refine your light and dark values, as well as the drawing of the foot.

I think you are doing a great job so far ~ I would just say keep going, and I hope that you will post your progress! :)

~Rebeccak

Llynna
08-29-2005, 02:08 AM
some updates tonight ;)

at first: the attempt on the second pose, just some colour sketch.

http://666kb.com/i/10pw3dqsgwjr4.jpg

i made some progress on the succubus too.

http://666kb.com/i/10pw3f0sozhmo.jpg

here are some details, i will give her a little bit of snake skin. the motive will be the beauty in the grotesque (well not the best word, no offence in that). its just that there is not only one level of sight and vision. we all could be blendet and only see what we want to see. (sorry for my bad english, but its 4 o clock in the morning here ;) )

http://666kb.com/i/10pw3eam0qfb4.jpg

@rebecca: great progress, but there is some thing about her knees that is bothering me, the are kind of spiky^^ (reminds me of munchkin, i 've got the spiky knees, i got +2 on attack)

@spirit dreamer: wow, i like the colour study and your work with painter. i just couldnt get the hang on that programm -.-

Rebeccak
08-29-2005, 02:19 AM
Llynna,

Cool, great to see your updates! :) I would caution you with the first sketch to not get too tied up in color at first ~ tho lots of things can come out of color experimentation, too frequently the details get blurred. But I think it's really cool that you are taking this workshop to the next level! Keep going! :thumbsup:

I like the sombre tones of the succubus picture as well. I would suggest starting to work in the dark/light tones of the snake. The windows in the back and to the side look really cool! These will definitely allow you to start to play with more depth.

Schweet! :) Thank you for posting these! :)

Ah ~ my poor knees! :)

~Rebeccak

allenatl
08-29-2005, 03:43 AM
Here's my update. Hope to try the second pose sometime this week.
http://www.allen3d.com/ac_recline3.jpg

Rebeccak
08-29-2005, 03:57 AM
allenatl,

Wow!!! Really beautiful work! Are you finished, or do you plan to work a bit more on this piece? I think you've done just a super job so far!!! :thumbsup:

~Rebeccak

mrtristan
08-29-2005, 05:35 AM
You rule, rebeccak!

You know, I read the opposing curves article and it didn't click until I went back today. (Gesture drawing was the same thing. I "knew" what it was, but didn't fully get it for a while.) Learning is a funny business. Silly brain.

I'm much happier with this result. Woo! *does a happy dance*.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a382/mr_tristan/010-sm.jpg

Full view over here (http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a382/mr_tristan/75e48586.jpg).

Brain farts:

allenatl's work sure is shiny. The very dark background should work well.
Do a lot of people work on a white background? I've found that I like a toned canvas.
I like the direction that Spirit Dreamer's taking with color. Very cool. My work looks so sepia-toned in comparison. (That's what I get for being monochromatic. :P)
Wonk is such a great word. It's better than wrong, because sometimes wrong is OK, but wonky, bleh, that's just something I don't want to be.
Edit: After some comments, I realized that the posted photo looks really washed out on a normal monitor then when compared with the pic on my laptop (where I did the work). So I bumped up the contrast a tad, and I'm checking it out.

Lemog
08-29-2005, 08:01 AM
Hi there...

sorry... but I didn't have time this weekend to make the modifications on my picture, I would try the next evening. There were many very interesting innovations during my absence. I have make a really enthralling visit.

Lemog : beautiful render, strong harmony with the background : don't give up 2d There's something strange about the way her foot is bending.Hahahaha don't give up 2d ? well... not totally... but I must find quickly a the next subject before coming back to 3d...
And for foot, you're totally right... it is horrible. :scream:

Spirit Dreamer -> Thanks for your many tests... it's good to view these different results and possibilities.

amy_517 -> good starting... I'll just prefer you smooth the lines... that's appear as a blending style, with suggested parts, and others very marked. :thumbsup:

tuzz -> good point for you... this new traditional sketch is really better and interesting, you make good progress. :bounce:

@lemog: wow... i had a look at your homepage too. the textures are really nice. i should push myself more and keep up practicing 3D.
Thanks Britta... I'm happy if my works can push you to practice 3d !

jl034090 -> Congrats for update your watercolor... verry better.

Llynna 2 -> Very imaginative your latest skecth just with lines... I just do a negative to see better the drawing... and that make me feel to an Alphons Mucha painting... with this beginning of curves which make me think of the birth floral patterns of this time. I imagine the result very well that could make. :applause:
And for Succubus, that's come really good... I hope to see nearly the next steps...

Rebeccak -> Thanks for vertical progress... you're not very fast, but you take a great care to work all the details precisely. It's really pleasant and very enriching. :bowdown:

mrtristan -> globaly, I like the proportions... and the level of details... I'm just ask me about tone, very sweet..., but for my taste, it just need a little bit more contrast... for sure, always with he same tones... good work !

Spirit Dreamer 2 -> the third version for me... that give us a very srong picture... and finally... it's not obligatory for you to add details, free to our imagination to do it.

mybutterflyris -> I'm speechless... you have to carry out a marvellous masterpiece, the part that me I had completely missed. Thank you for this good lesson, anatomically, I don't know if it's perfect, but that seem, great :arteest:

allenatl -> fantastic update, do you think to do the other pose with the same style ?

Lemog
08-29-2005, 08:06 AM
I'm much happier with this result. Woo! *does a happy dance*.
I just see your update... yes, for sure, it seem better... but always too sweet for me... but anyway, it's very very good. Don't be disappointed, I'm not a really good drawer to judge you, but it's only my taste and my feeling when I discover this image.

I try to put "automatic contrast" (ctrl+shift+alt+L) to your picture in Photoshop... and that's yet appear better for my eyes... try it :buttrock:

allenatl
08-29-2005, 11:17 AM
Rebeccak: Thanks. Yeah, I think I'm done with this one. I'm anxious to try the other pose.
Lemog: Thanks for the comments. I'm going with the same style on the second pose. That
could change though, because I'm sometimes halfway through a painting before I figure out
what direction to go with for the finished work.

Rebeccak
08-29-2005, 11:21 AM
Lemog,

Thanks for all of your comments!! They are fabulous!! :applause: Looking forward to seeing your update! :) And, lol, you're right, I'm fast as a rock!! :scream:

allenatl,

Schweet. :) Looking forward to your next piece!! :thumbsup:

~Rebeccak

Lemog
08-29-2005, 12:09 PM
And, lol, you're right, I'm fast as a rock!!
Ahahaha... another moronic American phrase ? that remain me something... but what ?:scream: hahahahaha

Rebeccak
08-29-2005, 01:14 PM
Lemog,

Hahahahaha, lol! I love that you can completely call what I said 'moronic', and I am completely unoffended! :scream: Indeed, there are many 'moronic' phrases which you will hear me use...so beware!!! :twisted:

~Rebeccak

Lemog
08-29-2005, 01:52 PM
Lemog,

Hahahahaha, lol! I love that you can completely call what I said 'moronic', and I am completely unoffended! :scream: Indeed, there are many 'moronic' phrases which you will hear me use...so beware!!! :twisted:

I can reassure you, there's and there will be still many phrases which I would not understand, or which I would understand badly. THE Lemog is like that... :scream: hahahaha

Rebeccak
08-29-2005, 01:58 PM
THE Lemog, :)

Lol!!! I assure you then, I will try not to torture you too much with American slang, though I cannot make any promises... :scream:

~Rebeccak

mybutterflyiris
08-29-2005, 03:06 PM
Alright...here's my update...so painful... working in b&w is generally not my cup of tea. Thanks for the comments...and I decided to go up a bit higer with this one.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/mightyevilbunny/anatfoot2.jpg

Lemog
08-29-2005, 03:10 PM

Lol!!! I assure you then, I will try not to torture you too much with American slang, though I cannot make any promises...

~Rebeccak
When I see my number of posts on CgTalk... I think to love torture... :scream:

mybutterflyiris -> without doubt, I prefer a lot the color version... cause you find with it subtile nuances of color, between veins and skin, etc...

Rebeccak
08-29-2005, 03:11 PM
mybutterflyiris,

Wow, there is nothing that makes me happier than a nice b/w painting / drawing... :thumbsup: (lol, I just saw Lemog's post, who prefers the color version) ~ Sorry to get you to work this way, :) but I think it really helps artists to see better what they are doing in terms of form ~ color tends to get in the way, and people can get confused and give up. This is looking beautiful so far, and I think it's great that you darkened the bkgrd ~ what I would recommend now is to really treat what you have so far as a first pass, and look at it anew ~ and go in, and begin to really subtly build your lights and darks, continually refining the details and adjusting the drawing until you are happy with it.

Great work so far, and I really look forward to more of your updates! :thumbsup:

~Rebeccak

Lemog
08-29-2005, 03:33 PM
(lol, I just saw Lemog's post, who prefers the color version)...In fact, I like a lot BW... and in the past... I do a lot as drawing like that, or painting, or ink, or photos etc... BW was a great passion for me, but in this case... the searching base was in color, and I think that the BW version lose a little compared to the color version.
In any case, I love your BW realization rebecca... cause you are working in this spirit. :thumbsup:

Rebeccak
08-29-2005, 03:37 PM

Hmm...could it be that I'm...wrong???!! :eek: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Well, we will just have to leave it up to mybutterflyiris (who has, by the way, just the coolest handle / username!) to decide. :) No pressure!! :D

~Rebeccak

Lemog
08-29-2005, 08:52 PM

Hmm...could it be that I'm...wrong???!! :eek: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Well, we will just have to leave it up to mybutterflyiris (who has, by the way, just the coolest handle / username!) to decide. :) No pressure!! :D

~Rebeccak
No... fore sure... no pressure... my words have certainly less nuances in English than in French, and the passion too strong. I would try to speak less high.

You're right about this coolest username... it would be really very sad that she flies away... :love:

Now, let speak art :arteest:

EAD
08-29-2005, 10:08 PM
Wow.. some really nice work happening on this thread, I'm well impressed :thumbsup:.
I thought I'd give this one a bash myself so heres my efforts. The First is an attempt in ye olde pencil, it came out rather stylized so Im thinking of developing it into a semi abstract colour piece in ps. The second is an early idea for the composition, I'll update if and when it gets interesting. As yet, Im not sure if the figure will turn out as an anatomical render or purely a graphic element. Any ideas.. feel free to hit me. :) :)

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/8997/figure12kl.jpg

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/3512/figure1comp0zl.jpg

Rebeccak
08-29-2005, 10:15 PM
Andyonahill!!! He does exist!!! :thumbsup: I was beginning to believe that you were a mythical beast ~ you know, like a unicorn! That was a product of my imagination as a result of talking to your wacky friend Mike!!! I'm so thrilled you've finally posted, I'm going to do a backflip *splat* whoops, maybe not!! :scream:

Ok, in all seriousness, beautiful linework, and I like what you've got goin' on with the brushstrokes in your painting ~ it's a unique approach, and I'd like to see where you go with this. Now, I know you're a product/design guy, so I'd prefer if you take the typical product / fast marker sketch approach a bit further and develop a detailed painting ~ I will be nothing if not a pain in the a** about this, as this is my goal and mission in life, lol! ;)

Anyway, I'd say more but I have to run, but I'd just like to congratulate you on *finally* posting, and I am thrilled to finally be able to see your work!! :)

Cheers! :)

~Rebeccak

EAD
08-29-2005, 10:39 PM
Hi Rebecca ;)
I see my reputation preceeds me. I hope mike hasnt built too high a pedestal beneath me as i'm like likely to fall, break several limbs and never draw again. :D I think his harassment, combined with the sly tactic of feeding me the most insanely sugar packed beligian chocolate yesterday has induced this work. Its fueled several hours of manic artistic exploits, I dont think Ill sleep or stop working for at least 48 hours. ( I also noticed he didnt eat any himself) Im awaiting the side effects. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Rebeccak
08-29-2005, 10:41 PM
The short answer: Hahahahahahahahahaha!!! The long answer...laters! :)

~Rebeccak

Samanthie
08-29-2005, 11:08 PM
Here's mine. I worked a long time on the face. Still a long ways to go. Great sketches so far everyone!

default-rol
08-29-2005, 11:51 PM
Andyonahill!!! He does exist!!! :thumbsup: I was beginning to believe that you were a mythical beast ~ you know, like a unicorn! That was a product of my imagination as a result of talking to your wacky friend Mike!!! I'm so thrilled you've finally posted, I'm going to do a backflip *splat* whoops, maybe not!! :scream:

~Rebeccak

RebeccaK - Actually, Andyonahill is my alter ego.... LOL!

Andyonahill - Sorry mate for that Beligian choc - I had to test them out on someone, and you have the strongest gut I know....

Later.

b2dermawan
08-29-2005, 11:59 PM
hi mates, decided to join class 02!

hope you don't mind my worthless 2-cents, can't go with all of'em though, so i'll just pick newer ones:

- spirit dreamer: love the liquid lens stage on your first sketch, and interesting to see how u work. As for your latest set-up, i'll go with #3. Can't wait to see your final result.

- amy_517: hei nice start, you've got the main pose right, would like to see the progress. a lil advice maybe, be sure not to overlook where her right foot start.

- tuzz: i feel your pain man, haven't done pencils for ages my self (too ashamed to show any) and hell that's not easy. but keep doing it is the key i guess. try to focus more on getting the main shapes right first, which you have come up very nice, before go into any detailings and try not to use eraser. About shading, and this is true for any medium, study first to shade objects w/ different shapes and different sources of lights. and thanks rebeccak for the great link! now we can study together, pal.

- jl034090: wow, that's watercolor? very nice man, and the colors are working very well.

- Llyna: looks like you're the fist one in this class who's taking direct-application program hehe, congrats *applauds*. be sure to post the finished goods!

- rebeccak: that's awesome! it's brilliant idea to verticalized(?) the figure, i'll surely adopt that my self when doin that difficult pose, yeah. ALSO, am i imagining things or you actually did her skeletal-anatomy first before giving her muscles and skins? is that how you work to live up to your anatomy-mastery? if the answer yes, then you must be a god or need to get a life hahaha!. the face is really well-rendered and can't wait to see the rest follow. a lil crits (following the crit-ur-teacher-trend) the position of her head is a little off perspective, if you follow the back-bone structure, the neck position should be leaning back (unseen) and the head tilted more to her right hand (which actually rested on her head). oh and i really like your exageration style, it really gives a nice flow and "edges" to the pic.

- mrtristan: good job so far, and it's such a difficult pose too, but you've nailed the perspective correctly. careful with her fingers though, it looks like you've switched her thumb w/ her pinky :). try to play with source of light (using your tones values and highlights) to get dramatic (or traumatic maybe? heheh) effects and it'll look more interesting even in monochrom.

- mybutterflyiris: great study! esp on the b/w one.

- Andyonahill: wow, keep'em coming man! watch out, looks like something cool's on the way!

- Samanthie: good job so far, good idea to use the opposite image (back and forth) since it will give you fresh perspectives over your work. the face is really well-done, but imho the ear a lil off direction.

well this's what i've been doing tonight, will update more tomorrow.
i think her head proportion's not quite right, but cannot pin-point which exactly yet. any help? or any other pointers?
c&c are most appreciated.
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/bdermawan/class02try.jpg

Rebeccak
08-30-2005, 03:48 AM
@Andyonahill,

I'd just like to say that your drawing style reminds me a bit of Andrew Wyeths' preparatory watercolor sketches, do you look at his work a lot? There is an excellent biography of Andrew Wyeth called 'A Secret Life' which is a fascinating and well~written book about this eccentric's life (which, so far as I know, continues). Anyhoo, just thought I'd throw that in there. :)

I like that your draughtsmanship is confident enough that you are comfortable with leaving things loose at this stage ~ I don't sense that your sketch is unproportional in places because you are unaware of this, which is nice.

With respect to your painting, I do like this blocky generalized approach ~ have you seen / do you like the work of artist Nicholai Fechin? He was a brilliant (Russian?) oil painter whose work I greatly admire. You might want to check him out.

I would just recommend not getting caught up in style, and starting to go in for those pesky details ~ and focus less on color than on value.

Good job so far, and hope to see your updates! :thumbsup:

@Samanthie,

I really think this is a nice start, and I would just recommend starting to refine some of those edges ~ bringing some into sharper focus, while diminishing the impact of others. I'm not really going to say much more at this point, because it really looks like you really know where you're going with this piece, and I would love to see you finish it! :)

@Mike / default.rol,

I'm afraid. :scream:

@b2dermawan,

'Worthless 2 cents'? Erm, whatever! :rolleyes: These are great comments, and I highly appreciate the time you've taken to make them! :thumbsup: Thanks for the great comments you made about my piece, I will definitely take any 'teacher crits', lol, into consideration to help me improve! :)

With respect to drawing the underlying anatomy first ~ oh, heck no. It's where knowing some underlying anatomy helps out ~ I can exaggerate here and there to get a point across, even if it's not totally anatomically correct. I definitely need to tweak things to make it better, and I will definitely do so! Thank you for the comments and critique! :)

With respect to your piece, I really love it so far ~ I think the legs need to be enlarged, as they are currently too small for the body. Keep going, and we definitely want to see updates! :)

~~~

Well, guys, you are going great guns! Keep up the great work!!! :thumbsup:

~Rebeccak

Lemog
08-30-2005, 05:47 AM
Andyonahill -> Pencil sketch is fantastic, really ! I like that.
The colored is very attractive... but I'm just curious to see the continuation, and the way you choose, that can change all... it's exactly that will can be interesting, I'm waiting your next update Andrew :bounce:

Samanthie -> very nice... beautiful face... with precise details... we're waiting the rest, that will be certainly very good, is you keep this quality... courage :buttrock:

b2dermawan -> this beginning totally agree me, it's difficult to judge something is not finish, but your way seem very good. I've just the same advice than Rebecca about legs. Good work :thumbsup:

Rebeccak
08-30-2005, 06:19 AM
Hmm, I've been working on the foot tonight...so far, it looks like she's got gangrene, but I think she'll survive! :scream: Dr. Scholl's, anyone? :)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/Open%20Figure%20DrawingWkshp_002/foot-rot-2.jpg

~Rebeccak

Lemog
08-30-2005, 07:00 AM
heyhey... I just finish mine this night... I think it's better than the previous version... but not perfect... far of that... but I think, I must finish to work on this picture. When we are too much time on the same work, we don't see anymore...

...the rest of the picture comes certainly today... to follow :scream:

http://lemog.club.fr/wip/pied.jpg

Rebeccak
08-30-2005, 07:02 AM
Woo! Foot nite! :bounce:

EAD
08-30-2005, 11:33 AM
OK here's the WIP :thumbsup:

AArGGH - sometimes photoshop annoys me cause its just SOOO GOOD, I always end up producing thousands of renditions of the same thing and can never decide which is best. Its almost the opposite of 'real' painting, as a commitment is never really commited.

Anyway this is what Ive settled on at the moment, still not sure where its gonna end up. Dont worry Rebecca I'll add more detail- the foot will appear at some point. In answer to your thoughts Ive actually never heard of Andrew Wyeths until know, i'll check him out, same goes for the russian although I am a fan of early twentieth century Russian graphic arts along with the bauhaus crew, Moholy Nagy etc.

Lemog, thanks for your comments, hope you like the update :thumbsup:

http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/6012/recliningviv7kt.jpg

Rebeccak
08-30-2005, 11:36 AM
AOAH,

Looks good so far, I would just caution you that your lights are going too light in the figure, and you are going to run out of range on the light side shortly, so I would begin to add a 'wash' of mid-range tone to allow you to fully render form. :)

~Rebeccak

Lemog
08-30-2005, 12:51 PM
Lemog, thanks for your comments, hope you like the update :thumbsup:
Oooooooooooh yesssssssssssss... Really... I like much, just a thing disturbs me, in fact, it's just me, because I'm unable to make a creation like that, stylized, and yet, I really love this kind. :argh:
I want more :banghead:

Well... for me, it's finish, there is the final picture, remain certainly defaults, but now, I prefer to do something over... I hope you like :

(click on the picture for a 1600x1200 version)

http://lemog.club.fr/wip/opdw7_640.jpg (http://lemog.club.fr/wip/opdw7_1600.jpg)

And for Becca...

a black & white version :

(click on the picture for a 1600x1200 version)

http://lemog.club.fr/wip/opdw8_640.jpg (http://lemog.club.fr/wip/opdw8_1600.jpg)

Rebeccak
08-30-2005, 01:09 PM

Gahhhhhhh!!! I'm at work, so I can only take the tiniest of looks at your piece, but from what I can tell from flashing by it at 80 mph is that it looks fantastic!!! :bounce:Thanks for including both a color and a black and white piece, you know b/w makes me happy, hahahahahahaha!!!

Will definitely take a better look at this and post better comments later...:D...but for the time being...Great job!!! :applause: ~Did I hear you say you were going to work on the second pose? At this rate, I should be finished with mine *maybe* by Christmas! :scream:

~Rebeccak

allenatl
08-30-2005, 01:16 PM
Nice one, Andyonahill. Reminds my a little of Syd Mead in a weird semi-abstract way. Really liked the pencil sketch earlier, too.

Rebeccak, I like how your foot shows an area of muscle tension in front of the ankle.

be2dermawan, nice start on your painting. Anxious to see the updates.

Lemog, this one turned out very well. I also checked out some of your 3d stuff in the challenges. Man, that's some amazing, incredibly detailed work. Don't know how I
missed seeing your work before.

Here's my attempt at the second pose. Hope to add some color later.
http://www.allen3d.com/ac_seatedfrontview.jpg

Rebeccak
08-30-2005, 01:32 PM
allenatl,

From a quick glance, this looks great so far! Can't wait to see the painting! :)

~Rebeccak

b2dermawan
08-30-2005, 01:47 PM
Andyonhill : whoaa you just can't fail w such great set-up. top notch!. hope you still have plenty of whatever you've been eating, cause i can't wait to see how you'll take on the figure. my money's on you.

Lemog: thanks, really appreciate it. i really like your foot study too, and hey wait now i can see where it plays on the whole body. congrats for finishing such a tough pose with great success!

rebeccak: wohoo i knew i could trust on you to give me right directions! so thank you for such keen eyes you have! (are they for sale?:)). Meh, i have this nasty habit to make things bigger than they should when detailings, even if i've got their shapes correctly before-hand. Will definetely fix that tonight *makes notes*. Great study on the foot, i see you really know your values well. if i may offer crit however, is to look where the foot actually facing in the ref, yours is facing more toward the viewer right now (from the way those toes are lining up). quick comparison is to lemog's foot study, i think he's got the direction right.

i'll continue work on mine when i back from work tonight. so bye for now.

Rebeccak
08-30-2005, 01:59 PM
b2dermawan,

You and Lemog definitely are great at giving comments/critique! Thanks for that! :)

*Nervously laughs* no, my eyes are not for sale *heh heh heh heh heh heh* *locks doors* :scream: ;)

~Rebeccak

Lemog
08-30-2005, 03:43 PM
...Thanks for including both a color and a black and white piece, you know b/w makes me happy, hahahahahahaha!!!
Will definitely take a better look at this and post better comments later...but for the time being...Great job!!! ~Did I hear you say you were going to work on the second pose? At this rate, I should be finished with mine *maybe* by Christmas!
Yes I know that for B&W, it's the reason I do that, made be when I will have more time, I will try a better B&W version with some modifications.
And for the second pose ? I already do it... don't remember ? hahahaha... I know, this version wasn't very good... I don't think to have the courage to do it another time... we will see, but surely not before you finish yours :scream: hahahahaha

Lemog, this one turned out very well. I also checked out some of your 3d stuff in the challenges. Man, that's some amazing, incredibly detailed work. Don't know how I
missed seeing your work before.
Thanks a lot... I know that's not easy to see all interesting things here, there's so much people... and we haven't time enough... argh It's the same thing for me... how I will like to have much time to consacrate to my passion :shrug:

Nothing to crit for the second pose, proportions appears very well... and the pencil touch very precise... simple and effective :thumbsup:

Rebeccak
08-30-2005, 03:49 PM
Lemog,

Lol!!! I'm sorry, I flew by your pic in an effort not to let my boss see what I'm looking at, lol!! Sorry, I do remember your other piece, hahahahaha!!! :scream: Please forgive my little mistake there. :)

You know, next week we will be posting another set of poses for OFDW 003 ~ I really hope you participate in that! :) It's great to have THE Lemog on the forum! :thumbsup:

Ok, here is my foot update ~ lol, it's the only thing I can do here! :) It's a foot break, hahahahahaha!!! :)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/Open%20Figure%20DrawingWkshp_002/foot_work.jpg

~Rebeccak

Lemog
08-30-2005, 03:51 PM
Lemog: thanks, really appreciate it. i really like your foot study too, and hey wait now i can see where it plays on the whole body. congrats for finishing such a tough pose with great success!

Thanks... success ? I don't know... I just can say that I'm really happy then... I'm finally a beginner and I've never passed much time to draw on computer...
...with the 3d passion, finally, I've abandonned 2d...
...and cheer to this thread... I can have a new interest for that.
I'm really satisfied about the result, also remain critical parts, but I think to have make progress in two weeks, it's a good thing ! Thanks to your all.

Rebeccak
08-30-2005, 03:54 PM
Lemog,

If you have time, definitely join us for Open Figure Drawing Workshop 003, which will start next week (probably this Sunday) :) ~ if not then, well, we'll keep on rolling, and you can pop in at any time! :thumbsup:

~Rebeccak

Rebeccak
08-30-2005, 03:59 PM
Lemog,

Ah! Just had a chance to really look at your piece ~ really beautiful work!!! :bounce: I really love the subtle pink and green coloring, and you did a really good job of differentiating the textures of the body ~ for example, the skin of the stomach looks softer than the skin of the leg, which is great!!! The face and hands look really beautiful, and I particularly like her left leg. The only real problem I see is with the ankle of her right leg, which doesn't look as smooth/blended as the rest of the piece. I think maybe her right leg could use a bit more blending overall? I think the black/white version also shows that her right thigh is flattening out a bit because it is basically the same value all over ~ where in the photo, I think you will see more shading on the underside of the thigh, along with some reflected light. What are your thoughts on this? :)

EDIT:One additional thing that I notice with her right thigh is that the shadow along her hip cuts up at a sharp, straight angle, and though the value contrast is low, this interrupts the really nice smooth, round flow you have in the rest of the body. Maybe you could blend this just a little more to reduce the sharpness? :)

One thing I also really like is the way you've treated the background. I like how you've softened the edges of things ~ both in the figure and the paper she is lying on ~ without smudging or blurring, but just using greater and lesser edge contrast to get a softer or sharper feel to the edges ~ that is really nice, and not something everyone is good at doing! :) I think it's also good that you simplified the paper she is lying on, as too much detail might detract attention away from the central focus of the picture, the figure. :)

Great work, and I'm very happy to see your posts! :)

~Rebeccak

Lemog
08-30-2005, 04:03 PM
Lemog,
Lol!!! I'm sorry, I flew by your pic in an effort not to let my boss see what I'm looking at, lol!! Sorry, I do remember your other piece, hahahahaha!!! Please forgive my little mistake there.
Don't be sorry Becca... I think my first piece don't merit the memory... sincerly... me too I don't remember very well about the first one... sometimes, we prefered to forget certain creations, no ? :scream: hahahaha

You know, next week we will be posting another set of poses for OFDW 003 ~ I really hope you participate in that! :) It's great to have THE Lemog on the forum!
Why not... if I always have some time to kill with intelligent manner...:bounce:

Ok, here is my foot update ~ lol, it's the only thing I can do here! :) It's a foot break, hahahahahaha!!!
mmmh... you take your foot in your job as I can see... well... take care to don't break it :scream:
Oups, sorry, I'm a little bit out of the subject.
I any cases, beautiful effort on ankle, maybe that will be finish before Christmas :D don't stop now... please... the final must come :buttrock:

Rebeccak
08-30-2005, 04:08 PM
Lemog,

Hahahahahah!!! I must try to increase my speed, it is true!!! My excuse is that I can't draw nude people at work, lol!!! Erm...ok, I have no excuse. :)

No, your first piece was really nice, but WOW!!! Your second piece is 10x better!!! It will be really great to see what you do with your third, and your fourth...can a person improve exponentially and then become superhuman??? Lol!!! :scream:

Great!!! I look forward to seeing you on OFDW 003 next week as well! :) Woo! More great Lemog paintings and comments! *hi~five*

~Rebeccak

Rebeccak
08-30-2005, 04:12 PM
allenatl,

Overall your drawing is BEAUTIFUL. However, I do have to say that the leg is too small for the rest of her body. It's funny, because we are all making the same (or similar) mistakes on the same poses, lol ~ on OFDW 001, people who drew the back view (including moi) always gave the model a huge rear end!! I think with this pose, everyone for some reason is giving the model very small legs ~ but that is easily corrected in Photoshop. :)

I love your linework, and the overall ease with which this appears to have been drawn is really impressive. Thanks for posting this! I really look forward to seeing your painting! :)

~Rebeccak

Lemog
08-30-2005, 04:18 PM
I've just see your latest post Becca... and thanks a lot... At first view it's a very good comment for me... another times "it's my birthday"... :scream:

I note the point about the ankle of the left leg... I can't say the opposite, you're totally right... I've trying to arrange that, but not enough...

For the edges, finally, I've change my way of making that, before (on the previous drawing), I work the background and the subject on different layers in Painter, but now no, that permit to the subject to take integral part of its environment. Easier to soft the edges.

Well, maybe a little update tomorrow, or some another tests... :bounce:

Lemog...

Rebeccak
08-30-2005, 04:20 PM
Lemog,

Awesome!!! Look forward to officially celebrating your 'birthday'!!! Lol!!! :scream:

~Rebeccak

Lemog
08-30-2005, 04:27 PM
Lemog,

Hahahahahah!!! I must try to increase my speed, it is true!!! My excuse is that I can't draw nude people at work, lol!!! Erm...ok, I have no excuse. :)

No, your first piece was really nice, but WOW!!! Your second piece is 10x better!!! It will be really great to see what you do with your third, and your fourth...can a person improve exponentially and then become superhuman??? Lol!!! :scream:

Great!!! I look forward to seeing you on OFDW 003 next week as well! :) Woo! More great Lemog paintings and comments! *hi~five*

~Rebeccak
You post very fast girl... argh... what can I do with the third or thourd ? hahaha... maybe it's better that I stop now... I will be afraid to disappoint all my friends. :scream: hahaha

If the OFDW 003 will be not too complicated for me... I will be here, with my comments for sure... :banghead:

*hi~five* mmh mmh... an another sentence I don't know... certainly "tape-m'en cinq" in french ! :rolleyes:

Rebeccak
08-30-2005, 04:30 PM
Lemog,

Lol, I'm a speed poster! It's the only thing I do fast!!! :scream: If only I could paint that way!! :rolleyes:

Cheers!! And...you know...it's almost your birthday!!! :scream:

~Rebeccak

Llynna
08-30-2005, 05:44 PM
wow.. you guys are crazy........... so much posts *gg*. i`ve been busy painting the last two days (ok, i had to play agony aunt for a friend of mine too). i am just so slow too......... but i have to finish some pieces because that will be the money i will save to visit you crazy people next year at siggraph ;)

@lemog: thank you for compliment :) i really try to get into 3d when i have some time. you always have such kind words for everybody :) the foot has improved greatly but the hand is still not quite right. some time later i will make an overpaint (if that is ok with you)

@rebecca: i am really looking forward to OFDW 03 :) i will partcipate for sure. maybe that wil l be the birthday for all of us *gg*

@allenatl: wow... beautiful sketch :) hopefully you will try a full colour painting with background too as time comes.

@b2dermawan: i am really lookin forward to see your update and your comments on everyones drwaings/paintings.

Rebeccak
08-30-2005, 05:49 PM
Llynna,

Hahahaha, great post!! :) We are not crazy...we are artistic. :wise:

:scream:

~Rebeccak

pushav
08-30-2005, 07:07 PM
It has been a while.
I was working on some new greyscaling methods in photoshop and color glazing and blending in painter. Some wip pics....

Crits?

Photoshop7...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/pushav/color/onecopy.jpg

Painter7....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/pushav/color/twocopy.jpg

Rebeccak
08-30-2005, 07:17 PM
pushav,

Yeah!!! Good to see you finally getting going with these...ok, can you guess what I'm going to say next? Focus on the Grayscale image. :) Yep ~ you guessed it. :)

I think if you keep plowing away at the grayscale image, and do not fall back on color or on style, you will truly get a deeper understanding of painting than you may have had before. I really like how you've mapped things out so far, what with filling in the bkgrd, and focusing on the figure primarily ~ I think you're really taking the right approach! :thumbsup:

Looks good, pushav ~ keep pushing those values, and continually refining your drawing. The nice part about making the bkgrd one solid 100% value is that you can easily refine your drawing using black for the exterior of the form, and whatever gray value you are using for the interior of the form. Keep going, and make me proud, pushav!! :thumbsup:

~Rebeccak

Rebeccak
08-30-2005, 07:21 PM
And now, for your viewing enjoyment...a foot. :) Not really working off reference at this point, just trying to build values...she may look as though she's got gangrene when I reattach this puppy... :rolleyes:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/Open%20Figure%20DrawingWkshp_002/foot_work-2.jpg

~Rebeccak

Arctis
08-30-2005, 07:55 PM
Hi,

I finally found time to finish the second pose, motivated by all these impressive paintings you've done on it !

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/Arctis/Nu2b.jpg

Arctis
08-30-2005, 08:12 PM
Now let's make a few comments :

- Pushav : keep in mind the structure : if you don't focus on how legs are attached, it will be harder to find the correct volumes. Why not try to zoom and study some particular parts, THEN make the whole pose ? It's a suggestion Rebecca told me, which was helpful.
And don't forget the ground ;)

- Allenati : strong sketch, and nice feeling on your lines. Something's strange with her head : her face may be too large compared to the volume of her hair.

- Lemog : nice shot ! Your painting was a strong motivation to make mine. I have a small crit however : maybe the way her right forearm is connected to her hand is a bit unprecised. But the pose is very precisely rendered anyway.

- Andyonahill : interesting, but personnaly, I think that what's most interesting here is to focus on the human form, and its understanding. But that's just an opinion ;)

- b2dermawan : nice to try some other color sheme ; nice start, her torso is well rendered already. Keep it up !

- Samanthie : nice start too : looks like a watercolor.

Rebeccak
08-30-2005, 08:45 PM
Arctis,

Thanks for these comments! :thumbsup:

From my quick, 80 mph scrolling glance *looks over shoulder hastily* ;) your painting looks beautiful...I love the tonalities you've got goin' on, and overall, this looks like a beaut ~ but I'll post more in~depth comments in a bit...but for the time being, great job!!! :thumbsup:

You MUST join us for OFDW 003!!! :bounce:

~Rebeccak

Lemog
08-30-2005, 08:49 PM
Llynna -> hmmm... the hand too... well, you're right too... Always problems in the same parts... hands and foot... hahaha :scream:
I'm ok for the overpaint... no prob for me, thanks a lot. :cool:

Rebeccak -> Are you really sure I'm not crazy ? crazy in second, artistic in third...
...passionned in first ! :arteest: (I'm sure I'm not the only one... :p )

pushav -> fine to see your come back, I thonk the first steps are good... I never tried this method... but why not... only the result count... good continuation :thumbsup:

Rebeccak 2 -> your foot is always an enchantment :drool:

Arctis -> the technique is always very controlled, a beautiful lesson for me... If I can motivate you with my pictures... It's a really good thing, and I can see that it works very well... cause your result is awesome. It's very difficult for my eyes to find something to crit. You're a master where I have much problems... foot, hands (and the rest too...) are at the top !!!
Thanks for your comment about my picture, I also note the other default with the forearm... thanks Pierre :bowdown:

Lemog
08-30-2005, 08:50 PM
Arctis,
You MUST join us for OFDW 003!!!

A very effective sales department :scream: hahahahahaha :banghead:

Rebeccak
08-30-2005, 08:53 PM
Lemog,

*Completely charmed by French 'accent'* ROFL, your post is suuuuper funny!!! I'm glad the foot painting *warning: American slang approaching* 'floats your boat' hahahahahahahaha!!!

Hey, you gotta pimp your threads! :D

~Rebeccak

Arctis
08-30-2005, 08:54 PM
Lemog : thanx a lot, man ! :)

Rebecca : thanx, but what is OFDW 003 ???

Rebeccak
08-30-2005, 08:56 PM
Arctis,

You're welcome! :) OFDW 003 = Open Figure Drawing Workshop 003. :) We open Sunday night or Monday morning. :thumbsup: Lemog will be there...Lynna will be there...join us!!! *Buy* *Buy* *Buy* *Buy* :scream:

EDIT: Also, bear in mind that all OFDW's stay open all the time ~ they run on a continuous basis. So, for those of you who are slow :rolleyes: *who could that be* you may post indefinitely on the OFDW threads. :)

~Rebeccak

Arctis
08-30-2005, 09:00 PM
I guess this one was the OFDW2, if I understand correctly ? (Damn I'm slow...)

Rebeccak
08-30-2005, 09:25 PM
Arctis,

It's ok, I'm slow too. ;)

There are lots of threads here, and it is definitely confusing. Check this Sticky thread for Links for all OFDWs: :)

LINKS to ALL Open Figure Drawing Workshops with Hong Ly and Rebecca Kimmel (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=269438)

~Rebeccak

pushav
08-30-2005, 09:48 PM
Wow look at all of the new comments. Sorry that I could not get back sooner the line at Taco Bell was loooooooooong.

Arctis- yeah I was going to do that, but alot of time I loose a sense of lighting when I zoom in. I tend to work at a zoomed out level like 66-100 percent then zoom in. But yeah that was like a 10 min job on that greyscale image. I still need some ways to go. Nice picture by the way!

Lemog-I will always comeback as long as I pay for the internet service. After all, I am the people's champ. You can greyscale like 200 times faster in photoshop. All local color grays. With opacity on 52 percent and a default hard brush.

Thanks for the crits. I have more experimenting to do.

Rebecca- Do I get an award for cgtalk's most improved player award?
I've been working hard.:shrug:

Rebeccak
08-30-2005, 09:55 PM
pushav,

You will if you finish this! :thumbsup: But, you have already won the award for 'most reduced spam'. I, on the other hand... :rolleyes:

I'm trying to get better. It's a disease. :D

~Rebeccak

Llynna
08-30-2005, 10:12 PM
@Arctis: nice rendering :) especially the skin tones. but i think the head and the hand are a little bit too big (could be just my imagination also ;) ).

@pushav: don't try to get the colour down bevor you have got the whole greyscale body. also you might want to make the highlights more swift so that they elongate the body, especially on the leg. just make it run over the whole leg.

i've been working on the succubus the evening. she finally is going into colours ;). i am currently painting an army of scarabs which are whinding down the background "wall". as you may notice i removed the head, it was just too ugly..... but i like the hair so fas (another redhead *gg* just don't know why i am always painting reddish haired girls :rolleyes: with pale skin (well she is not so pale exactly)

http://666kb.com/i/10q2s9c778lxc.jpg

high res (http://666kb.com/i/10q2sabatv6kg.jpg)

pushav
08-30-2005, 10:12 PM
Rebecca- Reduced spam lol.:scream:
Ahem prepare for it. Spam here it comes,

Now pusha V comes with 20percent less spam?! Hmmmmm... This feels funny.

I could not resist

But I saw that you laid down the hammer on another thread here. It was funny.

Llynna- thanks for the tip!.

Bsmith
08-30-2005, 10:17 PM
hey everyone. This is my first time posting here (first time ever posting any of my work on cgtalk period I guess.) Anyways, my scanner was a little too small and kinda cropped some of the head of (but not to much, I always seem to have hte tendency to draw the image to big and its always the head thats hitting the very edge of the paper) and this is just the beginning sketch and I will continue to shade later.

http://www.creativespot.org/post/data/500/medium/scan.jpg

About myself:

I have about 1 years worth of art training at a community college, and I hope to tranfer some time next year (scad maybe?). I've only taken one life drawing class and pretty much sucked at it. I was actually thinking about taking it again jsut for fun, until I found this thead and figured this was cheaper :) My goals is to sooner or later get into the visual effects industry.

Rebeccak
08-30-2005, 10:19 PM
Llynna,

Wow, this is looking really nice!! I would say ~ when you get overwhelmed by color schemes, take a step back, save a copy of your image and just go in and freely experiment, as you will have your master (layered) version as an untouched backup. On the copies, just fill in whole areas of color to test out how you want basic color schemes to work in your image. Don't worry about filling areas in nicely, just go ahead and put in color where you want on these 'comps'. You might even try reducing in size several of these comps, and experimenting with them on a small scale to get your overall color and value schemes working.

What you want to make sure to do is to have clearly delineated areas of light and dark ~ not of COLOR, but of Light and Dark. This will lead the viewer's eye around, and will determine how she or he makes sense of the picture.

Keep going with this, and I really look forward to seeing your next update! :thumbsup:

~Rebeccak

pushav
08-30-2005, 10:20 PM
Bsmith-Nice to see you post here! I guarantee that you will learn alot on this thread! Please continue to post here.

Rebeccak
08-30-2005, 10:28 PM
Bsmith,

Welcome to the forum! Great to see you here. :)

I think that these threads found thru the following links might also be useful for you to check out if you have not done so already:

LINKS to ALL Rebecca Kimmel Anatomy Reviews - 001, 002, 003 (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=269440)

There are 3 Drawing Lessons (001, 002, and 003) linked here about Gesture, Opposing Curves, and Shading (both digital and traditional).

As for your drawing for this thread, do you have plans to shade / paint digitally or traditionally? Either is fine with me, and I personally feel it is better to learn traditionally first ~ but I really have no preference which you choose. :)

There are some problems with the drawing which I am happy to point out in a paintover later on...but for the time being, I would recommend taking a look at Lesson 002 (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=255700) (there is a demo in the beginning of the thread) as it will relate to what I will critique about your piece. :)

Great start, and glad to have you on the forum! Thanks for posting! :)

~Rebeccak

Bsmith
08-30-2005, 10:29 PM
thanks, just so everyone knows, I fixed the leg problem...as soon as I posted I noticed the leg standing up was too slanted or whatever. But now its more vertical.

yeah, It will prolly be more penscil drawings than anything else until I get a wacom, which then will be a whole other life lesson. I can't paint worth sh*t though.

As for lesson 2...I have looked at it (as well as the other two) and I'm trying my best to get those curves in. I did draw a skull tho and I guess I can post it on there if anyone still looks at that thead.