PDA

View Full Version : P4 2.8Ghz and ASUS P4PE Mobos?

SMH
11-02-2002, 10:31 PM
Hi,

I'm wondering if you gain any additional performance from installing a P4B 2.8Ghz, on the new ASUS P4PE mobos. The board is hailed for it's native compatibility with PC2700 DDR-333 RAM. Does this translate to any relative speed gains if such RAM is used. The model lacks AGP8X, yet still provides tons of features:

http://usa.asus.com/mb/socket478/p4pe/wheretobuy.jpg

Above all, it supports the upcoming 3Ghz P4s. Your assitance is deeply appreciated.

Thanks,

b.Schulz
11-03-2002, 02:59 AM
I dunno but I can let you know when I get my new computer in a few days. I got a P4 2.8 with the Asus P4PE mobo and 1 gig or 3200 DDR Ram? err...maybe it was 2700....no...I think it was 3200 DDR Ram. Hopefully it will scream.

SMH
11-03-2002, 09:31 AM
Thanks, but I'm buying this Monday.:thumbsdow The only thing you could loose is AGP8x. I'll just have to wait and see, till then.:hmm:

My Fault
11-03-2002, 08:51 PM
WIth Intel unveiling their new 3+GHz processors on November 14th, wouldn't it be better to wait the 11 days and take advantage of the price drops?

SMH
11-03-2002, 08:58 PM
Sound advice, by Nov14th the P4B 2.8Ghz should drop ~50$ or so. The problem is, I could loose multiples of that amount if I miss my deadline.:thumbsdow

My Fault
11-03-2002, 09:01 PM
In that case.... buy, buy, buy!!! :p

GregHess
11-03-2002, 10:52 PM
Always buy when you need and not when you want :).

Massive price changes will be occuring this november and early december as many new chips, steppings, chipsets, and video cards hit the market.

SMH
11-04-2002, 01:07 AM
Thank you for being such a life saver. I know I'm practically throwing away the better part of 300$, but I have no choice. One thing I'll be doing, is probably build a system on the mobo/CPU above by 2/2003, and give it to my nephew. I'll be buying some good PC3200 or those PC3500 Corsairs I just glimpsed a moment ago. A nice 4200ti will probably do for now. Perhaps without VIVO, but I need DVI for my CinemaDisplay...that 21" CRT will shorten my days otherwise. I'll go for the Chieftec case, but I'll replace it's PSU with a Vantec Stealth. Once I'm done with this mobo/CPU, I'll migrate the good components to a better platform.

I'm wondering if can safely OC the P4B 2.8Ghz, with the components above?

Thanks,

GregHess
11-04-2002, 02:53 AM
"I'm wondering if can safely OC the P4B 2.8Ghz, with the components above?"

Rule #1 of overclocking....

NEVER buy a chip with the sole purpose of overclocking. Don't assume that because you have a) The best heatsink b) The best ram c) the fastest chip d) and the best motherboard....that you'll be able to overclock AT ALL.

Overclocking a system past spec pulls on so many variables, it couldn't possibly be listed. Such things as stepping, chip production date, position on the waffer, even the plant it was produced in effect a chip's overclockability. Automatically assume that all overclocking attempts will fail miserably. This way, when you don't hit your target megahertz, you won't be enormously disappointed.

Key factors in overclocking...(For Intel Processors).

Power...You must have an extremely clean and powerful psu. (Clean as in very consistent voltage).

As you increase cpu frequency, noise is induced in the processor signal. This noise can be caused by EMI flucuations, various inconsistencies in pathways, or heat. To counter the increased noise you can raise the cpu's core voltage, which increases the signal strength of the cpu frequency. (trying to explain this as simply as possible). Without a clean and powerful psu, decreased stability will occur.

Chipset...Some chipsets have much higher ceilings for FSB ratings then others. Remember in oc'in an intel processor, its all based on Front Side Bus. Which effects the ram, chipset, cpu, agp, all embedded components (IDE, Sound, I/O etc) and all PCI and ISA slots. Any weakness is one of these components will limit the maximum level of speed you can obtain. (Example: Certain soundcards don't like being out of PCI spec).

The chipset really helps in this instance due to PCI/AGP/RAM dividers.

Cooling...Cooling on the cpu...cooling on the voltage regulators, cooling on the video card, ram, chipset. Heat increases resistance. You don't want resistance where its not wanted :).

Once again, remember not to expect to get any overclocks. And I still don't recommend overclocking in any type of workstation environment, its just not sane :).

With that in mind...check out www.overclockers.com. You'll actually find that the 2.8B P4's have a lower ceiling then some of the lower speed intel chips in most overclocking ventures. (The new 2.4B's have a C1 stepping and hit around 3.1 and higher..)

SMH
11-04-2002, 01:29 PM
Greg you're doing a fantastic job.:applause: I'm actually surprised you're not an official mod in this forum.:shrug: I agree with you, OC is not even worth it for WS purposes. As you said, some components have a particular suitability for OC. And it's always good to know your options. Thanks for your great help.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.