STEP 3

http://andreasrocha.no.sapo.pt/CGTalk/04BringEmOn/Bring-emOnD03.jpg

STEP 4

http://andreasrocha.no.sapo.pt/CGTalk/04BringEmOn/Bring-emOnD04.jpg

STEP 5

http://andreasrocha.no.sapo.pt/CGTalk/04BringEmOn/Bring-emOnD05.jpg

BrittanyRichardson
08-21-2005, 01:53 PM
It looks great so far, I don't see anything at this stage that needs critique. I like the colors, and I especially like the warm light that hits the main character.

Euphrosyne
08-21-2005, 05:58 PM
Looks great, you might put alittle more of the warm color of the light in the sky. It seems if the light is that warm, the sky should be too. Everything else is super.

Monster_General
08-21-2005, 06:34 PM
This is great ... I think you would make this one is more great in time ... I was see your previous arts and that can be cool too . Keep up just :)

andreasrocha
08-21-2005, 10:40 PM
UPDATE 01 - 2005.08.21

http://andreasrocha.no.sapo.pt/CGTalk/04BringEmOn/Bring-emOnD02.jpg

-Brittany- Thanks for the support. I'm happy you're liking it.

Euphrosyne - I forgot to implement your suggestion in this first update. I'll do it next. Thanks for the comment.

Monster_General - I'm glad you're liking this and my previous work, too. Thanks!

BrittanyRichardson
08-21-2005, 10:53 PM
yeah, it's looking good.
I also agree that there needs to be some warm tones in the sky, and I know you're getting around to it.
I like what you've done to the hair more than how it was previously. And it's good that you're adding in a forground too.
Again, no crits. Keep us posted. :thumbsup:

yAdam
08-21-2005, 10:57 PM
Love the style, and definately looks better with short hair and head piece thing. It looks like the arms are too long to me though, and because of that it sort of seems as though the hands are slightly disconnected:shrug: from the body. But still great work. keep it coming....
!

kaylon
08-21-2005, 11:15 PM
I like the first one better...has more movement...passion almost... and she seams more open to attack with none of the ground clutter... I think the stuff you have added into the forground is distracting from the figure. And without the hair she seams stiff and rigid...sorry...but I liked it before all the changes.

K.

MichaelZHsee
08-22-2005, 08:02 AM
i like the second one better~the way her hair is tied up is looking good,i'm also agreed with the warmer skies but i think it looks pretty good having it cool now,as it contrast it with the warm color outfit of her.so far i think its good:)keep it going andi~

ps:do u think its alil too centralised?just an opinion and a question?

Monster_General
08-22-2005, 09:46 AM
Second one looks more good , Short hair makes her more Warrior looking :thumbsup:

MastahUK
08-22-2005, 11:55 AM
Personally, I think this would be better if you didn't add warm highlights to the sky. I like how the warm highlights on the character contrast the cold background that she is defending from. Maybe some hints of flames in the foreground could explain her warm highlights - perhaps the enemy set fire to her village and she is one of the few survivors?

kaspaxl
08-22-2005, 06:15 PM
Really nice :)

I would sugest that you keep strokes horizontal when painting the floor. Specially between her legs, as that should give the background more depth.

Also, i think you should give the incoming horde a little more caracter, maybe by making the upper countour against the sky more irregular and drawing something easily identifiable. Like a big ogre or banners, etc...

Well, those are my two cents... i'll keep an eye here. :)
--kaspaxl

P.S.: Is "identifiable" an english word? I kind of made that up on the go. :p

Euphrosyne
08-22-2005, 09:14 PM
This just keeps looking better and better. I love the update! The hair looks great that way.

OmeN2501
08-23-2005, 10:07 AM
how about some fire in front of her? or some embers? First plan is kinda empty for me... thou its still nice looking pic

beelow
08-23-2005, 07:08 PM
The pose looks stiff, maybe if you were to lean her towards the left side of the compostion it will work better,don't move her just lean her, this will make it more dynamic. This is just personal taste though, great start, holla!:thumbsup:

andreasrocha
08-24-2005, 08:33 AM
Taking into consideration most of what has been said, here is an update. The main change is the stance of her legs. I've been going around and around with these, and finally I decided for a more poetic stance, and not really a realistic, combat one. It's as if she was meditating before confronting the incoming army.

http://andreasrocha.no.sapo.pt/CGTalk/04BringEmOn/Bring-emOnD03.jpg

-Brittany- Thanks. About the warming of the sky...I have heard opinions tellling me to leave the cold background, too. I tried the "warming up" but the background somehow got mixed up with the foreground. Perhaps I could throw in some purples to give it some variation.

yAdam - Glad you like it. Thanks about pointing out the flaws in the arms. I hope they are corrected now.

kaylon - hmmm...sorry to hear that. Anyway, I tried to give her back some of the flowing hair without occluding her face. About the "foreground clutter", it was introduced to give more depth to the image and to give some kind of framing to the picture. One of the main problems, I think, is that it's far from finished and looks "clutterly" painted. I'll try to get around that, too.

sh@ke - Thanks...hmmm, too centered? You are probably right, but I think it's too late to change that now. Perhaps I will try some different framing afterwards. About the background, I'll probably leave it like that...

Monster_General - Thanks...I changed it a bit to what it was before, with the blowing hair.

MastahUK - Thanks. I also prefer the background colors like this; and adding warmer colors didn't quite help. Nice background story. I tried adding some flames to the foreground but they seem distracting. I'll probably have to define the foreground elements more to hint at destruction.

kaspaxl - Thanks. And you are completely right about the floor. Too distracting. Yeah, I think "identifiable" is English. Thanks for the background suggestions. I tried to implement them. It's still quite rough, though.

Euphrosyne - Thanks. I hope I didn't "downgrade" the image with this last udate.

ImeN2501 - Embers...I forgot to try that. Fire didn't really work...too distracting. Thanks!

beelow - Hmmm...You probably think I worsened the image with this even "stiffer" stance. I tried to give a plausible explanation above. Thanks for commenting!

Thanks everyone.

nocric
08-24-2005, 12:56 PM
I liked the first version a bit more, but this is great also. You have improved the picture so much. I hope I can also provide such good constructive critisism as the others here have done.

I have a suggestion.
I think you should loose the fade-over from the ground to the blue shadow of the on-coming army. Make it more sharp. Like, that the army's position would be better seen.

Could you explain me now why did you put her left leg standing on her toes? I don't understand that part. Right now, because I don't know why it is so it just looks wierd.

beelow
08-24-2005, 04:58 PM
Well her heel is off the ground now, which changes what I have said. you may want to put her in heels, because she is on her toes and it looks like it hurts, unless she's a ballet dancer or something. But, if you are comfortable with the stance then stick with it, remember you are the one that is doing the research so I will trust your judgement! I love that you have light the woman with warm colors against the cool backgound is off tha chain, I would just leave it like that personally, just work in a middle ground making some of the oncoming soldiers visable, until next time, Great stuff...Holla!:thumbsup:

andreasrocha
08-26-2005, 11:34 PM
Here is the almost final version. I would like to know what you think I can improve. Thanks!

http://andreasrocha.no.sapo.pt/CGTalk/04BringEmOn/Bring-emOnD04.jpg

nocric - Thanks. I introduced even more haze, so I think I went against what you suggested. But I changed the foot again, to a more stable position.

beelow - I changed her foot again. I hope it makes more sense now. I wanted to define the incoming army as a wall, almost. I don't know if the definition of the army standing on the ground would help. Nonehtless, thanks.you very much.

yAdam
08-26-2005, 11:46 PM
I like it:thumbsup: Really impressive clothing/costume design!

kaspaxl
08-27-2005, 12:24 AM
Wow!, those extra highlights, the darkening and texturing of the background make an impresive different. Was cool, now is plain awesome. :buttrock: Changing the stance also helps. She is using a Kendo stance (although pointing in the wrong direction, hehe ;) Practiced some of that myself. And some fencing too.

Molto belo Andrea.
--kaspaxl

Euphrosyne
08-27-2005, 08:03 AM
I am so glad that you put her foot back down. I like the textures you added it pulls it together. Really a beautiful painting.

MichaelZHsee
08-27-2005, 04:48 PM
great~!it turns out really nice,the colors fit perfectly :thumbsup:
those lil particle dust on the background really adds up to the piece.impressive work :bounce:

BrittanyRichardson
08-27-2005, 05:10 PM
:applause: Wow, looks great!
no more crits, looks finished.

andreasrocha
08-27-2005, 07:26 PM
Well...it's nearing completion. I made a two different color versions. Please let me know which one you prefer.

Thanks for all the help.

http://andreasrocha.no.sapo.pt/CGTalk/04BringEmOn/Bring-emOnD05.jpg

teal-k
08-28-2005, 02:47 PM
waoo andrea its a very inpressive piece , my compliments
the only comment i have is that her butt seems somewhat flat which is more like a personal thing than a comment :) something in her general anatomy doesnt sit quite right with me,did you use reference?

also i dont quite understand the lights , it seems like you have a light source coming from the left and also from behind those dark dudes how is that possible?

Euphrosyne
08-29-2005, 04:30 AM
Hi, this is great choices. As they are version A looks the best to me I like the way the blue and oranges liven it up. I like version B also but I would like to see figure maintain the oranges in her costume. So what I am saying is keep the figure as in version A and put is with the background in version B. Violet and orange actually look good together. You might try it and see what you think. Just my opinion. They all look beautiful. I think her butt is perfect. Not all women have big round butts.

BrittanyRichardson
08-29-2005, 04:54 AM
Oooh... All the color versions work.
I, personally would go with either Version A or B, simply because the central figure stands out more. Blue and orange is a vibrant cobonation in A, while there's more of a warmth in B. Either would look great.
You've done a wonderful job! :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
08-29-2005, 04:54 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.