PDA

View Full Version : To learn old Shake ? (Win, 2.5)

Obi
08-20-2005, 12:52 PM
Hi!

I would like to learn shake 2.5 under windows, but the company will use shake 3.5 for linux. Do I have to learn 3.5 under linux, or the 2.5 version is OK? (Ofcourse there are some changes, but can I learn to that level, so I can get a job with this knowledge? Will it be a problem, if I do not learn the linux, and newer version? )

Thx in advance, and sorry because my english:(

mummey
08-20-2005, 05:02 PM
In either case, where the heck are you getting the license from?

janimatic
08-20-2005, 05:09 PM
Hello!

yes i think you can learn using 2.5, because the most important is to understand how to get advanced results by combining primitive tools (and understanding how it works internally). This is what i love with shake : it doesn't hide internal so you really know what you are doing and how to optimise things. The higher versions updates mainly add simpler tools hiding this internal stuff, so it may be easier. Also there might be binaries incompatibilities with plug-ins (which also hide this internal stuff).
I'd say do as much as you can with portable macros (instead of plugs) - 2.5 will put you on this way.
But though, we are not supposed to use a version which ain't sold anymore, because it implies that it is a crack, except if you bought it years ago of course...
best regards

Obi
08-20-2005, 10:32 PM
Thx a lot! So I`ll stick with 2.5 under win. Because If it`s not needed I don`t want to play for the update (or the full new program).

And yes... it`s quite an old version. Why I just started to learn know? Because it`s needed now, but the company has the license.

Thanks again, I`ve just ordered my Shake3 book from Amazon, hope it will arrive soon :) And start to learn... (I`ve played with the program, did the tutorial what comes with the program, but it`s not to much.)

Aneks
08-22-2005, 12:19 PM
there is no reason that one cannot learn the guts of shake from older versions ie 2.5 you wont have the warper any of the new features in V4. But all the core elements are identical.Most folks learnt on versions earlier than that !!!

All my tuts have been re written to work for 2.51 on Windows so you could probably use them on 2.5.

T.

Sparkle
08-30-2005, 12:55 PM
If you have the spare money you should get the Gnomon Shake learning DVDs. Learning Shake is pretty much a breeze with these.
I wasn't too thrilled with the Shake 3 book. There was some stuff in there that I had the feeling was explained unneccesarily complicated. Well, it might work for you.

In my opinion Shake is an incredible powerful Programm and (most important) it is actually fun to use. The more I use it the more I start to hate After Effects (Though I know they don't really stand side by side in terms of their purpose).

Anyways, I wish you best of luck learning Shake.

Greets,
Sparkle

vinnyio
08-30-2005, 04:03 PM
I would highly recommend the Gnomon Shake learning DVDs. Bought 3 of them recently and they are great for a refresher course of just learning from scratch.

One of the best things about the shake3 book is that you get a dvd full of source clips to practice on,

sneakykiwi
08-31-2005, 03:41 PM
Hi all,I have all the shake dvds and they are great the only issue I had was that if I wanted to play them on linux ) they are hidden as apple mov's. Spent a bit of time setting up xine to play them...why can apple give QT to liunx since apple released Shake for liunx.
regarding Shake 2.5 on windows...I have seen that the core of shake is the same just extra features.
You can learn the basics on 2.5 but I would recommend Shake 3 or above.

:)

CGTalk Moderation
08-31-2005, 03:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.