PDA

View Full Version : King of Black Pieces...

tayete
08-20-2005, 10:26 AM
Well, I will try to create all the pieces of a chess, and here is the first concept: the king of Blacks. I like the visual impact of african clothes, so I guess my first choice has been to create an african King for the Blacks. He will be holding and old XIX gun, and a spear...

He is at the first stages, and I didn't want to go further without some critics...before it is too late :)

When I finish this one I think I will create the King of Whites, just to see which way to go in both armies. I was thinking that maybe Whites could be some old japanese style army...I don't know. Still have to think about it a lot.

So, here it is: THE KING OF BLACK PIECES!
http://www.tayete.com/sketches/050819%20black%20king_001.jpg

CGmonkey
08-20-2005, 12:20 PM
howyadoin' mon!

you've got a nice skintone, I can't make out the rest of the scene so I can't critizise much.

Looking forward to see updates!

tayete
08-20-2005, 03:15 PM
Well, starting to add some detail. I decided to take the gun away as someone suggested in another forum.

I am having some trouble in taking the viewer's sight to the face, so I added that collar (anyways it was decided before even starting the picture) in a light value, which I think makes the effect. By the same reason I lowered the value of the trousers...

Any critics before it is too late? ;)

http://www.tayete.com/sketches/050819blackkinggreen.jpg

umbrellasky
08-20-2005, 03:22 PM
wow this si really coming along nicely! I really love the colours you painted here, and the overall concept sounds great!. Nice work on the skin tones! :)

Euphrosyne
08-20-2005, 04:00 PM
Nice start, great colors and costume design. I like the pose of the king too. I'm waiting to see whats next.

tayete
08-20-2005, 06:04 PM
Thank you all for the encouragement!
Enialadam, nice pictures the ones of your signature!!! They remind me a bit of Enayla's work, which is one of my favourite digital artists (in fact, when I saw the greens that were appearing at this King's picture I inmediatly thought of her). Good work!

Euphrosyne, your nick fits really well in an art forum ;)

Well, some more details added. I am trying to stay in the colour scheme, and avoid incoherences.
I am not too happy with how the spear is developing. Maybe I'll change it completely.
The lower part of the picture (legs, etc...) seems to be ok without too much detail, so when I start refining it I'll try to keep details low, soften edges, etc... so attention goes to the upper torso. Let's see if I can stand adding too much detail ;)

Well, I am trying a pattern for the clothes that pops the figure out, fitting with the background too. This one seems to work. What do you think?
http://www.tayete.com/sketches/050819blackking003.jpg

umbrellasky
08-20-2005, 09:59 PM
Thankyou for looking at my paintings, I'm glad you liked them :)

I quite like the patterns, maybe tone them down a little bit so they don't stand out too much. They look good though.

I realy like the pattern that you put on his hat thing in your previous post. Are you thinking of keeping that?

Great work!

Euphrosyne
08-21-2005, 01:05 AM
This is coming along nicely, I liked the hat or crown design too, but my guess is that you are thinking about something you might like better. If might seem more african to have blockier type prints on the fabric instead of so many stripes. These are just thoughts that you can take or leave. Keep going this will be a nice painting.

tayete
08-21-2005, 11:10 AM
Well, here is the last update, and unless anyone says anything else, I'll publish it later at "finished" after signing and adding last details...

I painted again the crown's shapes by public petition...
I changed the spear as it seemed awkardly positioned. Still not too happy with it, but I think it will pass by now.
I'd like some critics about values, as it is the thing that concerns me the most right now. Are they fine? should I lower any part? Should I lift another?

Thanks all for your wise advices!

http://www.tayete.com/sketches/050819blackking008.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
08-21-2005, 11:10 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.